Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-30-2012, 12:31 AM    (permalink
superfly69
Veteran

superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.superfly69 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
Dallas Cowboys

Morris Claiborne, CB
Tyrone Crawford, DE
Kyle Wilbur, DE
Matt Johnson, DB
Danny Coale, WR
James Hanna, TE
Caleb McSurley, LB

This draft shows the heavy influence Rob Ryan has on the Cowboys, Claiborne at corner will probably start, then back to back DEs. A good, young defense got younger. ESPN gives them a C-, I give them a B- b/c Claiborne will be an instant impact rookie & raises the grade by a letter. Grade would be higher if they had found a pure center, now they will throw that spot open to 3 converted OGs.
They had solid picks every round. The only "gamble" was Matt Johnson. And he was the 3rd small college safety to be drafted at the bottom of round 4.
I give them a solid B/B+.
superfly69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:46 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Yeah I think each team has one of those guys every year. I'm pretty happy with six of our eight picks and I'm indifferent on the other two.

The last two years there were some picks I hated and still hate but there have been the prospects I made a snap judgment on and came around.
I'm the same every year. I think every player we drafted is going to make the team and be awesome. I'm trying to be more realistic though given half the draft picks will probably bust and only a couple will be solid contributors, possibility of being awesome.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:51 AM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From a outsiders view I think Philly had the best draft overall. All the players they got really fit what they want to do as a team. Which in turn will help them become good players in the NFL.

Also the Rams I don't know if I like what they did, but I understand it. They filled out their rostet with nice players while filling big needs on the way. The Michael Brockers pick some don't like, now if youre thinking sacks you will hate him. If you're thinking about a team that was 31st in run D drafting by far the best run defender in the draft then you'll like what they did in round 1.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:31 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I enjoyed watching Massie pancake Brockers on his LSU tape, so maybe we will get a repeat of that in the NFL

But truthfully I love what the Rams did with their defense, they needed CB and DT badly and addressed both, team is still a long way from contending and could even finish bottom 5 again but then maybe they will actually address QB

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:48 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a guru, but a Colts one hasn't been done. I'll give it a crack.

COLTS

1. Andrew Luck QB 6'4" 234 Stanford - A+ The hype has been there and it was the pick that most everyone would have made

34. Coby Fleener TE 6'6" 247 Stanford - A- I like the pick. Having someone who Luck knows and can rely on is important. The chemistry will help between these two.

64. Dwayne Allen TE 6'3" 255 Clemson - C+ I'm warming up to this pick as the Colts with Bruce Arians will be running two TE sets, but I still would have rather seen a CB drafted here. The defense just seemed to be neglected. This is another target for Luck, but I question his ability to block.

92. T.Y. Hilton WR 5'10" 183 Florida International - C+ I would rather have seen a defensive player taken. I understand the thinking here though. This guy can stretch the field if Avery can't stay healthy and he can also be a viable return man.

136. Josh Chapman DT 6'1" 316 Alabama - A I loved this pick. Finally the Colts address the NT position. I was really hoping for Ta'amu, but Chapman will do. I am concerned about his ability to pressure the QB, but as long as he demands double teams then he will serve his purpose.

170. Vick Ballard RB 5'10" 219 Mississippi St. - D+ This pick didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Darren Evans, and Delone Carter are bruising backs and that is exactly what Ballard seems to be. I hope he can contribute, but I was hoping to see a more electric runner picked in this draft.

206. LaVon Brazill WR 5'11" 192 Ohio - C+ I don't know much about this guy. He has speed and has shown statistical development throughout his college career, but I think he has injury concerns. Likely a special teams gunner.

208. Justin Anderson T 6'4" 335 Georgia - B+ I liked that we added to the Oline. I can see this guy being a solid backup by the end of camp. He has good strength and ability, but he lacks balance.

214. Tim Fugger DE 6'3" 248 Vanderbilt - A Loved this pick. Fugger can be a major contributor on special teams and bring competition to our LB core.

253. (MR IRRELEVANT) Chandler Harnish QB 6'2" 219 Northern Illinois C I'm kind of indifferent to this pick. The guy is mobile and seems to be a solid backup for Luck moving forward.

OVERALL: C+ I'm excited to see how Luck utilizes the picks that were dedicated to help him grow, but the defense is definitely lacking. I just can't bear to see our defense be awful for the 8th season in a row. Our offense is formidable though.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:51 AM    (permalink
Bixby (Thumper)
Rookie

Location: "Everybody sounds like Meryl Streep with a gun to their head."
Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bixby (Thumper) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eagles: A
-This class is buoyed by Fletcher Cox, Mychal Kendricks, Vinny Curry and Brandon Boykin, all of whom fill an immediate need.

Fletcher Cox: Andy Reid mentioned that in calls around the NFL he learned Fletcher Cox likely wouldn't make it past the sixth pick but after some trade ups from other teams he started falling. He's an athletic, penetrator who can beat guards with his quickness and he has good core strength to be a factor in the run game. Jim Washburn loves Fletcher Cox, he said that he took his breath away and that "when God made him, he made him to play in this scheme". Jim Washburn then compared him to Richard Seymour. Grade: A+

Mychal Kendricks: Short, athletic and blood thirsty linebacker. He's versatile, instinctive and he plays fundamentally sound and aggressive football. He's the Pac-10 defensive player of the year and people rave about the energy and passion he brings to the game. Grade: A

Vinny Curry: Curry is a perfect fit for the Eagles' wide nine defense, he is very quick off the LOS, he converts speed to power and he's at his best when he can pin his ears back and go. I firmly believe that he'll be an extremely productive player in the scheme the Eagles currently run. Andy Reid said that he had a late first round grade on Vinny Curry. Grade: A

Nick Foles: The Eagles drafted a developmental QB who is going to have to do battle with Mike Kafka and Trent Edwards. He's not a typical Andy Reid QB and I really do not think that Foles is very good. As a matter of fact Andy Reid said he wanted to draft Russell Wilson in this round but Seattle took him. This is just a case where the Eagles reached because they decided they were going to draft a QB come hell or high water. Grade: F

Brandon Boykin: Home. Freaking. Run. The Eagles needed an upgrade at nickel corner over Joselio Hanson and they needed someone with the versatility to also play outside because depth got a bit thinner after Asante was traded. Oh and the Eagles desperately needed a kickoff returner as they were 29th in the NFL last year in kick returns and punt returns and they were 18th in average starting field position. Brandon Boykin fills every single one of those needs. Grade: A+

Dennis Kelly: This is one of Andy's little projects, he said that he, Howie Roseman and Ryan Grigson identified him on tape and really liked him before Grigson left to Indianapolis. He's a big 6'8" and 320 pound tackle with heavy hands, good length, intelligence and durability. Word is that he also has decent feet for a man of his size and that he's a good bender. Andy compared him to Jon Runyan after he was picked. The Eagles need some more offensive line depth and Kelly sounds like a decent swing tackle option who would be best at right tackle. I'd really like to see more though but my initial impression of him gets this pick a.. Grade: C

Marvin McNutt: The Eagles needed a receiver, last year the depth players really struggled when Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson went down with injuries. And in addition to needing a warm body at WR after Jackson, Maclin and Avant they needed them to be big. Riley Cooper sucks, he's a big receiver who isn't a reliable target, plays 5'10" and doesn't high point the ball. The Eagles may have solved these problems by selecting a sliding Marvin McNutt, he's a big (6'2"), polished receiver with good hands and routes and he can really go and get the ball with his 37" vertical jump. I can say with a fair amount of confidence that McNutt was the best receiver on the board at this point. Grade: A

Brandon Washington: I really, really liked this pick. When I watched Miami in 2010 Washington flashed as a guard. He was energetic and athletic. He could get into space and pull well for a big man. He was finishing blocks. He was creating movement. He looked like a guard that could've been drafted much, much earlier but he struggled at LT this past season and slipped. Andy has already said he is moving B-Wash to guard. He gets to compete with Julian Vandervelde and Steve Vallos for a back up guard spot so you can clearly see he's needed. Grade: B

Bryce Brown: Took a chance on talent, not expecting much. Grade: D

Last edited by Bixby (Thumper) : 04-30-2012 at 06:05 AM.
Bixby (Thumper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:02 AM    (permalink
stl9erfan
Veteran

stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.stl9erfan could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
Also the Rams I don't know if I like what they did, but I understand it. They filled out their rostet with nice players while filling big needs on the way. The Michael Brockers pick some don't like, now if youre thinking sacks you will hate him. If you're thinking about a team that was 31st in run D drafting by far the best run defender in the draft then you'll like what they did in round 1.
As a 49ers fan, I hated what the Rams did... by which I mean I think they did a really good job. I was a fan of almost every pick they made in the first two days, and they had a lot of them (only one I didn't like was Pead-- to me, there were better RBs available at the time). And when you look at overall draft strategy, I think they knocked it out of the park. Turning the second pick of the draft into 3 firsts and 3 seconds? For a rebuilding team, that's brilliant. And as bigbuc stated, Brockers fills a huge need for them. The Rams have had some issues with drafting DTs in the past, but I think they finally got their man, and he's going to make guys like Laurinitis and Long that much better. And if Jenkins and Johnson keep their heads screwed on straight, adding them to Finnegan is going to make for one heck of a secondary. They've still got work to do-- I'm not a believer in their OL or much of their offensive skill position talent, but they got a LOT better this weekend and set themselves up to get a lot better in future years too.
stl9erfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:43 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cincinnati Bengals

1(17)- Dre Kirkpatrick CB, Alabama-- Exactly where I thought we would go with this pick and I really like it. If not for his possession ticket he would've likely gone higher. Fills a need and he comes into a great situation where he can learn from some quality vets. A

1(27) Kevin Zeitler OG, Wisconsin-- Not the name most were probably expecting to hear as the G we were to draft this year but I really like the pick. Beast in the run game who also never gave up a sack at Wisc. Reminds me of Andrew Whitworth in some ways. Will likely start right away and form a powerful duo on the right side along with Andre Smith. Fills the biggest need we had going into the draft IMO. A

2(53) Devon Still DT, Penn State-- An impressive big bodied DT with really good athleticism to help shore up our interior DL. I think we simply went BPA here as DT wassn't one of the most pressing of needs going into the draft with Peko, Geno, and Sims on the roster already. Likely my favorite pick of the draft as far as value is concerned and I think he's in a great situation to both get some experience and continue to develop in an already great DT rotation. We might've gotten the 2nd best DT in this draft at 53. A+

3(83) Mohamed Sanu WR, Rutgers-- Another great value here who also fills a need with the departure of Jerome Simpson. I think his versatility and blocking ability are second to none as far as WRs go in this class and I am very stoked about his future alongside Mr. AJ Green. I don't think the comparisons to TJ Houshmanzadeh are unwarranted. A

3(93) Brandon Thompson DT, Clemson-- Once again I think we went BPA here with this pick. Incredibly strong DT with the athleticism to make plays in the backfield and one hell of a value IMO. Mayock had him going in the 2nd round and after watching his film I can see why. Instead of going DeCastro we basically got him and Zeitler to move back a few spots. We just pulled a Pats move on the Pats. B+

4(116) Orson Charles TE, Georgia-- Huge fan of his as I got to see a ton of this guy at UGA. Incredible physical skills and he runs great routes. Will need to continue to bulk up and improve his blocking technique to where he can become better at 'latching on' to opponents. His DUI doesn't really bother me very much as I think he's a high character kid who made a mistake. A-

5(156) Shaun Prater CB, Iowa-- It's gonna be tough for this kid to make the team but from what I've seen he should be a standout on special teams. Good pick who will make the competition at CB during training camp even more heated. B

5(166) Marvin Jones WR, CAL-- Could prove to be a steal of a pick here in the 5th. Suffered a bit this year due to terrible QB but the kid has some skills and some good athletic ability. B+

5(167) George Iloka S, Boise State-- Another big bodied safety that Zim seems to covet. I don't really see where he fits on this team but he does have some potential and was definitely worth a shot at this point. C+

6(191) Dan Herron RB, Ohio State-- Solid late round pick who could push for the last RB spot with Cedric Peerman while also being somewhat of an insurance policy if BScott struggles this year. Will have to prove special teams value to make the roster for sure. C

Overall I'd give this draft an A as of now. We didn't reach for anyone and got a ton of value with our picks especially in the middle rounds while also filling a bunch of needs that I personally felt needed to be filled. I'm pretty glad we didn't overdraft a RB or a WR as well. We'll see in a few years but I think this could be the draft that gets us over the hump and makes us a contender year in and year out.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:21 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

St. Louis Rams

1st round (14th overall) Michael Brockers; Defensive Tackle, LSU
- When the season ended the Rams were sitting there with the 2nd overall selection in the draft and most people were projecting either USC Offensive Tackle Matt Kalil or Oklahoma State Wide Receiver Justin Blackmon. After a phenomenal performance/interview process at the NFL Combine just about every team was drooling over the potential of Heisman winner Robert Griffin lll and the Rams did an absolute fantastic job trading down to the 6th overall selection and getting future picks that'll surely help this franchise. So on draft day we were pretty much guaranteed one of the "elite 6" in this draft. But when Richardson and Blackmon went off the board before the Rams could pick, instead of selecting LSU Defensive Back Morris Claiborne the Rams traded back once again, this time all the way down to the 14th selection. There they selected Morris Claiborne's teammate, LSU Defensive Tackle Michael Brockers. It was a position of major need, I think our starting Nose Tackle before the draft would of been Gary Gibson, sooo yeah. Brockers can come in and help the run defense which ranked 28th last year immediately,and hopefully with good coaching he can develop into a decent pass rusher. I've heard two comparisons when talking about Brockers, I've heard Richard Seymour and I've heard Marcus Stroud, I would be ecstatic if he turns into either one. I do know this though, With The selection of Brockers and the Free Agent signing of Kendall Langford, the Rams have one of the best young Defensive Lines in the NFL. However, the Rams failed to get a blue chip prospect, and the Rans don't have a lot of those kinda guys on this team. Claiborne, Kalil, Blackmon are blue chip guys. Brockers has the potential to be and maybe if he went back to school and played his Junior year he would of been a blue chip guy coming into the 2013 draft, but he isn't there yet.
GRADE: B

2nd Round (33rd overall) Brian Quick; Wide Receiver, Appalachian State
- I actually really like this selection. Quick is a legit number one kind of receiver, has ALL the tools to be. Every season we beg for the Rams to get some Receivers for Bradford, remember last year? Sims-Walker, Greg Salas? Austin Pettis? When those guys joined the Rams I don't think any of us expected them to develop into #2 or #1 type Wideouts. It wasn't a sexy name like Randle or Hill but thinking about it, I'm glad they didn't go with Hill, that dude is so raw right now and he has problems catching the football. We dealt with that enough last year. The thing that scares me though is the level of competition he played while in college, some comparisons I've heard have been Terrell Owens, Brandon Marshall but I've also heard he could be the next Ramses Barden.
GRADE: B+

2nd Round (39th overall) Janoris Jenkins; Cornerback, North Alabama
- I didn't like this selection, I loved this selection. I can't remember the last time the Rams took a chance on a player of this caliber, Is Jenkins a boom or bust player? absolutely, but talent-wise? he's a top 15 prospect in this draft and if he can get his head on straight, he makes our secondary pretty exciting with Him, Fletch on the outside and most likely Finnegan covering the slot receiver. I've heard Jenkins has the best man to man cover skills of anyone in this draft and yes, that does include Morris Claiborne. I absolutely loved Les Snead's quote at the end of the draft "you can't draft scared"
GRADE: A

2nd Round (50th overall) Isaiah Pead; Running back, Cincinatti
- Wait what? the Rams finally got a decent backup to Steven Jackson? No this must be a dream, right? After what, 3-4 seasons of us hearing about how the Rams needed to get a solid backup to Steven, and every season we have some undrafted free agent who looks like garbage. FINALLY!!!! yes!!! Pead is a low 4.4 guy, deffinetly a homerun threat, something IMO the Rams needed, similiar to Lamichael James in terms of explosiveness, but where I think the two are different is with James I see him as a 10-12 carry running back, he's never going to carry the load for an NFL team, Pead has the potential to be a 18-25 carry back in the NFL.

3rd Round (65th overall) Trumaine Johnson; Cornerback, Montana
- Rams really loaded up in the secondary this offseason, Finnegan, Jenkins and now Johnson. I know one thing, all three guys can HIT. Johnson like Jenkins ha ssome off the field issues, but talent wise? he's a 2nd round grade by most draft sites. It still isn't really clear how the Rams are going to use him corner or Safety, Fisher says Corner, but I think when it's all said and done he'll find himself in that safet role. Heck, I've even heard the Rams are going to be running a lot of 4-2-5 looks which makes a lot of sense. The Rams have a lot of hyprid CB/S type players (Fletcher, Murphy, Johnson) Guys who can make plays in the run game.

4th Round (96th overall) Chris Givens; Wide Receiver, Wake Forest
- As Mike Mayock said when the pick was made "I'm telling you Charles, this draft for the Rams, TON of talent. Boom or bust for some of these guys, but a TON of talent" Givens is projected as a slot receiver with some off the field issues like the previous selections, although I don't think his issues are as troubling. Givens is a high 4.3 - low 4.4 guy with nice athletic ability, he's a better slot receiver then both Amendola and Salas. If I had to project our starting wideouts right now I think we'll see Steve Smith and Brian Quick on the outside, with Givens in the slot. I know that's a lot to ask of your rookies but they clearly are more talented then the other Receivers at that spot. And if I had to predict a preaseason cut surprise, it would be Danny Amendola. I think both Givens and Salas are better then Amendola in the slot.

5th Round (150th overall) Rokevious Watkins; Offensive Guard, South Carolina
- Mammoth of a man, 6'4 338 pounds, Watkins with development can be a servicable starter. He's a good run blocker who's prtty quick for his size, his pass blocking however does need a ton of work. I really like this selection, I was tired of seeing Jacob Bell play the season at 280-290 pounds and just get man-handled by Defensive Tackles. Finally we could potentially get some push up front in the run game, color me excited.
GRADE: B

6th Round (171st overall) Greg Zuerlein; Kicker, Missouri Western
- There are a couple reasons I love this selection. one is, the dude has a rocket launcher for a leg. 9/9 from 50+ yards, something like 95 kicking% a long of 58 yards and that was outside, not in a dome. And this allows us to save some money by releasing Josh Brown. Josh was a decent kicker for the Rams but no where near as good as to what we were paying him, I think he was going to make somewhere around 3.5 million this upcoming season. And lets face it, he did struggle last year.

7th Round (209th overall) Aaron Brown; Linebacker, Hawaii
- A two year starter for the Hwaii Warriors, a forner Rugby player so you know he isn't afraid of contact. Might never develop into a starting outside linebacker but could be a cor especial teams player. Could play a similiar role on this team as Chris Chamberlain did in years past, and who knows maybe with a few seasons and some coaching he could develop into a starter like Chris did.
GRADE: B-

7th Round (252nd overall) Daryl Richardson; Runningback, Abeline Christian
- I don't really know much about Richardson, from what I hear he's a homerun threat that some had graded as a 5th round prospect. He'll probably fight with Chase Reynolds to be the teams 3rd runningback, but when it's all said and done I done see either making the Final 53. I think when preseason is over and all the cuts come out, that's when the Rams find their 3rd back. But it's the last pick of the draft and if you think the kid has some potential then I don't see why not. Easier then trying to sign him as an undrafted free agent.
GRADE: C+

Last edited by holt_bruce81 : 04-30-2012 at 04:23 AM.
holt_bruce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:10 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Round 1, pick 11: Dontari Poe - NT - Memphis (A)

Poeis reputed to have been their #1 NT before the Combine. Scott had him as his #1 DT for a while. Seriously, this is very solid pick. That being said, it appears Kuechly was their guy.

Round 2, pick 44: Jeff Allen - OG - Illinois (B+)

OL was thin and banged up last year. Improving it was an off season priority. Allen is a natural in pass blocking, so he looks like a LG. Lilja was much better at RG than LG, and he's 30, so that makes sense.

Round 3, pick 74: Donald Stephenson - OT - Oklahoma (B+)

In the theme of the last post, more work on the OL. DS has 1st round tools, but is very raw. Winston has a 4 year contract, but after 2012 and maybe 2013, he will face some competition. For that matter, DS may push Albert to RT.

Round 4, pick 107: Devon Wylie - WR - Fresno State (A)

The Chiefs draft middle rounds for roles or total value. Wylie is a role guy. Breaston is one sort of slot receiver, and Wylie is another. He plays a lot from day one, and may catch 100 passes some year.

Round 5, pick 146: DeQuan Menzie - S - Alabama (B-)

I am persuaded to like this pick a little better now than at first. I still think its a reach. Menzie is an undersized safety, who played CB in college. He si a prototypical Chiefs player: focused, dedicated, overachiever. He will be a great ST hammer, and may have been drafted as a ST first player. Another case of drafting roles.

Round 6, pick 182: Cyrus Gray - RB - Texas A&M (B)

I am not a big fan. For a RB that is built like a truck, he does not play like one. Still, he has virtues, and his price is very sheap. He will have to learn pass blocking if he is going to get any PT.

Round 7, pick 218: Jerome Long - DT - SDSU (D)

I will not fail a 7th round pick. I just hope the Chiefs know something everyone else does not. This guy makes Gabe Miller look publicized.

Round 7, pick 238: Junior Hemingway - WR - Michigan (B)

Now we are talking. This is what I want from a 7th round pick. Good body, but a tad short for TE. Played in Michigan's funky offense. He looks like a good WR5/ST gunner/H-back in training. Good dice roll.

The Chiefs had few holes, and they addressed the big one at #11. Poe could be a combination of a lot of good players, but really he is unique--a NT who can both penetrate and anchor. His technique isnt yet, but he will make a difference by year end. The rest of the draft addressed depth issues at OL, WR, DB and especially ST. Other than Poe, there likely will not be any immediate starters, but down the road, we could have several.

For a grade, this draft is solid, but lacks last year's brilliance. B+.

J
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Kuechly was ever the Chiefs' guy. He wasn't a very good fit for them and wouldn't have brought much to the table outside of making DJ somewhat expendable when he asks for a massive contract.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:05 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chiago Bears

1. Shea McClellin- D. Yes, we needed a defensive end. But was this the right guy? He is a much better fit in a 3-4 defense. He is well undersized. And there were much better players on the board. If they wanted to go defensive end, Chandler Jones, and Whitney Mercilus would have been better picks. I would have gone Decastro (although he doesn't fit the mold Mike Tice usually likes). If Shea can add 10-15 pounds and keep his athleticism, this pick may work out.

2. Alshon Jeffery- C+. A lot of Bears fans like this pick. Me, not so much. Jeffery was one of my least favorite prospects. He has a tendency to gain weight, he isn't all that explosive, and there was one play in particular I hated. He ran a come back route. Rather than come towards the ball, he sat there and waited for it, allowing the corner to pick it off. I just don't like the way he plays. Plus, we traded up for him.

3. Brandon Hardin- B. I'll admit, I don't know much about him because he didn't play last year. But he seems to have good athleticism and can cover. Hopefully he'll take over for Major Wright. If he can stay off IR, he should be a solid player.

4. Evan Rodriguez- B-. We needed a tight end. Rodriguez could fill the void, although he projects as more of an H-Back. I would have been happier with a larger guy to fill the role of Tight End, but not a bad pick.

5. Isiah Frey- C. We needed a corner, but was he the best one available? I also wish we would have drafted this spot earlier (Josh Robinson 2nd round possibly).

6. Greg McCoy- C. Another corner? Yeah, we need help there. But we also need depth at linebacker, offensive line, and defensive line. It's the 7th round, so I won't hit them too hard on it.

Overall Grade: C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:22 AM    (permalink
jth1331
Veteran

jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jth1331 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ITT: A homer fest
Everybody throwing out A's and B's for their teams drafts
jth1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:06 AM    (permalink
mdmgrand
Rookie

mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cleveland Browns

Round 1, Pick 3:
Trent Richardson, RB A-
- This is the guy that I wanted all along. I am a little upset about losing three draft choices just to move up one spot, as they could have been used in different trade opportunities later on, but still the Browns drafted an elite player on offense. Richardson can become a back similar to Jamal Lewis (early Ravens form).

Round 1, Pick 22:
Brandon Weeden, QB C
- While I do believe Weeden is a good player, I just don't believe in the value of drafting him this high, mainly due to his age. His advanced age buys him absolutely no time in the eyes of the fans, and I'm assuming the Front Office. He must be thrown in right away, and I believe if he does not show enough after his first two years, the Browns must give up on him already. I do credit the Front Office if they truly believe this will work out as a win now move. Surely we can all agree that Weeden's arm opens up the offense, and will probably make Little and Massaquoi look much better.

Round 2, Pick 37:
Mitchell Schwartz, OT B
- Schwartz is the type of player who can come in and start at RT. Early on in the draft process, I had a few mocks that put Schwartz on the Browns in the 3rd and 4th. I can't argue with professionals if they believe a solid RT is worth taking top of the second round. He has loads of experience and solid all around ability.

Round 3, Pick 87:
John Hughes, DT C-
- I am happy that the Browns traded down 20 spots while picking up an extra fourth. That alone gave this grade a C-, Hughes doesn't really do much to change it. He is a big guy, and his play dramatically increased during his senior year. One thing to keep in mind, his teammate, Derek Wolfe, went high in the second round after being projected as a mid round pick.

Round 4, Pick 100:
Travis Benjamin, WR B
- Benjamin provides exactly what the Browns core has been lacking, speed. Benjamin has dynamic speed, and dynamic run after the catch ability. He has added value as a return man as well.

Round 4, Pick 120:
James-Michael Johnson, LB A
- I believe Johnson will get a lot of playing time early on as a rookie. The Browns needed a thick backer with solid athleticism. Johnson will help the porous run defense up front.

Round 5, Pick 160:
Ryan Miller, OG/OT C+
- The more I read up on Miller, the more I like the pick. He has experience at both tackle and guard, and that is what he will be doing for the Browns. He's huge at 6-7, 320, and is pretty athletic. His stock has been all over the place, from the second round to undrafted. As a depth guy with experience and a known nasty streak, he is a perfect fifth round pick.

Round 6, Pick 204:
Emmanuel Acho, OLB C+
- I see this as decent value in the sixth round. When watching highlights, I just don't see a guy who will be a starter in this league. For depth and special teams, I like the pick.

Round 6, Pick 205:
Billy Winn, DT A
- This to me was the best pick the Browns made during the whole draft, value wise. Winn has the ability to play, and play as a rookie in the rotation. I fully expect him to beat out Hughes for a spot in the rotation. His stock was all over the place as well, but he is an absolute steal in the sixth round.

Round 7, Pick 245:
Trevin Wade, CB B-
- Wade does not have great speed, but he does have quality change of direction ability. If he sticks, he could develop into a spot starter in nickel formations.

Round 7, Pick 247:
Brad Smelley, H-Back C
- He is a great H-Back prospect, and will probably make the team, but I do not believe he overtakes Marecic as the lead blocker, or cracks into the top two TE spots. I still could see one or two goal line touchdown catches for him, and that would be great for a seventh round pick.

OVERALL: B-
- The Browns needed help to both run the ball, and stop the run. Regardless of what people say, those two aspects are still extremely important. Just look at the win/loss records of the teams who can't. Rushing the ball and stopping the run control the clock, which is very important in this NFL where teams like to score quickly.
mdmgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:37 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Indianapolis Colts

1:1 - Andrew Luck - QB - Standford

Need: We just cut a HOF QB.
Value: Best QB prospect in years.
Grade: A+
I Would've Picked: n/a
Analysis: Great pick, 2011 was awful but it will probably have been worth it.

2:2 - Coby Fleener - TE - Stanford

Need: We have one TE and he only blocks.
Value: This is about where he was expected to go.
Grade: B-
I Would've Picked: LB Courtney Upshaw or OG Cordy Glenn
Analysis: I am not a fan of just copying the Patriots and I don't think Fleener is that special. I don't see him being a top 5 TE in the NFL. I hope I'm wrong. I think we should've gone defense with this pick, or Rueben Randle, or traded back if possible.

3:1 - Dwayne Allen - TE - Clemson

Need: We just drafted a pass-catching TE and this guy is slow.
Value: About where he was expected to go.
I Would've Picked: CB Josh Robinson
Analysis: I don't know if this was the plan all along or if it became the plan when the draft fell the way it did. It seems pretty intentional which to me doesn't say BPA. I would've definitely gone defense here. This TE class is pretty weak and we could've gotten a better athlete in Taylor Thompson or Egnew later in the draft. Hopefully he is not a typical Clemson prospect. If everything goes right our offense could be very difficult to defend.

3:29 - T.Y. Hilton - WR - Florida Int'l

Need: We just took 2 pass-catching TEs and might already have WR1, 2, and 3 on the roster, so I'd say it's low.
Value: I'm not convinced we needed to trade up or that he was worth giving up a pick next year for. Kickoffs are going away so returners aren't that valuable anymore.
Grade: C-
I Would've Picked: NT Alameda Ta'amu or OT Bobby Massie
Analysis: He seems like a Desean Jackson type of player. I am trying to be positive but I wonder how we are going to play defense and ever get the ball back for Luck and all these weapons.

5:1 - Josh Chapman - NT - Alabama

Need: We have two backup/rotational types on the roster but no starter.
Value: IMO, Chapman is a late 2nd/early 3rd round value so getting him in the 5th is excellent.
Grade: A+
I Would've Picked: n/a
Analysis: I expect Chapman to be our starter at NT. Maybe not this year as he recovers from ACL surgery. But at least starting in 2013, maybe midway through this season. This is my 2nd favorite pick after Luck. Love his toughness, attitude, and understanding of the NT position.

5:35 - Vick Ballard - RB - Mississippi St.

Need: We already have 3 RBs, two that are very similar to Ballard. Another offensive pick?
Value: This late value isn't a big issue.
Grade: C-
I Would've Picked: S Markelle Martin, OG Brandon Washington, WR Tommy Streeter
Analysis: He seems awfully similar to Delone Carter and Darren Evans. There were better players on the board that we need more than another RB.

6:36 - LaVon Brazill - WR - Ohio

Need: OMG more offense, really?
Value: A comp. 6th selection can't really be bad value
Grade: F
I Would've Picked: CB Alfonzo Dennard, DE Cam Johnson, LB Audie Cole, SS Antonio Allen
Analysis: I know nothing about this guy but we already took a QB, 2 TEs, a RB and now a 2nd WR? When a 2nd round CB talent was still on the board? Come on. Wasted pick.

7th Round Picks:
Justin Anderson - OT - Georgia
Tim Fugger - DE - Vanderbuilt - A+ for looking like the villian in a Karate Kid movie.
Chandler Harnish - QB - N. Illinois

OVERALL GRADE: B-

Luck and Chapman were slam dunk picks. The TEs seem luxurious for a team trying to transition to a 3-4 but they may become the engine that drives our offense. There was a lot of talent still available when they were picked so they will really need to produce to be worth it. 1 WR would've been fine but 2 was irresponsible, especially with the defensive talent still available. Same for the RB, needless. I didn't grade the 7th rounders because I don't expect much from any of them.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:42 AM    (permalink
jCut
Veteran

jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jCut is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will give Denver a C. They got an interior pass-rusher in Wolfe, which was their number 1 need. Other than that, nothing exciting and I wonder what could have been if they hadn't drafted for need.

WELCOME REALITY
jCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:55 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
No one fails the draft after two days.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:59 PM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.

Tampa Bay gets an A
Dominick and Schiano really worked the board the first two days. Started out with a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th and ended up with two 1st's, 2nd, 5th, 6th and two 7th's.
We got the best rated safety, OLB (4-3) and 2nd rated RB in the draft. All were needs and highly regarded. Last day was a little less flashy but we got more physical on D with Goode and Tandy and an interesting scat back in Smith.
kBuc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
No one fails the draft after two days.
No one ever comes out with less talent than they started the draft with.

J
Old 04-30-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
I_C_DeadPeople
Rookie

I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.I_C_DeadPeople is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regoob2 View Post
It's hard to not give them an A+.
And for all, this is the Bengals 3rd straight solid draft so the changes they have made can no longer be considered luck or coincidence pertaining to the draft.

Now the coaches have to get these young guys winning playoff games.
I_C_DeadPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:49 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_C_DeadPeople View Post
And for all, this is the Bengals 3rd straight solid draft so the changes they have made can no longer be considered luck or coincidence pertaining to the draft.

Now the coaches have to get these young guys winning playoff games.
The problem is that the Bengals draft of 2010 is not looking as good now.

1.21 TE Jermaine Gresham Oklahoma
2.22 DL Carlos Dunlap Florida
3.20 WR Jordan Shipley Texas
3.32 DB Brandon Ghee Wake Forest
4.22 DL Geno Atkins Georgia
4.33 LB Roddrick Muckelroy Texas
5.21 OL Otis Hudson Eastern Illinois
6.22 WR Dezmon Briscoe Kansas
7.21 OG Reggie Stephens Iowa State

Geno Atkins has been a find, but who else on this list has exceeded expectations? How many could you trade for the same pick?

J
Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
The problem is that the Bengals draft of 2010 is not looking as good now.

1.21 TE Jermaine Gresham Oklahoma
2.22 DL Carlos Dunlap Florida
3.20 WR Jordan Shipley Texas
3.32 DB Brandon Ghee Wake Forest
4.22 DL Geno Atkins Georgia
4.33 LB Roddrick Muckelroy Texas
5.21 OL Otis Hudson Eastern Illinois
6.22 WR Dezmon Briscoe Kansas
7.21 OG Reggie Stephens Iowa State

Geno Atkins has been a find, but who else on this list has exceeded expectations? How many could you trade for the same pick?

J
Uhhh Gresham is a vertical weapon, Dunlap has beasted the past 2 seasons and Atkins is a stud along the defensive line. That's a great draft class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lions

1-23 Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa....A

We desperately needed to get younger on the line in some way, with Backus at 35 and on his last couple of useful years, and got the second best tackle in the draft. Fits the team as the successor to Backus in a year or two, and in the mean time, can play RT or RG this season. Just a very good pick overall.

2-54 Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma........B-

Eh, WR wasn't really a need considering the Lions already have Calvin/Burleson/Titus, as well as our two useful tight ends (Pettigrew and Scheffler). If Broyles can fully recover form his ACL injury in time for the season, he could be pretty damn useful in the slot this season. Could be a nice value pick at the end of the day.

3-85 Dwight Bentley, S, Louisana-Lafayette.......B+

Finally addressed our massive need for DBs with Bentley, and was rated highly on several boards. Solid value and need pick, and should play right away.

4-125 Ronnell Lewis, DE/OLB, Oklahoma.......B+

Loved this pick, simply because it fit a need with depth at DE or SLB, and he gives us an extra pass rusher. If he can stay healthy, which is a big if, he will be a huge asset for the future.

5-138 Tahir Whitehead, LB, Temple........D

I don't really know what to expect here nor do I know much about him. Probably a camp body in the end with a potential to stick as a weakside backup or a special teams guy, but doesn't do much for me.

5-148 Chris Greenwood, CB, Albion.......B-

Don't know much about him again, but he is a pretty big corner with insane athletic ability, so worth a flier at this point. Could contribute as a last ditch DB on the team.

6-196 Jonte Green, DB, New Mexico State....D

Another random ass DB that I basically know nothing about, but I suppose he could be camp fodder again and make the practice squad. Don't see him contributing to this team really.

7-223 Travis Lewis, LB, Oklahoma..........A-

Another Oklahoma player, but pretty damn good value here. He's a perfectly solid backup inside linebacker and he'll be more useful than Bobby Carpenter was for us the last year and a half.

Grade: B- to B

Depending on where it's at. It was a decent draft which addressed needs, but outside of Reiff, I don't know anyone who will make a huge splash this season.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Bobo
Veteran

Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bobo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1st off, I envy the Eagles draft so much

2nd, beware, incoming wall of text...

1. Kendall Wright - B
If WR was a position of need (imo of course), I'd give this an easy A. The only catch for me is will we get full potential and much added production out of our loaded roster of receivers (and I'm counting our 3 TE's in here too). We will need to sling the ball like we had Warren Moon still on the team. It's exciting to think about being a top passing team in the league, but how well will we transition to that and how well will our QB's fit in that role?

As far as Wright himself, he is electric like they say. Michael Irvin talked about his stride length helping him a lot. He loved him, so did Mayock. After watching him and reading up, so do I. He does bring an extra dimension to the offense. The ability to separate is huge. Supposedly drops very few passes. Not tall, but has a great vertical and can go up and snatch the ball. I hope we see lots of 3 wide sets which puts defenses in difficult positions 1 on 1, and possibly open up running lanes for CJ.

2. Zach Brown - B-
Mychael Kendricks vs Zach Brown. Both players visited the Titans. If Kendricks lasts 6 more picks, do the Titans take him over Brown? I think so. Brown just didn't look as good to me, but I see the need here.

He plays up to his timed speed, but his change of direction and lateral agility don't quite match, although they are not bad (McRath comes to mind). Seems to give up too much cushion in zone coverage or just doesn't have a great feel for it. The "allergic to contact" thing is overblown imo (like with Ayers last year), although like most athletic guys he will try to make the blocker miss which can sometimes set up the ball carrier with an easy cut away from him. Shows good blitzing ability, also played with his hand down some. Hopefully Gray will use this ability at some point (they did say they will free up Ayers more this year to pass rush...fingers crossed). Not the best break down, wrap up tackler and doesn't seem to take the best angles (instincts?).

His Sr. Stats of 105 tackles, 13.5 TFL, 5.5 sacks, 4 PBU, and 3 INT's shows his versatility. I get the feeling that overall he is not top notch at anything (except speed), but has no glaring deficiencies. Can add more versatility to Gray's D, but may have a specific role planned for now from Gray's comments.

3. Mike Martin - A
Need meet for sure. I underrated this guy by others ratings and wanting a DT sooner until I watched him more a 2nd time and read some more. To me, he is a very good mix of NT and 1 gap or 3 technique guy. He can hold up against doubles and even break them. He can penetrate with good quickness and shows some lateral agility. 1 on 1 he can ragdoll o-lineman (wrestling probably playing a huge role here). Size is an issue but really doesn't really concern me too much. He will get leverage advantage. He's going to fight every play and be a constant PITA like KVB. No matter how they line him up (he even did some DE), I think he will play his role very well.

4. Coty Sensabaugh - C
Didn't find much film, so this is hard to give much of an opinion on. Physically, he seems solid. Decent size and very good measurables. Obviously fits a need. They say he can play inside or out. Had 13 PBU this year, but not many INT's over his career. Many places had him ranked late round. Very interested to see him in preseason.

5. Taylor Thompson - D+
1st off I don't like giving up a pick to reach for this guy. We've had some late round gems, so you really have to think before possibly throwing those picks away. 2nd, they say he'll start out at TE but could play DE if needed. Well I like that possible versatility (reminds me of a TE the Bears took a few years ago that I liked who was from Michigan State I think), but he hasn't played TE since HS.

The defensive tape I saw was ok. He is a long strider, not quick twitch, not good change of direction. I can see how he may actually fit better at TE. He's been compared to the Patriots Gronkowski, and physically they are very similar...but Gronkowski had a good college career at TE. Taylor should have the tools to be able to block. He reportedly lost 20 lb's to train as a TE. He may bulk back up a bit. I definitely wanted a 3rd TE who was a solid mix of blocking and receiving, and this guy looks to have the tools...but plenty of guys look to have the tools, but can't actually produce on the field...and we've drafted our fair share of those types before.

6. Markelle Martin - B+
I'm guessing the knee did set him back a few rounds. Physically, he seems to be able to do everything you ask from a modern S. He's not Dallas's Roy Williams in the box, but he does a solid job in the box and doesn't appear to be afraid of contact. Can lay the big hit on a receiver. Very smooth in coverage and fast to the ball. Had the most PBU's of any top S this year. Can be fooled by play action and can be over aggressive leading to open receivers. Should be able to help on ST's right away, and I think he has starter potential in the future.

7. Scott Solomon - B
Had to give up next year's 6th, but probably worth it. Another guy who can be a PITA like Mike Martin, and fits a need. High college production, decent size, high motor. 4.8-5.0 40 sounds bad, but I read he had a 1.62 10 yard. That's very good and much more important to a DE than the 40. Of course that lack of a 2nd gear will hurt him on some occasions. His 3 cone, vertical, bench press, and shuttle tests were all good to very good. He'll use his burst and quickness to get upfield. He has excellent weight room strength like Mike Martin, and it seems to transfer to the field pretty well. He also played some DT.

I'll give the Titans a B-
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:04 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jth1331 View Post
You'll love this one then.

Round 2: Peter Konz, OG/C Wisconsin

Grade: B+

Notes: Solid pick, can't complain too much with a late first-early 2nd round value late two. There were much better picks to be made, but provided he stays healthy (a major if) he should be a staple on the line for the next 8-10 years.

Round 3: Lamar Holmes, OT, Ole Miss

Grade: D-

Notes: Thomas Dimitroff apparently felt as if it was a good idea to draft a body late three. He's big, has long arms, and has some flexibility. Unfortunately, he has limited range in his drop, feet that stop on contact, issues with run blocking, and issues with watching plays pass him by. Most people barely gave him a draftable grade.

Round 5: FB Bradie Ewing

Grade: D-

Notes: Decent fullback who has no change of direction skills and is a mediocre athlete. Considering we are supposed to be moving to a more vertical based offense, already have a great FB on the roster/could have singed a FB in free agency, or picked up a UDFA, we did awful here, considering our other needs.

Round 5: Jonathan Massaquoi, DE, Troy

Notes: Long arms and a good (albeit inconsistent) first step, but he has lack of flexibility (possibly because he put on too much weight SR. year).

Round 6: Charles Mitchell, S, Mississippi State
Grade: B

Notes: Very impressive against the run, average against the pass with limited play making ability. Should be solid depth/special teams guy.

Round 7: Travian Robertson, DT, South Carolina

Grade: D

Notes: Decent hands and a solid first step + motor. Offers nothing as a pass rusher, ends up on the ground too much as a run defender.

Overall: D/D+