Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:10 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Still has a lot of the same players around him. His most proven receivers are Amendola, Salas, and Steve Smith. Still the same OL and TE's. An underwhelming pro group, and his receivers all fit the same kind of mold anyway (slot WR). Can Brian Quick and Chris Givens make a substantial rookie impact? Plus, Brian Schottenheimer is his OC, and he was never anything special with the Jets either.
There will be a very different look about the Rams this season than in the past. They brought in Scott Wells to anchor the middle. They drafted Rokevious Watkins who they really like as a big mauling guard. They signed Joe Long, who is Jake Long's little brother, as a project. They also signed two or three others as depth players. They have a new line coach in Paul Boudreau, who has coached four 10,000 yard rushers.

As for the receiving corps, they did not bring in a high dollar free agent like a lot of people said they needed to. Instead, they signed Steve Smith and drafted two very talented players in Quick and Givens. They hired Ray Sherman as ther WR coach. Sherman is known for sending receivers to the Pro Bowl, as well as taking very average guys and getting a lot of production from them. For the first time in several years there will actually be a fight to make this team as a receiver. I also see someone from the group of Salas/Pettis/Alexander/Gibson breaking out finally. While I don't see the group as one of the league's most talented, we did get more talented this year and I think you will see marked improvement.

Jackson is getting short in the tooth, there's no denying that. But they drafted Isaiah Pead to finally give him an adequate backup. I think we improve the run game as well.

One area on offense that I am really excited about is the tight ends. Lance Kendricks is a really good player who was kind of left out of the offense last year. Rob Boras is the new TE coach, and it was under his tutelage that Marcedes Lewis (Jacksonville) and Greg Olsen (Chicago) had their best Pro Bowl seasons. As a team the Rams' TE's caught 46 passes for 508 yards and no touchdowns. By comparison, Fisher's teams his last 5 seasons in Tennessee averaged 74/750/3.4. So I see that being an area of improvement as well.

Overall, I see this season as one of growth as a team. I think we throw for 3400 yards and run for 1800. That would put us at about 22nd in the league in total offense. I also think we score another 7 points a game, which would get us closer to the pack. In the end, I think we win 6 games, maybe 7, and go into next offseason as a team that people talk about having made decent strides. And we walk into the draft with two top-15 picks.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:43 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Still a very underwhelming offensive supporting cast, and an underwhelming OC to boot too. I'm just saying if you're going to use it as a reason for Bradford not performing, chances are offensively it's not going to change much this year. I see the Rams improving this year though, making big strides on defense and running a safe, ground attack and ball control style of offense. Just not sure if the offensive skill positions outside the RB's and maybe Kendricks are going to flourish this year.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:23 PM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Still a very underwhelming offensive supporting cast, and an underwhelming OC to boot too. I'm just saying if you're going to use it as a reason for Bradford not performing, chances are offensively it's not going to change much this year. I see the Rams improving this year though, making big strides on defense and running a safe, ground attack and ball control style of offense. Just not sure if the offensive skill positions outside the RB's and maybe Kendricks are going to flourish this year.
I hear ya, and I totally get what you are saying. It would be foolish to suggest that they will suddenly be among the league's top passing teams.

What I would like to see is some cohesion begin to develop on the offensive line, a strong running game that includes contributions from Pead and whoever else they keep, and the development of some chemistry between Bradford and his receivers besides Amendola. I don't think that is out of reach, and I think it would be a nice building block for the future.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote