Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 03-21-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjs View Post
Marcus Nash what was his deal, just a plain bust or why did he fail?? Sorry for being ramdom....LOL
idk, but it sure wasn't talent, he is one of Arena Football leagues top 10 recievers in every single category practically

http://www.arenafootball.com/ViewArt...0&ATCLID=96443

Last edited by Jimmy : 03-21-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:56 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
idk, but it sure wasn't talent, he is one of Arena Football leagues top 10 recievers in every single category practically

http://www.arenafootball.com/ViewArt...0&ATCLID=96443
He an Thanks for the info jimmy and and nxj9.

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:40 PM    (permalink
M
Rookie

M hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I could easily see us trading out of the first round this year for "future picks." I would not be upset because unlike most I think our biggest concern is S over the DL. Lynch is a liability, DL is comptent but not a liability. My opinon that others disagree with.

Do not be suprised if Bly is on the block and traded prior to the draft.
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:22 AM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i also am starting to strongly believe, however disgusted it makes me, that we will not be picking in the first round this year. we should be right up against the cap, and i just can't see us being able to sign a high end rookie and i don't see the value at any positions of need if we stand pat.
Haven't been around much these days and rarely came on, but this post just made me chuckle.

Broncos fans year in and year out keep on talking about the cap and how they cannot afford certain players. Look, the Denver Broncos have brought in what, around ten free agents this off-season in to compete. Travis Henry and Daniel Graham alone cost upwards of around 50 million dollars over the course of their careers. Add into that, Dre' Bly - who has a five million dollar cap figure and Patrick Ramsey who will be making a couple million each year as a back-up, the other guys each got signed to contracts around a million dollars each. If Denver wants to do something, they'll go after it.

The salary of someone at #21 will probably be what, a five year deal - five million dollar signing bonus and maybe 7 to 8 million dollars in base salary around that. I'd probably say it'd max out at fifteen million dollars. The only reason Denver won't draft in the first is if they opt to spin out if they feel that no impact pass rusher has value at #21 or a secondary option they have is not there. Trading out of the first-round actually isn't a bad idea, but by no means is it for financial reasons.

The Broncos have been in talks (not just rumors, it's actually true) with Washington and Detroit for their respective picks. Granted, that dumping Bly would save money on our cap and getting rid of Wilson if he were to go to Detroit would save money too. If Denver wants something, they'll take it. It's time that Denver fans stop worrying about the cap and all that jargon, a year or two from now - all the dead money will be gone. Even with the contracts signed this year, Denver is still poised to have MORE money next year to play around with.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:28 AM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M View Post
I could easily see us trading out of the first round this year for "future picks." I would not be upset because unlike most I think our biggest concern is S over the DL. Lynch is a liability, DL is comptent but not a liability. My opinon that others disagree with.

Do not be suprised if Bly is on the block and traded prior to the draft.
The Broncos were considering safety last year in the first-round, and they had no idea that Jay Cutler would fall to them. As it turns out, it was revealed that Shanahan loved Donte Whitner and it was his back-up to Maroney at fifteen had a deal not happened which gave us Jay Cutler. So I think you're right that safety is a huge need, but whether or not it's bigger than defensive line is questionable.

A few sources have revealed that the Broncos have bought extensive film on defensive lineman, offensive tackles and defensive backs - in particular safeties. It's pretty clear where Denver is going to go on draft day, but WHEN they're going to select those options is completely up in the air.

I could see Denver taking a kid like Michael Griffin at #21. They could possible move up and take Reggie Nelson. What Denver needs, in Bates' defense - is a pure ball-hawk to manage deep halves of the field in case the corners get beat in man-to-man. Griffin can play either spot in the NFL. There is also value in the second and third rounds at this position as well, so maybe we don't have to pull the trigger right there in the first.

Griffin is a high priority pick for the Broncos. He's a great leader, a special teams ace and is solid in run support and pretty good in coverage. He fits all the criteria the Broncos look for when making a selection and would be a damn good one.

It's still true that Bly could be traded, but the team will have to compensate accordingly. Washington doesn't have the second-round or other round picks of interest to do a deal just straight up, so the likely event (which is unlikely, but the most likely of events for Bly to be traded) is a Denver move to #6, which would include at least #21, #56 and Bly - and probably a future third-rounder or so.

All that aside, the Broncos will be looking to upgrade the aforementioned positions on draft day. I still say, don't sleep on receiver, because the signings of Stokley, etc. are just insurance in case Rod can't recover full-time. Denver needs younger guys for the future, and if the value is there - I'd expect Shanahan to take it.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 AM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Brewster wouldn't have any knowledge of Russell being at Minnesota since he just got there and since he wasn't on the team, there are probably only a few coaches left or players that have something to say about him, and in the unlikely event that they got quality information, I'm sure most would be actually negative regarding a player who couldn't make the field because of academic problems.

Russell is not Maurice Clarett, but the Broncos don't need to even take another risk. I was speechless when Marion Barber III, was there at #101 (compensatory third-rounder) and we passed on him. Look at him now. Just another draft blunder by Shanahan.

What this could help the Broncos with are guys like Amir Pinnix and Ernie Wheelwright, who are elligible for the draft next year (I'm positive they are both seniors) and could be selections for the Broncos as late-day one or middle-round prospects. The Broncos Coaching Tree under Shanahan keeps getting bigger, and it certainly helps.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:14 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Looks like the Giants are looking to acquire Al Wilson and the talks between the 2 teams are heating up.

What do you think Shanny is interested in for Wilson?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:31 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
Looks like the Giants are looking to acquire Al Wilson and the talks between the 2 teams are heating up.

What do you think Shanny is interested in for Wilson?

Well I really hope we don't trade him. He's one of the big leaders of our defense. But if we did trade him, I'd say:

Time machine
Rights to Lawrence Taylor

That would do it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:32 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

haha yea please, if we had that time machine, im not so sure we'd be trading it away lol we could sure use LT ourselves
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:09 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
haha yea please, if we had that time machine, im not so sure we'd be trading it away lol we could sure use LT ourselves

NO AL WILSON FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-27-2007, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy
Quote:
being good in the afl means absoltuely nothing in terms of nfl caliber talent, i didn't think that would've needed mentioning.
well, i never said he had nfl caliber talent.. did i? quote me.. and second did say he had talent... dont get me wrong, he sucked, but he Was a first round draft pick and a star at Tennessee... that requires some talent...
and "i didn't think that would've needed mentioning."

i mean its the equivalent of saying ryan leaf had no talent, or maybe more closely compared, charles rogers. Just because their game didn't translate into the pro level doesn't mean they lack talent. Their ethic may have been bad, they may have not had intangibles, but i think talent is out of the question. they were college stars. Marcus just didnt have what others had which is drive to be a great nfl player.

Last edited by Jimmy : 03-27-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
anyone want to make some sort of wager that we will not address the DL until at least round 5? i know we don't have a pick currently in that round.
I would laugh at this... but it has that all-too-close-to-the-truth ring to it that leaves me feeling uneasy. Shanny has tried to get by with a second-rate (third? fourth?) DL for a long time... is there any reason to believe he'll change his evil ways this time around?

If Wilson is gone, I suspect Shanny will be looking for a strong side linebacker on day 1... perhaps even round 1 (Timmons?). That would certainly be more in character for him, as he seems to value LBs. Defensive back or receiver in round 2 wouldn't be shocking either, so it could be in the 3rd before DL is even considered.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:35 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

NJX, outside of the first round, what positions do you see us addressing on day one?
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:28 AM    (permalink
M
Rookie

Default thoughts

UFA - when can they actually contact them to offer a position as a UFA if they do not get drafted? Does anyone know the rules on this or is it prohibited until after the draft to make this offer?

Romance Taylor (PR and practice squad RB)

Melvin Bullitt, S, Texas A&M (6-1, 201 pounds)
Key numbers: 4.48 40-yard dash, 40-inch vertical jump, 3.97 short shuttle, 10-5 broad jump
Look at the SS time
Old 04-03-2007, 07:40 PM    (permalink
M
Rookie

Slow times on the draft front apparently!
Old 04-04-2007, 12:34 AM    (permalink
M
Rookie

Default Todd Sauerbrun reached deal w Broncos

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2824469

Apparently NE can match in next 7 days however terms are not release, and no details if a poision pill contained in language.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:32 PM    (permalink
M
Rookie

Default Clarification

The question actually relates to the issue of when can you enter a contact with a player. Can you contact a player before the draft and offer them a contract IF they do not get drafted. Can you have the player sign this contract prior to the draft? Does this violate any NFL rules to make this offer prior to the draft on the condition that a prospect goes undrafted. I seems that about 50 players announce their signings right within hours after the draft. The question is want to know is have any of these undrafted prospects signed the contract with the teams that pick them up after the draft prior to the draft on the condition that it obviously only goes into effect if they are undrafted, or again, does this violate the NFL rules?

If it is not illegal why not offer the prospects that you think are late rounders a contract now on the condition that they may not get drafted (such as Ramonce Taylor and Melvin Bullitt). If they get drafted, no big deal and it costs you nothing. If they go undrafted you have their rights and these are "perfect" special team / practice squad player (in that they cost next to nothing and every year an undrafted free agent seems to make the team as a backup (see Bell from Arizona last year), or as a great 2 year project to see if they develop.

If they suck, you cut them and it costs you pennies on the dollar to find out.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:39 AM    (permalink
KBear
All-Pro

KBear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I was under the impression that teams did contact prospects towards the end of the draft that they would be interested in signing them if they go undrafted. I dont know about negotitating deals before the draft ends though.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:18 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Sauerbrun pwns. I want him bad.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-07-2007, 10:29 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't know if anyone cares, but Mike Bell has switched his number to 30.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:54 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by elway777 View Post
I don't know if anyone cares, but Mike Bell has switched his number to 30.
meh, terrell was our best RB ever, and theres not a lot we can do, its just a #.. i guess trav henry bought #20 of bell
Old 04-09-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
M
Rookie

Default so much for getting him back

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2831360

Pats match Broncos' offer to hold on to Sauerbrun
Old 04-10-2007, 12:01 AM    (permalink
M
Rookie

Default Things can always be worse

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

I remember most of these picks unfortunately, but this video clip never gets old.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not getting Sauerbrun is unfortunate. Seemed like a lot of money, but our special teams were a disaster last year. Winning the field position war is an important, but often overlooked, piece of the puzzle.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:02 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

Field position is gonna kill us next year.