Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 05-18-2012, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have you folks tried putting a bench under the squat rack and then lifting? I tried it for the first time last session after doing some research, and it works great if you don't have a spotter. The side bars on the squat rack work great as a safety measure. It is a tad more work to get it set up, but I think I might do this regularly for bench so I can take more risks.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:23 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Have you folks tried putting a bench under the squat rack and then lifting? I tried it for the first time last session after doing some research, and it works great if you don't have a spotter. The side bars on the squat rack work great as a safety measure. It is a tad more work to get it set up, but I think I might do this regularly for bench so I can take more risks.
Yeah, it's not bad at all.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Right on about the squats. I'll say deads. I can feel my form get a little sloppy after #8 on the third and fourth set and then after #6/7 on the 5th. The bench is usually clean, but I can definitely see that happening when I go to 60%. Shoulder Press is kinda funny, as on the 5th set, I always die after 8, and have to a rest-pause kind of thing where it takes me 10 seconds before I can squeeze the last two out.
Oh, I didnt know you were doing OHP too. That dies quicker than bench, so that makes sense.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Oh, I didnt know you were doing OHP too. That dies quicker than bench, so that makes sense.

Here's what I've settled on:

Monday:

531 Bench
5X10 OHP
3 sets of 10 DB Rows
3 sets of 10 Tricep Pull Down
3 sets of 10 Face Pulls
3 sets of 10 DB Curls
1 set of 20 Incline Hammer (Light weight, done quickly)

Tuesday:

531 Squat
3 sets of 10 Calf Raises (I'm under the bar anyway, why not?)
5x10 Dead
5 sets of 10 Weighted Sit Up
2 sets of 12 Leg Extension
2 sets of 12 Leg Curl
3 sets of 10 Leg Raises

Wednesday:

20 30/30 Incline Sprints

Thursday:

531 OHP
5X10 Bench
3 sets of 10 Lat Pull Downs
3 sets of 10 Tricep Pulls
3 sets of 10: Face Pulls
3 sets of 10: Preacher
1 set of 20 Cable Flys (Light weight, done quickly)

Friday:

531 Dead
5x10 Squat
3 sets of 10 Calf Raises (I'm under the bar anyway, why not?)
5 sets of 10 Leg Raises
2 sets of 12 Leg Extension
2 sets of 12 Leg Curl
3 sets of 10 Weighted Sit up

Saturday:

20 30/30 Incline Sprints

Sunday:

Off

30/30 just means 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off. Treadmill is at about 9 on the incline.

Every lift starts up with 5-7 minutes on the bike to get loose, and 5 30/30 + 5 minutes of walking on incline to close.

If I have time, latter in the day/night on the upper body days I try and do some pullups/band pull aparts late and jump rope on leg days.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Man....thats a lot of work. Thank God you can eat like a mad man.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Man....thats a lot of work. Thank God you can eat like a mad man.

Hell yes it is. I anticipate this will be the last time I can train like this, so I want to take full advantage. Although, some of the extra work might be toned down when I get to the 60% and 70% stuff..

But yes, I'm a terror when it comes to eating. I don't know how you work, but I can easily divert myself from eating with busy work and stuff like that. However, when I sit down to eat... The portions are monstrous and I'm going to have to forcibly remove myself from the table.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:19 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
I do box squats every week. But for speed work. I do my box squat every once in a while too. I love it its doesnt take as much out of you as regular sqauts do but hits the posterior chain just as hard.

Yo ATL when do you plan on re testing your 1 rep maxes doing 531
Old 05-19-2012, 07:25 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
I do box squats every week. But for speed work. I do my box squat every once in a while too. I love it its doesnt take as much out of you as regular sqauts do but hits the posterior chain just as hard.

Yo ATL when do you plan on re testing your 1 rep maxes doing 531

No plans too. I'll just go with the standard add 5 lb to upper exercises every cycle, 10 to the lower.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see thats good. Do you have plans to compete eventually in anything whether its powerlifting or bodybuilding or just trying look good?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha. I'm trying a nice little work out plan since I have the summer off for once. I lift six nights a week, doing one muscle group a day. Bicep, back, chest, tricep, shoulders and legs. Every other day (or whenever my abs aren't absurdly sore) I do abs.

I do six exercises every night (only 4-5 for legs though) at four sets each. I try to stay away from anything that puts too much of a stress on my body - i.e. power cleans, squats, etc. My dad did all that crap for 20 years and his joints and knees are pretty messed up. It may just be genetics, but I still don't like putting that much strain on my body.

I can't do the conventional bar bench either because my wrists are too messed up from breaking them when I was younger, but dumb bell benching I feel is pretty good as a replacement.

Plus I jog 2 miles each morning. I might step that up though and start jogging 4-5 miles five or six days a week.

I guess I don't do too much in terms of lifting compared to ATL (cause he all types of crazy) but I just love lifting/exercising. I also don't use any supplements because, for the most part, think they are crap and unnecessary.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:53 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I see thats good. Do you have plans to compete eventually in anything whether its powerlifting or bodybuilding or just trying look good?
Dear lord no. I just enjoy being healthy and strong. The gym also acts as a nice little "sanctuary" and a place where I can find a way to still challenge myself. Aesthetics are just a nice added benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Haha. I'm trying a nice little work out plan since I have the summer off for once. I lift six nights a week, doing one muscle group a day. Bicep, back, chest, tricep, shoulders and legs. Every other day (or whenever my abs aren't absurdly sore) I do abs.

I do six exercises every night (only 4-5 for legs though) at four sets each. I try to stay away from anything that puts too much of a stress on my body - i.e. power cleans, squats, etc. My dad did all that crap for 20 years and his joints and knees are pretty messed up. It may just be genetics, but I still don't like putting that much strain on my body.

I can't do the conventional bar bench either because my wrists are too messed up from breaking them when I was younger, but dumb bell benching I feel is pretty good as a replacement.

Plus I jog 2 miles each morning. I might step that up though and start jogging 4-5 miles five or six days a week.

I guess I don't do too much in terms of lifting compared to ATL (cause he all types of crazy) but I just love lifting/exercising. I also don't use any supplements because, for the most part, think they are crap and unnecessary.

Forenci, if you really do have a full day dedicated to biceps, I'm going to come and kick you in the nuts.

Secondly, squats are actually quite beneficial to your knees/joints if you're form is good (practice).

Most supplements aren't "crap" but are completely unnecessary and massively overpriced. All the average lifter/I care about my fitness really needs is a good diet, a good multi, and fish oil. If you were a little more intense, creatine.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha I knew somebody would call out Forenci on his bicep day. That's something I would do in highschool when I was a nub.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:29 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

*Proud papa moment*

My son who is 15 and a freshman at high school broke the freshman squat record today. He did 365lbs. I just felt like sharing that.

Carry on...
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
*Proud papa moment*

My son who is 15 and a freshman at high school broke the freshman squat record today. He did 365lbs. I just felt like sharing that.

Carry on...
That's beastly, Zod. What's he weigh?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How big is your son?

Quote:
Old 05-21-2012, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hell, your 15 year old kicks my ass at squatting. Granted I'm a fairly scrawny receiver.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Oh no, I meant bench press lifting using the squat rack.

Quote:
Old 05-21-2012, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Dear lord no. I just enjoy being healthy and strong. The gym also acts as a nice little "sanctuary" and a place where I can find a way to still challenge myself. Aesthetics are just a nice added benefit.

Forenci, if you really do have a full day dedicated to biceps, I'm going to come and kick you in the nuts.

Secondly, squats are actually quite beneficial to your knees/joints if you're form is good (practice).

Most supplements aren't "crap" but are completely unnecessary and massively overpriced. All the average lifter/I care about my fitness really needs is a good diet, a good multi, and fish oil. If you were a little more intense, creatine.
Usually I just couple lifting bicep with back. That was my typical routine. Back/bicep, chest/tricep, shoulders/abs, and then legs.

And squats are fine as long as you have good technique and don't overdo the weight. I haven't ever taken supplements outside of some protein. Just based on my own preference and the people who I do know that take them feel the vast majority of them don't do much. Mostly it's the caffeine they put in pre-workouts that give people the feeling they're getting something out of it.

I just enjoy being healthy by going to the gym and running. I don't want to get "big" but prefer to just keep an athletic build, which is why I don't do a lot of crazy stuff.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:33 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs View Post
Hell, your 15 year old kicks my ass at squatting. Granted I'm a fairly scrawny receiver.
You're 2 bills bro.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Quote:
You're 2 bills bro.
I'm used to being in the 185 range. I still consider myself fairly scrawny but it's gotten better.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:51 AM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's beastly, Zod. What's he weigh?
He is 5'10" 225lbs. He'll be playing jr varsity this year and has played OL/DL every year since youth league football. He is working his way up to benching 200. I think he's at 185 ish now.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:56 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
He is 5'10" 225lbs. He'll be playing jr varsity this year and has played OL/DL every year since youth league football. He is working his way up to benching 200. I think he's at 185 ish now.
Makes sense then.....he should be a heck of a player just based on his strength alone. The squat:bench ratio looked a little out of whack to me, but I'm pretty sure bench is tougher to gain on when you're young. He should be pushing 2 plates in no time once the hormones start running on full gear. Also, I have no idea about your son's bench form, but I suspect he may not be getting the most out of his leg drive in the bench.

Any way you slice it though, that's damn impressive.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:01 AM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

Quote:
Makes sense then.....he should be a heck of a player just based on his strength alone. The squat:bench ratio looked a little out of whack to me, but I'm pretty sure bench is tougher to gain on when you're young. He should be pushing 2 plates in no time once the hormones start running on full gear. Also, I have no idea about your son's bench form, but I suspect he may not be getting the most out of his leg drive in the bench.

Any way you slice it though, that's damn impressive.
Yeah he's only been lifting with an actual school trainer for a couple months now. Before that he hadnt touched a weight before besides what little they did in PE class.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:09 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Yeah he's only been lifting with an actual school trainer for a couple months now. Before that he hadnt touched a weight before besides what little they did in PE class.
Damn. He just has those genetics. Were you the same way?

Last edited by Rob S : 05-22-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:36 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Started this year at 207, I'm down to 190. I feel awesome that I was able to lose that much weight and kind of embarrassed that I weighed that much (when it wasn't muscle). But I lost quite a bit of strength.
Just an update, down to 184 before breakfast today. Im going to do the bizzy diet for 3 weeks to scrap as much body fat as possible then slow bulk. Lost 23 pounds since the new year and still no abs... which is fine with me really but it is something I want in the future. My goal weight is 220 at about 10%. How realistic is that standing at 6'2 and how long should it take.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote