Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
The 49ers are doing exactly this right now.
Well hopefully we aren't placing our faith in Jacobs to fill that role.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
That was actually a proposed rule change this offseason, spearheaded by the Bills of all teams, but didn't pass.

The rumor has always been that the league wants someone actually on the field making the final call. They're afraid that if the call goes up to the booth and a decision is made there exclusively, it'll be viewed as the call "coming down from the ivory tower." (I don't remember who put it that way, but it's fitting.)

All of the people who believe that football is fixed will argue that any questionable call is being made by the league office to influence the games for gambling reasons or something equally asinine.

My personal theory is that it didn't pass because challenges are a time where the league can sell more advertising. The league wants to find a balance between "sell the most advertising" and "the game is too long to keep the fans engaged." Keeping lengthy challenge procedures where the official has to go over and make the call guarantees an extra few commercial breaks per game.

But in all seriousness, that rule change is one that needs made sooner rather than later.

Aye, I almost put something in there about the Eagles winning that division. I think I'll wait until closer to the season to do a "predictions" thread for that kind of thing though. Things could change.

We've seen before where the Giants will have success and then get complacent. A good portion of the team just doesn't seem to be made up of guys who give 100% all the time, and it's further complicated by your coordinators doing idiotic things.

Press the Giants and you get the most dangerous team in football. Insert them as frontrunners though, and you end up with a team tries to coast a little too much for their own good.
This is true, but don't forget, in 08 we were like 11-1 until Plax shot himself. We probably would have won the SB that year if it wasn't for Plax. And the reason for that was the team felt slighted in the offseason. They took offense to the notion that they were just a lucky team that wasn't that good.

This year you can already feel the same tension. The Eagles are more favored to win the SB than the Giants are. I can guarantee you that will resonate in the lockerroom and they're going to take the "nobody believes in us" approach to the season again like they did in 08.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
This is true, but don't forget, in 08 we were like 11-1 until Plax shot himself. We probably would have won the SB that year if it wasn't for Plax. And the reason for that was the team felt slighted in the offseason. They took offense to the notion that they were just a lucky team that wasn't that good.

This year you can already feel the same tension. The Eagles are more favored to win the SB than the Giants are. I can guarantee you that will resonate in the lockerroom and they're going to take the "nobody believes in us" approach to the season again like they did in 08.
Plus I think we'll start slow next year as Fewell tries to re-implement his zone-option coverages. Like with Gilbride, I get the idea of why he wants to do things that way, but NFL players aren't smart enough to do that with them unless you're keeping the same guys around for years and years and never face injuries.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:48 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

"We would have had a better chance" of winning the Superbowl maybe. That's a little too much extrapolation there.

Losing 3 of 4 to end the year then getting kicked in the balls at home in the playoffs is attributable to more than one stupid player doing something something stupid.

As for the Eagles this year, part of the reason why I'm kind of liking them right now is because I expect the Giants to step back. The Giants seem to be lousy front runners and I think the Eagles are best poised to take advantage of that.

There is still a lot of offseason to go and my opinion may and probably will change in some way, but I'm not in love with the Giants next season. If I were a betting person, I'd definitely bet against them repeating. As you yourself said, repeating is going to be damn hard for anyone in today's league anyway. I wouldn't go as far to bet against them winning the division or making the playoffs right now, but neither would surprise me if it happened.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
"We would have had a better chance" of winning the Superbowl maybe. That's a little too much extrapolation there.

Losing 3 of 4 to end the year then getting kicked in the balls at home in the playoffs is attributable to more than one stupid player doing something something stupid.

As for the Eagles this year, part of the reason why I'm kind of liking them right now is because I expect the Giants to step back. The Giants seem to be lousy front runners and I think the Eagles are best poised to take advantage of that.

There is still a lot of offseason to go and my opinion may and probably will change in some way, but I'm not in love with the Giants next season. If I were a betting person, I'd definitely bet against them repeating. As you yourself said, repeating is going to be damn hard for anyone in today's league anyway. I wouldn't go as far to bet against them winning the division or making the playoffs right now, but neither would surprise me if it happened.
Not really. Without PLax our passing game fell apart because all of our route patterns were built off of the attention that Plax was drawing that year. Without him our entire passing game could no longer function which took away our balance and crippled the rushing attack as teams could sell out against the run. We weren't a lock to win, but losing Plax was absolutely crippling that season.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You had 52 other guys who needed to step up and not suck. Situations like that rally some teams and send others into defeat mode.

If they hadn't just won the Superbowl, maybe it would have galvanized them to win that one. Instead....complacency?

Hopefully none of your players shoot themselves this year, but if the Giants dig into an early hole because of coordinating shenanigans, they might be a little too complacent to rally like they did late last year.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
You had 52 other guys who needed to step up and not suck. Situations like that rally some teams and send others into defeat mode.

If they hadn't just won the Superbowl, maybe it would have galvanized them to win that one. Instead....complacency?

Hopefully none of your players shoot themselves this year, but if the Giants dig into an early hole because of coordinating shenanigans, they might be a little too complacent to rally like they did late last year.
Problem is that the only player on the current team that we depend on as greatly as we did Plax is Eli, and if Eli goes down with 4 games to go in the season, no amount of galvanizing will lead the giants to another SB. Without Plax we just didn't have anyone who could get open without Plax drawing the defenses attention and the plays as drawn up no longer worked. I'm sure there was complacency there, but Plax was really just the absolutely worst person on the roster not named Eli for us to see hurt.

This year Eli's the only guy who's truly irreplaceable. If Cruz goes down we've still got Nicks n the youngins, if Nicks goes down than vice versa. If Tuck or JPP goes down we've still got the other one, Osi and Kiwi, if Webster goes down we still have TT, Prince and the inside guys like Bruce Johnson and Tryon, if Rolle goes down we've still got Kenny, TT, Sash/Grant. That year Plax and Eli were the irreplaceables.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-02-2012, 05:17 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Problem is that the only player on the current team that we depend on as greatly as we did Plax is Eli, and if Eli goes down with 4 games to go in the season, no amount of galvanizing will lead the giants to another SB. Without Plax we just didn't have anyone who could get open without Plax drawing the defenses attention and the plays as drawn up no longer worked. I'm sure there was complacency there, but Plax was really just the absolutely worst person on the roster not named Eli for us to see hurt.

This year Eli's the only guy who's truly irreplaceable. If Cruz goes down we've still got Nicks n the youngins, if Nicks goes down than vice versa. If Tuck or JPP goes down we've still got the other one, Osi and Kiwi, if Webster goes down we still have TT, Prince and the inside guys like Bruce Johnson and Tryon, if Rolle goes down we've still got Kenny, TT, Sash/Grant. That year Plax and Eli were the irreplaceables.
QBs are exempt from that, obviously. The instances of a team succeeding after it's starting QB goes down are dwarfed ten-fold by the instances of where the team crashes and burns.

But for any other position, short of losing a truly all world talent, there are no excuses for finishing 1-3 then getting shellacked in the playoffs.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That 2008 Giants winning streak was the best football I've ever seen played by them which is really saying something considering the 2 SB streaks we had. They just dominated teams during that time.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:35 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, the "best" regular season team has won the Super Bowl twice in the past 10 seasons.

2011: Packers, 15-1
2010: Patriots, 14-2
2009: Colts, 14-2
2008: Titans, 13-3
2007: Patriots, 16-0
2006: Chargers, 14-2
2005: Colts, 14-2
2004: Steelers, 15-1
2003: Patriots, 14-2
2002: Eagles/Packers/Bucs, 12-4

It hardly follows that a dominant 11-1 start means you will "probably" win the Super Bowl.

Last edited by WCH : 04-02-2012 at 05:46 PM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the "best" regular season team has won the Super Bowl once in the past 10 seasons.

2011: Packers, 15-1
2010: Patriots, 14-2
2009: Colts, 14-2
2008: Titans, 13-3
2007: Patriots, 16-0
2006: Chargers, 14-2
2005: Colts, 14-2
2004: Steelers, 15-1
2003: Patriots, 14-2
2002: Eagles/Packers, 12-4

It hardly follows that an 11-1 start means you will "probably" win the Super Bowl.
The Buccaneers finished the 2002 season with a 12-4 record as well.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:44 PM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
The Buccaneers finished the 2002 season with a 12-4 record as well.
Good eye. Edited the original post.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:06 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

