Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

View Poll Results: Was the selection of Dontari Poe a good pick?
YES! We need a NT and he was already several picks past value. 1 4.55%
Yes. He is good value and fills a need. 8 36.36%
Meh. The pick is OK, but there are others at least as good. 4 18.18%
No. We need a NT, but this was a reach. 1 4.55%
NO! He cannot play the position. We will have a hole and be drafting NT again soon. 4 18.18%
I wanted Weeden. 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2012, 05:56 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default What about Poe?

How good was the pick?

J
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:34 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol, I wanted Weeden. Thats funny
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good value and I trust that RAC and Anthony Pleasent can get the most out of him. The reports that he was lazy or had a bad motor are completely false.

I just want him to get to camp and get to work asap. Hit the weight room and start working on hand placement/hand movement stuff.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I voted "I wanted Weeden" just to see vidae's head explode.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:08 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post

Old 05-05-2012, 12:30 AM    (permalink
SoCalBam
Veteran

SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SoCalBam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
Funny......
SoCalBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:33 AM    (permalink
TheBoyWonder22
Shave
Pro Bowler

TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love how Todd McShay's justification for his low rating of Poe is that he isn't a pass rusher...WTF. Learn football Todd!

Compliments of TACKLE

Gamertag/PSN: theboywonder44
TheBoyWonder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:55 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dont get how so many people think Dontari Poe has a high bust potential. Every player has a risk of performing short of his slot, granted. The upside are the much overused All Pro names that are used because they are also very large. But the Chiefs did not pay for that. They paid the #11 pick.

At worst, Poe is going to be a huge, powerful run stuffer, with exceptional endurance. Even without jaw dropping workout numbers, that kind of thing is expensive. If Poe is nothing but a more mobile Terrance Cody, that still has real value.

J
Old 06-17-2012, 10:48 AM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the idea of picking Dontari is growing on me, a lot. his athleticism was never in question. his ability to step in and mentaly handle the game @ an NFL level. his ability to learn, read and react in the correct way to make an impact on this team. to this point in his career, he is doing everything right and he appears to have a thirst for knowledge.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds like he's picking up everything they're throwing at him pretty easily.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:35 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Carls 5 Year Plan View Post
the idea of picking Dontari is growing on me, a lot. his athleticism was never in question. his ability to step in and mentaly handle the game @ an NFL level. his ability to learn, read and react in the correct way to make an impact on this team. to this point in his career, he is doing everything right and he appears to have a thirst for knowledge.
I never heard any indication he did not play hard, just that he was overused. It appears he also lacked even basic coaching. If he has been having to figure things out on his own, having a knowledgeable teacher will be like water in the desert.

If Crennnel's handling of Wilfork is any indication, he will be getting a lot of work on the fundamentals before he sees much game time in the middle. Both RC and Pioli say he will be on the pass rush package, which also jives. Expect him to play more DE than NT for a while. Gordon and Power are also looking good, so the middle is suddenly loaded with talent.

J

Last edited by onejayhawk : 06-17-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:29 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I wouldn't be surprised to see Poe start this year. I know NTs generally don't start their first year (at least not at NT) but I think Poe is going to be the exception to the rule.

And I do think he's a third down player. First two at NT, third downs at DE. I want to see what this kid can do.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:39 AM    (permalink
TheBoyWonder22
Shave
Pro Bowler

TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
And I do think he's a third down player. First two at NT, third downs at DE. I want to see what this kid can do.
I don't get this Vid. Why wouldn't he play DT? You certainly have too many good outside pass rushers to be playing Poe at DE.

Compliments of TACKLE

Old 06-18-2012, 06:22 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyWonder22 View Post
I don't get this Vid. Why wouldn't he play DT? You certainly have too many good outside pass rushers to be playing Poe at DE.
DE in the pass rush package is a DT, sort of. There are only 2 down linemen, hence both are DE. But Hali and Houston are outside them, essentially stand up DEs. In any event, he lines up on the RG, though he can favor either shoulder. His job is to collapse the pocket.

J
Old 06-18-2012, 06:49 AM    (permalink
TheBoyWonder22
Shave
Pro Bowler

Ok, I was unaware the Chiefs package worked that way. So we meant the same thing. That's a weird method. I think I'd prefer four down linemen.

Compliments of TACKLE

Old 06-18-2012, 08:05 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Poe start this year. I know NTs generally don't start their first year (at least not at NT) but I think Poe is going to be the exception to the rule.

If he does, it probably won't be until mid-year at the earliest if Gordon/Powe aren't getting it done or if Poe is just too good to hold back.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:16 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unless they play really really wide, it's weird to refer to a 2 man line as having "DEs".
Old 06-19-2012, 06:14 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
If he does, it probably won't be until mid-year at the earliest if Gordon/Powe aren't getting it done or if Poe is just too good to hold back.
Also, if he plays most of the passing downs, he will be getting 40-50%% of the snaps. Add in GL/short yardage/jumbo packages and he will be close to the normal amount of work a front line player gets. Rotations are necessary.

J
Old 06-19-2012, 05:06 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I'm just excited to see what kind of impact he can have on the run defense. We've been really bad at defending the run for years now and that has to change. I can't wait to see him in the trenches.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:09 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

Quote:
I'm just excited to see what kind of impact he can have on the run defense. We've been really bad at defending the run for years now and that has to change. I can't wait to see him in the trenches.
yeah, you would figure a run clogging NT would be a huge impact on Dorsey and Jackson, who are already better at stopping the run than rushing the passer. the benefits of a really good NT in this defense is almost unlimited. EVERYONE is a lot better. i just hope we see some of that this year rather than 3 years down the road
Old 06-21-2012, 01:49 AM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Poe is going to specifically be used in Wallace Gilberry's old position. I bet Romeo and Pioli were just as tired as we were of seeing our 3rd down package fail because Gilberry is getting tossed like a rag doll on the 3rd down draw plays.

I just hope that Poe gets push up the middle on 3rd down. If he does that, then this defense is top 5.

Poe doing well will make everyone better. This could be a great pick.

JUST DRAFT A QB DAMNIT!!!
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Best pick ever.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
Best pick ever.
Is there anything new driving this?

J