Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-30-2012, 06:27 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good draft. A.J. did enough in free agency to fill needs so he could be more flexible with the draftees. A killer safety would have been nice, but the value was way off at the top, and '13 is a much deeper class of safeties. Going forward there is a nice deep pool of young defensive talent in the front seven in both the 3 and 4 man fronts.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BROWNS

Trent Richardson RB 5'9" 228 Alabama
Brandon Weeden QB 6'4" 221 Oklahoma St.
Mitchell Schwartz T 6'5" 318 California
John Hughes DT 6'2" 309 Cincinnati
Travis Benjamin WR 5'10" 172 Miami
James-Michael Johnson ILB 6'1" 241 Nevada
Ryan Miller G 6'7" 321 Colorado
Emmanuel Acho OLB 6'1" 238 Texas
Billy Winn DT 6'4" 294 Boise St.
Trevin Wade CB 5'10" 192 Arizona
Brad Smelley TE 6'2" 237 Alabama

1. Jim Brown calls Trent "ordinary", comparing him to Emmitt Smith. It's no secret Brown has never been a huge fan of Smith. When the greatest RBs of all time discussion comes up he bristles at the notion of Smith being at the top. To him, guys like Barry Sanders and Peterson have the greatest skill sets and are unique game changers. In today's pass first, QB driven league, he's making a point that a back like Richardson is not worth the 3rd-4th pick. Definitely get the sense he would have preferred trading up for RG3.

It's a fair point but the Browns needed a starting RB at some point in the draft. I don't like Trent's elusiveness behind the los or ability to make the first man miss , but his burst, open field running, overall speed and pile push are great. Also Minn didn't play us-Tampa was ready to move up for less is we didn't.

2. Of the next QBs after Tannehill, I think Osweiler has much more upside than Weeden. He probably should have been the choice in the 2nd but with it being the 3rd year of this front office they apparently felt the pressure to get an immediate franchise QB rather than go with a guy that needed development. Problem is, it's a huge assumption that his age makes Weeden a plug and play rookie QB. If he doesn't hit the ground running its basically a disaster for this front office.

3. Since senior week I've been saying Schwartz was the best pure RT in the draft. Massie was a late riser but apparently had some flaw that most of us weren't aware of. Schwartz is the starter right now.

4-7. Biggest issue with the rest of the Browns' draft is their stubborn confidence in the current WR corps. When McCoy struggled, they hinted that he wasn't getting much help-now that Weeden's drafted they're saying Colt held this group back. ...yeah. They're essentially standing pat at this position because Travis Benjamin, he of the ugliest combine gauntlet in awhile, is not likely to make an impact this season. Our FO passed Chris Givens for him so I'll be bitterly tracking the Rams rookie this season.

Hughes is a complete unknown and I'm not going to pretend I know anything about him. But, for this FO sake, he better be better than Brandon Thompson and Alameda Ta'Amu, each going to division opponents.

JMJ might start at SLB. Probably fills in while Fujita serves suspension and might compete to stay. Ryan Miller-hit or miss, probably a practice squad guy. Acho backs up all three spots. Winn fills a need for an inside rusher. Wade might stick and Smelly will end up a great value.

And sooo.... Potential franchise QB but he'll be thrown into the fire because of his age without any help at WR. Potential pro bowl caliber RB but he probably gets overused playing behind a rookie QB in a defense heavy division. Picked up a starting RT and maby a starting SLB. Everything hinges on the first round picks, though. At best, Richardson is dominant and Weeden steps in and looks markedly better than Colt. Even so, if the record puts us again in the top 10, I don't think they'll hesitate to draft a QB. Weeden might be an improvement for this year but unless he looks like a future all pro, at his age, they'd be justified taking a high upside potential star QB to groom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*

Last edited by Brown Leader : 04-30-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like the giants draft if our OL holds up. Baas having an offseason to settle in and being healthy will settle down the interior OL and hopefully someone steps up opposite Diehl.

Pick: David Wilson, RB
Thoughts: Wilson is a very interesting pick for the giants. RB wasn't a huge need as Bradshaw is still a very good runner and the team is very high on Da'Rell Scott. Wilson has obvious issues with his ball security and patience as a runner which pushed him down some peoples boards. Not the giants. Jerry Reese has come out as saying that Wilson was our clear cut #2 RB in this draft and it makes sense why. The giants coaching staff does an excellent job teaching runners how to protect the ball and other subtleties of the professional level. Wilson gives the giants dynamic burst, great balance and toughness and excellent hands to give the giants the pass catching RB they haven't had since Tiki Barber retired. With Bradshaw to carry the load and Da'Rell Scott to be the powerful North/South runner Wilson not just fits what the Giants like in their runners, but is a great compliment to the guys they already have and should get plenty of opportunities to make big plays. Granted if the giants OL is as crappy as it was last season that won't matter.
Summary: Good value and great fit.

Pick: Reuben Randle, WR
Thoughts: I'm going to start off by saying that I did not like Reuben Randle coming into this draft. I think he can be a good starter, but I don't see him being a threat down the field in the NFL and I'd read some things that made me wonder about his mental makeup. That said he impressed our staff and scouts with his ability to read the field and understand the nuances of route running and coverages, which should make him better prepared to digest our passing game quicker and potentially even provide an impact this season if Barden gets hurt again. I'm iffy on it but in the second round I don't mind the risk and the value seems right.
Summary: Good value, good fit, now lets see if he puts it all together.

Pick: Jayron Hosley, CB
Thoughts: Hosley's undersized, but has long arms, great ball skills, and fiestiness. While he's undersized he's not a bad tackler and should fit in very well as the Nickel. With Webster, Amukamara, Thomas and a slew of solid depth guys Hosley will have a lot of competition for time, but I love this kid and think he'll excel, even as a rookie, and let us be creative with TT and play him at Safety as well as corner.
Summary: Love it, wonderful talent at this point in the draft and a good fit as you can never have too many good corners.

Pick: Adrien Robinson, TE
Thoughts: Super raw, super athletic hard worker for Pope to go to work on. No one in the NFL teaches TEs to block as well as Pope does and if Robinson can become a good blocker and comprehend our passing attack he could give us the dynamic weapon we once hoped Beckum would become.
Summary: Nice project at a position we develop well, I think he follows the footsteps of Shockey and Boss and learns to block to go with his athletic ability and ball skills.

Pick: Brandon Mosley, OT/OG
Thoughts: Typical giants late round developmental OL with good athletic ability and size but no technique. Keep stick these raw guys into the pipeline and see what takes shape. At this point in the draft I'm on board.

Pick: Matt McCants, OT
Thoughts: see Mosley, but rawer with better size, length and feet.

Pick: Markus Kuhn, DT
Thoughts: I really hope he makes it, kid's not only german, which makes him automatically awesome, but has good athleticism for his size, 6'4" 299. Only started to football at 15 and is super raw, but if you've got the tools and the work ethic this team can teach DL how to beast.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Uhhh Gresham is a vertical weapon, Dunlap has beasted the past 2 seasons and Atkins is a stud along the defensive line. That's a great draft class.
Gresham I will give you with the stipulation that he's a 1st round pick, so he's supposed tobe very good. Dunlop had a good rookie season. Shipley has his moments. Its a very solid class, just not one for rave reviews.

That would be this one

1.27 DB Devin McCourty Rutgers
2.10 TE Rob Gronkowski Arizona
2.21 LB Jermaine Cunningham Florida
2.30 LB Brandon Spikes Florida
3.26 WR Taylor Price Ohio
4.15 TE Aaron Hernandez Florida
5.19 P Zoltan Mesko Michigan
6.36 OL Ted Larsen North Carolina State
7.01 OL Thomas Welch Vanderbilt
7.40 DL Brandon Deaderick Alabama
7.41 DL Kade Weston Georgia
7.43 QB Zac Robinson Oklahoma State

Would you rather have Gresham or Hernandez?
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
The problem is that the Bengals draft of 2010 is not looking as good now.

1.21 TE Jermaine Gresham Oklahoma
2.22 DL Carlos Dunlap Florida
3.20 WR Jordan Shipley Texas
3.32 DB Brandon Ghee Wake Forest
4.22 DL Geno Atkins Georgia
4.33 LB Roddrick Muckelroy Texas
5.21 OL Otis Hudson Eastern Illinois
6.22 WR Dezmon Briscoe Kansas
7.21 OG Reggie Stephens Iowa State

Geno Atkins has been a find, but who else on this list has exceeded expectations? How many could you trade for the same pick?

J
If you hit on your first 3 picks and get a stuck with a 4th rounder, you had a damn good draft.

