Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 04-03-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I hope not although Brockers is someone who fits what the Patriots look for from a size perspective and they have shown some interest in him. It's generally not Belichick's style to trade up though. There are a lot of prospects the Patriots could be interested in this year so until their ranks start getting thinned out it would be hard to imagine New England locking onto one guy.
What about Fletcher Cox? One of our Boys fans thinks he reminds them of Ty Warren. Your thoughts on that?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll post a mock based off this article I read on ESPN about Garrett's desire for "hungry" players. Pretty good read.

"I think you can make a compelling argument that America is about the meritocracy, so if you do things the right way, you're going to succeed in this country," Garrett said. "And I think you can make an argument that the best teams do things that way. You try not to entitle people. Hopefully they earn their job, earn their position because of what they do."

"Garrett's talking about establishing a hungry culture -- an atmosphere in which no one assumes their spot on the team is safe and everyone is constantly competing to make themselves and the team better."

"One thing I know about the NFL is that there's going to be adversity," Garrett said. "And if you have the right kinds of guys on your team, you're going to be able to withstand that inevitable adversity that happens. And guys who come from those backgrounds, who have earned their way, have typically faced adversity. They've been rejected. They weren't the No. 1 recruit, so they went to this school instead of that school that maybe they wanted to go to. Or they weren't the starter right away and they kind of worked their way up the depth chart. You like guys who have had a little bit of a history dealing with some adversity, and hopefully that will reflect throughout your team during the adversities that you have over the course of the season."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post...cowboys-hungry
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Round 1: Janoris Jenkins, CB - North Alabama

At pick 14, some may think this is a little high, but the reason is only because Jenkins is fighting to put his checkered history behind him... and I feel like he's taken the right steps to prove that he has. He could have easily entered the Supplemental Draft, and been labeled amongst the prior prima donnas before him who have escaped NCAA punishment to enter the NFL. But Jenkins bypassed the easy road and took the hard humiliating road by going to a small school just to prove to himself and to others that he was willing to go through the repentence process and work his way back. He removed himself from the bad crowd he was surrouned around and refocused on football. Jenkins is already a father of 4 kids and that is the kind of motivation that stirs hunger in a guy. Much more than the single bachelor life with no strings attached. If Garrett is true to his philosophy of bringing in guys who will fight when the chips are down, then Janoris Jenkins has a spot on this team.

He is imo, the best cornerback in this draft and while he could play outside or inside. I think his value to us would be best served inside (at least for now), playing one of the most difficult positions in football. Add him to the group we already got and we're in BIG BUSINESS. I keep reading about new scenarios that have us trading 14 and/or Mike Jenkins to move up for Claiborne... Heck no, this option is much better, imo.

But in speaking of Mike Jenkins... While a replacement for Spencer seems to be high on many Cowboys mocks, Mike Jenkins is basically in the same position... being on the last year of his existing contract, it's a make or break season for him as a Dallas Cowboy. So CB is equally as important as OLB in regards to the Cowboys list of "needs".
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Round 2: Doug Martin, RB - Boise St.

Watching this guy run will stir up your soul. It's movitational, it's inspiring and it's easy to see him run with hunger in every step. Martin is the definition of what Garrett speaks of. Coming out of High School, Martin wanted to go to a big time Pac 10 school. His listed interests were in Cal, Oregon, and Washington. He also looked into Utah. But the only offers he got were from Cal Poly and Boise St. While Boise was an easy choice over Cal Poly, boy did he work hard to prove the others wrong.

Even draftniks were slow to give Martin credit even after his college career was over. It wasn't until a week ago that Mayock finally put him as his #2 RB in the draft... and yet, no one talks about him as a 1st rounder either. Obviously it takes a lot to be a 1st round RB these days, and I'm not saying he deserves it, but Doug Martin has the heart of a champion and plays with a real hunger to fight the odds. I liken him to Ray Rice. If someone told me that we could get Ray Rice in Round 2, I would easily do it. The last thing I want next year is to be at the end of the regular season and having to give Maurice Morris another call. With our stable of oft injured RBs, having a War Horse like Martin is not a luxury pick, but rather a pick fits the philosophy of BPA, need and finding players who have the ability to stand tall in the face of adversity.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Round 3: Derek Wolfe, DE - Cincinnati

To say Derek Wolfe has battled adversity is a major understatement.

Quote:
To suggest that Wolfe is the product of a broken home would be incorrect. He’s the product of a shattered home.

“I’ve never met my real father,” said Wolfe. “I couldn’t even tell you his name.”

Making matters worse, the NFL bound senior is now estranged from his mother.

“I lived with my mother only when she was married to my stepfather,” Wolfe said. “My mother married him when I was only about three months old, but after they got divorced, I moved out and lived with him.”

But that step-relationship didn’t last either. The nomadic Wolfe explained why.

Read the rest: http://cincinnati.247sports.com/Arti...-a-Wolfe-34794
Really interesting story, but it goes to show how Derek is a guy who rises in the face of adversity and criticism. Even after being a good player, he wanted to be better.

Quote:
Who knows if Wolfe would have ever reached this level of interest from pro teams if not for the challenge laid out to him by Cincinnati head coach Butch Jones and his position coach Steve Stripling.

Under their guidance, Wolfe became more of a complete player on the defensive line. No longer was he taking plays off or milling around in the weight room.

Wolfe made it a point to make every workout purposeful, and, every snap.

“Coach Jones and Steve Stripling are the two guys that beat it into my head that if you want to be great, this is what you got to do,” Wolfe explained.

“And I said, ‘OK.’

“Instead of trying to figure out my own way to do it, I just took their advice. Everything I did in the weight room and training-wise, boxing, all the hip-mobility stuff, everything I did just kind of came together for me my senior year.”

Read More: http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events...0-d8deb950094f
Old 04-03-2012, 04:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Round 4: David Molk, C - Michigan

David Molk knows all about fighting the odds. Notoriously noted as being "undersized", Molk has constantly fought hard to prove that he can get the job done. ...and not just done, but done better than anyone else. ...and he finally got acknowledgement when he won the 2011 Rimington Trophy that goes to the country's best Center and the Big Ten's inaugural Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year award. To say that he's the little engine that could would be very fitting... except instead of struggling to reach the top, Molk would probably haul ass and run over anyone in his way while oozing swag and saying how stupid it was for anyone to think he wasn't the best option for the job in the first place!

Quote:
Molk firmly believes he's the best center in the upcoming draft. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but rare is the center as confident as Molk. He believes that he is awesome, that it's "stupid" to have any center ranked above him, and he's not afraid to name names when discussing centers inferior to him. Here's Molk on a variety of subjects, via AnnArbor.com.

On draft experts not having him ranked as the top center:

"The fact they could consider any center better than me is pretty stupid."

On center Peter Konz of Wisconsin:

"I have skills he doesn't have. Obviously, my strength is far better, I'm faster, I would say I'm smarter. Obviously, he's an intelligent person, I've talked to him, but I just think I have a technique that's unmatched (by him)."

On center Mike Brewster of Ohio State:

"He is nowhere near me as a player."

Read More: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...173742263.html
If Molk was a WR, I might raise some flags about his bravado, lol. But he's not a guy who will disrupt the chemistry of the team if he doesn't get the ball in his hands. He's just a fiery guy who wants to prove that he can be the best and is perfectly happy mixing it up in the dirty trenches. A team captain for Michigan and a leader that many looked up to, David Molk is a guy that should be welcomed in Garrett's clubhouse. Besides, Garrett played with Mark Stepnoski - probably the greatest Cowboys Center of all time who was all of 6'2, 265.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Round 4 (Compensatory): Jeff Fuller, WR - Texas A&M

Fuller at this pick is a little bit of a prediction based off the fact that he is someone the team has targeted for private workouts with. I can see why they would be interested in him. Despite not having good speed for the WR position in the NFL, I can see him being used in a way that would mitigate the need for it. Part of our quest this offseason is finding out who will replace Laurent Robinson's role. Fuller doesn't duplicate what Robinson brought in terms of size/speed/hands, but he does have better size, excellent hands (as he broke Texas A&Ms record for receptions) and is a very good blocker. Fuller could work in the slot as a big possession receiver and use his size to overmatch your typical nickel corner.

Additionally, it wouldn't shock me to see Garrett use Fuller as he would if he had an additional pass catching TE. We recently spoke of the importance of the TE in Garrett's offense in our forum because of BTB's blog about it. With Witten getting up there in age, and Bennett turning out to be a flop, we have a real need for another big pass catching target for Romo. Fuller has a tall, muscular, athletic build who would give Romo exactly that... especially in the endzone.

As for his attitude...

"Texas A&M's Jeff Fuller set numerous school records as a junior in 2010, but his play leveled off this past season, leaving questions about why didn't he enter the NFL a year ago. But Fuller refuses to think that way. "You can't think shoulda-woulda-coulda," said Fuller. "Right now I'm just looking forward and looking forward to being on a team and getting the opportunity to get out there and compete."

He went back to school because he wanted to graduate, but more he wanted to continue building on what the team had going for them with Tannehill, Cyrus and others he wanted to come back and see how far they could go. Fuller is a stand up character, who is VERY easily liked because of his personality, demeanor and team commitment. Easy to see that he has a good head on his shoulders.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Round 5: Justin Bethel, FS - Presbytarian

I'm a HUGE fan of Justin Bethel. Fell in love with him early in the season as he was getting recognition for being a major playmaker (especially in blocking kicks). But as a small school guy he hasn't quite boosted his stock as much as he probably deserves, however, that's fine by me. He's one of my favorite small school sleepers this year and I hope he's here for us in Round 5.

Watch this 8 min video. You'll quickly see why he would be perfect in Garrett's philosophy about finding a "Garrett" type of player.

D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Round 6: Ron Brooks, CB - LSU

I was really thrilled to see Ron Brooks as one of the prospects that the Cowboys have brought in for a private workout. Not just because I think he's scrappy as hell, but it also gives me confirmation that I'm snooping in the right area as far as the kind of player I think the Cowboys are looking for. Brooks has been buried on the bench at LSU being supplanted by the likes of Patrick Peterson, Morris Claiborne and Tyronn Matheiau but he's a talented kid in his own right and just made the wrong decision in going to a school that didn't afford him a lot of playing time. But he ran a blazing 4.35 40 time to prove that he's got the speed you can't teach.

Quote:
Naturally athletic and versatile defensive back prospect, was the 5th defensive back on the vaunted LSU pass defensive – Elite athlete, was recruited to LSU as a WR – Brooks is a player who is still improving and got better each year in college – Majority of snaps came in Nickel and Dime packages – Has experience covering the slot and even saw some time at the FS position – Has great top end speed, posted a 4.35 forty at the combine – Aggressive and tenacious blitzer off the edge, has no hesitation when asked to blitz – Brooks is a big hitter and good tackler – Willing to tackle bigger players, and makes tackles at full speed, no hesitation to hit – Plays with a fire and intensity, fearless – Exhibits good instincts and awareness while in coverage – In zone coverage, Brooks shows the ability to make quick and decisive decisions – Can undercut a route and beat WR to a spot – Despite not being a full time starter Brooks finds a way to force turnovers and make big plays – Finds the ball in the air, makes plays on the ball and not the man – Was asked to learn each defensive back position at LSU, had to step in and start at various positions due to injury and suspensions – Might be the best gunner in the draft – Gets off the jam and is routinely the first player down field on punt coverage, makes the tackle almost every time he gets there.

Read More: http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/...ng-report.html
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Round 7: Frank Alexander, DE/OLB - Oklahoma

Frank Alexander is not getting ANY draft love at all, and may even go undrafted which would be a crime. Guy has been a baller for OU for years, yet has flown under the radar. I would say it was because of his false heart condition report he received at the combine which prevented him from working out in Indy, but he's been flying low long before Indy.

So yeah, talking about guys who would have a chip on their shoulder, and is hungry to play, Frank Alexander is a guy that came to my mind. He was invited to Indy and was able to speak to teams, but he received a scare while getting the doctor checkout.

Quote:
03/14/12 - Oklahoma Pro Day: A few weeks ago, football was the last thing on Frank Alexander's mind as doctors found a previously undiagnosed heart condition that kept the defensive end from working out at the Combine. But after further tests, those reports have been proven to be false and he was able to participate in Oklahoma's Pro Day on Wednesday. He performed well in every drill, including the 40-yard dash (4.76), vertical jump (34.5”), broad jump (9'9”), 20-yard short shuttle (4.57), 3-cone drill (7.55) and bench press (24). Alexander also measured well with 35 ¼” arm length and a 83 ½” wingspan. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

03/15/12 - Wednesday was a long day for Frank Alexander. The former Oklahoma defensive end was one of 16 ex-Sooner players working out for NFL personnel at Pro Day at the Everest Training Center. Alexander was one of the last players to leave the facility after a morning of 40-yard sprints, bench presses, shuttle runs, jumps, leaps and having a tape measure taken to every inch of his body. “I ran fast, worked out, felt like I was moving well,” he said after it was all done. “It felt great all around.” Under normal circumstances a player of Alexander’s caliber would have used the annual event as a chance to fine tune a few things he’d been working on since January. The NFL combine would have given scouts the chance to see what he could do. Alexander fully expected to get that opportunity last month at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. But doctors wouldn’t allow it. During one of the many physicals NFL draft prospects undergo, congenital heart defect was diagnosed. Alexander could speak to teams, but physical work was out of the question. Those discussions wouldn’t amount to much. No NFL team is going to invest in a rookie with a heart condition. “I didn’t know if I couldn’t play anymore. I had worked so hard to get to that point. Two days before, I get some news saying I can’t go. I had been training for six or seven weeks, plus the 15 years of playing football,” he said. “It was scary to know it could be shut down because of one little judgment.” The initial diagnosis was overturned before Alexander left Indianapolis. He was cleared to participate, but the defensive linemen’s time on the field had already ended. That put a lot of importance on Alexander’s workout Wednesday. - John Shinn, The Norman Transcript
Could he be another hidden gem that the Cowboys could polish? I hope so. I know this is later than most Cowboys fans hope to address OLB, but I feel just as strongly about this pick/value for the position as I would almost anywhere else. For all we know, Anthony Spencer could end up earning that long term deal afterall and a depth pick is just what we need.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

In the end....

Side notes: I think Janoris Jenkins could also be had in a trade down and I think you could easily switch Bethel in the 4th and Fuller in the 5th. Alexander could go higher too, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Thoughts?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:34 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
In the end....

Side notes: I think Janoris Jenkins could also be had in a trade down and I think you could easily switch Bethel in the 4th and Fuller in the 5th. Alexander could go higher too, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Thoughts?
I like it all but Jenkins in the first. I really think we should re-sign Mike Jenkins and let the trio of Carr, Jenkins, and Scandrick stay together for a while. Taking a 3rd round CB is the best option in my opinion. There a tons of them who would be good value. Improves the depth and could develop into a starter if we lose Jenkins to free agency.

I like the rest a lot though. Fuller is a nice pick with tons of upside. He was thought of as a 2nd rounder before his lack luster senior year. Love Ron Brooks' physical skills. Love Marten and Wolfe. Alexander has upside as well. Don't like Molk though. He's Costa to me from a better program. No thanks to a 6'1'' 295 pound center with short arms. I know you like him, but no. He's just not going to work in this league. If he pans out somewhere and I am wrong then good for that team... but I don't want him.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:45 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
In the end....

Round 1: Janoris Jenkins, CB - North Alabama Like him but would rather get a pass rusher here

Round 2: Doug Martin, RB - Boise St. Dont see the need? Would rather go D here again.

Round 3: Derek Wolfe, DE - Cincinnati I Like this pick
Round 4: David Molk, C - Michigan Meh...
Round 4 (Compensatory): Jeff Fuller, WR - Texas A&M Good value
Round 6: Ron Brooks, CB - LSU Could be a steal. Had 1st rounders ahead of him
Round 7: Frank Alexander, DE/OLB - Oklahoma Like it

Thoughts?
In the end, I guess I'd be ok with this draft but hope we do better

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:14 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
In the end, I guess I'd be ok with this draft but hope we do better
I hear you wanting to go OLB in round 1, and I can agree we have a need, but I took the position that CB is equally as important and that I liked the value of the CBs more than the value of the OLBs that were available there. With Jenkins, I know I'm getting elite caliber corner skills. I can't say that as strongly with the OLBs available.

I'm going with the better player if I have to choose between the 2 positions. Next year, if Spencer doesn't earn that long term deal, then OLB can rise to the top of the needs list. There might be better value then... not sure... but I am sure the value now is not easy to grade as "elite".

I also like the chance to see what Spencer can do with a major upgrade in the secondary.

----

I know taking a RB in Round 2 seems like overkill, but with this particular player, and our history of injured RBs, I think it warrants the selection. I really don't want us having to give Maurice Morris a call in Week 15 again.

I got to cheat though... in a mock, I can choose who I want in the following rounds. In real life, the Cowboys will have to make this decision not knowing who will be available later on. I felt going offense here was ok seeing that 5 of my 7 rounds all went to defense.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
I like it all but Jenkins in the first. I really think we should re-sign Mike Jenkins and let the trio of Carr, Jenkins, and Scandrick stay together for a while. Taking a 3rd round CB is the best option in my opinion. There a tons of them who would be good value. Improves the depth and could develop into a starter if we lose Jenkins to free agency.

I like the rest a lot though. Fuller is a nice pick with tons of upside. He was thought of as a 2nd rounder before his lack luster senior year. Love Ron Brooks' physical skills. Love Marten and Wolfe. Alexander has upside as well. Don't like Molk though. He's Costa to me from a better program. No thanks to a 6'1'' 295 pound center with short arms. I know you like him, but no. He's just not going to work in this league. If he pans out somewhere and I am wrong then good for that team... but I don't want him.
Carr, Jenkins and Scandrick will get plenty of time on the field, but I really think you need more than 3 good CBs. Especially since we don't have a guy who can excel covering the slot. You've agreed in the past that that position is one of the hardest to play... so I don't think using our 1st on a guy who I think can do it better than anyone else in the draft is a wasted pick. ....well... I take that back... I think Brandon Boykin is equally as talented for the job. But yeah... that's what I'm thinking.

I'd rather have Wolfe in the 3rd than Cox or Brockers in the 1st. ...and the overall OLB class is just mediocre to me. It's a hit or miss proposition, imo.

Thanks for the response. Mocks are a lot of fun and a good way to waste your time. LOL.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:26 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I hear you wanting to go OLB in round 1, and I can agree we have a need, but I took the position that CB is equally as important and that I liked the value of the CBs more than the value of the OLBs that were available there. With Jenkins, I know I'm getting elite caliber corner skills. I can't say that as strongly with the OLBs available.

I'm going with the better player if I have to choose between the 2 positions. Next year, if Spencer doesn't earn that long term deal, then OLB can rise to the top of the needs list. There might be better value then... not sure... but I am sure the value now is not easy to grade as "elite".

I also like the chance to see what Spencer can do with a major upgrade in the secondary.

----

I know taking a RB in Round 2 seems like overkill, but with this particular player, and our history of injured RBs, I think it warrants the selection. I really don't want us having to give Maurice Morris a call in Week 15 again.

I got to cheat though... in a mock, I can choose who I want in the following rounds. In real life, the Cowboys will have to make this decision not knowing who will be available later on. I felt going offense here was ok seeing that 5 of my 7 rounds all went to defense.
It was Sammy Morris... show the guy some respect!

But about CB, unless you are going to trade Jenkins it's a wasted resource. How much is a 4th CB going to play? Trust me, I preach building on strengths and we still do need a quality 4th CB, but we could get that in the 2nd or third. Wasting a 1st rounder on that isn't wise in my opinion. Unless they are going to trade Jenkins or have no intention to re-sign him then fine, but I don't think the team will come to that conclusion on draft day.

Ingram/Cox and a 3rd round CB is a lot better than Jenkins and a 3rd round DE in my opinion, ESPECIALLY with the value of the 3rd round CB's in this draft.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
It was Sammy Morris... show the guy some respect!

But about CB, unless you are going to trade Jenkins it's a wasted resource. How much is a 4th CB going to play? Trust me, I preach building on strengths and we still do need a quality 4th CB, but we could get that in the 2nd or third. Wasting a 1st rounder on that isn't wise in my opinion. Unless they are going to trade Jenkins or have no intention to re-sign him then fine, but I don't think the team will come to that conclusion on draft day.

Ingram/Cox and a 3rd round CB is a lot better than Jenkins and a 3rd round DE in my opinion, ESPECIALLY with the value of the 3rd round CB's in this draft.
Hahaha Sammy Morris, right my bad. lol.

Jenkins would play plenty. He wouldn't be your #4 CB like Frank Walker. He'd be your starting nickel CB and we play in the nickel like 50% of the time.

In the 3rd round you might be able to find CBs who will be capable outside CBs, but not inside CBs. Those guys are usually a step slower with stiffer hips. Ingram and Cox play 2 different positions. But if you're talking about a 3rd round DE, I'd waaaaaaaaaay rather have Wolfe in the 3rd than Cox in the 1st.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:34 PM    (permalink
D-Ware Nightmare
Rookie

D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Ware Nightmare is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
In the end....

Thoughts?
I dig it for the most part, I would probably go Bruce Irvin in the second and Michael Smith from Utah St. in 7th. Kind of splitting hairs, but I think it would great to have some leverage/incentive behind Spencer. Both fit the mold of gritty hard working guys. I think Justin Smith when I see Wolfe. I have no problem with Jenkins in the first either, would prefer a trade down of course but no problem with him. I just cant see spending Carr type money on Mike Jenkins, which is likely the ballpark he is seeking regarding contracts, that would be about $25million/yr on 3 corners. I just think going Jenkins/Irvin would set us up to not be backed into a corner next year. And ultimately with the high probability of M Jenkins being dealt, and a likely tradedown scenario to get Janoris, you could reasonably be looking at an additional two picks before the end of the 3rd. O man would that be a dream scenario!!!
D-Ware Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:18 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Ware Nightmare View Post
I dig it for the most part, I would probably go Bruce Irvin in the second and Michael Smith from Utah St. in 7th. Kind of splitting hairs, but I think it would great to have some leverage/incentive behind Spencer. Both fit the mold of gritty hard working guys. I think Justin Smith when I see Wolfe. I have no problem with Jenkins in the first either, would prefer a trade down of course but no problem with him. I just cant see spending Carr type money on Mike Jenkins, which is likely the ballpark he is seeking regarding contracts, that would be about $25million/yr on 3 corners. I just think going Jenkins/Irvin would set us up to not be backed into a corner next year. And ultimately with the high probability of M Jenkins being dealt, and a likely tradedown scenario to get Janoris, you could reasonably be looking at an additional two picks before the end of the 3rd. O man would that be a dream scenario!!!
That's a great suggestion. I'm a really big fan of Irvin. I left him out of this mock because I tried to select players that fit Garrett's "hunger and drive" philosophy and I really liked Martin filling that selection. But heck, the Cowboys brought in Irvin for a private workout, so that speaks a lot of volumes there too.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:42 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Irvin's off the field issues are going to carry a lot more weight than you guys think. He's the type of talent/attitude mix that skill-wise is a late 1st/early 2nd that will be drafted in the 4th or 5th thanks to his character.

That being said if he falls to the 3/4th I'd take him even if he is just a specialist pass rusher at this stage :)

FYI - I'm wrapping his entire background into this one not just he fact he went Chuck Norris on a sign.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:03 AM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Ware Nightmare View Post
The flip side to the whole Jenkins deal is that we might be able to get him for a nice discount if we sign him now because he had a bad 2010 and was hurt a lot this year even though he was good. If we can get Jenkins for say 5 years, 30-35 million year now, I'd do it. He's 27 and the kid can play. I'd rather use my resources elsewhere in the draft.

As far as the money spent at one position goes... the cap is about to skyrocket which helps, and look at all the other contracts around the league. Calvin Johnson just got 130 million. Drew Brees is about to get 23 million a year according to reports. This is a passing league, why can't we spend 25 million a year on three good cornerbacks?

This is coming from a Jenkins supporter so I acknowledge a little bias, but I think he is a good player and want to see him in a Cowboys uniform for years to come. I would re-sign him and let him, Carr, and Scandrick jell as a nice trio so we can use our resources elsewhere and don't need to worry about CB for the next 5 years.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:59 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would've rather spent that money on Jenkins and not Scandrik. But hindsight is 20/20. I just don't see us spending that much cash on 3 corners. And I personally wouldn't want to re-sign Jenkins until at lease midway through the year to see if he's playing at a high level and injury free.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

If signing Jenkins now means getting him cheap, then yeah, I like that option. Right or wrong, I personally still have belief in him. If he ends up playing well, then he'll just become more expensive. It's a tricky situation.

I definitely don't want to trade him. Carr and Scandrick can't be the solution. Even if you trade Jenkins and replace him with a CB in the draft, we're still shallow. CB is still a major need for us WITH Jenkins on the roster. I hope we find a way to get Janoris Jenkins, Brandon Boykin, Jayron Hosley, Casey Hayward, Jamell Flemming, Josh Norman or Ron Brooks. These are the only guys who I think could help us in the slot or on the outside... and we DEFINITELY need help on the inside MOST right now.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:42 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If signing Jenkins now means getting him cheap, then yeah, I like that option. Right or wrong, I personally still have belief in him. If he ends up playing well, then he'll just become more expensive. It's a tricky situation.

I definitely don't want to trade him. Carr and Scandrick can't be the solution. Even if you trade Jenkins and replace him with a CB in the draft, we're still shallow. CB is still a major need for us WITH Jenkins on the roster. I hope we find a way to get Janoris Jenkins, Brandon Boykin, Jayron Hosley, Casey Hayward, Jamell Flemming, Josh Norman or Ron Brooks. These are the only guys who I think could help us in the slot or on the outside... and we DEFINITELY need help on the inside MOST right now.
I agree with most of this. Trading Jenkins even if we pick a 1st round corner leaves us in the same position and that player might not be as goods as Jenkins, and most likely won't be as a rookie. If re-signing him now means a discount, do it. It's a passing league, you need CB's. If it gets expensive, oh well. Gotta spend to be good sometimes.

As for the inside... you just won't let that go will you? Scandrick is our slot CB and he isn't going anywhere. I'll take a guy for depth, but no one is taking that spot from Scandrick. It's not happening. Get it out of your head before you get upset.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I agree with most of this. Trading Jenkins even if we pick a 1st round corner leaves us in the same position and that player might not be as goods as Jenkins, and most likely won't be as a rookie. If re-signing him now means a discount, do it. It's a passing league, you need CB's. If it gets expensive, oh well. Gotta spend to be good sometimes.

As for the inside... you just won't let that go will you? Scandrick is our slot CB and he isn't going anywhere. I'll take a guy for depth, but no one is taking that spot from Scandrick. It's not happening. Get it out of your head before you get upset.
Garrett always talks about earning your position despite pay, despite experience, despite draft position etc etc etc. Why would you then safely assume that Scandrick is exempt from competing for his position? That there's no way the team would look at upgrading a position where we were statistically ranked at the bottom of the league at? A position that was a leaky hole all season long? *shrugs*

What if he gets hurt again, like he often is?