Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 03-31-2012, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Also good to point out that those were NFL teams who made the 4th round comment. We dont need to imply that Casserly knows what he's talking about.
While I agree that Casserly has made mistakes numerous times about prospects, he did draft 10 HoFers as a GM over 16 years. That's not a bad average IMO. I feel that I know some of his weaknesses but I still look forward to his comments on prospects because I feel like he does work hard at his current job.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A late first round is not that risky a pick. If a team misses on a late first round QB, they can move on rather quickly. See the Broncos as evidence of that. If they hit, well, obviously it's good for an organization when they hit on a talented QB prospect.

Last edited by Halsey : 03-31-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:58 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still only think Luck, RG3 and Tannehill will be the 1st round QB's. Either Cleveland or Miami will likely draft a QB in the 2/3 round, players like Brandon Weeden, Kirk Cousins, Brock Osweiler and Nick Foles will all be in play.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Clarkw267
Rookie

Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Osweiler has Flacco type physical tools with better athleticism. The question marks with him are all mental. I think he goes in the 2nd.
Clarkw267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
i'd rather have osweiler in the second round than tannehill with the 4th overall pick
Best post of this entire thread. I just don't see too much difference between Tannehill and Osweiler. Both tall, athletic guys, both are limited in their experience and both are project players. Neither of these guys warrant a first round pick in my opinion.
Asteinebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere...

http://arizonasports.com/44/1522333/...en-room-invite

https://twitter.com/?tw_e=screenname...81368121712640

Quote:
Just received a green room invitation from the NFL! So appreciative and thankful to be asked! Been a dream of mine since I was 8 years old.
Green room invite suggests 1st or 2nd round. Interesting.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Clarkw267
Rookie

Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Clarkw267 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In a related note.. Casserly is an idiot.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:59 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
A late first round is not that risky a pick. If a team misses on a late first round QB, they can move on rather quickly. See the Broncos as evidence of that. If they hit, well, obviously it's good for an organization when they hit on a talented QB prospect.
yeah but passing on someone else who can actually help as opposed to developmental quarterback just b/c its not a premium pick isn't necessarily a good idea, yeah its less risky, but is it the best decision? not really. unless its an aaron rogers situation where a guy just slides to you, reaching for a qb hasn't worked out for alot teams in the past i.e. jason campbell

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 03-31-2012 at 04:24 PM.
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:03 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Osweiler reminds me of Big Ben. I think he has that type of potential as a projected starter. I do not think he can start right away though. Roethlisberger had alot more playing time in college than Osweiler but they both are physically similar guys. Ben had knocks on him coming out - level of competition/playing out of ths Big Ben has gained weight since he came into the league but has always been exceptional at extending plays by his feet or by his sheer size, I think Osweiler has those some traits, its just a matter if he is able to use those like Ben has.

I think Osweiler could develop into a quality starter down the road but do not think he could have the instant success of physically similar guys - Big Ben/Flacco. Drafting him in the first would be a stretch IMO, late 2nd/early 3rd round is where he probably belongs.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cousins > Osweiler

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Clarkw267
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
Cousins > Osweiler
Ricky Stanzi > Cousins... so no.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Mallett lasts til the third, Osweiler better not go in the first.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Clarkw267
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
If Mallett lasts til the third, Osweiler better not go in the first.
Mallett is a statue. Osweiler has the athletic ability to go along with the size. Not saying he should go in the 1st by any means, but I think early-mid 2nd would be fine for him.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
While I agree that Casserly has made mistakes numerous times about prospects, he did draft 10 HoFers as a GM over 16 years. That's not a bad average IMO. I feel that I know some of his weaknesses but I still look forward to his comments on prospects because I feel like he does work hard at his current job.
I know you like him and he has been around the game a long time. Having said that he really lost a lot of credibility with me by trashing Locker and Cam Newton last year and pretty much annointing Blaine Gabbert as the best QB in the draft. How do you recover from that.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkw267 View Post
Mallett is a statue. Osweiler has the athletic ability to go along with the size. Not saying he should go in the 1st by any means, but I think early-mid 2nd would be fine for him.
And I'm not saying Mallett should've gone in the first. But his arm's better than Osweiler's, and Osweiler's athleticism isn't enough to separate the two when you look at college production, development and their respective levels of success against levels of competition. Mallett was a huge QB who sometimes dominated in the SEC, Osweiler is a huge QB who occasionally doesn't look terrible against PAC-12 teams.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:47 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
If it is an organic 1st round pick, I agree. If they move up from the second round and give up next year's 1st rounder to do so, now it is quite a sacrifice.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Clarkw267
Rookie

Quote:
And I'm not saying Mallett should've gone in the first. But his arm's better than Osweiler's, and Osweiler's athleticism isn't enough to separate the two when you look at college production, development and their respective levels of success against levels of competition. Mallett was a huge QB who sometimes dominated in the SEC, Osweiler is a huge QB who occasionally doesn't look terrible against PAC-12 teams.
Yes Mallett's arm is better. He has one of the best arms in football. But you can't just compare stats and production as if all things were equal. Mallett was in a better offense, with better weapons. Not to mention all of the character concerns that there were about Mallett are what kept him out of the 2nd round IMO.

I think both guys are/were 2nd round prospects.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:12 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes Mallett's arm is better. He has one of the best arms in football. But you can't just compare stats and production as if all things were equal. Mallett was in a better offense, with better weapons. Not to mention all of the character concerns that there were about Mallett are what kept him out of the 2nd round IMO.

I think both guys are/were 2nd round prospects.
Not to 'jack this thread, but the ONLY thing that kept Mallett out of the first round and probably the top 10 were the drug rumors.

There's really no comparison between Mallett and Osweiler other than height.
Mallett was a dominant college QB who may have the best arm in the NFL right now riding the bench for the Pats.

Osweiler was maybe the 4th best QB in the Pac 12 in 2011.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Not to 'jack this thread, but the ONLY thing that kept Mallett out of the first round and probably the top 10 were the drug rumors.
This is false. I can name a handful of guys who went high despite drug rumors, and there are even guys who tested positive at the combine for pot, etc. and still went high. Guys with steroid rumors have gone high, too. If he'd had what GMs wanted, he'd have gone in round 1. While the rumors certainly didn't help him, there were still plenty of questions about his system, his composure against the rush (That was a big one) his attitude, etc. You can't just peg it on a cocaine rumor.

Quote:
There's really no comparison between Mallett and Osweiler other than height.
How about relatively limited mobility, a strong arm, streaky accuracy, an underwhelming pocket presence and a bit of a reputation as a partier?

Quote:
Osweiler was maybe the 4th best QB in the Pac 12 in 2011.
I'll give you that.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 03-31-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I can name a handful of guys who went high despite drug rumors, and there are even guys who tested positive at the combine for pot, etc. and still went high.
No pun intended.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ricky Stanzi > Cousins... so no.
The two aren't mutually exclusive

Stanzi > Cousins > Osweiler > Gabbert

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.

Last edited by Brothgar : 03-31-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:12 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This is false. I can name a handful of guys who went high despite drug rumors, and there are even guys who tested positive at the combine for pot, etc. and still went high. Guys with steroid rumors have gone high, too. If he'd had what GMs wanted, he'd have gone in round 1. While the rumors certainly didn't help him, there were still plenty of questions about his system, his composure against the rush (That was a big one) his attitude, etc. You can't just peg it on a cocaine rumor.

How about relatively limited mobility, a strong arm, streaky accuracy, an underwhelming pocket presence and a bit of a reputation as a partier?

I'll give you that.
Yeah, you can peg it on a cocaine rumor. Having pot issues isn't nearly the same thing as people whispering a prospect likes to crush 8-balls after home games.

Add to the fact that he and Matt Jones both went to Arkansas, and Matt Jones is already out of the league because of his cocaine issues, and Mallett's reputation IMO just scared teams off.

Listen and read Mallett's predraft reports. Most analysts gushed about his tools and almost universally called him the most pro ready QB in the 2011 draft.
So why did inferior prospects like Locker/Gabbert/Ponder/Dalton/Kaepernick all get drafted before him???

Being a mild alcoholic or a recreational weed head in college, most NFL coaches can give you a laundry list of players with a similar profile who went on to have long professional careers.

However very few guys with coke problems last in the league.
IMO I don't think Mallett is a snow fiend, but it's no money out of my pocket if his nose falls off either.

You don't drop to the 3rd round with the arm talent and production Mallett had in the SEC for two seasons because of minor pocket presence issues and a slow 40.

Osweiler has excellent mobility for a 6'7 QB, unlike Mallett. Osweiler just doesn't have Mallett's arm, which doesn't mean Osweiler can't spin it.

Bottom line, Osweiler just wasn't a good college QB and there's no way he grades as a first round prospect.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:32 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Osweiler reminds me of Big Ben. I think he has that type of potential as a projected starter. I do not think he can start right away though. Roethlisberger had alot more playing time in college than Osweiler but they both are physically similar guys. Ben had knocks on him coming out - level of competition/playing out of ths Big Ben has gained weight since he came into the league but has always been exceptional at extending plays by his feet or by his sheer size, I think Osweiler has those some traits, its just a matter if he is able to use those like Ben has.

I think Osweiler could develop into a quality starter down the road but do not think he could have the instant success of physically similar guys - Big Ben/Flacco. Drafting him in the first would be a stretch IMO, late 2nd/early 3rd round is where he probably belongs.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:33 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgrenade View Post
Osweiler is worse than Gabbert.

That is all you need to know....
How many Sun Devil games did you see last year?

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:47 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ58 View Post
How many Sun Devil games did you see last year?
its not like gabbert doesn't have talent(even though he should have been a 2nd rd pick), most people have judged him on his rookie season which really wasn't his fault, the organization setup him up to fail. of what i've seen of osweiler, i saw one game live and some game clips online, i would have taken gabbert over him not b/c gabbert is a superior player, but osweiler is so inexperienced combined with played in an offense where he didnt have make any nfl throws or progressions