Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

View Poll Results: Grade?
A+ 0 0%
A 0 0%
A- 1 5.88%
B+ 3 17.65%
B 7 41.18%
B- 2 11.76%
C+ 0 0%
C 3 17.65%
C- 1 5.88%
D+ or lower (specify) 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2012, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Grade the 2012 Draft

Draft picks

Round 1 - OT Riley Reiff (Iowa)
Round 2 - WR Ryan Broyles (Oklahoma)
Round 3 - CB Bill Bentley (Louisiana-Lafayette)
Round 4 (from SF) - DE Ronnell Lewis (Oklahoma)
Round 5 (from MIN) - LB Tahir Whitehead (Temple)
Round 5 (from OAK) - CB Chris Greenwood (Albion)
Round 6 (from SF) - CB Jonte Green (New Mexico State)
Round 7 (from MIN) - LB Travis Lewis (Oklahoma)

Trades

DET - 158 (5th) + 230 (7th) for
OAK - 148 (5th)

DET - 2013 4th round pick for
MIN - 138 (5th)

DET - 117 (4th)
SF - 125 (4th) + 196 (6th)

UDFAs

QB Kellen Moore (Boise State)
RB Stephfon Green (Penn State)
WR Patrick Edwards (Houston)
WR Jared Karstetter (Washington State)
WR Troy Burrell (Wayne State)
TE Alex Gottlieb (William & Mary)
TE Austin Wells (Northern Iowa)
OL Pat Boyle (Temple)
OT Quinn Barham (Penn State)
OG Rodney Austin (Elon)
OG J.C. Oram (Weber State)
DE Brandon Rankin (Washington State)
DT Michael Cosgrove (Idaho)
DT Edmon McClam (Old Dominion)
LB Carmen Messina (New Mexico)
LB Ronnie Sneed (Kentucky)
CB Alonzo Lawrence (Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College)
S Sam Proctor (Oklahoma)
K Derek Dimke (Illinois)
Old 05-03-2012, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the later picks better now that I have a better understanding of who they are and what the scouting team thought of them. Solid impact lineman who hopefully will replace Backus but will definitely be a long-term starter is huge. Broyles upside is potentially good as well. However, Reiff is not Kalil and Broyles is coming off of an ACL injury. The ceilings aren't high enough on any of these picks to warrant an A type of grade. I like the players, but there is too much speculation right now. I look forward to seeing some of these guys turn into monsters in a couple seasons.

B

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:53 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reiff was great value falling and worst case a good RT, but hopefully a future LT. A

Broyles, good WR prospect with punt return ability. Obvious replacement for Burleson(due to his 6 million cap number next year), junk depth last year at WR 4 or 5. Head scratcher at the time but a good prospect. If the Lions had Bentley rated higher than or close to Trumaine Johnson,Heyward and Josh Robinson, then great pick. B

Dwight Bentley. Solid corner prospect with good measurables and potential to be nickel or number 2. Solid value later round 3. A-

Ronnell Lewis. "The Hammer". Great value and special teams value. Moving him to DE is interesting though. A- after the trade down to pick up a 6th but moving him to DE knocks it down as he'll have to bulk up.

Tahir Whitehead. OLB depth. Don't like giving up next year 4th for him. C-

Chris Greenwood. Great measurables but very raw. B+

Jonte Green. Another small school corner with good upside. B

Travis Lewis. Good value and OLB depth. Special teams losing Carpenter and Ekejenuba, Lewis,Whitehead,Lewis makes sense. A-

Weighted average for value and potential A-.

This draft looks alot like the Packers 2011 draft(Sherrod/Cobb) but then Mayhew followed it up with good defensive picks with potential. Long term good draft, short term some help but not much. If Bentley or Greenwood beat out Lacey or Berry and are solid, I'll be extremely happy.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's my analysis:

Overall, I graded the Lions out at a B+ between the NFL draft and UDFA activity. The Kellen Moore move, despite any controversy about the guy, was a great pick up. He's a perfect fit for the 3rd string role, and in the future possibly a 2nd string guy.

Riley Reiff: Reiff is a guy that can come in and play any position on the line. He'll play Center, as long as it means getting on the field. There are 5 starters on the Detroit O-line that are wondering in the back of their minds right now, whose job he is going to take. The fact that they didn't have to move up to get the perfect guy for our line, makes this move that much sweeter. Grade: A+

Broyles: This is a pick I did not agree with. You can't argue with the guys production, no question, but I do question the Lions' priorities in this situation. Josh Robinson should have been the pick, he's a guy that can walk in and start immediately for the Lions, and they passed on him. As for Broyles, my main concern is injury related. He suffered a year-long injury in November 2011, which means if he rehabilitates quickly, he will not even be effective on the roster until October. I appreciate getting the depth, and having the flexibility to cut Burleson's cap hit next year. But with the slide that some guys had at the WR position, they really could have gotten a slot receiver in the 4th round. Grade: C-

Bentley: This was a no-brainer for the Lions, and to their credit, they didn't muck it up. Bentley was among the top 2 defensive backs still on the board at this point, and while I don't think he'll be a starter right away, I do think he is going to be a valuable nickel back for the first year or two of his career. He's got tremendous ball skills, and adequate playing speed. Grade: B

Ronnell Lewis: The Hammer! Yes. Yes. And more yes. Ronnell Lewis plays the game with a tenacity remnant of Howie Long. He's a hard-hitting, high motor defensive end that will push a lot of veterans to work harder next year. This is what the NFL is all about. Getting guys that make your veterans work harder to keep their jobs, and becoming eventual replacements for the older guys. Ronnell Lewis is going to be a productive Lion for years to come. Grade: A-

Tahir Whitehead: This was a reach. The guy wasn't even on Scott Wright's top 253, and yet the Lions decided to go after him with the 148th pick. To be honest, I just can't see this guy contributing to anything but some occasional special teams help. I think he's depth at LB, but he's never going to be a full time starter in the NFL. Grade: D

Chris Greenwood: I absolutely love this pick. I'm a big fan of big CB's with all the physical tools. I like that he's a hometown guy from Albion, and he's got blazing speed. I think the move up to get him was worth the picks they gave up. He's got a lot of upside, and he's fairly raw. But from what I know, he's a very coachable young man, and I think he could actually have a better chance at being a full time starter than Bill Bentley. Grade: B

Jonte Green: Here's a pick I just don't really understand. I can't understand why the Lions would pick Green here over a great value prospect like Brandon Washington, G, Miami (FL). Also, Nate Potter was still on the board here, and I think they could have added a lot of depth to an O-line that is, let's face it, a little long in the tooth. Grade: C-

Travis Lewis: Here's a fantastic value pick. He's a very high character football player, he's an Oklahoma legend, and he was insanely productive. I love production at the college level. I think it is the single most telling area of prospecting college football players. Getting Travis Lewis in the 7th round is the definition of steal, and he could develop into a starter down the line. In the meantime, he's going to be a head-hunter on special teams. Grade: B+

Weighted average is a B+
Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Broyles should be fine by Week 1 or even before. He ran at his pro day. I remember when Pettigrew tore his ACL in November. He was ready to rock and roll week 1 in 2010.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 PM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe This Year Mayhew View Post
Broyles should be fine by Week 1 or even before. He ran at his pro day. I remember when Pettigrew tore his ACL in November. He was ready to rock and roll week 1 in 2010.
We'll see. I'm going to remain skeptical. I've seen guys not ever be the same player after a major ACL injury. He's young, he'll rehab. But it's not minor enough to be dismissed.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Pettigrew was back August 1 and he got hurt 2 weeks after Broyles did. And Pettigrew had a good year in 2010. ACL are still major but with modern medicine, young players like Broyles and Pettigrew can recover quickly.

My approximate guess Broyles has 42 rec with upper 50 some targets, 12.0 YPC 500 yards and 4 tds. Taking targets away mainly from Burleson and Pettigrew who weren't very efficient with receptions per target. I hope Titus and Calvin and Pettigrew are more efficient with their targets too. Broyles and hopefully Best back should help in not forcing as much to the other guys. Even 200-400 yards from Broyles is an updgrade over the nothing Davis and Stovall gave the Lions.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:39 AM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

My argument isn't against Broyles necessarily. It's more that they could have addressed other things, i.e. the offensive or defensive line, and/or the secondary with that pick. Also keep in mind, we passed on Lavonte David with that 2nd pick, not just good DB's. I trust what Mayhew is doing, but I just would've gone with a receiver a round or two later. Sanu, Givens, Graham, Randall, Keshawn Martin, Nick Toon, B.J. Cunningham, all could have filled the role of 4th and eventual 3rd WR.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteinebach View Post
My argument isn't against Broyles necessarily. It's more that they could have addressed other things, i.e. the offensive or defensive line, and/or the secondary with that pick. Also keep in mind, we passed on Lavonte David with that 2nd pick, not just good DB's. I trust what Mayhew is doing, but I just would've gone with a receiver a round or two later. Sanu, Givens, Graham, Randall, Keshawn Martin, Nick Toon, B.J. Cunningham, all could have filled the role of 4th and eventual 3rd WR.
It depends how they rated Bentley compared to the others. Robinson, Bentley, Trumain Johnson are all small school guys. Bentley has good measurables and is the same height as Robinson. Scott even has Bentley rated over Heyward.

Ronnell Lewis is playing DE so they did do something with the Dline. Which in the short term doesn't need much work as Lewis won't play much unless KVB sees less snaps and they play Lewis over Lo Jack/Young or injuries. Curry would have been a good pick too but they chose a future replacement for Burleson over future replacement for KVB. I think Avril needs to get a long term deal done in July though for me to feel better about the DE situation going into 2013. I also think KVB would take a pay cut after this year just because how much he likes to play football.

David could have replaced Levy but that's not a certainty. Levy needs to step it up though.

Oline was addressed with Reiff and a guard goes down they think Reiff could play inside and move Gosder back to RT. Plus the last hurrah for Hilliard and Fox. Konz would have been a good pick but I don't think he starts over Raiola in year 1. Year 2 definitely, Raiola would be gone.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 AM    (permalink
jojo
Rookie

jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Solid B largely b/c of Rieff.

Really liking Travis Lewis in Rd. 7 too, but he went to my HS & I shamelessly promote him at every opportunity.
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe This Year Mayhew View Post
Konz would have been a good pick but I don't think he starts over Raiola in year 1. Year 2 definitely, Raiola would be gone.
I'm glad we passed on Konz. I've heard that he has some serious degenerative injury concerns. Although, I can't say I wouldn't have loved to see the Lions take David Molk or Brandon Washington instead of Jonte Green. The Jonte Green pick made absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. He's a no-name prospect that most people didn't even have in their top 300, much less a draftable 253.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I trust Mayhew completely and until he produces a draft similar to Matt Millen in flops, I will continue to support him a 100% so right now, I love our draft and think we stole Broyles with our round 2 pick.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I trust Mayhew completely and until he produces a draft similar to Matt Millen in flops, I will continue to support him a 100% so right now, I love our draft and think we stole Broyles with our round 2 pick.
And Jonte Green? Really? I'm sorry, but blind acceptance is ignorance. The guy can make mistakes like anyone else.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Seriously upset about a 6th round pick from a small school that probably just have some highlights on you tube and read scouting reports from the talking heads. Green gets a chance just like Greenwood and Bentley who are both pretty big unknowns too but just have better measurables.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watch Jonte Green go out and win the starting job and go to the Pro Bowl with 6 picks.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:39 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
And Jonte Green? Really? I'm sorry, but blind acceptance is ignorance. The guy can make mistakes like anyone else.
Every GM from the best to the worst make mistakes, the better ones just do it less frequently. All of Mayhew's picks won't pan out but overall I'm expecting the best and believe he had a solid reason for each pick. How fast you forget Matt Millen and what a poor GM drafts like.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:14 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Exactly not every pick works out. Sometimes you draft Derrick Williams but if you also draft Pettigrew, Titus Young, trade Ernie Sims for Scheffler and go after Burleson in free agency and get a long term deal for Calvin done on your watch, people forget about the one bad pick out of many good picks. Plus we'll see on Broyles.

CB, Mayhew has had more trouble(Buchanon,Will James, Anthony Henry, Jonathan Wade, Eric King, Eric Wright, Brandon McDonald, Alphonso Smith) but they are harder to find. The trade for Chris Houston was good and Delmas draft pick was good and Berry still has some upside for being undrafted. Next up to hopefully make us forget about those corners with Bentley,Greenwood or Green and longshots of success with Lacey. Just takes 1 of them. And Spievey needs an offseason of teaching at safety.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

my problem with the green pick is that this team is not going to carry 3 rookie CBs. Now granted, we've seen our depth get depleted there year after year but I don't see all these guys being on the team.

I would have prefered Molk there and have a chance for a Raiola replacement next year
Old 05-08-2012, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
my problem with the green pick is that this team is not going to carry 3 rookie CBs. Now granted, we've seen our depth get depleted there year after year but I don't see all these guys being on the team.

I would have prefered Molk there and have a chance for a Raiola replacement next year
Exactly. My criticism of the Jonte Green pick is stemming from a place that Mayhew himself originated. What I'm saying is, Mayhew's self-proclaimed policy is to draft the best player available. Jonte Green could not have been higher on their board than Brandon Washington or David Molk. Those were guys that both slid down the board further than they should have, and were easily more NFL ready than a guy like Jonte Green. To me it just screams: add depth forget BPA!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Exactly. My criticism of the Jonte Green pick is stemming from a place that Mayhew himself originated. What I'm saying is, Mayhew's self-proclaimed policy is to draft the best player available. Jonte Green could not have been higher on their board than Brandon Washington or David Molk. Those were guys that both slid down the board further than they should have, and were easily more NFL ready than a guy like Jonte Green. To me it just screams: add depth forget BPA!
I don't agree, Washington and Molk were simply overhyped with only a small window to make a team. Mayhew used an old and very workable strategy, the draft is a crapshoot at best, so if you want to find a starter, draft a # of prospects for the position and see if one of them pans out, keeping in mind special teams as well.
Just because Jonte Green isn't well know doesn't mean he wasn't rated higher than those other 2.