Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2012, 10:04 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2014 Jets Draft Discussion

Why not? Obviously the team didn't hit on a few needs, so there are a lot of potential positions that could get addressed early next year.

The big ones that stick out are OLB, RT, and S.

No OLB was drafted this year obviously. I think that's a sign they like Maybin, so hopefully he steps up this year and does a little more than just bending the edge on third downs. Don't see Pace or Thomas staying past this year, so even if he does it's a need and if not it's a huge, huge need. Hopefully Coples improves the pass rush, but it's going to need to come from that spot too. Will be interesting to see what happens there. I think actually a relatively important factor in whether or not that gets drafted early is the team's success next year. Since it seems like they're going to hold onto the QB's as is for a bit, if the team is terrible and drafts high they might be in position to get a legit edge rusher. They seem very picky about it and don't want to reach on a guy just because it's a need if they don't like the fit, which I kind of like, but eventually it does need to get addressed. Next year's class looks good too, but as we all know that can definitely change quickly.

Obviously RT was one of the weakest spots on the team last year, and again it didn't really get addressed in the draft. Griffin seems like he has RT size but not RT feet, so it appears that he'll preferably stay in at guard and Hunter, Ducasse, and Howard will compete for the starting spot. Needless to say, the team is in trouble unless somebody steps up there. It appears that the team likes Howard and feels the need to give Ducasse a shot. Hopefully with a full offseason program for both young guys and a scheme that may fit them better as it's less complicated, one of them can find success and step up. If not, which unfortunately seems likely, after two years of ignoring it I think it has to get shored up. Shouldn't be too hard, signing somebody in free agency or spending a day 2 pick on a player who can be a solid starter, but it's tough for them to continue ignoring it.

Safety's an interesting spot because we're going to see a lot of turnover this year. Obviously Landry is coming in, and obviously Landry has had issues staying healthy. I think most Jets fans would like to see Eric Smith replaced as well given he really struggles in coverage, and a Landry-Smith duo seems like it would easily get exploited. I'm personally curious to see whether or not they bring back Leonhard, because that with mean three veterans (Landry, Leonhard, Smith), two rookies (Bush, Allen), and a second year guy who entered the supplemental draft and they carried on the practice squad and eventually the roster last year (Tracy Wilson). I think they like Wilson and he'll get the same opportunities that Bush and Allen do. I also think they may need to keep 5 safeties with Landry's health issues, and they can probably justify that by using the younger guys on specials and in sub packages. Regardless, Landry's on a one year deal and he can't be franchised plus he's likely to get hurt, Smith probably/hopefully isn't a long term starter and may not be around much longer, and we've got 3 essentially young unproven guys. Hopefully some of the younger guys stick and they seem like they could complement each other well, and I do think that Ryan's scheme asks things from safeties but it's not necessarily a priority. This could go in any number of directions, but it seems likely that we don't have two clear cut starters heading into next year. Similar situation to RT, I think both are better than OLB but quite shaky.

The three sleeper positions that could be somewhat significant needs are TE, CB and RB.

At TE Keller's in a contract year, and Cumberland is a really interesting guy but hasn't really proven anything. There's questions about how well Keller fit's Sparano's system given he doesn't block that well, and I know they started talks on a contract extension but nothing's solidified yet. I don't think it'd be a huge priority position since I think Sparano's looking more for ideally a Jason Witten type and probably a poor man's version of him but not a field stretcher you invest a high draft pick in, but there's potentially a need for a starter there.

At CB there's a lot invested but depth behind the top 3 is pretty bad right now, Revis is threatening to hold out again, and Ryan loves corners. It's something I could definitely see getting addressed early and being a big time priority position if things break the wrong way.

And RB's a pretty important one too. We all know they really liked Trent Richardson this year. Shonn Greene and Joe McKnight haven't proven anything beyond the fact that they're average NFL players who should be solid backups, Bilal Powell hasn't proved he belongs in the NFL, and Ganaway's a rookie. I think Greene's mediocrity was definitely partially to blame for the team's lack of success last year, and could certainly be upgraded if nobody steps up (which seems likely). For a run-first team I get having a big stable of backs, but they need to be able to run the ball successfully. If they continue to refuse to put together a dominant offensive line, then they need a dominant back. Otherwise I'm not sure how the "ground and pound" offense is supposed to be successful.

Other than that I think the other positions probably aren't going to get looked at very seriously.

At DE obviously Coples and Wilkerson were high draft picks, there's some UDFA depth that they like there, DeVito, Pitoitua, and Dixon are all solid and they like adding other UDFA depth to that spot. Don't see it getting a serious look.

Then at NT Pouha should be around, Ellis is waiting in the wings and looked solid in limited time, and Tevaseu is a pretty solid player in his own right.

The ILB spot looks good with Harris-Scott right now, Harris-Davis if Scott plays terribly this year and hopefully long term, Mauga as solid depth and the UDFA Dowtin as an interesting depth project.

At QB I think financially they're kind of stuck with Sanchbow for a little while, although if both suck next year I'd be open to adding another one. But they won't, so I think it's moot.

Wide receiver could become an issue, but I'm not sure it's a priority position and hopefully it's in decent shape. I don't really see Schilens being here beyond this year, because if he starts and explodes he'll move on for a big contract elsewhere and if he's bad then he won't be brought back. Turner's a decent depth guy and probably has a better shot to compete than most give him credit for. Love Kerley as a slot guy, think he'll stick there long term, and White's interesting there as well. It essentially boils down to Holmes and Hill, but I don't think they draft a guy unless both suck. Seems like Holmes will be here for better or for worse, and they're not going to draft someone to replace their high upside rookie, they'll sign a veteran. So I don't think it's a major draft need, but could see it getting addressed in FA. Hopefully Holmes gets passes thrown his way and is happy and Hill has a Torrey Smith-ish (if maybe a little worse) season and begins developing into a long-term starter. But if not, I still think it's a FA need not a draft need after taking Hill this year.

Guard I kicked around adding to the sleeper needs because Moore's a FA after this year and they're probably letting him go, but I think they're happy with Slauson, love Schlauderaff, and just drafted Griffin. They'll probably let Schlauderaff and Griffin compete for the job next year, maybe sign a vet for depth or draft a guy late, but I think they're happy with that spot.

Center as we were talking about in the 2012 draft thread would be nice to add some solid depth at, and maybe Griffin can be that guy, but not a serious need for a starter.

Fullback they'll address if Conner falls flat on his face next year, but again not a serious need worth mentioning up top. Wonder if Ganaway gets some looks there too.

Kicker and punter I'd be very open to upgrading and think we all would, but that's something that late picks get used on so I didn't feel like throwing it up top.

Last edited by derza222 : 02-24-2014 at 09:42 AM.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote