Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 05-16-2012, 11:42 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't buy that at all. I have basically no expectations for Edelman the receiver at this point. He's had his chances and done nothing with them.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I don't buy that at all. I have basically no expectations for Edelman the receiver at this point. He's had his chances and done nothing with them.
This. I'm sick of hearing people talk about Edelman like he could easily replace Welker. It's ridiculous.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with EE on this one, Edelman is not going to just step up and become Welker 2.0 for us. That said I would still be open to trading him, I think we could get great value somewhere for him, and with the current group we have now I think we would be more than ok still (not to say we wont wish we had his talents at times). I am worried about just continuing to bring in older Wrs, at some point we need to work on getting a young guy who can stretch the field for us who isnt over 32 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:34 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do think it's somewhat important to find someone to play that type of role for us though. Edelman could help mitigate the loss a bit, but I don't think it would be healthy for us as an offense as I just don't see it with him. Ebert intrigues me with some of what I've seen and the stronger than anticipated workout numbers, but he probably needs some time in the oven.

...but I really doubt we end up trading him in the end.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:54 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't think it's him, though. When he's out there and Brady actually tries to get it to him, it's never a good throw. Edelman could easily be the cure for them at WR, but there's just some timing issue with Brady.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:55 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
This. I'm sick of hearing people talk about Edelman like he could easily replace Welker. It's ridiculous.
He already showed he can do it in previous years when Welker was hurt. It's not ridiculous because we already have proof that he's capable of playing that position at a high level.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:42 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a small sample size, but when Welker is out, NE's offense hasn't been very good.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:42 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I do think it's somewhat important to find someone to play that type of role for us though. Edelman could help mitigate the loss a bit, but I don't think it would be healthy for us as an offense as I just don't see it with him. Ebert intrigues me with some of what I've seen and the stronger than anticipated workout numbers, but he probably needs some time in the oven.

I don't think were going to trade him either, and I agree we need someone who can play the slot and be a match up nightmare all over the field like he does for us but I still would do it if I was running things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:46 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They can't trade him or cut him (it would hurt the offense quite badly and no one is going to give up **** for him), but personally I don't think they can pay him long term so they're going to have to planning for next year without him. If they franchise him again, Brady and Welker will command over 28% of the salary cap.

I think both sides are playing the same game they played with Wilfork and with Mankins. Ultimately, I think he signs for a good 2 year deal.

But NE needs to start seriously investing in some WR youth...
Old 05-18-2012, 07:43 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Maybe Anthony Gonzalez will end up contributing this season, although his chances of making the roster are probably pretty slim since Edelman is more durable and versatile.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Patriots visit with tight end Dallas Clark

The Patriots invited tight end Dallas Clark in for a visit on Tuesday; Clark, who will turn 33 years old on June 12, has spent his entire NFL career as a member of the Indianapolis Colts after being drafted by Bill Polian in the first round of the 2003 NFL Draft (#24 overall) following an illustrious college career at Iowa, where he won the John Mackey Award as a senior. Clark is no doubt well-known to Patriots fans, as he has been one of Peyton Manning's primary targets over the years, tallying 427 career catches, 46 of them for touchdowns. In 2009, Clark was considered one of the most dangerous tight ends in the league after catching 100 passes for 1106 yards and 10 touchdowns, but has since been hampered by injuries; Clark has played in only 17 of the Colts' previous 32 regular-season games. Clark's 2010 season ended after six games when he was forced to undergo wrist surgery; last season Clark was slowed by a neck injury and limited to just 34 receptions in 11 games.

Clark previously earned a reputation as a mismatch for many of the league's linebackers; Peyton Manning often looked his way on seam routes, and Clark was effective at finding soft spots in zone coverage as well. The Colts rarely used Clark as an inline blocker, and his run-blocking skills are severely lacking. Clark was underutilized in pass protection largely because of his value as a receiver. However, last season Clark's receiving skills appeared to be in sharp decline; after catching 76% of his targets in 2009 and 72% of his targets in 2010, the tight end was able to catch just 54% of targets in 2011. Peyton Manning's absence was not entirely to blame; Clark was responsible for eight drops (just under 13% of his targets) and also fumbled the ball once. Patriots head coach Bill Belichick had high praise for Clark in 2009, calling him a “terrific player”, but his skills appear to have eroded as a result of age as well as injury.

In New England, Clark would project as Aaron Hernandez's backup at the H-Back spot. Clark has experience running a number of routes and his blocking deficiencies would be masked by an emphasis on what he could potentially offer as a target for Tom Brady. Offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is expected to feature tight ends extensively in the Patriots' gameplans, so building depth at the position could be one of New England's goals. Clark should be receptive to a one-year deal at the veteran minimum, as he has drawn little interest on the free agent market; however, it is fair to wonder whether or not he has anything left in the tank. Clark has been linked with a few other teams this offseason, most notably visiting the Kansas City Chiefs, who are run by Belichick disciple Scott Pioli, but none of the teams Clark has visited with have signed him. One possibility is that Clark's wrist or neck have not checked out medically; another is that teams feel as though he has nothing left to offer in the NFL. Peyton Manning endorsed Jacob Tamme over Dallas Clark when Denver was searching for a tight end, which says a lot about Clark's talent level at this point.

New England appears to be a strange suitor for Clark because they already have two elite tight ends in Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez, and signed Daniel Fells to a three-year deal in March with $2 million guaranteed. Fells is a player who the Patriots have coveted for a few years; they attempted to sign him the last time he hit the free agent market as well, and Fells is most effective as a receiving option rather than as a blocker despite his size (6'4”, 270.) Clark would be forced to beat out Fells, who is over four years younger (28) and who the Patriots have already made a substantial financial commitment to, in order to earn a roster spot. The Patriots also have tight end Brad Herman on roster, an undrafted free agent out of Iowa who figures to compete for a spot on New England's practice squad. At this point, it appears unlikely that Clark will be headed to the Patriots, although as teams begin to wrap up their free agent moves and focus on the current roster, Clark likely needs to find a new team soon if he wants to play in 2012.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like BB is updating his emergency contact list again.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

My first article as a staff writer for NEPatriotsDraft.com has been posted! I'm going to be writing a weekly article about a potential Patriots draft target in 2013, and the link to the first potential Patriots article (Texas A&M wide receiver Ryan Swope) is below:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/...tml#more-18016
Old 05-19-2012, 12:13 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Congrats on the position and nice read. Keep us updated.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
My first article as a staff writer for NEPatriotsDraft.com has been posted! I'm going to be writing a weekly article about a potential Patriots draft target in 2013, and the link to the first potential Patriots article (Texas A&M wide receiver Ryan Swope) is below:

Congrats Matt. I often visit NEPD and will look forward to reading your material.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:28 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:

Great first article.

I've had my eyes on Swope after watching Texas A&Ms games scouting Tannehill.

I kept seeing him throw it to that "25 guy" like Brady seems to do with Welker. I personally thought he was the best WR on that team. I was a big Jeff Fuller fan before this year, but Swope is definitely my favorite on that team now.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Thanks everyone! I've been trying to get a writing position for a while and I'm excited to end up writing about the Patriots as well as the draft. I'll keep you guys posted on how things are going; the next column is scheduled to be about another wide receiver!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 AM    (permalink
Bolt
Rookie

Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bolt is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thanks everyone! I've been trying to get a writing position for a while and I'm excited to end up writing about the Patriots as well as the draft. I'll keep you guys posted on how things are going; the next column is scheduled to be about another wide receiver!
Yeah keep us updated, first article was great!
Bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
Yeah keep us updated, first article was great!
Thanks man, I'll definitely be keeping everyone posted. I just submitted my next article today on another wide receiver, it should be up this weekend or maybe a little bit earlier. If you need a Patriots sig, I was just working on this Kevin Faulk one:

Let me know if you have any particular favorites and I'll try to whip one up, you might as well get settled into the boards.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

The Buccaneers are reportedly close to finalizing a one-year deal with TE Dallas Clark.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Eh, we had him on our emergency list only anyways (or so I thought)
I doubt we were going to keep 4 TEs on the team (We signed Fells already)

Old 05-21-2012, 11:14 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

The second column for NEPatriotsDraft.com is up!

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/...tml#more-18035
Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Mike Reiss is reporting that #33 (Faulk), #44 (Ihedigbo), and #93 (Carter) haven't been assigned to any of the players on the roster. I'd be glad to see Andre Carter back but hopefully the Patriots aren't planning on bringing back Faulk or Ihedigbo. I love Faulk as much as the next guy but do we really need a 36 year-old RB on the opening day roster?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

I can see the Pats retiring 33.
44 is an ugly number that not too many people wear
I actually think we'll bring back Carter.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

I still haven't figured out how Ihedigbo isn't good at football: