Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Santonio10
Veteran

Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 3-4 vs. 4-3 Linebackers

Hey guys, I want to know if anyone has any input as to where I could find information in writing (by a credible source) about 3-4 linebacker and 4-3 linebackers.

Also, I personally believe that its harder to evaluate 3-4 linebackers as opposed to 4-3, because they are asked to do more (especially at OLB). Any feelings or input on the difficulty level of evaluating linebackers for these different schemes?

BTW this is for a project I'm doing. I know your guys are just as passionate as I am about football so any help would be greatly appreciated!

BoneKrusher

360 GT: iiidiiiot
Go AC Gators! 7-3 (4-2)
Santonio10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:37 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. However, the biggest difference in evaluating 3-4 linebackers to 43 backers is that, well, not many college teams run a 3-4 defense.

Let's start with that. You are generally looking at college 4-3 defensive ends and projecting their move to a position most haven't played. So when you're watching film you're trying to watch their first step, change of direction, quickness off the ball, and, if you're lucky, you may see them dropping into coverage. But for the most part everything about coverage that you see is without pads in worksout.

When you do get teams that run a 3-4 defense, you've got to identify if the backers are actually doing a good job or if the offensive tackles, or offense in general is a little slower in comprehending what they are seeing because they don't have a lot of experience seeing that.

In the 4-3 defense, even in college. Most linebackers you can see drop in coverage, shed blockers, fill gaps and everything needed to evaluate them
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santonio10 View Post
Hey guys, I want to know if anyone has any input as to where I could find information in writing (by a credible source) about 3-4 linebacker and 4-3 linebackers.

Also, I personally believe that its harder to evaluate 3-4 linebackers as opposed to 4-3, because they are asked to do more (especially at OLB). Any feelings or input on the difficulty level of evaluating linebackers for these different schemes?

BTW this is for a project I'm doing. I know your guys are just as passionate as I am about football so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Pro Football Focus, dawg.

/terribleadvice

As for evaluating 3-4 OLBs, also look at the kind of D-line they play with. Many teams don't use the base 3 too much, even if they're labeled a 3-4 defense. I'm believe the OLB play varies according to that.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 AM    (permalink
jakehobby
Rookie

jakehobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Sounds great!I agree with you.

__________________________________________________ ______________________
Rc Hobby|Rc Helicopter|Battery Charger|Rc Airplanes
jakehobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:02 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Last edited by Mufasa : 04-05-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kind of a loaded question, but I will give it a shot.

I would first break down the types of front sevens:

Classic 4-3
Cover 2 4-3: like Indy or TB in the past

One Gap 3-4
Two Gap 3-4

I will say I know the most about the two gap 3-4. Classically you have a fat ass NT whose job is to get double teamed by the center and a guard. The two DE's, one a guard one on a tackle pretty much straight up. They occupy their guy at the line of scrimmage and read and react to the gap to their right and left.

For the linebackers, one OLB is the elephant, usually a bigger guy. He has to go against the free tackle and set the edge. The OLB is more free to do a little bit of everything. For the ILB's, there is a thumper who takes on a free blocker, if everything goes right, should be a FB, maybe TE or Hback. That leaves the other ILB to go around and make plays.

For example: Elephant: McGinest Thumper Ted Johnson ILB Mayo

As for the others, I honestly don't know enough to talk in any detail. In general, cover 2 guys are much smaller and faster.
Lil Quip is offline   Reply With Quote