Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 01:43 AM    (permalink
Tiffany
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default Why is college football so much more popular than minor league baseball?

People don't watch minor league baseball very much becasue the talent level is much lower than in MLB. But millions watch college football every week, despite the fact that the talent level is much lower than in the NFL.

I understand that some people like to support their college. But a lot of poeple who didn't even go to college still watch college football.

Now, I enjoy a college football game or a minor league baseball game every now and then. But I'm not sure why college football has so many die hard fans when there is a clearly superior product available in the pros. Can someone please explain?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:39 AM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: R4L 3:16 says I just whipped your ass
Posts: 12,707
Reputation: 2783873
Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Because baseball is boring as hell in the MLB and gets much worse in any level below that.
__________________

Props to BK for the sig
"Impulsive thinker, compulsive drinker, addict, half animal half man"
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
that's because we're the only animal capable of getting it from other animals. the day a goat can milk cows, it will.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:08 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 8-1-8 SFV
Posts: 4,521
Reputation: 429666
BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4life View Post
Because baseball is boring as hell in the MLB and gets much worse in any level below that.
BRAVEHEART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:35 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,149
Reputation: 249217
Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4life View Post
Because baseball is boring as hell.
This.

......
__________________
If the Raiders draft Derek Carr, I quit. Can't handle another awful QB.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:24 AM    (permalink
BuddyCHRIST
Veteran
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tallahassee FL
Posts: 1,935
Reputation: 65704
BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuddyCHRIST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

The importance of attending the school can not be underrated enough, FSU basically creates 8,000 new fans every year.

Even if its not always direct with every fan attending their school, 99% of them have some type of tie to the school with family and friends. And then bandwagoners are created by the popularity of these schools that is already there from the students and alumni.
BuddyCHRIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: earth
Posts: 13,853
Reputation: 1048817
brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

the only reason people find it fun, is because they can sit their for 3-4 hrs and get trashed drinking beers. Also there are girls there just as trashed that semi understand the game.

Other than that, its boring as hell, people don't like to watch that **** on TV.

I dare you to watch baseball sober.
__________________
brat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:18 AM    (permalink
RufusMcDaniel
Mage Bros
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,985
Reputation: 2336459
RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RufusMcDaniel is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

The other reason is because you only get 5 months of NFL football every two or 3 days. College football fills that void on Thursday-Saturday. It's rare that the schedules ever conflicts with each other, so you can enjoy both.
RufusMcDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:21 AM    (permalink
andyjo672
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 918
Reputation: 60112
andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

The atmosphere and tradition of major college football is also significantly better than anything you can find in the NFL. As a huge football fan I can say with certainty that I prefer college to the NFL based on this as well as the fact that I have a closer tie to a college team than I do to any NFL team (despite the fact that I grew up in an NFL market).
andyjo672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NC State
Posts: 7,987
Reputation: 898032
descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjo672 View Post
The atmosphere and tradition of major college football is also significantly better than anything you can find in the NFL. As a huge football fan I can say with certainty that I prefer college to the NFL based on this as well as the fact that I have a closer tie to a college team than I do to any NFL team (despite the fact that I grew up in an NFL market).
You're in the minority.
__________________
I was gone for 2 months doing things I can't talk about. It might happen again, but that's just the nature of what I do and who I am.
descendency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:50 AM    (permalink
andyjo672
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 918
Reputation: 60112
andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
You're in the minority.
Did I ever say I wasn't? And what difference does it make if I am or not? And exactly which part of my statement places me in the minority? The fact that I prefer college football more? My opinion that the atmosphere and tradition are better in college football? If you're trying to make an argument do so by laying it out a little bit, or are you in the majority of people that either attended a crappy university or none at all and thus aren't capable of forming a coherent response?

Edit: I see you're at NC State, thus you're the part that attended a crappy university
andyjo672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 AM    (permalink
GaMeTiMe
Veteran
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 958
Reputation: 37000
GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

This is a silly question with many plausible answers. First off even college baseball is arguably more popular than the minor leagues, forget college FOOTBALL, which as a sport is more popular than baseball already. It's really just the college thing, as mentioned. Also, there are so many players in baseball throughout the minors that you really can't develop a connection with a farm system unless you really devote yourself to a large pool of players containing a select few that will make it to the big leagues.

It's much easier in baseball to have the scouts tell you everything you need to know (that's easy to say coming from a football nerd on a football forum, but baseball is my first, and still true love) and just wait for the top guys to get to or close to the big leagues, while college football to the NFL is a lot more highly decoraded and the path is much easier to follow.
GaMeTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:13 AM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,074
Reputation: 1177370
BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjo672 View Post
Did I ever say I wasn't? And what difference does it make if I am or not? And exactly which part of my statement places me in the minority? The fact that I prefer college football more? My opinion that the atmosphere and tradition are better in college football? If you're trying to make an argument do so by laying it out a little bit, or are you in the majority of people that either attended a crappy university or none at all and thus aren't capable of forming a coherent response?

Edit: I see you're at NC State, thus you're the part that attended a crappy university
Where did you go/attend now that makes you the one to determine which universities are "crappy" and are not? You went from defending your argument to being a complete snob with a simple sentence.
__________________

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:26 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The Empire State
Posts: 2,483
Reputation: 455584
TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I'd rather watch HS football than Minor league baseball. And don't get me wrong baseball is a great sport, I played it all through HS, but it's just boring to watch as a spectator... at least until the playoffs start.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.