Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-11-2012, 10:25 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was okay, but the one they made a decade ago was better. If they were gonna reboot it they should've made it worth while (like Batman Begins), or had it so it could plug into the Avengers movies...But no Sony owns it so it can't plug into the Avengers, and they just did it to make money b/c of the brand name that Spider-Man is.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Enjoy pretentious movies?
Eh, I suppose.

I'm not sure how often one might describe Element of Crime, Europa, The Kingdom, Dancer in the Dark, and Dogville as pretentious.

Breaking Waves, The Idiots, and Antichrist, perhaps, but they're still all tremendously directed films.

It'd be tough to consider David Lynch any less pretentious than von Trier.

I do, without question, truly enjoy highly experimental, artistic films that provoke thought. If that becomes labeled pretentious, then so be it and I'm guilty as charged.

Last edited by phlysac : 07-11-2012 at 10:57 PM.
phlysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:56 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dogville isn't pretentious? Come on.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Meh... I really dislike the Coens, No Country for Old Men is certainly the movie that I most wanted my time back after watching it, I honestly don't think it had a single redeeming feature. I wont say it was the worst movie ever but it was certainly the single worst viewing of my life because it was apparently great.

I've accepted that I apparently didn't get it and that on some hardcore artsy level it probably has some symbolism that makes it great or something but for me it was a bunch of truly unlikeable characters following an insanely predictable outcome without showing any development and then not even having an ending whilst going forever. Basically it was 2 hours of nothing but watching boots walk on ground and crap like that!

As I said though I just don't get what was good about it and obviously went in with high expectations given that it was award winning and generally heralded. It does have the honour of being one of the very few movies that I genuinely disliked.

Every other Coen movie I've seen has fallen somewhere between average and slightly above average but NCFOM was awful!

yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 PM    (permalink
Ngatachance92
Veteran

Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, this whole time I thought No Country was awesome just to find it actually sucks... Thanks for clearing that up for me Wog.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Dogville isn't pretentious? Come on.
I won't argue your opinion. I don't agree that it is a "self-important" film. At least not any more self-important than many films listed in the last several posts.

von Trier utilizes many techniques that are far from the "Hollywood" norm. I view it as highly artistic. Most media done in an overtly artistic fashion tends to be labeled pretentious, and I'm fine with that.

But, like I said, I can't really argue your opinion. Inland Empire is one of the more "pretentious" movies I've ever viewed, and I absolutely loved it. So, you might be right, but I don't have a preconceived "formula" for what I like.

Last edited by phlysac : 07-11-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:17 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No Country for Old Men is one of my favorite movies ever, so I just can't agree with you.

But then they came out with A Serious Man and I probably felt the same way you did about NCFOM. That one just could not get me interested, at all.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:17 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NCFOM, True Grit, Big Lebowski....how are they not good?

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
NCFOM, True Grit, Big Lebowski....how are they not good?
Not to mention O' Brother Where Art Thou, Fargo, Barton Fink, Miller's Crossing, and Raising Arizona.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nobody mentioning Blood Simple yet is upsetting.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:21 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not to mention Raising Arizona and Fargo but I suppose those are terrible films as well.

BTW, I just realized Aaron Paul is in Van Wilder.

EDIT: Well that escalated quickly.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Ngatachance92
Veteran

Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wogtalia can't be a real person...
Old 07-11-2012, 11:24 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

more like wogFAILia amirite?

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 07-11-2012, 11:34 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually just realized I never saw True Grit. But all of the other Coen movies mentioned on this page are indeed very good.

Other good directors: Edgar Wright, Rian Johnson, Tom McCarthy, Ben Affleck, Spike Jonze
Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
I actually just realized I never saw True Grit. But all of the other Coen movies mentioned on this page are indeed very good.

Other good directors: Edgar Wright, Rian Johnson, Tom McCarthy, Ben Affleck, Spike Jonze
One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong!

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:50 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
He certainly does. The Fountain is so incredibly underrated. Such a brilliant film.
I love the Fountain but it lands firmly behind Pi and Requiem for me. On par with the Wrestler...and I still haven't seen Black Swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
My favorite living directors...

David Lynch
Takashe Miike
Darren Aronofsky
Lars von Trier
Aronofsky's my favorite and I love Miike, but von Trier is awful. He's like modern art in movie form.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:58 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong!
He has his comfort spots and maybe just a tad of favor in casting leads, but it has yet to hurt him (awaiting how he does with Argo). His direction has been quite good, in my mind.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:03 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ben Affleck is a good director.

another one that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Sam Mendes and Chan-wook Park.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:07 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Good call on Mendes. I usually don't get excited for Bond movies, but there are so many good pieces involved with the next one.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

go watch True Grit now!

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I havent seen True Grit either, I don't doubt that it's an awesome film, just doesn't look interesting to me.But I'll probably watch it at some point in the near future.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:49 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Meh... I really dislike the Coens, No Country for Old Men is certainly the movie that I most wanted my time back after watching it, I honestly don't think it had a single redeeming feature. I wont say it was the worst movie ever but it was certainly the single worst viewing of my life because it was apparently great.

I've accepted that I apparently didn't get it and that on some hardcore artsy level it probably has some symbolism that makes it great or something but for me it was a bunch of truly unlikeable characters following an insanely predictable outcome without showing any development and then not even having an ending whilst going forever. Basically it was 2 hours of nothing but watching boots walk on ground and crap like that!

As I said though I just don't get what was good about it and obviously went in with high expectations given that it was award winning and generally heralded. It does have the honour of being one of the very few movies that I genuinely disliked.

Every other Coen movie I've seen has fallen somewhere between average and slightly above average but NCFOM was awful!

Fincher, Scorcese and Nolan would be my current favourites. Spielberg's movies that he directs are generally very good, he just sells his name to a boatload of awful movies so it's hard to filter through the crap and find which are actually Spielberg movies and which ones he just sold his name to.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:44 AM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ben Affleck is an awesome director.

Don't think anyone's mentioned Guy Ritchie yet either. From a pure entertainment point of view he's easily one of my favourites.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:08 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Best Living director is also the Best of all Time: Tommy Wiseau

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
The Best Living director is also the Best of all Time: Tommy Wiseau
Better than Ed Wood?

Last edited by phlysac : 07-12-2012 at 09:22 AM.