The Bucs were the 2 seed behind the Eagles though. Record wise, sure, but they weren't top seeded.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im obviously biased but I think the Ravens are no where near a 500 record. I agree Harbs picks his OC/DC like its a ******* rec league team picking your friends and letting them do there thing and that will keep us away from a ring but I still think we will be playoff contenders. Losing Grubbs will hurt but its a LG and he isnt a larry allen type G. He is a top 10 G maybe top 5 so I expect Rices production to decrease. Ray and Reed are the only really old guys on our D but when Ray went down last season we werent screwed and when Reed went down 2 seasons ago we werent screwed either. We will be what we always have been with harbaugh. The best 2nd tier team or the worst 1st tier team. However you wanna consider it.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:35 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Im obviously biased but I think the Ravens are no where near a 500 record. I agree Harbs picks his OC/DC like its a ******* rec league team picking your friends and letting them do there thing and that will keep us away from a ring but I still think we will be playoff contenders. Losing Grubbs will hurt but its a LG and he isnt a larry allen type G. He is a top 10 G maybe top 5 so I expect Rices production to decrease. Ray and Reed are the only really old guys on our D but when Ray went down last season we werent screwed and when Reed went down 2 seasons ago we werent screwed either. We will be what we always have been with harbaugh. The best 2nd tier team or the worst 1st tier team. However you wanna consider it.
Well, the .500 record idea was the lowest of the low on the spectrum barring something ridiculous happening.

What's better to take away is that I think last year was the closest you're getting to the Superbowl. The Ravens with Cam Cameron on the staff are never winning a Superbowl, and I doubt you even get that close again.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree we blew it. EVERYTHING was aligned for us to win it this year and we blew it. Being higher seed then Pitt, somehow Tebow making sure Pitt got eliminated round 1, The Pats not having a deep threat and a defense, Peyton Manning on IR. We blew it. Also in the regular season when we had games to be the #1 seed in the AFC we not only lost we didnt even show up. JAX,SEA,SD are examples of that. Thats my biggest issue w/ Harbaugh. Obviously his success was great in his first 4 years but I really dont know if he will ever get us over the hump. He has no say in what the coordinators do even when they are doing a pathetic job. For a motivator we showed up flat for 3 games that would have given us the #1 seed in the AFC. I know this isnt a thread about harbaugh but that kind of stuff just makes me mad
Old 04-02-2012, 07:15 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
I agree we blew it. EVERYTHING was aligned for us to win it this year and we blew it. Being higher seed then Pitt, somehow Tebow making sure Pitt got eliminated round 1, The Pats not having a deep threat and a defense, Peyton Manning on IR. We blew it. Also in the regular season when we had games to be the #1 seed in the AFC we not only lost we didnt even show up. JAX,SEA,SD are examples of that. Thats my biggest issue w/ Harbaugh. Obviously his success was great in his first 4 years but I really dont know if he will ever get us over the hump. He has no say in what the coordinators do even when they are doing a pathetic job. For a motivator we showed up flat for 3 games that would have given us the #1 seed in the AFC. I know this isnt a thread about harbaugh but that kind of stuff just makes me mad
And those bad losses were all on the road iirc. You had some other close calls too...plus that loss at Tennessee a week after smashing the Steelers in the most convincing fashion in years.

Last year was definitely set up about as well as it possibly could have been for the Ravens, no doubt.

There are still some positives headed forward in that Pittsburgh is on the decline, I think, but even then they're never going to give the Ravens an easy time. Plus the AFC overall, as I outlined, is just overall weaker than the NFC and most of the top teams are trending downward.

So you have a chance. I don't like your chances, but you have them. The last few seasons have shown that getting hot at the right time can do the trick.

But just the combination of coach, Flacco's lack of advanced development, age in key spots...plus the fact that Rice's situation still isn't fixed. He could end up holding out through camp and the preseason, and I wrote before about how that makes a guy, especially a RB, prone to sluggishness and injury to start the year. If Rice is anything less than 100%, you can especially forget about sniffing the Superbowl again.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Yeah I agree about the whole RB situation but Rice is on that level were u have to consider paying him big especially what he does in the offense. Granted a real OC will make Rice not as valuable. Also a NFL offense not a HS offense will help Flacco improve his development.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not saying we're going to repeat. I know it's pretty much impossible. But I don't think it's crazy for us to win the division. The Redskins are a ways to go, I just don't believe in Dallas, Dallas has to show me that they can show up in a big moment, until then I won't believe in them. And their front 7 leaves a lot to be desired.

Philly is a legit contender. The problem I have with them is, Peters going down is HUGE. Who is gonna block JPP this year? Vick is not the same qb he was for the first 8 games of 2010, and I think their secondary is overrated and their LBs are still an issue.

Granted, they're going to be tough. But when I look at both teams player for player, I think the Giants are the superior team. We have the superior secondary, dline, lb core (if that even counts, both are mediocre), WR core, qb. They basically have a better oline and Rb. That's about it.

But Philly is always tough. I won't count them out.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:47 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree that the NFL should employ officials full time and train them in the off-season, but I also think there does need to be a "human element" to refereeing. If it was all guys upstairs looking at HD TV's they could call holding, illegal contact, or pass interference on literally ever play. No matter what there will always be questionable calls and calls that go one teams way but that is a part of sports. Unless we got robotic referees their will always be scrutiny, but even then I bet a robot would make the dumbest call at a huge point in the game because it doesn't have human discretion lol.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Unless we got robotic referees their will always be scrutiny, but even then I bet a robot would make the dumbest call at a huge point in the game because it doesn't have human discretion lol.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 04-02-2012 at 07:55 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
I agree that the NFL should employ officials full time and train them in the off-season, but I also think there does need to be a "human element" to refereeing. If it was all guys upstairs looking at HD TV's they could call holding, illegal contact, or pass interference on literally ever play. No matter what there will always be questionable calls and calls that go one teams way but that is a part of sports. Unless we got robotic referees their will always be scrutiny, but even then I bet a robot would make the dumbest call at a huge point in the game because it doesn't have human discretion lol.
I think you misunderstand. Penalties and things like that would still be called on the field by the officials there.

Replays is what would go up exclusively to the booth. If there's a questionable play, the booth official would signal to the referee to pause the game, the booth would take a look at the replay and then radio down the proper call.

That was proposed but voted down by the league.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not saying we're going to repeat. I know it's pretty much impossible. But I don't think it's crazy for us to win the division. The Redskins are a ways to go, I just don't believe in Dallas, Dallas has to show me that they can show up in a big moment, until then I won't believe in them. And their front 7 leaves a lot to be desired.

Philly is a legit contender. The problem I have with them is, Peters going down is HUGE. Who is gonna block JPP this year? Vick is not the same qb he was for the first 8 games of 2010, and I think their secondary is overrated and their LBs are still an issue.

Granted, they're going to be tough. But when I look at both teams player for player, I think the Giants are the superior team. We have the superior secondary, dline, lb core (if that even counts, both are mediocre), WR core, qb. They basically have a better oline and Rb. That's about it.

But Philly is always tough. I won't count them out.
I know your better than that ESPN garbage BBD. You are definitely selling the Cowboys short. I don't think it was them "not being able to perform in a big moment" as much as it was them just not being good enough. Every team loses close games.

The athleticism on defense is significantly better and we haven't even had the draft yet. We've already talked about this in the cowboys discussion thread. They got better, younger, and more athletic at at least 3 spots (Carr, Carter, Connor), Pool could be an upgrade over Elam, and a healthy Jenkins will help the team because he was hobbled the entire season and still played pretty well.

The interior OL will be better, although we do need to find someone better than Phil Costa at center. A healthy Miles should only make the offense better, we don't have Martellus Bennett anymore to somehow magically make something bad happen on offense (although I do have a sick feeling that he is going to turn into a beast for the Giants because that would make perfect sense with the fortunes of both teams), and Dez should make significant strides in year three with a full off-season.

Combine all that with a solid draft and continued maturation by Jason Garrett and you have a team to be reckoned with. I don't mean to disrespect the Giants but let's be serious it's not like they were world beaters last season. Convincing losses twice to the Redskins, losing at home to the Seahawks in pathetic fashion, losing at hope to the Vince Young led eagles, and should've lost a number of other games including the first cowboys game and to the cardinals. We don't even need to talk about the luck the Giants received in the NFC title game with two fumbled punt returns in the 4th quarter and OT, of course something that has never happened in the history of the playoffs but it happens in favor of the giants... what do ya know?

Anyway, off the soap box, if you look at both rosters right now and say each team has a solid draft (the giants are probably better drafters at the moment under Reese but the Cowboys are picking a lot higher in every round), if both teams are clicking on all cylinders I really don't see how the Giants are a superior football team. Eli doesn't have Terence Newman, Alan Ball, Keith Brooking and Bradie James to laugh at and pick on anymore.

Last edited by CDCB14 : 04-02-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think you misunderstand. Penalties and things like that would still be called on the field by the officials there.

Replays is what would go up exclusively to the booth. If there's a questionable play, the booth official would signal to the referee to pause the game, the booth would take a look at the replay and then radio down the proper call.

That was proposed but voted down by the league.
I know what you meant, I was just bringing my point to an extreme which could occur in the future.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Depending on how badly Goodell brings on the hammer down on player suspensions, I still really like our chances in the NFC South and the NFC. Defensively, we are improved and our offense should be top notch even with the lost of Nicks (Grubbs should fit in JUST fine) and Meachem.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote