Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Denver Broncos Team Forum

Denver Broncos Team Forum Discuss the Broncos

Old 04-10-2012, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Nice post, Diehard. Was going to bring that over here since someone on the Mane spilled the beans. I like Miller, but not at #25. I think there will be better DT value there than the end of the second round. If we end up taking Mike Martin or some 3rd-4th round pick at the end of the second because we screwed the pooch not getting one early, I'll be PISSED.
Apparently Del Rio & Co were taking a close look at Kirkpatrick and Josh Chapman at Alabama's pro day. There have been rumors that Del Rio wants to bring more of a 2-gap approach and Chapman would fit the bill. In that case, guys like Ta'amu and Brandon Thompson might also be on their radar. Brockers would be a very nice 2-gap fit, but the assumption is probably that he's gone well before the Broncos get a sniff at him. So that leaves guys in the 2nd and 3rd range as the targets, which would explain some of the buzz we're hearing.

Anyway, it's all conjecture at this point. We've got another two weeks before the real info starts leaking out.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Chris
Pro Bowler

Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Apparently Del Rio & Co were taking a close look at Kirkpatrick and Josh Chapman at Alabama's pro day. There have been rumors that Del Rio wants to bring more of a 2-gap approach and Chapman would fit the bill. In that case, guys like Ta'amu and Brandon Thompson might also be on their radar. Brockers would be a very nice 2-gap fit, but the assumption is probably that he's gone well before the Broncos get a sniff at him. So that leaves guys in the 2nd and 3rd range as the targets, which would explain some of the buzz we're hearing.

Anyway, it's all conjecture at this point. We've got another two weeks before the real info starts leaking out.
I would not be okay with Chapman because of his ACL injury. Was he able to even perform anything at his Pro Day? I read his medical flags were off the charts at the combine and a variety of teams were concerned with his ability to actually play for more than half the season.

Thanks for the info, though. I'm just surprised they aren't considering Worthy @ the 3 Tech for us in round one. They must really like Vickerson or feel Thomas may come back. It would just baffle me if they didn't draft one in the first round. I really think that they will miss out on Thompson in the second, and Ta'amu is a 50/50 pick to be there. I could see the Steelers nabbing him right before us then if they don't address that need in round one.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Diehard is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
It would just baffle me if they didn't draft one in the first round. I really think that they will miss out on Thompson in the second, and Ta'amu is a 50/50 pick to be there. I could see the Steelers nabbing him right before us then if they don't address that need in round one.
I'm not certain we'll end up picking at #25 when all is said and done:

* Pittsburgh is ahead of us, so any defensive prospect who slides down will likely go before we pick

* Houston is behind us, making #25 a desirable spot for someone to trade into to grab a receiver

The Vikings, Browns, Jaguars and Bills could all be looking to grab a WR, giving us a pick early in round 2 and another 3rd (or 4th + change) to play with.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Default Prospect visits?

Looking at this list is depressing:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rkout-tracker/

Osweiler is the only guy we've brought in? Seems a little fishy... like the local media and the team are in cahoots to keep things quiet. After some of the stuff that happened during the Manning sweepstakes (like Vic Lombardi getting muzzled even though he was right) it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:37 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Turbin is being brought in for a visit. Happy camper.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
Turbin is being brought in for a visit. Happy camper.
Yeah, your boy is coming in. So now we have 2 visits... out of what, 30?
Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

I was watching NFLN last night and they had an interview with Jerel Worthy where he said he was going to visit the Broncos.

At least we're looking at DT's this time...
Old 04-14-2012, 02:22 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Some mid-late round OL prospects coming in:

Levy Adcock, OT, Oklahoma State
Austin Wuebbels, OG, Missouri

Both are road grader types well suited to a power running game.

Scouting these kinds of players suggests that even with the addition of Manning, we'll still see a very Fox-style pounding ground game. The dead giveaway would be if they brought in a true blocking FB like Bradie Ewing (Wisconsin) or Chad Diehl (Clemson) for a visit.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:55 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

More prospect workouts:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...luding-cousins

Quote:
The Broncos are bringing in quarterback draft prospects Kirk Cousins of Michigan State and San Diego State's Ryan Lindley for visits this week. A Broncos contingent also flew down to Arizona State last week to give a private workout of Brock Osweiler.
Quote:
Visiting the Broncos' facility last week was Connecticut defensive tackle Kendall Reyes. Utah State running back Robert Turbin will visit today and Tuesday. Reyes is a projected late-first or second-round pick. Turbin could go anywhere from the second to fourth round.
We also had reps at B.J. Coleman's pro day, so once again the team is putting emphasis on evaluating the QB position.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stokely seemingly brought in to help teach the receivers what to do. Seems like a smart move even if we dont get much production out of him. I guess guys like Gaffney have proven that in the right offense there is a place for experienced guys that know where to run.
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looking at our schedule, we have our work cut out for us. I think we'll go 4-2 in our division and finish up at 8-8 on the year. We have a seriously tough schedule. Even if we go 5-1 in our division, we still have to play

Pitt
Atlanta
New England
Houston
Cincy (on the rise)
Carolina (on the rise)
Baltimore

We win 5 of those max, more like 3-4. Best case scenario we'd go 5-1 in the AFC West and just see losses to NE and Baltimore (13-3 season)

Worst case, we go 3-3 in the division and win 2 out of those 7 games above, finish at like 7-9.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Yes, the schedule is tough but we can do better than 8-8.

I would like to see a dominant performance at home through the combination of no huddle + altitude. This is another reason why I see the run being a more important piece than it was in Indy - keep the pace up, ram the ball down the opponents' throats and then kill them with play action.

I think the draft could have a lot of bearing on our success. Will the team put emphasis on more plug-n-play players/positions (RB, LB, OG, KR) rather than high potential, slow developing prospects?

DT is an interesting problem - it is generally a slow developing position and hard to evaluate. Do they take a guy who they feel can make an immediate, but limited, impact (e.g. situational inside pass rusher) rather than go for the big potential down the road?
Old 04-22-2012, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Interesting read on the offense they are putting together:

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_2...-conductor-not

Quote:
He has been sequestered in a darkened room at Dove Valley, with pad and pen, studying "cutouts" (specific plays, not full game tapes) used by McCoy and coach John Fox when they were together in Carolina, "tapes of what the Packers and the Saints have done well recently," the rushing plays designed for Willis McGahee last year, pass plays the Broncos had before Tebow and, of course, a variety of Manning plays with the Colts.
Quote:
The Fox-McCoy emphasis, historically, on the run "excites" Manning. "People think I'm all about the pass, but if I throw five passes in a game, it means we're running the football well. You play to your strength."
Interesting stuff. It's along the lines of what I expected, as McCoy was quick to comment on his strong feelings about the run game after Manning came on board.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i'd be thrilled if we can grab either miller, wilson, or martin at some point in the draft. unfortunately, their value seems to fall somewhere between our first and second picks, meaning we'd have to get creative to put ourselves in a position to draft one. i fully understand that running back is not a premium position, but i think that the drop off after the aforementioned trio of backs is pretty severe.

also, if carolina would accept a third for stewart, i'd do it in a heartbeat.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:35 AM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cunningham is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

since we're on the topic of running backs, here's a good write up...

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...148455325.html
Old 04-23-2012, 01:21 AM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

they also listed the wrong schools for turbin and pierce...

regardless, there's some interesting tidbits there. i didn't realize that miller's shoulder issues are that severe, that's definitely something that could scare teams off. i'm not buying that ryan williams was a better prospect than david wilson. by and large, though, i agree with a lot of the stuff in there.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:01 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

There are rumors circulating that we made phone calls to see if we could trade up in the teens range for Stephon Gimore.

If this is a smokescreen, I'm not sure what good it does. I hope it's just a false report or that we don't pull the trigger. Gilmore's great and all, but we really need that second round pick. With Dawkins retiring today, we now need to look into a safety next year if Moore/Carter flops this year. We also still have issues at linebacker, interior OL, and the obvious.

I hope we either sit where we are and take a guy who falls to us, or we trade down to the early second.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
If this is a smokescreen, I'm not sure what good it does.
I think it gives them a sense of how fall Kirkpatrick can fall. If Gilmore goes early, there's no way DreK makes it through the gauntlet of picks 17-24.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:02 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I think it gives them a sense of how fall Kirkpatrick can fall. If Gilmore goes early, there's no way DreK makes it through the gauntlet of picks 17-24.
I'm not sure how personally inquiring about Gilmore accomplishes that, though. All it does is get teams thinking that if they want a corner, they'll have to get one by pick 20, since Gilmore, like you said, will be gone early according to this rumor.

If Denver really wants to gauge Dre's stock to see if they can get him, a move like this would hurt their chances of landing him.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:20 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Quote:
If Denver really wants to gauge Dre's stock to see if they can get him, a move like this would hurt their chances of landing him.
Everyone knows we want/need a corner. Champ is old, Porter is a 1 year rental.

Anyway, I would be very surprised to see us trade up to address a need. That's pretty much the opposite of the BPA approach they've been preaching. Hell, Elway was talking up our DT group at the press conference, which seemed like some proactive expectation management to prevent a fanbase rebellion when they go for a LB or offensive player at 25.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:18 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

My final list of who I am ok with round 1, who I am neutral on round 1, and who I hate round 1

OK
Andrew Luck

Trent Richardson

Robert Griffin

Mark Barron

Matt Kalil

Morris Claiborne

Fletcher Cox

Courtney Upshaw

David Decastro

Cordy Glenn

Devon Still

Melvin Ingram

Stephon Gilmore

Justin Blackmon

Quinton Coples

Donta Hightower

Dre Kirkpatrick

Trade down

NEUTRAL

Janoris Jenkins

Peter Konz

Kevin Zeitler

Michael Brockers

Jerel Worthy

NOT OK

Trade up

Chandler Jones

Dontari Poe
Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i really don't like worthy. i don't know how he went from a 3rd round guy during the season, to a first round guy in the post season. i really want nothing to do with him or still based on what i saw on the field all year.
the only reason i'm neutral on him and brockers is because they fill needs. i don't think they're remotely the BPA in any part of round 1. Especially Brockers and Poe, who are entirely developmental to me. We need a guy who is fundamentally solid from day 1.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Cunningham
Rookie

Quote:
the only reason i'm neutral on him and brockers is because they fill needs. i don't think they're remotely the BPA in any part of round 1. Especially Brockers and Poe, who are entirely developmental to me. We need a guy who is fundamentally solid from day 1.
disagree with brockers being considered a developmental pick. he's a guy who should be able to play right away and be an asset against the run while doing so, something that you can't really say about any of the other top defensive tackles. his pass rush, on the other hand, is the part of his game that has yet to be developed.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:45 AM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham View Post
disagree with brockers being considered a developmental pick. he's a guy who should be able to play right away and be an asset against the run while doing so, something that you can't really say about any of the other top defensive tackles. his pass rush, on the other hand, is the part of his game that has yet to be developed.
From what I've read, he'll supposedly be a beast once he gets some coaching. But to me, he doesn't seem like a guy that's ready to come in and make an immediate impact. I also don't think Brockers makes for a very good 3 technique DT in a 4-3 compared to a 5 technique DE in a 3-4. Although, you will have people who say the opposite.

"His technique still needs some work; he still plays a little high at times. He also doesn't change direction that well, which is a concern moving forward. When Brockers gets coached up, however, look out. With his talent and skill set, he'll probably go higher in the draft than his production warrants, but that's because someone will roll the dice and that it'll all come together for him and he'll reach that Pro Bowl potential that his talent indicates is possible."

This is just once source, but I think everyone is saying the same thing. Needs coaching... but what prospect doesn't? The difference is, Brockers sounds like he needs more that most. To me that's developmental. I do agree that Brockers is a potential run stuffer, but I think everyone has discounted Devon Still, who I think has less technical concerns and more production, despite being a relative one year wonder.

Either way, I'd rather go MIKE or WILL round 1. I'd like to see us nab a linebacker who can make a play behind the line of scrimmage for once (aside from Von). I have confidence that Warren and Vickerson can hold their own and free up our guys.

Last edited by Jimmy : 04-24-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Diehard
Veteran

Elway:

Quote:
“We’re talking about now,” Elway said Monday. “Impact doesn’t necessarily mean a starter, but one that can come in and help us win. I think that’s kind of where we are right now.
Quote:
“As I said last year, you have a lot more misses in my mind when you draft to need,” Elway said. “We’re going to try to find the best players in positions of need, but also find the best players to come in and help us right away.”
That seems like a reasonably sensible set of criteria for making a decision. When it's time to pick, take the top graded prospects, drop the ones who don't fit need and then figure out which of the remaining guys will be able to make significant contributions right off the bat.