Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 07-16-2012, 02:57 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some names that came up the I feel like might be a fit.

Quote:
Cincinnati

Drew Frey, SS – Frey is an intelligent play-making safety. Entering his fourth season as a starter, Frey will become the leader of the Bearcats defense. As a junior Frey recorded 73 tackles, 8 pass defensed and 2 interceptions. At 6’3″ Frey has not only the size but also the athleticism to project to the NFL.

Frey was his high schools valedictorian, so he definitely has the brains to pick up more complex defensive schemes.

Walter Stewart, DE/OLB – Cincinnati has produced a number of good NFL pass rushers over the past five years including Connor Barwin and it looks like Walter Stewart will be the next one to make the jump. Stewart is explosive off the edge, thanks in part to a very good first step.

At 6’4″ 248 pounds he has ideal size to play 3-4 OLB, but he also is big enough to play with his hand in the dirt as a 4-3 DE. Stewart recorded only six sacks as a Junior but, led the Big East in forced fumbles with four, and both numbers should improve this season. Stewart is an under the radar player right now who could rocket up draft boards as he piles up the sacks this year.

Ryan Griffin, TE, UConn - Griffin is UConn’s leading returning receiver after posting 33 catches for 499 yards and 3 touchdowns last season. In a passing offense that is anemic at times those numbers are pretty impressive. Griffin provides a huge target (6’6″ 248 lbs) and better than average speed for a TE. Griffin is able to stretch the field averaging 15.1 yards per reception.

There aren’t many quality TE prospects in college football this season, so Griffin’s name will certainly be in the discussion during draft time.

Mario Benavides, OC, Louisville – Benavides is perhaps the best interior lineman in the Big East. He has been a starter since his redshirt freshman season and has consistantly improved into one of the best run blockers in the conference. Benavides has become one of the leaders on the Louisville football team, developing a leadership trait that is imperative for centers to have.

NFL quality centers are hard to come by, making Benavides a mid-round draftable prospect.

DC Jefferson, TE, Rutgers – Jefferson was once a highly recruited quarterback who was moved to tight end prior to 2009 season. As you would expect it has taken Jefferson time to adjust to the position, especially when it comes to blocking. However, Jefferson has improved his route running and has begun to make more of an impact in the passing game last season. With Jefferson it’s all about projectability and what he could become. His 6’5″ 260 pound frame makes him a mismatch in coverage and while he is still very raw, look for further improvement this season.

The tight end position is becoming valued a lot more in the NFL and expect Jefferson to get a look.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:07 PM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2013 Draftg

I think you are more knowledgeable with more prospects and that great.....I just kind of look at the top 200 and go from there. But I do think lets see how the season goes and we will see what direction we need to go. i think FS and OLB and maybe a QB...u never know.
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sheesh if Margus Hunt falls to us next year we shouldn't blink, breathe, or pause. Just walk the card up to the front.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DXIV8LYURsc[/media]
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:28 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Couple Big 10 guys I have my eye on.

Gholston has that size we covet when looking at 5-techs.

Hankins is a guy I really like. Big body and knows how to use it.

Travis Frederick has position versatility and is a good pulling lineman...screams what we need.

Adams certainly fits the bill with the type of corners we've been targetting. Mid round guy to compete with Scandrick.

Quote:
William Gholston, junior defensive end, Michigan State: At 6-7, 275 pounds, Gholston looks more like a burly NBA power forward than a football player — and that's a compliment. He's a strong, impressive athlete who finished with 70 tackles and 16 tackles for loss last year. Though he was suspended for a game for the aforementioned punch, he could stand to be a little aggressive vs. opposing blockers between the whistles. But, barring injury, he's still a favorite for Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.

Johnathan Hankins, junior defensive tackle, Ohio State: Plum big at 6-3 and 320 pounds — although his belly suggests that he's really around 340 or 350 — Hankins was one reason Nebraska last year abandoned its power game for a spread offense during its 34-27 win. NU's linemen couldn't really move him. Hankins finished with 67 tackles last year — 14 for loss — and figures to be an early entrant into the draft. Hankins isn't a technician at his spot, but most guys aren't after their sophomore years. He has the upside to be an All-American this year. In fact — chalk it up.

Travis Frederick, junior interior offensive line, Wisconsin: Another piece of that terrific Badger Bulge, this 6-4, 330-pounder can play guard, center or even tackle in a pinch. He's one of the last guys in the country you want to see pulling around the corner.

Johnny Adams, senior defensive back, Michigan State: After 28 starts, the 5-11, 175-pounder has eight career interceptions and 17 pass breakups. In MSU's spring game, he also played wide receiver and should see time there in the fall. Adams can jump, and he's physical enough to make sure wide receivers don't get an angle for that easy slant pattern.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:44 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want to officially get a hype train started for either of the LSU Safeties to end up here. We should have a legit shot at either one, and I would be ecstatic with either one. We've passed on Safety for too long and next year we can finally get a stud back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:33 PM    (permalink
TheFlash (CDCB)
Rookie

TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I want to officially get a hype train started for either of the LSU Safeties to end up here. We should have a legit shot at either one, and I would be ecstatic with either one. We've passed on Safety for too long and next year we can finally get a stud back there.
No no no, D-Unit has it right. We need to continue to build the OL and/or get a NT in next year's draft. We got flashy with the outside positions, now it's time to build a good team from the inside out. Our cornerbacks and wide receivers should be set for a while, now we need to go after the big uglies. I hope Garrett and Stephen adopt that philosophy more than Jerry has in year's past. I like what we have at 5-tech between Hatcher, Lissemore, Crawford, and Geathers, but NT is a different story if a stud comes along, and so is center or guard. We need to beef up those positions.

I wouldn't mind an OLB in the 1st round to groom as Ware's future replacement, but I also wouldn't mind switching back to the 4-3 if we simply can't find Ware's replacement because it isn't going to be some easy task, and the rest of our personnel probably better suits a 4-3 anyways.

I don't particularly want a safety if a quality player at the already mentioned positions is available because for one I want to beef up the trenches, and two we already have enough resources placed into the secondary.

I'm TheFlash by the way. Longtime reader, just made an account.
TheFlash (CDCB) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:46 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlash View Post
No no no, D-Unit has it right. We need to continue to build the OL and/or get a NT in next year's draft. We got flashy with the outside positions, now it's time to build a good team from the inside out. Our cornerbacks and wide receivers should be set for a while, now we need to go after the big uglies. I hope Garrett and Stephen adopt that philosophy more than Jerry has in year's past. I like what we have at 5-tech between Hatcher, Lissemore, Crawford, and Geathers, but NT is a different story if a stud comes along, and so is center or guard. We need to beef up those positions.

I wouldn't mind an OLB in the 1st round to groom as Ware's future replacement, but I also wouldn't mind switching back to the 4-3 if we simply can't find Ware's replacement because it isn't going to be some easy task, and the rest of our personnel probably better suits a 4-3 anyways.

I don't particularly want a safety if a quality player at the already mentioned positions is available because for one I want to beef up the trenches, and two we already have enough resources placed into the secondary.

I'm TheFlash by the way. Longtime reader, just made an account.

We can't continue to trot out garbage at the Safety position. It's far too important in today's game to keep over looking it. It's not a flashy position by any means, those guys are focal points of the defense and generals in the secondary. Maybe it's just me but I'm tired of having terrible safety play year after year after year, then signing guys who should not be starters for any other team.

We have a replacement for Ware in Butler IMO, and we can target O-line in FA and rounds 2-4 and still get quality interior guys. We only need interior anyway not the entire line.

Btw welcome to the forums! Hope you stick around.

Quote:
Old 07-28-2012, 11:55 PM    (permalink
TheFlash (CDCB)
Rookie

TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFlash (CDCB) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We can't continue to trot out garbage at the Safety position. It's far too important in today's game to keep over looking it. It's not a flashy position by any means, those guys are focal points of the defense and generals in the secondary. Maybe it's just me but I'm tired of having terrible safety play year after year after year, then signing guys who should not be starters for any other team.

We have a replacement for Ware in Butler IMO, and we can target O-line in FA and rounds 2-4 and still get quality interior guys. We only need interior anyway not the entire line.

Btw welcome to the forums! Hope you stick around.
Butler can't play full time, he's simply too small. He'll get gobbled up by quality left tackles if he's playing full time. Besides, he's going to be a free agent next year and I doubt we re-sign him. He'll go to a team where he gets a nice contract with a much better shot to start.

As for the interior line suggestion.... we've been doing that for the past decade and it hasn't worked. We've done OK with some free agents (Kosier, Leonard Davis), but we haven't hit home runs, and name one guy we've drafted in the middle rounds that we've developed in house and has become a quality player... Exactly. Now, we may have something with Leary, but that remains to be seen.

Sometimes you just need to cut the crap and use a quality resource on one of the "non-glamor" positions. I wouldn't have a problem with Eric Reid, but if we continue to go the route of average free agents and picking guys like Arkin for the interior OL, we will continue to have problems and being saying the same things every off-season as we watch the playoffs from home.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:11 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

We still can't pin us in a hole and say "well we have to take a G/C in the first round and that's it". Is it an option? Sure. But it certainly doesn't need to be the only need or area to draft there. Leonard Davis was a homerun FA pick-up, and just because we have drafted bust in the mid rounds on O-lineman doesn't mean you just quit trying.

A ton of our mid round picks have been bust, that isn't saying much really. I also don't consider rounds 2-3 mid round picks, that is more 4-6. There are tons of quality good players there. There isn't always a Guard or Center worth a late 1st round pick every draft anyway, it may or may not be one there.

It would be a huge mistake to pass on a Safety who projects as a long term starter and a future pro bowler for a solid Guard prospect who isn't anything special. Both positions are huge needs.

Quote:
Old 07-29-2012, 08:10 AM    (permalink
TheFlash (CDCB)
Rookie

Quote:
We still can't pin us in a hole and say "well we have to take a G/C in the first round and that's it". Is it an option? Sure. But it certainly doesn't need to be the only need or area to draft there. Leonard Davis was a homerun FA pick-up, and just because we have drafted bust in the mid rounds on O-lineman doesn't mean you just quit trying.

A ton of our mid round picks have been bust, that isn't saying much really. I also don't consider rounds 2-3 mid round picks, that is more 4-6. There are tons of quality good players there. There isn't always a Guard or Center worth a late 1st round pick every draft anyway, it may or may not be one there.

It would be a huge mistake to pass on a Safety who projects as a long term starter and a future pro bowler for a solid Guard prospect who isn't anything special. Both positions are huge needs.
I agree. Alex Mack is a free agent next year, if we could somehow find the money to sign him, we'd be in DAMN GOOD shape.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:36 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a feeling our lack of WR depth will come back to bite us this season. Right now it's UDFA Andre Holmes and then a bunch of guys who are too small to play outside in our offense. We're relying too heavily on Miles and Dez staying healthy for the entire season, and TBQH that's a long shot. I was open to drafting another big, physical outside receiver somewhere between 2-4 last season... but this year I think it's more likely, especially if Miles has another disappointing year due to injuries/drops. We need to protect ourselves if he can't live up to his deal.

A guy I really like is Da'Rick Rogers. The first time I saw him play last year I had visions of he and Dez on opposite sides. He's exactly what we look for in our outside receivers, big/strong vertical threat with the ability to break tackles and eat up YAC. He's also got some impressive ball skills and routinely overmatches CBs on jump ball situations. I'm not sure what his range is come draft day, but with a potentially deep WR class I see some draft services listing him as a 2nd Rounder... which would be ideal.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:22 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
I have a feeling our lack of WR depth will come back to bite us this season. Right now it's UDFA Andre Holmes and then a bunch of guys who are too small to play outside in our offense. We're relying too heavily on Miles and Dez staying healthy for the entire season, and TBQH that's a long shot. I was open to drafting another big, physical outside receiver somewhere between 2-4 last season... but this year I think it's more likely, especially if Miles has another disappointing year due to injuries/drops. We need to protect ourselves if he can't live up to his deal.

A guy I really like is Da'Rick Rogers. The first time I saw him play last year I had visions of he and Dez on opposite sides. He's exactly what we look for in our outside receivers, big/strong vertical threat with the ability to break tackles and eat up YAC. He's also got some impressive ball skills and routinely overmatches CBs on jump ball situations. I'm not sure what his range is come draft day, but with a potentially deep WR class I see some draft services listing him as a 2nd Rounder... which would be ideal.

well rogers just got suspeneded indefinitely, so doubt cowboys touch him
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:09 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
well rogers just got suspeneded indefinitely, so doubt cowboys touch him
Yea I saw that, too bad.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post

There is some cause for some uncertainty down the road having two starters that are injury prone and one that could potentially be a ticking time bomb but it would be hard to justify a pick in the first three rounds considering the other needs on this team.

The team is in desperate need for quality lineman to maintain a high success level on offense. Believe it or not there will be a day when Tony won't be athletic enough to dodge free rushers and it won't matter who is catching the ball if we can't keep the QB upright. Barrett Jones or Khaled Holmes would be nice targets in the first two rounds.

Rob's defense is still in need of an athletic center fielder to compliment Sensy. Hopefully Barry Church can fill in as the starting SS while Gerald continues to roam as FS, but is that really the combo you want on the back end ? This draft looks like it could be potentially stocked with an athletic breed of prospects. Tony Jefferson has a lot of potential as does Reid and TJ McDonald not to mention the draft is top heavy on lanky CB's who may be able to convert.

The team may be in a position that Ryan will have to replace Spencer at starter on the strong side. At this point do we know if Wilbur will be ready come this point next year? Also, how much longer can Ratliff take the beating at NT and is the combo of Lissemore/ Brent good enough to take over. What will Coleman be able to provide next year if Lissemore or Crawford can't step into a starting role?

The earliest I can see I WR being taken is the 4th round unless it is just a value the team can't pass up. There are just more pressing needs imo, it is still early but I think the team will be able to develop one of these young guys into a solid slot WR and if it comes to it Jerry will open the check book if it comes to finding a starter.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2013 MOCK 1.0

1. Travis Fredrick, LG - Wisconsin - 6'4, 330

Rex Ryan got his fair share of Toys this year. I expect Jason Garrett to reward himself next year. Garrett is close with ex-Wisconsin OC, Paul Chryst who knows all about this kid. This is a pick that I can see happening.

2. Shawn Williams, S - Georgia - 6'1, 218

I really thought he would be a sleeper, but Scouts Inc just released their Top 50 and he was there. Both he and Rambo would be good picks, but I think Rambo is gone. I LOVE this safety class! LOVE IT! That's why I don't think it would be wise to go there in Round 1. Take advantage of the depth. But heck... the 1st round studs are such STUDS!... so I wouldn't be mad at all if we got one of them at all.

3. Braxston Cave, C - Notre Dame - 6'3, 315

Sleeper? I don't know. But he's a strong ox and has the look of a pro Center. Let's see how his season goes. Either way, the Cowboys need to establish power on the OL.

4. Ray Graham, RB - Pitt - 5'09, 192

Felix the Flop is a FA. Say Bye Bye. Graham is only on the board here because he tore his ACL in Oct of last year. He'll have one year to prove himself healthy, but the kid is mezmorizing. Paul Chryst is the new HC at Pitt and we all know that Garrett is close to Chryst.

5. Brandon Williams, NT - Missouri Southern State - 6'2, 320

My sleeper special. He might rise really high and this may end up being a pipe dream value, but he's not high on any lists yet, so it's fair game. This guy is thick, hungry and has the kind of attitude that Garrett loves.

D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:28 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Wow D, you killed this mock. Wisconsin interior offensive lineman? Me likey. Those are the types of players we need. Guard, Safety and Center to start things is right on target, though I'm with you on if we take a Safety 1st I would be happy also.

Ray Graham is a phenomanal pick. We'll need another RB for sure, maybe 2 more guys, and this guy can do everything well. Amazing vision, tough, runs hard inside, isn't afraid of contact, has a nice burst, I fell in love watching him pre-injury and he looked better then Shady. In fact I think you may have just gotten me to the point where I'll be hoping we get him for the next 8 months.

Job well done here.

Quote:
Old 08-31-2012, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like it. Frederick is going to be a beast, IMO.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:23 PM    (permalink
cmd34
Rookie

cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shawn Williams, a player I like, is more suited to play Strong Safety IMO and we have two Strong Safety types in Church and Sensabaugh. I really want a true Free Safety for our D.
cmd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:37 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd34 View Post
Shawn Williams, a player I like, is more suited to play Strong Safety IMO and we have two Strong Safety types in Church and Sensabaugh. I really want a true Free Safety for our D.
Yeah, there are better fits out there for FS. Such a stud though.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Mock

1)Barrett Jones 6'5 305 C/G, Alabama-Simply seems like the RKG that JG is looking for, has played every position on the line in college. Very smart player who is a solid technician with a frame to get bigger and stronger. JG still has a very good relationship with Saban and will steer coach in the right direction.

2)Jackson Jeffcoat 6'4 250 OLB, Texas- Garrett always talks about Cowboys tradition, why not bring in the son of a former teammate? With Spencer and Butler eligible for FA the OLB position could look very thin come the offseason. Jeffcoat is a legit 3-4 prospect with experience dropping into coverage at UT. Energy player with a nice motor that can contribute right away.

3)Xavier Rhodes 6'1 215 S/CB, Florida St-My sleeper candidate at safety who might be on the rise. Plays corner but has experience dropping into deep zone coverage. Solid athlete who can play the ball in the air and isn't afraid to support the run. Downside is he has been nicked up his entire college career.

4)Travis Bond 6'6 345 OG, UNC-HUGE man with the ability to blow lineman off of the ball. At this point get by using his size and will need time to improve footwork and leverage but has good athleticism for his size. The 4th round has been the range the team has pulled the trigger on lineman in the past and probably will continue to develop in this range.

5)Collin Klein 6'5 220 QB, Kansas St-Gamer with prototypical size and very good athleticism. Needs time to have his mechanics reworked and to slow down his reads. Tends to trust his legs more then his arm but has shown he can get the ball vertical when he has an open target. Garrett values a developmental QB and swallowed his pride by offering McGee in cuts. Klein is a good project who could surprise as the heir apparent to Romo.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:29 PM    (permalink
cmd34
Rookie

cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witten4HOF View Post
1)Barrett Jones 6'5 305 C/G, Alabama-Simply seems like the RKG that JG is looking for, has played every position on the line in college. Very smart player who is a solid technician with a frame to get bigger and stronger. JG still has a very good relationship with Saban and will steer coach in the right direction.

2)Jackson Jeffcoat 6'4 250 OLB, Texas- Garrett always talks about Cowboys tradition, why not bring in the son of a former teammate? With Spencer and Butler eligible for FA the OLB position could look very thin come the offseason. Jeffcoat is a legit 3-4 prospect with experience dropping into coverage at UT. Energy player with a nice motor that can contribute right away.

3)Xavier Rhodes 6'1 215 S/CB, Florida St-My sleeper candidate at safety who might be on the rise. Plays corner but has experience dropping into deep zone coverage. Solid athlete who can play the ball in the air and isn't afraid to support the run. Downside is he has been nicked up his entire college career.

4)Travis Bond 6'6 345 OG, UNC-HUGE man with the ability to blow lineman off of the ball. At this point get by using his size and will need time to improve footwork and leverage but has good athleticism for his size. The 4th round has been the range the team has pulled the trigger on lineman in the past and probably will continue to develop in this range.

5)Collin Klein 6'5 220 QB, Kansas St-Gamer with prototypical size and very good athleticism. Needs time to have his mechanics reworked and to slow down his reads. Tends to trust his legs more then his arm but has shown he can get the ball vertical when he has an open target. Garrett values a developmental QB and swallowed his pride by offering McGee in cuts. Klein is a good project who could surprise as the heir apparent to Romo.
After 1st 2 rounds I would pass out so the rest of the draft wouldn't matter.
cmd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:56 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Brandon Jenkins is out for the season with a left leg injury. It will be interesting to find out exactly what the injury is and if he will apply for an injury redshirt or rehab for the draft. Still could be on the on the radar as a value pick if he drops lower then expected ala Sean Lee / Bruce Carter.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

2013 MOCK 2.0

Round 1. Jonathan Cooper, OG/C - UNC - 6'3, 310

I've been wanting an OL with dredlocks for a while now. LOL. Seriously. More seriously, Cooper is legit. Reports on him are glowing and they seem to fit the montra along the OL that Garrett has been looking for. Similar strengths to Tyron Smith in athleticism, balance, and fluidity. I love Cooper because he can project to either OG or C.

Round 2. Bacarri Rambo, S - Georgia - 6'1, 218

I have doubts about Garrett getting over Rambo's suspension for eating Pot Brownies, but for the rugged Rob Ryan, I have to imagine a guy who's name is Bacarri Rambo is a match made in football heaven for him.

Round 3. DJ Fluker, OT - Alabama - 6'6, 335

His stock has faded some whereas his peers have risen to 1st round status (Scouts Inc has him ranked #103 overall), but there's still a lot to be liked there if you're looking for a RT. Doug Free is coming off a very bad season and if he has another one this year, he could be in danger of getting cut for salary cap purposes alone. Last year his base salary was $700K. This year it's $1.2M. Next season it SKY ROCKETS to $7M and $8M the year after. He'll need to play extremely well this year to ward off desires from the Cowboys to look at OTs in this year's draft.

Round 4. Kyle Fuller, CB - 6'0, 193

Mike Jenkins might not be with the team next season, so CB depth will be a concern. Lengh is becoming more and more important for today's NFL CBs and Fuller brings that. Versatile enough to play any CB spot, but Fuller has played mostly in the nickel spot and flourished in the role as he led the team in tackles for loss last season with 14.5.He had 65 tackles, including 4.5 sacks, 2 interceptions, 7 pass break ups, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. He's a strong open-field tackler with great closing speed who makes a lot of plays and seems to have the perfect package of what we're looking for.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Default Weekly Stock Report

Just something I thought of to keep myself objective during nationally televised games with players that fit our team needs. This week I watched Star Lotulelei against Utah St and John Jenkins vs Missouri.

Stock up John Jenkins: Line up at nose guard most of the game and occasionally across LG in a 4 man front. When lined up head on center garnered automatic double from either guard. Showed the ability to drive combo blocks and still managed to get push in the pocket. Good awareness on plays pitched to the outside and gave effort to shuffle down the line in an attempt to make a play. Was not replaced in passing downs, has ability to split the double and pursuit for the sack. (see sack 8:15 left in 4th) Appeared to wear down late in 4th as Mizzou went with the hurry up (5:50-3:30), went down with some sort of injury. Grabbed his hamstring and reached for his foot. I'm assuming it was a cramp or he was exhausted from the hurry up but he was helped off the field.

Stock Down Star Lutulelei: Also lined up at nose guard and over LG in his game against Utah St. Ability is certainly there, was able to make plays in his area and was able to get a sack on the QB. Utah St clearly made it a point to employ the option and quick passes in a successful play to neutralize the best player on defense. Single blocked almost exclusively throughout the game by the center #58 or LG #54. Looked content locking up with the lineman blocking when the play didn't come right to him. Did not look to disengage and chase the ball. Expected to see more effort getting into the pocket.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:10 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

Mock Draft V 1.0 Rounds 1-4

Round 1: T.J. McDonald (6-3, 205) | S | USC

If there's a year to draft a difference maker at the safety position then 2013 is it. A draft that is top-heavy at the position, McDonald is near the cream of the crop, a rangy centerfielder with NFL bloodlines has been groomed over the past 3 seasons by legendary ex-NFL DC Monte Kiffin. While his unique size has drawn comparisons to ex-Trojan Taylor Mays, McDonald is the total opposite in his ability to flip his hips and track the football in the air. A Day 1 starter, T.J. is the FS we have been searching for since the days Woodson retired.

Round 2: Jonathan Cooper (6-3, 310) | C/G | North Carolina

Cooper looks like the real deal and should be in the mix for being one of the top interior lineman off the board. With experience at both Guard and Center, this athletic lineman should have no problem battling for a starting job early on in his career.

Round 3: Arthur Brown (6-1, 236) | LB | K-State

Following suit to how Jason Garrett and the FO have been drafting the past few seasons, Brown doesn't necessarily fill a "need" position but he's the definition of RKG and is one hell of a football player... so much so that I couldn't pass on him here even though we look good at ILB with Lee and Carter. Rob is the master of multiple fronts, and a LB with the athleticism and versatility of Brown would be used in a variety of roles.

Round 4: Ray Graham (5-9, 195) | RB | Pittsburgh

Coming off a knee injury a season ago, this could be the pick where reward highly outweighs the risk. Graham is DYNAMIC with the football in his hands, and with Felix Jones probably hitting FA this off-season we could use another back to help shoulder the load for Murray. In the mold of former Pitt greats Tony Dorsett and Shady McCoy, Graham is a threat to score on any given play due to elite vision and acceleration.

TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote