Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-25-2012, 06:36 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get the hate for it either, and I especially don't get the hate from someone who hasn't even seen it, but some people want their opinions fed to them by other people before giving something a shot and the rest of us want to experience it for ourselves before judging it first.

To each their own I suppose.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Because I know Sorkin, and he's ******* preachy, political and full of himself. It's hard to ignore.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:56 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Which is completely and utterly wrong, and just more of Sorkin's narcissistic complex telling him how great his generation is. Too bad the Baby Boomers are easily the worst.
My gut reaction is to agree with this, but we see an incompetent cohort group like them every 70 years or so. These things go in cycles.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Because I know Sorkin, and he's ******* preachy, political and full of himself. It's hard to ignore.
So the show is already ****** and you hate Sorkin.. why are you going to watch it? It seems like a waste of your time.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
I don't really understand the hate for the newsroom either and im not a sorkin fanboy or anything like that. I thought it was a good pilot and daniels' opening diatribe was pretty spot on imo. Ill definitely continue watching this whole season unless it goes off the deep end completely. I could see how some of it may have been off-putting and it was a bit cheesy at times but all in all i thought it was interesting, had good dialogue (generally), has a good premise, and has the potential for some great character development.
Except that it wasn't, at all.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Ugh. This is going to be a thing for you all season isn't it Corey?

Old 06-25-2012, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
So the show is already ****** and you hate Sorkin.. why are you going to watch it? It seems like a waste of your time.
I'm going to watch the pilot episode because I once had promise for the show, seeing as how I'm a journalist and have been hoping for a while that a serious drama about journalism would emerge. I just don't have high hopes. Yes, I can form an opinion of my own, but when there's this much critical backlash to a new show, I am going to expect it to be warranted.

I don't hate Sorkin exactly, I'm just lukewarm on his stuff. If his agenda is political and preachy rather than a serious, genuine attempt to dramatize the industry, then obviously, that turns me off in a hurry.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When they're trying to force that down everyone's throats, even though it isn't true, yes. Add on to the fact that we're going to have to deal with a Sorkin written romantic subplot (the Harriet/Albie one on Studio 60 was AWFUL), it's going to be annoying. There are some positives to it, such as Allison Pill and the acting in general, but the writing is the problem.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 06-25-2012, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
I'm going to watch the pilot episode because I once had promise for the show, seeing as how I'm a journalist and have been hoping for a while that a serious drama about journalism would emerge. I just don't have high hopes. Yes, I can form an opinion of my own, but when there's this much critical backlash to a new show, I am going to expect it to be warranted.

I don't hate Sorkin exactly, I'm just lukewarm on his stuff. If his agenda is political and preachy rather than a serious, genuine attempt to dramatize the industry, then obviously, that turns me off in a hurry.
You mean exactly like he did in The Social Network, which you decide to call overrated just because you can?

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 06-25-2012, 07:11 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

You seem to genuinely dislike it. If that is the case, why would you continue to watch it?

Old 06-25-2012, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
You seem to genuinely dislike it. If that is the case, why would you continue to watch it?
Because there's still potential in it.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 06-25-2012, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
You mean exactly like he did in The Social Network, which you decide to call overrated just because you can?
It IS overrated. And I already told you my opinion of that film will forever be scarred because the girl I watched it with is a *****.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
It IS overrated. And I already told you my opinion of that film will forever be scarred because the girl I watched it with is a *****.
Hey, I saw Inglorious Basterds with a horrible woman and I'm able to separate such things. It's something that must be done, Social Network is a goddamn masterpiece goddammit.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 06-25-2012, 07:16 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Hey, I saw Inglorious Basterds with a horrible woman and I'm able to separate such things. It's something that must be done, Social Network is a goddamn masterpiece goddammit.
That's easy to forgive because Inglorious Basterds is fantastic.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have no idea why people watch shows they dislike..............................

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post

I ******* love The Wire. 8th viewing in procession.
Can't believe I waited until this past Winter to watch it. GOAT.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:14 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Except that it wasn't, at all.
Credit to Daniels for the delivery, but I had to shudder at a couple Sorkin moments in that monologue.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:10 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just got done watching Newsroom. It was solid. I too am familiar with a newsroom as I've got a degree in journalism (not as familiar with the broadcast side though) so I was intrigued by it. It can be a little preachy, but it's not too bad. I do disagree with Sorkin's whole "this generation blows" philosophy. It may seem like it but there aren't more stupid people in this generation than any other. The number of stupid people is consistent throughout time. The only difference today is social media gives every stupid person a voice so we believe there are more today than there were the last generation or the one before that.

I do not like retroactive news stories at all. There is just so much more creativity and interesting things that could be done by creating original news stories. Are they planning to stay with this theme? I really hope not. It's basically just re-stating everything we already know in a more dramatic fashion. I really hope this isn't permanent.

I feel there's a lot of potential but the show has a long away to go. I did enjoy that 80% of the story is focused in and around the Newsroom. Obviously it shouldn't be surprising that it is but my biggest fear is it would be geared toward the non-news elements. The end sucked though.

Anyone who has been in a news room or around one knows that it provides one of the most dramatic moments and experiences you can have outside of actually movies or television.

I'll be tuning in again next week for sure.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:40 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Just got done watching Newsroom. It was solid. I too am familiar with a newsroom as I've got a degree in journalism (not as familiar with the broadcast side though) so I was intrigued by it. It can be a little preachy, but it's not too bad. I do disagree with Sorkin's whole "this generation blows" philosophy. It may seem like it but there aren't more stupid people in this generation than any other. The number of stupid people is consistent throughout time. The only difference today is social media gives every stupid person a voice so we believe there are more today than there were the last generation or the one before that.

I do not like retroactive news stories at all. There is just so much more creativity and interesting things that could be done by creating original news stories. Are they planning to stay with this theme? I really hope not. It's basically just re-stating everything we already know in a more dramatic fashion. I really hope this isn't permanent.

I feel there's a lot of potential but the show has a long away to go. I did enjoy that 80% of the story is focused in and around the Newsroom. Obviously it shouldn't be surprising that it is but my biggest fear is it would be geared toward the non-news elements. The end sucked though.

Anyone who has been in a news room or around one knows that it provides one of the most dramatic moments and experiences you can have outside of actually movies or television.

I'll be tuning in again next week for sure.
I've worked for Australia's biggest newspaper (wooo Journo degrees!) and it got pretty heated in the few hours leading up to print, and I can only assume that drama is only amped up during a live broadcast where the story is breaking while you are on air.

I'm going to keep watching, but I'm not super excited for the future of the show.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:42 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh who gives a **** about the message, I dont agree with a lot of it, but I still thought that it was a fantastic show. Awesome pilot, very much looking forward to seeing more of it.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:45 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

The show is completely reliant on this message, that's why it's so crucial.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 06-26-2012, 02:48 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

What message are you referring to?

Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

The whole this generation is so flawed thing, and the lack of TRUE/REAL JOURNALISTS IN THE WORLD. Plus, retroactively reporting a story and saying "the media so should have done it like this" is just ridiculous. I would probably have enjoyed the show a lot more if it came up with some fictional thing, but Christ was that over the top.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 06-26-2012, 02:52 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well it appears that it doesnt mean a thing to me, given the fact that Im fairly depressed that I cant watch episode 2 at this very moment. Like, right now.

Also of note, I could listen to Emily Mortimer all day.

Also of also of note, a postscripts postscript so to speak, True Blood is such a complete mess these days. I dont think I like a single character in that show anymore. Even a cute british vampire did relatively nothing for me.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote