Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 04-28-2012, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Other then Courtney Upshaw, Asa Jackson is probably my favorite of our picks.

As of now, I'll stamp a pretty big "meh" on it. I love Upshaw, Streeter and Jackson, but I really don't care for the rest of our draft, especially when we left a ton of premiere talent on the board in the mid rounds.
While I didn't like that we picked a RB in round 3, I can't say that I don't like Pierce.

Thompson at the very least aids ST coverage and may even be able to take over as the eventual starter over Pollard.

I cant say I completely like the Grodkowski pick based on the knowledge available to me (but at this point that is very little) and it may turn out to be a good pick.

Could it have been better? Yes, but I don't think you can call this a meh draft.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:29 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
As of now, I'll stamp a pretty big "meh" on it. I love Upshaw, Streeter and Jackson, but I really don't care for the rest of our draft, especially when we left a ton of premiere talent on the board in the mid rounds.
Tons of premium talent in the mid rounds you say? Interesting....
Old 04-28-2012, 07:50 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Tons of premium talent in the mid rounds you say? Interesting....
After all the love you've shown Joe Adams throughout the pre-draft process, proclaiming him as an electric player both in the receiving and in the passing game, I'd have figured that you of all people would be upset about passing on him early in Round 4. Same goes for Ben Jones and Phillip Blake, both of whom you've praised, and who went 1 & 10 picks after we chose Gradkowski, respectively. I believe you gave Chris Givens late first/early second hype in your pre-draft thread, and we chose Bernard Pierce, a backup RB, over him. You called Marvin Jones a solid second rounder in IRC the other day, and we drafted both Gradkowski and Christian Thompson over him. Hell, we just finished drafting Brandon Thompson in the second round of the Forum Mock, and we chose Bernard Pierce over him as well. I would have though that you would be just as upset as me with those mid round choices, considering we passed on an absolute ton of your guys as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
After all the love you've shown Joe Adams throughout the pre-draft process, proclaiming him as an electric player both in the receiving and in the passing game, I'd have figured that you of all people would be upset about passing on him early in Round 4. Same goes for Ben Jones and Phillip Blake, both of whom you've praised, and who went 1 & 10 picks after we chose Gradkowski, respectively. I believe you gave Chris Givens late first/early second hype in your pre-draft thread, and we chose Bernard Pierce, a backup RB, over him. You called Marvin Jones a solid second rounder in IRC the other day, and we drafted both Gradkowski and Christian Thompson over him. Hell, we just finished drafting Brandon Thompson in the second round of the Forum Mock, and we chose Bernard Pierce over him as well. I would have though that you would be just as upset as me with those mid round choices, considering we passed on an absolute ton of your guys as well.
As I said, I believe it could have been better, but I can't say that it is a meh draft.

We still landed at least 5 solid picks. Even if they could have been better

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 04-28-2012, 07:56 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Here is a list of our UDFAs so far:

John Brantley, QB, Florida
Charles Brown, CB, UNC
Austin Johnson, LB, Tennessee
Chyl Quarles, SAF, Wake Forest
Nick Jean-Baptiste, DT, Baylor
Deonte Thompson, WR, Florida
Nick Provo, TE, Syracuse
Devin Goda, WR, Slippery Rock

Also Cincinnati has signed Vonatze Burfict

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 04-28-2012, 08:00 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chase Minnifield and Leonard Johnson both went undrafted. Wouldn't be upset to see either of them in a Ravens uniform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:02 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Johnson signed with the Buccaneers already. Minnefiled is still out there, don't see the fit or need for him though. I'm hoping for James Brown.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:31 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
Here is a list of our UDFAs so far:

John Brantley, QB, Florida
Charles Brown, CB, UNC
Austin Johnson, LB, Tennessee
Chyl Quarles, SAF, Wake Forest
Nick Jean-Baptiste, DT, Baylor
Deonte Thompson, WR, Florida
Nick Provo, TE, Syracuse
Devin Goda, WR, Slippery Rock

Also Cincinnati has signed Vonatze Burfict
1: I love that we picked this guy up. Really think he has a chance to make it in the pros.

2: Thats gonna be fun to watch...
SunTzu_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If they havent signed elsewhere yet, I think we should give Marvin Jones and Chris Owusu a call.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:51 PM    (permalink
drd23
Rookie

drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.

Its really hard for me to know what to think about this draft given that some of my favoured players were passed over for other players when I thought that they'd make good picks and that 3 mid round picks in a row were from non-FBS schools where its not easy to get any video of them.

I'm still not sure what to think of taking Pierce. Its seems our FO (or Harbs at the very least) were really high on him given that they'd been in contact with him throughout the draft before they took him, and told him that they were trying to move up for him before they actually did, but I side with APS in thinking that a dynamic home run threat like Lamar Miller is what we needed more than a workhorse like Pierce. Sure, we needed a short yardage back, but it seemed like the FO/coaching staff was happy to have Anthony Allen do that before the draft.

The fact that the FO has seen Gino Gradkowski a couple of times, worked out both Ben Jones and Gradkowski and that the Ravens have a decent track record on recruiting OL players gives me some hope that it is at least a decent pick.

I haven't seen much of Thompson or Jackson, but they look like good developmental players who will help immediately on Special Teams, and anything we can do to improve our appalling coverage teams will be a good thing. Jackson's return ability will hopefully mean that Webb doesn't need to return punts again.
drd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu_22 View Post
If they havent signed elsewhere yet, I think we should give Marvin Jones and Chris Owusu a call.
Marvin Jones was drafted by the Bengals in the 6th and Owusu signed with San Fran right away.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:16 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

Quote:
Marvin Jones was drafted by the Bengals in the 6th and Owusu signed with San Fran right away.
Meant Dwight Jones from NC. My Bad.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:14 AM    (permalink
drd23
Rookie

drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunTzu_22 View Post
Meant Dwight Jones from NC. My Bad.
Dwight Jones signed with the Texans
drd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:26 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

I don't like doing this this early but...

Overall I would say we had a solid B draft. If Gino eventually becomes our starting center that trade back will look great if we still got Upshaw and a starter. We made no 'flashy' picks other than Upshaw I guess but we filled all of our needs across the board and provided some much needed depth at several spots.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...0%98wiped-out/

This was a good article about how we felt as well. Things just werent falling our way. Last year we got lucky with our first two picks not only being teh BPA on the board but they filled our biggest need. This year PIT was the lucky team. Overall I think we did a solid job this draft.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't like doing this this early but...

Overall I would say we had a solid B draft. If Gino eventually becomes our starting center that trade back will look great if we still got Upshaw and a starter. We made no 'flashy' picks other than Upshaw I guess but we filled all of our needs across the board and provided some much needed depth at several spots.
I remember DeCosta saying that this was a depth draft for the Ravens a couple of weeks ago. Looking at who was available after their second round picks it seems as if that was destined to be the case. Osemele should be a starter as well, I think he's a better option than Reid at LG if the staff is able to correct his technique in camp.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:19 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

I see we signed James Carmon, OT, Mississippi State and I'm pretty excited about that. I watched him a bit this year and although he's super, he's massive, very athletic, very strong and plays with an edge.

He was actually NFP's #14 ranked OT in the draft. Here's their scouting report.
Quote:
A former interior defensive lineman with a massive frame and impressive coordination for his size. Is a JUCO transfer who saw action in 13 games last year on the defensive side of the ball and finished with 8 tackles. Is long armed, displays a decent feel inside and has the body control to shed blocks inside and moves surprisingly well off his frame. Displays a natural burst to his game in tight areas and can slip blocks on occasion and work toward the football. Displays intriguing body control/athleticism for a guy his size. However, pad level is the key as he struggles to keep his base down and doesn't play with consistent leverage into and through contact.

Made the move to OT this year and has struggled with the overall nuances of the position. Is a big bodied, talented kid who can bend, has some natural athleticism to his game, plays long and exhibits a really heavy set of hands. There is also some initial quickness to his game as well in pass protection. But he has a tendency to get overextended trying to reach speed off the edge that he seems capable of reaching and he hasn't quite figured out how to sink his hips when anchoring.

Impression: He's a gifted athlete for his size who at worst is worth a developmental/free agent grade. He's the type of lineman I would love to have/develop on my practice squad for a year and see how much he can develop.
Pretty much exactly the type of player you hope to land in UFA with a starting caliber physical skill set.

Last edited by TACKLE : 04-30-2012 at 02:21 AM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:25 AM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No love for knowing Upshaw, Osemele, and Streeter would all get drafted by us?
I've been saying it for months and months and everyone always disagreed with me.
muhuhaha
Old 04-30-2012, 11:42 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
No love for knowing Upshaw, Osemele, and Streeter would all get drafted by us?
I've been saying it for months and months and everyone always disagreed with me.
muhuhaha
The only guy that anybody disagreed with was Osemele. Upshaw was almost universally hoped-for as a pick. I don't recall much discussion about Streeter.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:03 PM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OLB Courtney Upshaw = A-
OL Kelechi Osemele = B+
RB Bernard Pierce = B
OL Gino Gradkowski = C
S Christian Thompson = C
CB Asa Jackson = B
WR Tommy Streeter = B+
DE DeAngelo Tyson = C+
NT Nick Jean Baptise = C+
CB Charles Brown = C+
RB Bobby Rainey = C
OG Antonie McClain = C
SS Chyl Quarles = C-

overall: B+
Old 05-01-2012, 12:01 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

FB Chad Diehl = A+
Old 05-01-2012, 02:15 AM    (permalink
bam bam
Veteran

bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bam bam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

As far as Gradkowski vs Jones, I have to imagine that Flacco's influence played a significant role in that decision (Which is also a mistake).
Flacco was drafted before Gradkowski transferred to Delaware. They never played together.

Dude was just seen as a better prospect by the front office.
bam bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any word on the jersey numbers for the rookies?
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:22 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Upshaw tweeted that he was wearing 91. That's the only one I've seen reported so far.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...favorite-pick/

Decosta-
Quote:
I think the favortie pick was Gino Gradkowski
Also interesting, we were interested in Burfict as a UDFA but the Bengals won out

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote: