Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Jagonsucker
Rookie

Jagonsucker needs more cowbell.
Default What kind of defense do you like better?

4-3 or 3-4...I prefer the 4-3 Just because its easier to stop the run
Jagonsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

The hybrid of flipping back and fourth that the Ravens run.
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:10 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I prefer the 3-4 because there are so many variations that can be played out of it. you can jump anywhere from a base 3-4 to a 5-2 and anything in between
Bigburt63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:12 PM    (permalink
mfkrush
Rookie

mfkrush hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I prefer the 3-4 because the Bears can still get pressure with 3 down linemen. With that added linebacker, it can help against the pass, which we lack compared to the run defense.
mfkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'va always been a 4-3 guy.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfkrush View Post
I prefer the 3-4 because the Bears can still get pressure with 3 down linemen. With that added linebacker, it can help against the pass, which we lack compared to the run defense.
I'm confused. The Bears run a 4-3.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfkrush View Post
Brown, Ogunleye, Harris would never last as starters in a 3-4

Harris would be a DE probably ..could be pretty good cuz hes fast/quick for a 300 pounder

Brown and Ogunleye are better fit for OLB in 3-4s.
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 PM    (permalink
VikesRule
Rookie

VikesRule hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like watching the 3-4 but the 4-3 is usuallly more effective. I guess its harder to find 4 good linebackers and 3 good defensive lineman then vice versa.
VikesRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Yung Flippa
Veteran

Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Yung Flippa hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

they type of defense that is the best is

The Ravens Defense (should be in it's own category)

Baltimore: 7-4
Yung Flippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:34 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3-4 all the way.

4 of the last 5 SBs were won with 3-4 defenses.

Its has no inherit flaws in its structure. It can take on Air Coryell, WCO, run heavy teams, etc. It has high success with every type of offense.

Its the most adjustable defense. And especially in today's league, adjustability and the ability to play anyone at a high level is critical to success.

My personal favorite scheme is the BP 2 gap 3-4. I won't go into detail, Ive done it plenty of times before.

Theres very few 4-3 schemes that I like. John Fox's 4-3 is good. I like Jacksonville's 4-3, but its not necessarily the scheme I like, moreso the player makeup.

To me, a great defensive scheme can't live and die on one thing. It has the ability to everything, everything at a high level. Fox's 4-3, BP's 3-4....those schemes possess that ability.

Blitz heavy teams live and die with it, Tampa 2 teams suffer against the power run game. 46 is vulnerable to WCO. Every scheme has some sort of weakness outside of the 2 gap 3-4.

The only set that can take it on is the 2 TE run heavy offense, but even that set is generally shut down by the 3-4. If you have a big hulking oline, your run game will suffer because they won't be fast enough to stop the edge rush of the OLBs, and the Guards won't be quick enough to pull on the ILBs.

If your oline is small (ZBS), you'll get pushed around by the front 3.

If you have something in the middle, ILB blitzes can disrupt your pass protection (attack the smaller OGs needed to thrive against the 3-4).

At its peak, no scheme is better.

Of course, theres 4-3 teams that play like 3-4 teams, and vice versa. So at the end of the day, its just a formation. But you get what Im saying. This is a gross simplification. We can talk forever on this subject if we wanted to.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:45 PM    (permalink
portermvp84
Pro Bowler

portermvp84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like the 4-3.

Thanks to jackalope
portermvp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:47 PM    (permalink
DraftMasterG
Rookie

DraftMasterG needs more cowbell.

I prefer the 4-3 because that means you have 4 more people that are fat and can push the line back.
DraftMasterG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am a 4-3 guy myself. Its what I know best and played in my whole life.

4-3 has more potential at dominance imo.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.
Default hmm

Wow if you miss a chance to post in a thread here, wait two weeks and one that is exactly the same will be posted.

For real tho, I like seeing the big DT's stuff the run, so it's the 4-3 for me!

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:00 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A big misconception is that the 4-3 is better against the run.

Ive posted before, if you compare body mass of the front 7, the 3-4 is actually thicker and more stoute against the run.

Statistics back this up as well.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:06 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

Ive posted before, if you compare body mass of the front 7, the 3-4 is actually thicker and more stoute against the run.

I think it's near impossible to say the 4-3 or 3-4 is better against the run. There is such a huge amount of factors that effect this that comparing the two is pointless.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:09 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
I think it's near impossible to say the 4-3 or 3-4 is better against the run. There is such a huge amount of factors that effect this that comparing the two is pointless.
Not really. Look at the prototypical body masses of each position on each scheme, and add em up.

Also, look at the top rushing defenses of the past 4 years. Mostly dominated by 3-4 teams, even though the 4-3 front dominates the league.

If you look up on google the weaknesses/benefits of the 3-4, most sites will also tell you its better against the run.

Again, this is a gross simplification, and of course player personnell dictates whats what, but as long as we're generalizing with a thread like this, its fair to make general statements.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:09 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

Look at the Jags though. they got 2 great DT's and they stuff the run like nobodys business.

4-3 is better against the run. stats might not indicate that though, because there is more big running plays against the 4-3 then the 3-4. But overall the 4-3 is definitly better then the run (but obviously the players involve matter as well)
Old 04-13-2007, 11:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
Look at the Jags though. they got 2 great DT's and they stuff the run like nobodys business.

4-3 is better against the run. stats might not indicate that though, because there is more big running plays against the 4-3 then the 3-4. But overall the 4-3 is definitly better then the run (but obviously the players involve matter as well)
The Jags are the exception to the rule. And even then, they weren't better than SD or Pitt over the past 3 years in stopping the run.

Its tough enough finding one mammoth DT who can man the NT in the 3-4.

Finding 2 of em in the 4-3 is damn near impossible.

I don't see how we can say the 4-3 is definately better against the run when top run defense stats have been dominated by 3-4 fronts for the past 4 to 5 years.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:14 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the one that helps green bay win...so 4-3
even though the 3-4 sounds so sexy!

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:21 PM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yung Flippa View Post
they type of defense that is the best is

The Ravens Defense (should be in it's own category)
"Organized Chaos" is the best defense there is!!!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
EdReedUnstoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:21 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco99
Veteran

Denver Bronco99 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

4-3 with 2 big DTs to keep blockers off the MLB...and then 2 play making DEs
Old 04-13-2007, 11:38 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like a 3-4 better. Get some quick OLBs, some stout ILBs, and a mammoth NT and you're set (Don't forget about the talent part, of course).
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:42 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3-4. i like how u have big fast OLB's and huge dlinemen.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

4-3 zone defense

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote