Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 05-12-2012, 01:00 AM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
Icon

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm 3/4 of the way done with Abraham Lincoln Vamp Hunter haha

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:12 AM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Since the current discussion is trending towards dystopian novels, has anyone read 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami? I just started it today and read about a fifth of it already (it's 928 pages long.)
How are you liking it. It seems pretty popular so I will probably check it out. I was recommended Raw Shark Texts so I will probably read that next, after that Breakfast of Champions but I might check out IQ84 at some point soon because it seems pretty popular and sounds cool.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:55 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finished Nausea yesterday and say i am a little undecided about what I thought about it. There were parts I really enjoyed and emphasized Sartre's philosophical views well but having read alot of his other works I was a bit disappointed, I felt parts dragged. Regardless I think I am moving on to to either his "being and nothingness" for a second read through, or I may move on to Birth of a tragedy for a reread even though I despised it the first time.

Andddd since people were speaking of infinite jest a few posts back I may need to pick that up as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:25 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was always the difference between Muhammad Ali and the rest of us. He came, he saw, and if he didn't entirely conquer - he came as close as anybody we are likely to see in the lifetime of this doomed generation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

She was sitting up now. My arm was around her and she was leaning back against me, and we were quite calm. She was looking into my eyes with that way she had of looking that made you wonder whether she really saw out of her own eyes. They would look on and on after every one else's eyes in the world would have stopped looking. She looked as though there were nothing on earth she would not look at like that, and really she was afraid of so many things.

goddamn Hemingway is amazing

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:18 AM    (permalink
1funguy
Rookie

1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finished Greg Palast's "Vulture's Picnic" recently. In the middle of "Black Tuesday" by Nomi Prins, then Gregg Allman's bio "My Cross to Bear". "The Breath of God" by Jeffrey Small is in the mail to me.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finished reading "Ready Player One". Loved it.
A lot of 80's video game, tv show and movie references.
It's pretty much the Matrix except people purposely plug into it to escape real world problems.

Recommended.

Probably going to start the Hunger Games Trilogy. Haven't seen the movie so no spoilers.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just finished The Hunger Games trilogy. Loved it. Amazing. Peeta's the effin' man.

Starting Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter. A couple chapters in and already pretty entertaining.

Was recommended Maze Runner trilogy. I'll most likely hit those up next.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:20 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Finished reading "Ready Player One". Loved it.
A lot of 80's video game, tv show and movie references.
It's pretty much the Matrix except people purposely plug into it to escape real world problems.

Recommended.

Probably going to start the Hunger Games Trilogy. Haven't seen the movie so no spoilers.
I've always thought that this was more likely, if the scenario were ever going to take place. I'd probably plug into the Matrix if I could live out my "life" as a billionaire who bangs models and never has any troubles.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this was a fun read

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:53 AM    (permalink
NotMyJob
Rookie

NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NotMyJob is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1776 was a very bad year for the US until the very end.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't like 1776 all that much I think McCullogh is an overrated historian. I finally just picked up Washington's biography by Chernow and started reading last night.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:05 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I've always thought that this was more likely, if the scenario were ever going to take place. I'd probably plug into the Matrix if I could live out my "life" as a billionaire who bangs models and never has any troubles.
It's a very good book. Going to be made into a movie, so I've heard.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:31 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just got done with this one:

I'm going to be starting on Tess of the D'Urbervilles in preparation for my seminar next week. Does anyone have any opinions on the two?
Old 07-10-2012, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm re-reading a lot of all the old classics in preparation for a teaching job after grad school.

I'm hoping to get through Beowulf, Great Expectations and Jane Eyre in the next couple weeks.

I hope I get to teach 10th graders so I can make them read Gatsby. Gatsby is such a baller.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I'm re-reading a lot of all the old classics in preparation for a teaching job after grad school.

I'm hoping to get through Beowulf, Great Expectations and Jane Eyre in the next couple weeks.

I hope I get to teach 10th graders so I can make them read Gatsby. Gatsby is such a baller.
Gatsby is my favorite novel of all time. Gorgeous prose. Fitzgerald was a master, and I feel he's really underappreciated as far as authors go.

I could give you a list of stellar novels to read in preparation!
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just picked up The Silmarillion again.

First time I tried reading it was in 7th grade.

Me to my 7th grade self:

The writing is so freaking layered. It's crazy.

Oldie but a goodie.

Last edited by nobodyinparticular : 07-10-2012 at 03:18 PM.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:11 PM    (permalink
ncst8fan83
Pro Bowler

ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has anyone read any of Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allon books? Also, anyone with a good suggestion for spy/espionage type adventure novels? Thinking about picking up The Company by Robert Littell as well and would welcome any thoughts by anyone who has gone through all 900+ pages of that sucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman
Titty sprinkles
ncst8fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
I just picked up The Silmarillion again.

First time I tried reading it was in 7th grade.

Me to my 7th grade self:

The writing is so freaking layered. It's crazy.
How does it compare to LOTR? I'm reading through the series now, Tolkien is surprisingly easy to read.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember having to read The Hobbit when I was in 7th grade. Half the class slept through it and the other half skimmed it (I was in the half that slept through it). The teacher couldn't convince us that this might be something worth reading.

7th Graders are too stupid to know good things.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 AM    (permalink
1funguy
Rookie

1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.1funguy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Breath of God by Jeffrey Small was pretty interesting. Fiction but offered up some intriguing ideas.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:55 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I remember having to read The Hobbit when I was in 7th grade. Half the class slept through it and the other half skimmed it (I was in the half that slept through it). The teacher couldn't convince us that this might be something worth reading.

7th Graders are too stupid to know good things.
The Hobbit is far superior to the LOTR trilogy.
Quote:
Old 07-11-2012, 08:45 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
The Hobbit is far superior to the LOTR trilogy.
Although they are both from the same story line, you can tell that Tolkien didn't originally intend (or "realize" as he puts it) The Hobbit and LOTR were in the same universe. They have a very different flavor to them.

I like them both for what they are though. I like LOTR a little bit more though because he more carefully crafts the surrounding world IMO.

Oldie but a goodie.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:55 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
Although they are both from the same story line, you can tell that Tolkien didn't originally intend (or "realize" as he puts it) The Hobbit and LOTR were in the same universe. They have a very different flavor to them.

I like them both for what they are though. I like LOTR a little bit more though because he more carefully crafts the surrounding world IMO.
That's what bothers me about Tolkien. As much credit as he deserves for being one of (If not the biggest) contributor to the world of contemporary fantasy, he's ******* boring to read. I don't need two pages telling me what the bug on the leaf looked like.
Quote:
Old 07-11-2012, 08:57 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
How does it compare to LOTR? I'm reading through the series now, Tolkien is surprisingly easy to read.
It's not an entirely completed work. It's not nearly as polished as LOTR or The Hobbit because it was published posthumously based off of Tolkien's notes.

This is a very different flavor of writing both in syntax and in type of story as well--which is purposeful for Tolkien. It reads more like mythology. The first part is like Cosmogony--dealing with the "gods" creating the world in a very fantastic way. After that it reads like various mythological stories of heroes on quests against fantastic evil.

It takes a different reading level than Tolkien's other writings, and I find myself reading it more slowly alright now just trying to digest everything.

If you've ever wondered about the stories that set the backdrop to LOTR--about when Moria was a working, thriving mine and kingdom, about Sauron's power and great battles before Middle-earth calmed down, definitely read this book.

Oldie but a goodie.