Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 04-26-2012, 10:14 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At least you guys aren't happy for stealing our guy like last year.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
Meh at least two of those guy won't be on the team next year.

I'm not happy with passing on DeCastro but his main weakness, trouble with size, is the strength of the interior lines in the division.
If you're not a fan of DeCastro, take Reilly Reiff (who is now on one of our biggest rivals for a wild card spot, btw). The biggest problem on our line is still here. He led the league in sacks allowed and penalties. Don't spend the pick on a 3-4 OLB who's had three concussions before his first pro snap.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:15 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reiff can't play LT, so I don't really think the value was there for him. Do you move him to guard? If so, is he a first round guard? I don't see it. I wasn't expecting us to draft Reiff or Decastro (who is too small for Tice).

I don't like the McClellan pick. I can understand why he was the pick, but I would have preferred Mercilus. I don't hate it, however.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:16 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post

Still going to be seeing a lot of this.
I'm really confused why you expected us to draft Reiff. Even though you are a pathological complainer, you at least seem like someone who understands football, so I don't see the logic for a Reiff pick.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Reiff can't play LT, so I don't really think the value was there for him. Do you move him to guard? If so, is he a first round guard? I don't see it. I wasn't expecting us to draft Reiff or Decastro (who is too small for Tice).

I don't like the McClellan pick. I can understand why he was the pick, but I would have preferred Mercilus. I don't hate it, however.
No, I play him at LT and thank my lucky stars that J'Marcus Webb is gone. Webb was outperformed by every tackle in the league last year. Reiff is better than that whether you think he belongs on the right or left side.

...and the logic is that I think he can play on the left side. I also think Carimi can play on the left side. Tice is just an idiot who has unnatural feelings for Webb.

As far as I'm concerned, if DeCastro isn't good enough for your O line coach, fire your idiot O line coach.

Last edited by Monomach : 04-26-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:30 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

The only reasoning I can come up with for this is that Emery is hedging his bets. If he fires Lovie next year, he's got one OLB spot set if he hires a 3-4 coach.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:32 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

The reason is that Reiff can't play LT. Ask an Iowa fan. It would make more sense to move Carimi to LT, and Carimi isn't a great LT either.

You are taking illogically out of J'Marcus Webb hate (which is understandable). Reiff is, at best, a 2nd round LT. We don't need another RT.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:53 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stumped by the McClellin pick. I don't see how he fits into your 4-3. I don't think he's a guy that will line up and beat a tackle with his hand in the ground; I thought he had a chance to be okay as a 3-4 OLB due to scheming and motor but I don't see his upside as a 4-3 DE.

What do you guys think about him? Also, just bizarre you guys passed on DeCastro. He'd be better at TACKLE than anyone you had last year, let alone guard.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:56 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

The biggest knocks on Decastro is that he's a little slight for a guard and not overpowering, focusing more on technique and pulling ability. Mike Tice prefers giant maulers.

Anyone that thought we would pick Decastro doesn't follow the team very closely.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:59 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
Stumped by the McClellin pick. I don't see how he fits into your 4-3. I don't think he's a guy that will line up and beat a tackle with his hand in the ground; I thought he had a chance to be okay as a 3-4 OLB due to scheming and motor but I don't see his upside as a 4-3 DE.
From the GM

Quote:
"He showed us some natural things that the other ends did not show us to as high a level," Emery said. "His ability to bend, his pad level, to get from blocker to ball, to close the gap as quickly as possible … we felt was better than most of the rest of the class."
I only heard about him a few weeks ago, so I can't claim to have much insights into this. I wanted Mercilus, and I'm a little stumped why someone with all of these instincts had such underwhelming stats in the MWC, but whatever.

And, who knows, we may be putting in some 3-4 fronts. Everyone does that versatility **** nowadays.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dislike this pick a lot. Three concussions before the NFL, underwhelming stats in an inferior conference, positional question marks, all with other good talent on board at the same pass rusher position desired. Ugh. What's the silver lining here? Cuz unless this guy turns out to be beast mode, this pick sucks.

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:27 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I guess the silver lining would be that they took McClellan over a bunch of other options that made sense. There are two ways of looking at that. This is clearly a guy the Bears were hoping would be there.

Why they hoped that, I'm still not sure, but I also trust that Emery isn't a complete moron. And I remain an Angelo stalwart.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:29 AM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can live with this pick. McClellin probably won't be a star, but he can at least be a solid starter, which is a hell of a lot better than what we've gotten from Angelo's first round picks. The defense is predictable, and by adding McClellin, you can line him up in different spots and do a lot of different things with him. They can use him at end and move Peppers inside on 3rd down, they can blitz him from linebacker, they can zone blitz and probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting.
I don't take college stats too seriously for defensive players since coaches know who the best players are and do their darndest not to let those guys beat them. Also, the Broncos were usually up by plenty during the second half, so there wasn't much opportunity to do much.
For that second rounder, I wouldn't mind Kelechi Osemele, Dwayne Allen or a corner.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:34 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

If they were up in the second half, that would be more pass attempts, which means more opportunities for sacks.

His numbers aren't terrible, but I'm skeptical of first round guys taken outside of the BCS who don't have massive stats.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im not gonna make judgments until these guys play, its only one pick. I cant pretend to like it, but he's a Bear now. And all da Bears are to be rooted for. Im more disappointed that this team damn near refuses to pick an Illini player, even if he would be a perfect fit for them. >_<

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Jimmy Buckets <3
Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If they were up in the second half, that would be more pass attempts, which means more opportunities for sacks.

His numbers aren't terrible, but I'm skeptical of first round guys taken outside of the BCS who don't have massive stats.
I've watched a lot of tape on him as he was a rather popular mock pick for the Packers and I didn't love him but thought he'd be a solid but unspectacular 3-4 OLB. His best attributes were his ability to operate in space and give you a potentially good cover guy with decent marks in run stopping and pass rushing, mostly due to a high motor.

His primary weakness was his ability to shed or take on blockers, which is one of the main attributes I value in a 4-3 DE.

Such an odd pick. But he should be a decent player, I just wouldn't expect anything spectacular.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
I've watched a lot of tape on him as he was a rather popular mock pick for the Packers and I didn't love him but thought he'd be a solid but unspectacular 3-4 OLB. His best attributes were his ability to operate in space and give you a potentially good cover guy with decent marks in run stopping and pass rushing, mostly due to a high motor.

His primary weakness was his ability to shed or take on blockers, which is one of the main attributes I value in a 4-3 DE.

Such an odd pick. But he should be a decent player, I just wouldn't expect anything spectacular.
Here's my problem, a first round pick should be looked at TO BE SPECTACULAR. Frustrating.....

In Tyler We Trust

Jimmy Buckets <3
Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shea was a target for the Steelers, packers and Pats. once we picked him NE had to trade up.

I hope he can be a suggs type of player. He might be groomed to be the next urlacher

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:45 AM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm hoping for a SLB/DE type role for him. I think that could make our D a bit more unpredictable.

I'm hoping for a blue collar Osi. Either way he's a good football player.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:46 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
Shea was a target for the Steelers, packers and Pats. once we picked him NE had to trade up.

I hope he can be a suggs type of player. He might be groomed to be the next urlacher
Lol two completely different players.

I disliked the pick, still not thrilled with it. What scares me the most is the concussions and the fact that he didn't dominate against lower competition.

If this (260) is pushing his playing weight, does he play OLB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:20 AM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan View Post
Lol two completely different players.

I disliked the pick, still not thrilled with it. What scares me the most is the concussions and the fact that he didn't dominate against lower competition.

If this (260) is pushing his playing weight, does he play OLB?
He's a very lean 260. He can get bigger.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:45 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Yeah, you can look at his body type and tell that he could easily push 275. I'm not sure that's what they want, but he could.

I'm at least encouraged by the low bust rate for Boise State players. I'd say that's his main selling point.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:21 AM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

Quote:
Yeah, you can look at his body type and tell that he could easily push 275. I'm not sure that's what they want, but he could.

I'm at least encouraged by the low bust rate for Boise State players. I'd say that's his main selling point.
I'd be happy with a better looking 260 or 265. I dont hate the pick. I would have preferred someone else but I can live with this.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 PM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
None of whom were going to use him as a 4-3 LE.

Quote:
Never in his college career did he show even half of the range necessary to do that. That's just not what he is. Apples and oranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regoob2 View Post
I'm hoping for a SLB/DE type role for him. I think that could make our D a bit more unpredictable.

I'm hoping for a blue collar Osi. Either way he's a good football player.
Emery said he's playing exclusively left end.

Quote:
If Webb is replaced in the second round and if McClellin gets to 270 and can move while carrying it before camp, I'll probably be a happy camper. I have my doubts on both counts, as I'm sure you do.

Quote:
I had no clue what Boise State players have done in the NFL (other than Clady), so I went and looked at it. McClellin and Doug Martin bring them up to 47 players drafted in their history. So we throw out the two who were just drafted, all of them from a decade ago or longer ago, and any from the too-new-to-judge 2010-2011 drafts. We're left with 7 guys. The breakdown is as follows:

R1- 1
R2- 1
R3- 0
R4- 0
R5- 2
R6- 2
R7- 1

The first rounder is Ryan Clady. Clady looked like a HOF tackle as a rookie. He hasn't showed that since then, but he's been for the most part above average since. An above average left tackle in any round is a great success, so they're 1 for 1.

In round two, we have Gerald Alexander to the Lions in 2007. He's on his fifth team in five years. 'Nuff said. 1 for 2.

In round five, it's Legedu Naanee and Orlando Scandrick. Naanee has a saying made for him. It's "Nothing good happens when you throw it to Naanee." Ok. 1 for 3. Orlando Scandrick is an average slot corner. Pretty good value to get out of a fifth round pick. 2 for 4.

In round six, Korey Hall (2007) and Brock Forsey (2003). Hall hasn't touched a football field since 2010, so 2 for 5. Forsey was a running back for us back in the day. Out of the league after two seasons as a third back. 2 for 6.

In round seven, Derek Schouman in 2007. Never did anything, hasn't seen a field since 2009. 2 for 7.

Realistically, you don't expect anyone after the fourth round to do anything, though. That's where you take long shots and special teams players, so we can really throw them out, too. So we're 1 for 2. 50% successes, 50% huge busts.

I went into this mini-research campaign hoping the result would be an amazing revelation that made me feel better. You tricked me.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:40 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I don't care at all about rounds 4-7. Those are picks that only draftnicks think have serious value.

I was just talking about Clady and the Jets cornerback.