Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 04-17-2012, 02:00 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I think it's a good pick. It really hinges on if he can play OLB or not. If he can't, we basically have 3 ILBs or two MLBs (Mayo can play OLB).
I don't buy this whole thing about Hightower at 3-4 OLB if that's what you mean. I do think, however, that he can play 4-3 SLB. Lining up

Hightower - Spikes - Mayo

behind Wilfork and Love is just mean. Now if we only had some pass rush..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:09 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A good read on potential Patriots. Some surprises in there.
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:38 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I don't buy this whole thing about Hightower at 3-4 OLB if that's what you mean. I do think, however, that he can play 4-3 SLB. Lining up

Hightower - Spikes - Mayo

behind Wilfork and Love is just mean. Now if we only had some pass rush..
I'm projecting Hightower as a 4-3 SLB and 3-4 LOLB. Hightower played inside and outside at Alabama and rushed pretty effectively from the defensive end spot as well. Versatility and experience in Nick Saban's defense make him a good fit in New England; he is adept at setting the edge and could play the "elephant" role.

I traded up from #48 to #45 (swapping a fifth-round pick for a sixth-rounder) and selected DE Andre Branch from Clemson with the pick. I thought Indianapolis could select him at #46 after trading away Dwight Freeney so I didn't want to risk letting them have a shot at Branch, who has the size (6'4", 260) and burst to become a quality pass-rusher in New England and represented a good value at that point. The 4-3 defense is looking pretty strong!

LE: Fanene/Hightower
UT: Love
NT: Wilfork
RE: Branch
WLB: Mayo
MLB: Spikes
SLB: Ninkovich/Hightower
LCB: McCourty
FS: Kirkpatrick
SS: Chung
RCB: Dowling
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The class so far:

Remaining draft picks:

Cleveland's 2013 third-round pick was also acquired in the trade down for Hightower.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:47 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This forum mock nicely illustrates the value of this draft is in the second. I'd be surprised if we don't end up with three, maybe four picks from this round next week.

By the way excellent drafting so far, should the real draft go this way I think by the end of the season our defense will be notably better than last year.

Lots of ways to go here at the end of the second. Good luck!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really not a fan of Andre Branch, I doubt he'll ever make much of an impact in the NFL. I'd rather have Jermaine Cunningham starting than Andre Branch, that's how much I don't like Branch. When I look at him play nothing stands out to me. I rarely look at a play and think that it was a great play or individual effort by Branch. He hustles and can cover, but I don't think he's a football player. He's just an athlete playing football.

EDIT: And with Harrison Smith still on the board I think he should've been the pick.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I'm really not a fan of Andre Branch, I doubt he'll ever make much of an impact in the NFL. I'd rather have Jermaine Cunningham starting than Andre Branch, that's how much I don't like Branch. When I look at him play nothing stands out to me. I rarely look at a play and think that it was a great play or individual effort by Branch. He hustles and can cover, but I don't think he's a football player. He's just an athlete playing football.

EDIT: And with Harrison Smith still on the board I think he should've been the pick.
This, I think I would much rather have McClellin and Smith than Hightower and Branch, but that may be more of a personal thing.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Why'd you trade up? Who was going to take Kirkpatrick between you and 23 and 27? Arizona? Dallas? Worried about someone else trading up?

I like the pick. I think Kirkpatrick could be a FS/CB for NE and fits our defense. I just don't know that his stock merits trading up right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
This, I think I would much rather have McClellin and Smith than Hightower and Branch, but that may be more of a personal thing.
I think Harrison Smith's stock is being inflated because of how terrible the safety class is this year. Shea McClellin probably doesn't have the strength to be a successful Patriots linebacker; really struggles to anchor and is much more of a mover than a bruiser.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Just worked out a trade with Jacksonville sending the #62 overall pick over in exchange for the #70 and #142 overall picks. The Patriots' remaining picks are as follows:

Old 04-17-2012, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Not sure if this is worth posting but here's the schedule:

Sunday, Sept. 9 -- at Titans (1 p.m.)
Sunday, Sept. 16 -- vs. Cardinals (1 p.m.)
Sunday, Sept. 23 -- at Ravens (8:20 p.m)
Sunday Sept. 30 -- at Bills (1 p.m.)
Sunday, Oct. 7 -- vs. Broncos (4:15 p.m.)
Sunday Oct. 14 -- at Seahawks (4:05 p.m.)
Sunday Oct. 21 -- vs. Jets (4:15 p.m.)
Sunday, Oct. 28 -- at Rams (1 p.m., in London)
Sunday, Nov. 4 -- OPEN
Sunday, Nov. 11 -- vs. Bills (1 p.m.)
Sunday, Nov. 18 -- vs. Colts (1 p.m.)
Thursday, Nov. 22 -- at Jets (8:20 p.m.)
Sunday, Dec. 2 -- at Dolphins (1 p.m.)
Monday, Dec. 10 -- vs. Texans (8:30 p.m.)
Sunday, Dec. 16 -- vs. 49ers (8:20 p.m.)
Sunday, Dec. 23 -- at Jaguars (1 p.m.)
Sunday, Dec. 30 -- vs. Dolphins (1 p.m.)

Toughest stretch looks early - @ Ravens, @Bills, Broncos. @Seahawks could be tough but Pats are typically a good road team.

Then Texans, 49ers but both at home. No worse than 10-6. More likely 12-4. Bills are an unknown but they're thin and injuries destroy that team every year.

Edit: Perfect bye week.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Just drafted WR Ryan Broyles with the 70th pick in the forum mock. I'm a big fan of Broyles as a fit in New England and he will be drafted lower than expected because of his ACL injury.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Broyles is a good pick (esp. if Welker leaves or is traded); also a good IR or PUP candidate.

Is 3 early or is that expected ? I thought he would go 4 or 5 but I've not been too focused on receivers.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

It may have been a little bit early but with no more picks until the end of the fourth round it seemed unlikely that he would last until the next pick. Broyles was considered a first or second-round prospect before the ACL injury and should be able to take over for Deion Branch in the future.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:52 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackluck View Post
Is 3 early or is that expected ?
I've seen numerous 7th round grades on him because of his torn ACL. He was a good player on tape. I just wonder if it was worth it to take a guy that high when there are so many quality WRs in this draft.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:52 AM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I've seen numerous 7th round grades on him because of his torn ACL. He was a good player on tape. I just wonder if it was worth it to take a guy that high when there are so many quality WRs in this draft.
I don't see how he's a 7th round guy at all. I'd be fine taking him at 70, throw him on PUP to start the year if you have to. If he can come in and look like the Broyles of old to end the season then you have a ton of leverage over Welker. I think he'd fit great into our passing schemes. Good pick MJ.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:32 AM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Adam Shefter reporting that Philly wants to deal Asante Samuel. Is he worth bringing back?

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Doubtful. Even outside his salary demands, he's burned his bridges with this team.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:51 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

I just submitted another trade to BeerBaron. Pending his approval the Patriots have agreed to trade two sixth-round picks (#177 and #186 overall) to the Cowboys for DE Marcus Spears. Spears has experience playing for Bill Parcells and Rob Ryan (plus Nick Saban in college) and is signed through the next four seasons (salaries: $2m, $2m, $3m, $4m.) After missing out on the top five-techniques in this draft I liked the value of bringing in a former first-round pick who fits New England's scheme as a run-stuffing left end.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Almost time for a 10,000 posts thread ROP!

Also how do you guys feels about Greg Childs ? I think he would be a good pickup in the 4th-5th.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:04 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty Magic! View Post

Also how do you guys feels about Greg Childs ? I think he would be a good pickup in the 4th-5th.
See sig.

I'd love to get Childs in the third. I think he could be just what we need on offense.

Quote:
Old 04-18-2012, 09:07 AM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I knew I loved you for a reason Razor

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 AM    (permalink
GallopingGhost
Veteran

GallopingGhost is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GallopingGhost is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GallopingGhost is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GallopingGhost is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GallopingGhost is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GallopingGhost is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GallopingGhost is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GallopingGhost is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GallopingGhost is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GallopingGhost is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GallopingGhost is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty Magic! View Post

I dont think getting a WR is a priority and i dont think hed benefit the pats year one but the dude is a baller. The pats will nees a pure Wide Out with that size in the futur and if they get gim at the right time i think if he develops nicely he will be a sudsssssss in the fitur.
GallopingGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I just submitted another trade to BeerBaron. Pending his approval the Patriots have agreed to trade two sixth-round picks (#177 and #186 overall) to the Cowboys for DE Marcus Spears. Spears has experience playing for Bill Parcells and Rob Ryan (plus Nick Saban in college) and is signed through the next four seasons (salaries: $2m, $2m, $3m, $4m.) After missing out on the top five-techniques in this draft I liked the value of bringing in a former first-round pick who fits New England's scheme as a run-stuffing left end.
Who projects to 5 technique this draft (first three rounds)?
Brockers
Reyes
Worthy?
Wolfe?
Still?

There's no consistency in the reports I've read.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Marcus Spears again? Manny Lawson, Matt Roth, and Marcus Spears are not wanted on this team. BB has had his chance to get these guys before and has passed them over time and time again.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:21 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I know 6th round picks aren't much but to be honest I don't like the price. I would give one for him but not both.

Really what Spears would do is fill the Shaun Ellis role from last year. Ellis did not make much of an impact and Spears would be an upgrade but it's not like he would be an impact player.

Though in saying that I do like a nickel defense of

Fanene-Wilfork-Spears
Hightower-Mayo-Branch
Kirkpatrick-Chung-Gregory-McCourty-Dowling

Or;

Carter-Fanene-Spears-Branch
Hightower-Mayo
Kirkpatrick-Chung-Gregory-McCourty-Dowling

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote