Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
lightsout
Rookie

lightsout hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

if dan fouts can make the hall of fame why shouldn't bledsoe? bledsoe has more attempts, more completions, more yards, 3 less TD's but 36 less INT's. he won a ring (as a backup) but he got to another superbowl as the starter.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:13 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

Drew Bledsoe ain't going to the Hall of Fame unless he goes in the same way you and I do, by buying a ticket.

He is viewed as an adequate starter who kept the job warm until a younger more talented QB was ready. He never had a passing rating 90 or above. No MVP. He was never the best at his position in any given season.

And comparing him to Dan Fouts is either ignorant or fangirlness.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:33 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I think you're a little jaded. He was absolutely considered one of the best at his position for quite a few years. I'm not saying put him in the HOF, but he absolutely has the stats for it. There was a point in time where people were talking about him breaking Marino's passing yard record, and in the end, he finished 7th all time. So it is not completely ridiculous to talk about the guy as a HOF candidate.

Dan Fouts is a completely valid comparison. Dan Fouts had 7 years he three more INT's than TD's, Drew only had 5. Dan Fouts threw 20 INT's in a season five times, Drew only twice. The fleet footed Drew Bledsoe even had about 300 more rushing yards!

Last edited by Jay : 04-13-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:56 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
I think you're a little jaded. He was absolutely considered one of the best at his position for quite a few years. I'm not saying put him in the HOF, but he absolutely has the stats for it. There was a point in time where people were talking about him breaking Marino's passing yard record, and in the end, he finished 7th all time. So it is not completely ridiculous to talk about the guy as a HOF candidate.

Dan Fouts is a completely valid comparison. Dan Fouts had 7 years he three more INT's than TD's, Drew only had 5. Dan Fouts threw 20 INT's in a season five times, Drew only twice. The fleet footed Drew Bledsoe even had about 300 more rushing yards!
Are you saying Bledsoe was better than Brett Favre? Who had three MVP seasons when Bledsoe was at his peak? Better than John Elway? Better than Troy Aikman?

Yardage doesn't mean as much as what it used to since many QB's throw over 4,000 yards now. It doesn't take as long to rack up on the career yardage chart. Vinnie Testeverde probably should be in the Hall of Fame based on this logic.

Dan Fouts redefined the QB position. He was the first QB to throw for more than 4,000 yards in more than one season. He helped create the high powered offense.

Fouts couldn't run either, he makes Bledsoe look mobile.

Bledsoe ain't getting inducted. He will forever be seen as the bench warmer for the younger guy.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:07 AM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Jay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJay is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

You don't know what you're talking about. He was never a bench warmer for the younger guy. He was the franchise savior for the Patriots. Tom Brady just happened to come around. The Bills traded for him so he could turn the franchise around. The Cowboys signed him to be "the guy." No one expect Tony Romo to happen when the Cowboys signed Bledsoe.

And how am I saying Bledsoe is better than Brett Favre or John Elway? Both of them had more passing yards than Bledsoe. Both of them have better stats across the board? There's no need to pull names out your ass. All I am saying is that the argument can be made for Bledsoe being deserving of being in the Hall.

I'll bite and say he was as good, if not better than Troy Aikman. Aikman played two fewer seasons, but even if the stats project out, Bledsoe has him beat by a mile. Aikman benefited from playing on much better teams, all the way around. He had a HOF RB and a borderline HOF WR. But Aikman only threw for 20 or more TD's once. He only went to two more Pro Bowls, and the competition in the AFC was arguably much stiffer. But in the end, Troy Aikman won three Super Bowls, played for one of the biggest dynasties in the NFL and that is what he will be remembered for. In 1995, four of his OLineman were Pro Bowlers, in 1993 he had three and in 1992, two.

But Aikman has the rings, and while I feel like Bledsoe was a better QB, Aikman absolutely belongs in the hall first. But I don't see any reason why Bledsoe hasn't put himself into consideration for it. Is he borderline? Absolutely. If he doesn't get it, I will think it makes about as much sense as if he does get in. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

But to call him a "bench warmer" is completely uneducated.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:59 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You don't know what you're talking about. He was never a bench warmer for the younger guy. He was the franchise savior for the Patriots. Tom Brady just happened to come around. The Bills traded for him so he could turn the franchise around. The Cowboys signed him to be "the guy." No one expect Tony Romo to happen when the Cowboys signed Bledsoe.

And how am I saying Bledsoe is better than Brett Favre or John Elway? Both of them had more passing yards than Bledsoe. Both of them have better stats across the board? There's no need to pull names out your ass. All I am saying is that the argument can be made for Bledsoe being deserving of being in the Hall.

I'll bite and say he was as good, if not better than Troy Aikman. Aikman played two fewer seasons, but even if the stats project out, Bledsoe has him beat by a mile. Aikman benefited from playing on much better teams, all the way around. He had a HOF RB and a borderline HOF WR. But Aikman only threw for 20 or more TD's once. He only went to two more Pro Bowls, and the competition in the AFC was arguably much stiffer. But in the end, Troy Aikman won three Super Bowls, played for one of the biggest dynasties in the NFL and that is what he will be remembered for. In 1995, four of his OLineman were Pro Bowlers, in 1993 he had three and in 1992, two.

But Aikman has the rings, and while I feel like Bledsoe was a better QB, Aikman absolutely belongs in the hall first. But I don't see any reason why Bledsoe hasn't put himself into consideration for it. Is he borderline? Absolutely. If he doesn't get it, I will think it makes about as much sense as if he does get in. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

But to call him a "bench warmer" is completely uneducated.
You're the one that said this. "He was absolutely considered one of the best at his position for quite a few years." Better than Aikman, Moon, Favre, Elway, Marino, Young? I don't think so.

He went to Bufflao because Buffalo thought he was the veteran QB to get them to the playoffs. He had one good year and two lousy ones. He was not missed when he left town. He went to have two more lousy years in Dallas before he was benched for lousy performance.

Bledsoe never had a QB rating 90 or above. He never threw for more than 28 TD's in a season despite playing full season most of his career. He never set any records.

If Ken Anderson is not in the Hall of Fame, Drew Bledsoe isn't going in.

Read this.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15431478/

Keep waiting. I would plan alternative vacation backup because you will not be going to Canton to see Bledsoe enshrined.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:16 AM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Bledsoe, however, I do not believe he should be in the Hall of Fame, I don't think he was ever even a top 3 player at QB. Favre, Young, Elway were all without a doubt better. Aikman was arguably. Moon and Marino were on the down turn of their career, but still probably better.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:17 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"You're the one that said this. "He was absolutely considered one of the best at his position for quite a few years." Better than Aikman, Moon, Favre, Elway, Marino, Young? I don't think so."

being considered one of the best does not mean the best. it just means that you are considered by most to be an elite player at your position, which drew was for many years early in his career
Bigburt63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:05 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigburt63 View Post
"You're the one that said this. "He was absolutely considered one of the best at his position for quite a few years." Better than Aikman, Moon, Favre, Elway, Marino, Young? I don't think so."

being considered one of the best does not mean the best. it just means that you are considered by most to be an elite player at your position, which drew was for many years early in his career
I named 6 QB's of Bledsoe's prime that were thought to be better than him. All Bledsoe has going for him is his yardage and durability (for someone as statueque as Bledsoe, he hardly missed any games except for the Brady breakout season). He didn't dominate in any other area as others of his era. Fouts did.

Considering the back log of players waiting to go into the Hall of Fame, Bledsoe is going to take a number way back in the line.

Being from Mass, you have on the homer glasses that the rest of the nation doesn't have when looking at Bledsoe. Ask most people outside of New England the best QB's from the 90's, not many will say Drew Bledsoe.

Last edited by eacantdraft : 04-13-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft View Post
You're the one that said this. "He was absolutely considered one of the best at his position for quite a few years." Better than Aikman, Moon, Favre, Elway, Marino, Young? I don't think so.

He went to Bufflao because Buffalo thought he was the veteran QB to get them to the playoffs. He had one good year and two lousy ones. He was not missed when he left town. He went to have two more lousy years in Dallas before he was benched for lousy performance.

Bledsoe never had a QB rating 90 or above. He never threw for more than 28 TD's in a season despite playing full season most of his career. He never set any records.

If Ken Anderson is not in the Hall of Fame, Drew Bledsoe isn't going in.

Read this.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15431478/

Keep waiting. I would plan alternative vacation backup because you will not be going to Canton to see Bledsoe enshrined.
Are you completely ********?

1. I am sure Buffalo traded a first round pick to their division rival the Patriots hoping to get one good year out of him.

2. There were years where Bledsoe was better than every QB on that list, and also, he many of those guys were gone at various points in Bledsoe's career.

3. Bledsoe's numbers are FAR superior to those of Ken Anderson. Bad example.

4. I have already established that, purely based on production at the position, Drew Bledsoe was better than Troy Aikman. If Aikman didn't win Super Bowls, he wouldn't be nearly as revered. Not saying Aikman was bad, just saying that Bledsoe in his prime was better.

5. Having never thrown for 28 TD's and still ranking in the top 15 to ever play the position in TD passes speaks for the consistency Bledsoe had over his career.

6. Bledsoe had less talent around him then most of the guys you listed.

7. I AM NOT EVEN SAYING BLEDSOE 100% BELONGS IN THE HALL, JUST THAT THE ARGUMENT CAN BE MADE.

8. There would not be a New England Patriots if it were not for Drew Bledsoe. That has to, and will, count for something.

I have never interacted with you before, but it is very clear why you are thought of so negatively. Learn to read and when you come up with comparisons, find good ones.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im not saying bledsoe belongs in the hall either, all im saying is that he is on the fringe. you cant just ignore all of the stats that he accrued over his career. he was a very very good quarterback for some time, and u have to look at the teams that he played for. most of the new england teams he played for were pathetic, particularly up front and at runing back. and unlike some people, i do have the ability to objectively look at a player from my team (even though he left) and i agree that he is no way a lock for the hall, my only argument is that he should not be immediatley written off like many people here have done
Old 04-13-2007, 12:26 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Are you completely ********?

1. I am sure Buffalo traded a first round pick to their division rival the Patriots hoping to get one good year out of him.

2. There were years where Bledsoe was better than every QB on that list, and also, he many of those guys were gone at various points in Bledsoe's career.

3. Bledsoe's numbers are FAR superior to those of Ken Anderson. Bad example.

4. I have already established that, purely based on production at the position, Drew Bledsoe was better than Troy Aikman. If Aikman didn't win Super Bowls, he wouldn't be nearly as revered. Not saying Aikman was bad, just saying that Bledsoe in his prime was better.

5. Having never thrown for 28 TD's and still ranking in the top 15 to ever play the position in TD passes speaks for the consistency Bledsoe had over his career.

6. Bledsoe had less talent around him then most of the guys you listed.

7. I AM NOT EVEN SAYING BLEDSOE 100% BELONGS IN THE HALL, JUST THAT THE ARGUMENT CAN BE MADE.

8. There would not be a New England Patriots if it were not for Drew Bledsoe. That has to, and will, count for something.

I have never interacted with you before, but it is very clear why you are thought of so negatively. Learn to read and when you come up with comparisons, find good ones.
Hey I said Aikman would never have been in the Hall of Fame yet if it was not for his Super Bowl wins.

Your arguements for Bledsoe can also be applied to Vinnie Testeverde. Does Testeverde belong in the Hall of Fame.

Buffalo traded two first round draft picks for him. Then the after the 2nd year they drafted a QB in the first round. That was an admission they overpayed for Bledsoe. They got one good year of of him. That doesn't help Bledsoe's case.

Bledsoe was benched in both seasons he was with the Cowboys.

Ken Anderson finished in the top career stats when he retired. He also was more regarded when he played than Bledsoe. He also held passing records for a time when he played. Bledsoe never did.

And there would have still been the New England Patriots if Bledsoe didn't play. Last time I checked, Hartford, CT was in New England.

You have a better chance of seeing the real Santa Claus than seeing Drew Bledsoe in the Hall of Fame.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

the patriots only received one first rounder for bledsoe, not two.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
lightsout
Rookie

and he wasn't benched his first year in dallas.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Jay
Pro Bowler

And they would have moved to St. Louis well before Hartford.

0-3
Old 04-13-2007, 03:03 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

Quote:
And they would have moved to St. Louis well before Hartford.

0-3
Um. The Rams moved to St. Louis in 1995. Bledsoe came to the Patriots in 1993. The Patriots were rumoured to be moving in 1992. Your years don't add up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots

And Bill Parcells brought interest back to the franchise, not Bledsoe.

And he aint going into the Hall of Fame. He will be lucky to ever make the top 15 finalists.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Um. The Rams moved to St. Louis in 1995. Bledsoe came to the Patriots in 1993. The Patriots were rumoured to be moving in 1992. Your years don't add up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots

And Bill Parcells brought interest back to the franchise, not Bledsoe.

And he aint going into the Hall of Fame. He will be lucky to ever make the top 15 finalists.
The Patriots possible move to St. Louis ended in 1994, opening the door for another team to move there. It made perfect sense.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:49 PM    (permalink
mfkrush
Rookie

mfkrush hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Let's just be happy he didn't do what Emmit Smith did. Bledsoe retired in his prime
mfkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bledsoe was the face of the franchise for so many years, not parcells. a player, particularly a quarterback, inspires more hope in a fan base, IMO
Old 04-14-2007, 08:47 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Bledsoe was the face of the franchise for so many years, not parcells. a player, particularly a quarterback, inspires more hope in a fan base, IMO

A Hall of Fame bound coach will inspire a franchise more than an immolbile human statue. Bledsoe was never considered to be an exciting QB unless you were a fan of the opposing team and you wanted your star defensive player pad his sack total.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:48 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfkrush View Post
Let's just be happy he didn't do what Emmit Smith did. Bledsoe retired in his prime
Buffalo and Cowboy fans would say Bledsoe's prime past him by several seasons ago.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:14 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Quote:
A Hall of Fame bound coach will inspire a franchise more than an immolbile human statue. Bledsoe was never considered to be an exciting QB unless you were a fan of the opposing team and you wanted your star defensive player pad his sack total.
He was absolutley considered to be an exciting QB. He could throw the deep ball and change a game, and he won us alot more games than we did before he came. When bledsoe went down, many people (myself included, i'll admit it) thought we were done for the year, as he was the centerpiece of our offense, which shows how much he meant to the team before he got hurt.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:20 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He was absolutley considered to be an exciting QB. He could throw the deep ball and change a game, and he won us alot more games than we did before he came. When bledsoe went down, many people (myself included, i'll admit it) thought we were done for the year, as he was the centerpiece of our offense, which shows how much he meant to the team before he got hurt.
The Patriots were 0-2 when Bledsoe went down. That was not a good way to start. His previous 2 years with the Pats weren't his best either.

And how many of the wins were the result of Bill Parcells and Bill Belichuk.

Drew Bledsoe was an above average NFL QB. No doubt about it. Hall of Famer. No way. Notice how the only ones here that are saying he is a Hall of Famer are from Mass. Pure homerism.

Last edited by eacantdraft : 04-14-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
lightsout
Rookie

Quote:
Drew Bledsoe was an above average NFL QB. No doubt about it. Hall of Famer. No way. Notice how the only ones here that are saying he is a Hall of Famer are from Mass. Pure homerism.
i'm from louisiana.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:11 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Quote:
The Patriots were 0-2 when Bledsoe went down. That was not a good way to start. His previous 2 years with the Pats weren't his best either.

And how many of the wins were the result of Bill Parcells and Bill Belichuk.

the pats started out 0-2 when they went to the superbowl in 96-97