They got an explosive TE, a very talented DE, a good complimentary receiver and an absolute monster UT. That's a great draft.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:10 PM    (permalink
twiz
Veteran

twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
6:36 - LaVon Brazill - WR - Ohio

Need: OMG more offense, really?
Value: A comp. 6th selection can't really be bad value
Grade: F
I Would've Picked: CB Alfonzo Dennard, DE Cam Johnson, LB Audie Cole, SS Antonio Allen
Analysis: I know nothing about this guy but we already took a QB, 2 TEs, a RB and now a 2nd WR? When a 2nd round CB talent was still on the board? Come on. Wasted pick.
Not even close. Brazill has better upside than most know. He's willing to go get the ball in any sort of traffic, has good speed, and good hands. Really, the only reason I can think of that he didn't go higher is because of his competition. Well, that and his QB's year in and year out were atrocious. Even with teams stacking the box and the QB in the pistol, no matter who was throwing the ball, they constantly made poor reads, from Boo Jackson to Phil Bates. Brazill was a great pick by the Colts, he'll contribute at least on special teams to start. Watch out for him in the slot, and he'll probably get looks outside the numbers too.

I think you're also underrating Hilton.

Last edited by twiz : 05-01-2012 at 03:59 PM.
twiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:44 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
The problem is that the Bengals draft of 2010 is not looking as good now.

1.21 TE Jermaine Gresham Oklahoma
2.22 DL Carlos Dunlap Florida
3.20 WR Jordan Shipley Texas
3.32 DB Brandon Ghee Wake Forest
4.22 DL Geno Atkins Georgia
4.33 LB Roddrick Muckelroy Texas
5.21 OL Otis Hudson Eastern Illinois
6.22 WR Dezmon Briscoe Kansas
7.21 OG Reggie Stephens Iowa State

Geno Atkins has been a find, but who else on this list has exceeded expectations? How many could you trade for the same pick?

J
Gresh has been pretty damn good and I expect a big year from him this year. Dunlap has been one of the better pass rushers in the league when healthy. Brandon Ghee I'll give you he's rarely seen the field but he also missed his first year entirely and he definitely has plenty of upside. Geno is an absolute beast while Muck has been good in the limited PT he's seen due to injury. He'll be a core special teamer and he might even push Luga out of his spot if he continues to blow it. The team is apparently pretty fond of Otis Hudson which is why he's still around and he could compete for a starting job in the future. Briscoe was robbed off our practice squad and has done some good things with the Bucs and Reggie Stephens I have no clue.

All in all I'd say thats a pretty good draft. We've drafted more Pro Bowlers over the past two seasons than anyone else and that includes two from the 2010 draft as well. Gresh has had to learn 3 offenses in three years and he has turned into a hell of a blocker who is also a matchup nightmare for defenses in the passing game. Hasn't quite gotten the numbers we mightve expected thus far but don't let that fool you, he's one of the best young TEs out there and I wasn't even clamoring over that pick in the beginning.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Last edited by themaninblack : 05-01-2012 at 01:47 AM.
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:46 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a big fan of Dez, so thanks guys! Although he was the only player missing from voluntary mini-camp the other week so I doubt he is in Schiano's good books.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:07 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiz View Post
Not even close. Brazill has better upside than most know. He's willing to go get the ball in any sort of traffic, has good speed, and good hands. Really, the only reason I can think of that he didn't go higher is because of his competition. Well, that and his QB's year in and year out were atrocious. Even with teams stacking the box and the QB in the pistol, no matter who was throwing the ball, they constantly made poor reads, from Boo Jackson to Phil Bates. Brazill was a great pick by the Pats, he'll contribute at least on special teams to start. Watch out for him in the slot, and he'll probably get looks outside the numbers too.

I think you're also underrating Hilton.
You mean the Colts?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:58 PM    (permalink
twiz
Veteran

twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.twiz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAChainGang View Post
You mean the Colts?
Yeah my bad, was thinking about Taylor Price at that point.
twiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:18 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I posted this in the Vikings thread earlier today, my Vikings review:

So, here it is, as I promised earlier on this page, my draft review. It's long (over 2,400 words), but I hope you take the time to read it, or at least skim through it.

1.4) Matt Kalil OT USC, Scott’s ranking: #1 OT, #3 overall – It had to be this pick. The team had put out as many smokescreens as humanly possible leading up to the draft, and it got the Browns to bite and trade up. Spielman was made out to look like a genius after all of his work came to fruition. He was able to move down one spot, which assured he would get his guy no matter who it was, and then got 3 picks which allowed him to move up for Smith and add a 4th and 6th next year. I’m a huge fan of Kalil and had him as my #2 prospect in the draft. I think he can step in day one and play at a high level, and within a couple years he can be an All Pro caliber LT for a long time and can protect the QBs blindside for the next dozen years. I liked him more than Jake Long coming out, but a notch below Joe Thomas, which isn’t a slight in the least.

1.29) Harrison Smith S Notre Dame, Scott’s ranking: #2 S, #41 overall – I’m not as big of a fan of this pick, but I still like it. I liked Smith, but more of in the mid 2nd range than the end of the first, but after adding those picks from the Browns, we could easily afford to give up our 4th in order to move up and assure ourselves of a day one starter at S, of which there were only 2 in this draft. I think Smith will be a solid to above average starter at S for us. He’s not a great athlete, but he’s smart, instinctive, and he takes good angles, which is something that our S have been lacking since the year before Sharper left. I’d have preferred a couple other guys still on the board, but safety was a huge need for us and he can step in and play for us day one and be a huge upgrade over what we had. He also adds some flexibility in that he can play both SS and FS.

3.66) Josh Robinson CB Central Florida, Scott’s ranking: #6 CB, #54 overall – Robinson was a good value in the 3rd and he fills another huge need. Our depth at CB last year was nonexistent after Cook got in legal trouble. Now with Cook back, Winfield healthy – at least for now – and the additions of Bowman and Carr on short term contracts in free agency, along with the addition of Robinson, hopefully we’ve got that fixed. Robinson is a good zone corner, who has the talents to develop into a man corner. He also has great instincts, as evidenced by his 10 INTs and 36 PBU in 3 years in college. Robinson’s not afraid to get involved in run support and make a tackle. He also adds special teams value in that he can return both punts and kicks, and would likely be a good gunner on punts and kicks with his speed. I think he can be a good ST to start while battling Bowman and Carr for the nickel job initially, and should eventually take over for Winfield.

4.118) Jarius Wright WR Arkansas, Scott’s ranking: #18 WR, #123 overall – This is about the range I thought Wright would go, somewhere mid 4th to mid 5th. I’m a big fan of Wright, and think he can be a good slot receiver, but his role with us is a bit questionable with Harvin at his best in the slot. I don’t think Wright is good enough versus the jam, and lacks the size to play on the outside consistently. He does offer good return ability and just an all-around play making ability that we need though. He also adds a playmaker and depth in the slot should Harvin continue to battle migraines and nagging injuries like he has in the past. Wright offers good return abilities as well, although he didn’t do much of returning in college, with Joe Adams handling most of those duties. He was the most productive of a very talented Arkansas WR group his senior season. I think he’ll play a situational role offensively while adding special teams value initially, and can hopefully carve out a bigger role in our offense over time, although I see that as slightly questionable with Harvin playing a similar role, just more effectively.

4.128) Rhett Ellison TE/FB/H-Back USC, Scott’s ranking: #8 TE, #157 overall – At first, this pick really surprised me. I figured that after the signing of Carlson to a big contract that we’d only use a later round pick on a TE, if at all, and then we also signed Jerome Felton this offseason, so I didn’t think we’d take a FB at all. The more I thought about it though, the more the pick grew on me. Neither Rudolph or Carlson offers a whole lot in the blocking game, and with Kleinssaser retiring, we definitely will need someone to take over his blocking role. Another way you could look at it is signing Carlson was to replace Shiancoe and drafting Ellison was to replace Kleinsasser. I hadn’t focused on Ellison much, but from what I know is that he’s a very good blocker, but won’t offer much receiving wise, but the Vikings don’t really need that with Rudolph and Carlson. I would assume Ellison would be used situationally offensively, and play quite a bit on special teams early on, and then develop into the Kleinsasser role as the blocking TE and FB. I still think this was a bit early to address a lesser need and Ellison was projected more of as a 6th rounder, but the value really wasn’t there at MLB or DT, and we would address the WR position again a handful of picks later, without a WR going in between the picks.

4.134) Greg Childs WR Arkansas, Scott’s ranking: #33 WR, #228 overall – I’m a fan of Childs, and really liked this pick. After his sophomore season at Arkansas, it looked like he would be a late first to 2nd round pick with a good junior season, but then he proceeded to have a nasty knee injury, in which he completely tore his patellar tendon, which straightens the knee. It reportedly takes a year and a half to fully recover from this injury, which Childs suffered in October 2010. Childs played his senior season while far from completely healthy and it showed. He showed up to the combine healthy and his pro day even better. At his pro day, he ran a 4.39 40, and had an impressive 40 ” vertical, after putting up respectable 4.55 official 40 and a 36 ” vertical at the combine. I thought Childs would likely go in the 5th after he showed he was healthy this offseason, so taking him at the end of the 4th was appropriate value. Childs has all the abilities to develop into a very good #2 WR as long as he’s healthy. He’s got very good size at 6’3” 219 is a good route runner, and has the speed to get down the field and can win just about any jump ball with his size, long arms(34 1/8”, which were the 3rd longest of all WR at the combine), and his leaping ability. I would expect Childs to play a limited role his rookie season as he offers little special teams value, isn’t a fit in the slot, and Jenkins, Aromashodu, and once he returns from his suspension, Jerome Simpson ahead of him on the depth chart on the outside at receiver.

5.139) Robert Blanton DB Notre Dame, Scott’s ranking: #24 CB, #176 overall – I knew very little about Blanton before the draft, and didn’t see him as a fifth rounder, but after doing research, I can see why the team selected him here. Blanton played CB in college, but with his speed, or lack thereof (4.70 40 at the combine), he looks more like a S. Blanton’s got good size for either CB or S at 6’1” 208, and has better quickness than long speed, as evidenced by his good 3 cone time (6.71, tied for 5th among DB at the combine) and short shuttle (3.97, tied for 3rd among DB at the combine). It sounds like the Vikings will try Blanton at S first, which sounds like a better fit for him as his poor long speed can be protected better. Blanton’s a good, sure tackler, and looks like he should carry some added special teams value. I would guess Blanton is a reserve S, behind Smith, Sanford, and Raymond. It sounds like Blanton would be a good matchup against the bigger TE that teams are using split out wide, where they’re too big for CB and too quick for LB, as he’s got good press man skills, but lacks the speed to stay with receivers. The upside here is a starting S, but if I had to guess, I would say he doesn’t reach that and ends up as a backup who can play both S and CB and adds some value against teams that flank out a TE.

6.175) Blair Walsh K Georgia, Scott’s ranking: #1 K, not on top 253 – I was definitely surprised we took a kicker after resigning Longwell this offseason. Walsh has a strong leg, and is the best kickoff specialist in this draft class. He struggled mightily with accuracy his senior season, only making 21/35 field goal attempts, but had went 20/22 and 20/23 his sophomore and junior seasons. My guess is that Walsh is the kickoff specialist to begin his career if he makes the team, and then once Longwell is done, he’ll take over as the field goal kicker. Longwell has struggled with kickoffs in the past, and it would be nice to have someone who can rack up touchbacks regularly, but I’m not so sure about us keeping 2 kickers around.

7.210) Audie Cole LB North Carolina State, Scott’s ranking: #13 OLB, #134 overall – I thought Cole was a great value in the 7th as I thought he would go somewhere in the 5th. His fit with us is a bit odd though, as with his lack of athleticism made him a better fit inside in the 3-4 in my opinion, but at that point in the draft fit kind of goes out the window and you try and find someone who can make plays, and there are plenty of people who think he can play both MLB and SLB in the 4-3. He did everything well in college: was a sure tackler, could drop into zone coverage, and could match up in short areas in man coverage, did ok shedding blocks, and showed good range and pursuit in run support. The only thing he lacks is athleticism, and that will limit him in his potential upside. To me, he profiles more of as a 2 down linebacker if he ever makes it as a starter, but he looks like he could be a great backup at both Mike and Sam and could probably even play some Will in a pinch. As a rookie, I would expect him to backup Brinkley in the middle and provide depth, which the team severely lacks at LB. I love the value at this point, but keep in mind that he has limited upside.

7.218) Trevor Guyton DL California, Scott’s ranking: #11 DE, #104 overall – This was another great value pick in the 7th round. Guyton was projected somewhere around the 5th. I saw places that had him as early as a late 3rd rounder to late 5th, so getting him in the 7th was a steal. Guyton, like Cole, also is a bit of a questionable fit, even more so than Cole. Guyton was viewed as most as a 3-4 DE. Again though, he’s just a good football player and adds versatility to our DL where depth was needed, especially at tackle, but also at end. I would expect Guyton to play end in a run stopping role as a rookie, where he’s very stout and anchors well. He offers a good bull rush, but lacks other pass rushing moves, and will never be much of a pass rusher. He also can kick inside to tackle in pass rushing situations. Guyton had a poor combine, running a 5.07 official 40, which probably played a big hand in knocking him down draft boards. He also offers future value with his versatility in that many have been calling for the team to move to the 3-4, and while I don’t like the move, I feel that if Frazier is fired it could be an option, and Guyton would give them another piece to that transition if it were to happen.

Overall: I thought the Vikings had a very good draft. They filled every hole at some point in the draft, and the biggest ones multiple times, without making much for reaches. Every pick was at least appropriate value, with really only Ellison going more than a half round over his projected spot. I would expect Kalil and Smith to start from day one, and the rest of them should see the field at least at some point, with guys like Robinson, Wright, Ellison, and Childs all could see time in a rotation. For the Vikings though, it’s not about the immediate, but about the long term, and that is where this draft lacks a little. Kalil is the only player that I see that could develop into a star in the NFL. However, several other players could be good starters, and a few others should be at least rotational players. Spielman came into the draft with a mess on his hands, and while he didn’t fix it all in one year, there was no way this team was going to be turned around in one offseason, especially one with a lackluster free agency. Spielman did hit on all the needs, though, and was able to do so with good value. Through some slick maneuvering, Spielman was able to acquire enough picks to allow him to fill all the necessary holes, as well as trade for some future picks, adding a 4th and 6th next year. A lot of people were questioning Spielman coming into the draft, but he did a hell of a job with stage one of a long rebuilding process, and hopefully was able to shorten that process.

Grade: B+

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:10 PM    (permalink
SF Dolphin Fan
Rookie

SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SF Dolphin Fan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Miami Dolphins

1. Ryan Tannehill QB
2. Jonathan Martin RT
3. Olivier Vernon DE
3. Michael Egnew TE
4. Lamar Miller RB
5. Josh Kaddu LB
6. BJ Cunningham WR
7. Keeston Randle DT
7. Rishard Matthews WR

I've got to hand it to Miami GM Jeff Ireland. He took a lot of heat this offseason for not signing Peyton Manning or Matt Flynn. But for an organization that is clearly rebuilding neither of those guys made sense - Manning because he has only a few years left and Flynn because he probably isn't a significant upgrade from Matt Moore. Ryan Tannehill was absolutely the right pick for the Dolphins. With a new coaching staff that knows how to develop quarterbacks and no expectations to start right away, Tannehill should be able to hone his skills for 2013. His floor is Tony Romo and his ceiling is Aaron Rogers IMO. Tannehill probably falls somewhere in between those two.

It clearly was a surprise to see Jonathan Martin available at pick 42. He should start immediately at RT and provide an instant upgrade over Marc Columbo, who struggled badly last year. Martin is pretty solid all-around, with long arms, quick feet and the smarts this coaching staff likes. He could quickly emerge as one of the top RT in the league.

Third round pick Olivier Vernon is a boom or bust with the quickness and initial burst to factor in as a pass rusher opposite Cameron Wake. I might have traded up here for Vinny Curry, but it will definitely be interesting to see how Vernon comes along. Fellow third rounder Michael Egnew should quickly emerge as one of the more productive players from this draft. With his size and speed he will give Miami a seam stretcher and red zone threat the team so desperately needs. Opportunities will be there for Egnew as the tight end position is so important in a Joe Philibin offense.

Courtney Upshaw was probaby the biggest steal in the entire draft falling to Baltimore in Round 2. Lamar Miller may have been the next biggest steal and I love that the Dolphins traded up to get him in Round 4. Miller has explosive talent and the ability to score every time he touches the football. Initially he probably factors more in the return game, but the coaching staff will probably find creative ways to get him and Reggie Bush on the field at the same time.

Fifth rounder Josh Kaddu has pass rushing ability and quickness to help out on third downs, but figures more as a core special teams guy. BJ Cunningham (6th round) and Rishard Matthews (7th round) are similar prospects -- good hands, competitive speed, good route runners. One or both could stick as young players will be given chances at a wide open receiver battle in Miami. Keeston Randle, also a 7th rounder, seems destined for the practice squad. He is a two down run stuffer.

Overall, I'd say Miami's draft grade is a B+, but could easily become an A if Tannehill comes close to, or reaches, franchise quarterback status.
SF Dolphin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:46 AM    (permalink
bengalbuck
Rookie

bengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairbengalbuck is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
Gresh has been pretty damn good and I expect a big year from him this year. Dunlap has been one of the better pass rushers in the league when healthy. Brandon Ghee I'll give you he's rarely seen the field but he also missed his first year entirely and he definitely has plenty of upside. Geno is an absolute beast while Muck has been good in the limited PT he's seen due to injury. He'll be a core special teamer and he might even push Luga out of his spot if he continues to blow it. The team is apparently pretty fond of Otis Hudson which is why he's still around and he could compete for a starting job in the future. Briscoe was robbed off our practice squad and has done some good things with the Bucs and Reggie Stephens I have no clue.

All in all I'd say thats a pretty good draft. We've drafted more Pro Bowlers over the past two seasons than anyone else and that includes two from the 2010 draft as well. Gresh has had to learn 3 offenses in three years and he has turned into a hell of a blocker who is also a matchup nightmare for defenses in the passing game. Hasn't quite gotten the numbers we mightve expected thus far but don't let that fool you, he's one of the best young TEs out there and I wasn't even clamoring over that pick in the beginning.
I almost can't believe that guy's comments about that draft. If we re-held that draft today, 3 Bengals would be in the 1st round.

Two of the picks have already made the Pro Bowl (Atkins and Gresham), with Atkins leading all DTs in sacks. One other (Dunlap) had 9.5 sacks as a rookie and was rated as the #1 pass rusher in the entire NFL at the midpoint of last season (prior to an injury) by profootballfocus.

That's pretty much the definition of a great draft.

Plus, three of the other guys have struggled through injuries but are still on the roster and still have a chance to be key contributors (Jordan Shipley, Brandon Ghee and Rod Muckelroy).
bengalbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:34 AM    (permalink
wadsworth
Rookie

wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jaguars:

Round 1 (also round 4): Blackmon is a very good prospect in a position of need but investing the #7 and an early 4th round pick is more value than I can justify spending on a non-prototype WR prospect. Grade = C-

Round 2: Branch is not a bad pick(I had Curry rated higher) and also in a position of need but at best his value is equal to the draft position, which means average. Grade = C

Round 3: I actually think that if you stretch it you can make a case that Bryan Anger was worth this draft position. Normally I would give this pick a C- but I love the guts displayed by the Jags on this one. Grade = C+

Round 5: Like the prospect(Marshall) but think the 5th was slightly early. Grade = C

Round 6: Harris is good but not great value at this point in the draft. Grade = B-

Round 7: Pendleton, 7th round picks are usually all but meaningless, kudos to the staff for selecting a strong height/weight/speed prospect with a great story and upside. Grade = B

Overall, weighing the early rounds much more than the later rounds I give the entire draft a C grade.
wadsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:39 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did you seriously rate the Anger pick better than the Blackmon pick? Are you ******* nuts?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:42 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I posted this on a website I write for:

Saints

3rd (89) – Akiem Hicks, DT, Regina (Canada)
To start the draft off the Saints went north of the border to select an extremely raw defensive tackle that was kicked off of LSU's team for violating team policies (hitching a ride with a coach from the airport). There's a lot to like about Hicks as the potential is there for him to be an effective role player in the NFL but he has several areas of his game that he needs to address (hand placement, getting too upright in his stance) before he can become deserving of his draft value. Hicks was considered a late mid-round pick at best and rarely, if ever, was placed in the 3rd round of many of the draft experts mock drafts. It's extremely poor value especially considering that several defensive tackles that were experienced playing against tougher competition than Hicks.

Grade: D

My pick: TE LaDarius Green, UL-Lafayette
Due to their pressing need for a back-up tight end and the league about to become infatuated with two tight-end sets because of the success the New England Patriots had running theirs, the Saints would have been greatly served by drafting someone to complement Jimmy Graham. That player would have been LaDarius Green. Green has strong hands, a willingness to develop his game further, is a huge red-zone target, and he and Graham together would have given opposing defenses fits.

4th (122) – Nick Toon, WR, Wisconsin
Toon represents the best value the Saints received out of any of their picks. A prototypical possession receiver that complements Marques Colston extremely, Toon can do everything you expect a #2 receiver to do. He can pluck the ball out of the air, run clean routes and get open on a consistent basis but isn't going to wow with his acceleration or break-away speed. The Saints needed a replacement to Meachem and while Toon does not possess Meachem's athleticism he does own better ball skills and route running.

Grade: B

My pick: DT/DE Jared Crick, Nebraska
It's hard to knock the need for a replacement to Meachem but depth at defensive tackle was severely lacking. Crick is the type of player that would have excelled in Spagnuolo's scheme with his versatility and ability to line up at multiple places along the defensive line. His production in college was impressive just like his motor and relentlessness, not to mention that selecting Crick here would have presented excellent value.

5th (162) – Corey White, CB, Samford
The Saints may know something no one else does about this pick but when a college prospect isn't on most draft experts Top 300 lists it leads you to ask “what were they thinking?!” White is a fearless and borderline overly confident strong safety that failed to dominate his level of competition. He does not possess the speed needed to keep up with NFL tight ends but does tremendous run support abilities. White's scouting report reads almost exactly like that of a poor man's Roman Harper's which won't inspire much confidence in Saints fans.

My pick: Marvin Jones, WR, California
A big, tall receiver that made a name for himself at the Senior Bowl, Jones possesses all the skills to be a very effective #2 wide receiver. He lacks breakaway speed but he rarely drops passes, has above-average run after the catch ability, and would be a nice #2 receiver that seems more developed as a receiver than Toon is.

6th (179) – Andrew Tiller, Guard, Syracuse
The Doug Marrone connection was likely in effect with this pick but it was still another one that left most draft analysts scratching their heads. Tiller plays very upright and is heavy-legged with inconsistent technique. He also struggled with the offensive lineman drills at the combine. That being said, he possess prototypical size for an NFL guard and is a nasty, aggressive run blocker.

My pick: Brandon Washington, OG, Miami

Like Tiller, Washington has prototypical size for an NFL guard but has a more sophisticated game with greater strength. As a top 10 guard prospect on most NFL draft experts boards, Washington represented plenty value as many are lauding the Philadelphia Eagles for their selection of him in the 6th.

7th (234) – Marcel Jones, Tackle, Nebraska
It's hard to knock a 7th round draft pick as most turn out to be special teamer's at best, although some can pan out into effective starters (Marques Colston). It's also hard to knock the Saints for drafting the prospect with the best hair in the draft. This guy's afro would have won awards in the 1970s. That aside, Jones has the prototypical size and athleticism but struggles in pass protection and struggles with the fundamentals of line blocking. With the right coaching Jones can develop in a capable backup which bodes well for the Saints as Aaron Kromer is one hell of an offensive line coach.

Grade: C

My pick: Cam Johnson, DE, Virginia

While the Jones pick isn't bad, Johnson represented far greater value. Johnson has developed in each of his season with the Cavaliers and while he's not a sack artist, he has the tools that are there to be an above-average starting defensive end. Most draft experts wouldn't have thought twice about a Johnson selection in the 3rd round much less the 7th. His fall was due mostly to him being diagnosed with the sickle-cell trait.

Saints overall draft grade: D

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:57 AM    (permalink
wadsworth
Rookie

wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wadsworth is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Did you seriously rate the Anger pick better than the Blackmon pick? Are you ******* nuts?
The answer to the first is obviously yes, you just read it.

The answer to the second is I do not think so, but if I was nuts I likely would not know it. :)

Blackmon is obviously a better prospect but I think he is a reach at the #5 so I downgraded the pick.

The whole Bryan Anger in the third freak out is odd. A punter goes in the third round or sooner in about 1/3 of drafts. It is not a crazy occurrence. I think Anger is a rare prospect at punter worthy of a rare grade.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:03 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadsworth View Post
The answer to the first is obviously yes, you just read it.

The answer to the second is I do not think so, but if I was nuts I likely would not know it. :)

Blackmon is obviously a better prospect but I think he is a reach at the #5 so I downgraded the pick.

The whole Bryan Anger in the third freak out is odd. A punter goes in the third round or sooner in about 1/3 of drafts. It is not a crazy occurrence. I think Anger is a rare prospect at punter worthy of a rare grade.
I'm pretty sure the last Punter to go in the third was BJ Sander, and he was a disaster. Plus, Blackmon is exactly what Gabbert (or whoever they make the QB) needs to develop and is going to be a very solid number 1 for them. Plus, a fourth rounder to get their target is nothing compared to other trades.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:11 AM    (permalink
wadsworth
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I'm pretty sure the last Punter to go in the third was BJ Sander, and he was a disaster. Plus, Blackmon is exactly what Gabbert (or whoever they make the QB) needs to develop and is going to be a very solid number 1 for them. Plus, a fourth rounder to get their target is nothing compared to other trades.
Dustin Colquitt was the most recent to go in the third in 2005, Sanders was 2004.

I am not unhappy with adding Blackmon to the team, in fact I have high hopes. But in the draft I put a high premium on value and I do not think his value was the #5 pick. Just to clarify, I consider a "C" grade an average pick which would mean getting a guy where his value says he should be drafted.

Edit to add:

Some people are sleeping on Bryan Anger. Rob Rang among others had a 3rd-4th round grade on him. Daniel Jeremiah said:

-"You can argue about the decision to take a punter that early but Anger was the best punter I've ever evaluated."

...and added:

-On Jax selecting Anger in the 3rd rd… had personnel man text me "in 3 yrs, he will prove to be 1 of 5 best players in that rd"

A lot of people freaked out over the pick, but it really should not have been that much of a surprise.

Last edited by wadsworth : 05-05-2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Added info on Anger