Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
Think there are any real trade talks going on regarding Mike Jenkins?
Not unless someone goes overboard and meets our valuation of him. During the draft we had "multiple teams" approach and walked away at our rumored 1st round pick" demand.

With the entire organization from JG to JJ toeing the same line in that Jenkins is going to be a vital part of the defense whether starting or not makes it sound like we aren't going to be trading him for pennies.

In addition all the talk from JJ about the window of opportunity is now I can't imagine him trading away a piece that makes our pass defense much stronger.

-_- Who-da-thunk-it that our secondary would be from the teams biggest weakness to one of the strengths of the team in one offseason. Nuts.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:30 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I don't think I would classify anybody as a "Felix hater" IMO. When your a 1st round pick you have a certain amount of expectations, all of which he has failed to meet. There are a number of reasons why they may have not been met, but regardless he's a 1st round pick that has largely under achieved, people have a right to be upset in that regards.

It says a lot that our role for him as a former 1st round pick is 8 touches a game, but honestly that is where he is used best. I'd put him back there on KO return also. If he can't handle returning kicks and 8 or so sporadic touches he shouldn't be playing in the NFL.
felix jones wasnt drafted to be a 20 carry back, the reason they drafted in the 1st round was they had 2 picks, so felix was a luxury pick, he wasn't the primary back in college and he was expected to continue that role in the nfl behind mb3, but barber was never the same after playing thru that quad injury so they made felix the primary back out of necessity, not by choice.

and its not like the cowboys are the 1st team to do so. cj spiller isnt a 20 carry back, didnt stop buffalo from taking him in the top 10, and even chris johnson was thought of as 3rd down back to tandem with lendale white when he was drafted
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:20 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Not unless someone goes overboard and meets our valuation of him. During the draft we had "multiple teams" approach and walked away at our rumored 1st round pick" demand.

With the entire organization from JG to JJ toeing the same line in that Jenkins is going to be a vital part of the defense whether starting or not makes it sound like we aren't going to be trading him for pennies.

In addition all the talk from JJ about the window of opportunity is now I can't imagine him trading away a piece that makes our pass defense much stronger.

-_- Who-da-thunk-it that our secondary would be from the teams biggest weakness to one of the strengths of the team in one offseason. Nuts.
I'm not ready to call our secondary one of our biggest strengths until I see how our Safeties play.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
felix jones wasnt drafted to be a 20 carry back, the reason they drafted in the 1st round was they had 2 picks, so felix was a luxury pick, he wasn't the primary back in college and he was expected to continue that role in the nfl behind mb3, but barber was never the same after playing thru that quad injury so they made felix the primary back out of necessity, not by choice.

and its not like the cowboys are the 1st team to do so. cj spiller isnt a 20 carry back, didnt stop buffalo from taking him in the top 10, and even chris johnson was thought of as 3rd down back to tandem with lendale white when he was drafted

I never said he was drafted to be a 20 carry back, but he certainly was not drafted to touch the ball 7 times a game and be a back-up. Not even close. If we had anticipated that we would have waited for a RB much later. We envisioned him being apart of a RBBC and a huge threat on the field, all he would need is 12 carries and about 4 catches a game.

CJ Spiller was a bad pick, comparing our situation to that doesn't really make matters any better. Chris Johnson wasn't thought of as a 3rd down back by the team who drafted him, not ever. A bunch of teams saw him that way, but they didn't. He came in the door getting a ton of carries right away, as apart of a RBBC. What we saw for Felix.

Felix has shown he isn't durable enough to even handle the type of load CJ had in his 1st year. Any way you spin it, he has not lived up to expectations of being a 1st round pick in any shape or form. I still think he's plenty talented, personally his lack of vision and durability are his biggest hindrences, but he's a huge disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:39 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We learned a tough lesson about drafting RBs in late Round 1. Hopefully, we never do that again. Can't say he was a total bust. Just disappointed he didn't pan to be anything more than a flash in the pan. He's still a serviceable complimentary back.

...and quite honestly, Murray needs to prove he's more than a flash in the pan too.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:52 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
We learned a tough lesson about drafting RBs in late Round 1. Hopefully, we never do that again. Can't say he was a total bust. Just disappointed he didn't pan to be anything more than a flash in the pan. He's still a serviceable complimentary back.

...and quite honestly, Murray needs to prove he's more than a flash in the pan too.
Very true. But at least the value is right on point for him though, but that's not Felix' problem. Was that span Murray had last year better then any Felix has had, or has he had one similiar? I honestly can't remember and I know for stretches Felix has ripped off some huge games. Though I'd say Murray's partial season last year was better then any year Felix has ever done.

In terms of talent, I don't really think there is that big of a difference between the two, in fact I think Felix has a better burst. But even when he's not injured completely where he can't play, it's a nagging injury that carries 1 week into the next. I'd like to let him touch the ball 8 times a game to start the year in a variety of ways, and see how that plays out for the first month.

Quote:
Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some practice notes

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ar...b-b3ddad478d80

Like what I saw early from defensive end Tyrone Crawford. Lined up at end and also some at nose. Did a nice job of fighting past Ronald Leary on his pass rush. Played some on the punt team as well.
Going to be interesting to see if tight end James Hanna becomes more consistent catching the ball. Had an early play where he worked in the flat and had the ball knocked out of his hands. Later in the practice, he didnít extend on a pass and Mario Butler was able to knock it away.
Linebacker Dan Connor got his first work of the season with the defense. Connor lined up both at Mike and Will linebacker, which is a good sign. He will compete with Bruce Carter at the Mike spot, but if he can play some at Will that will be a plus. Outside linebacker Alex Albrightalso took some reps inside to maybe try and help with some depth issues.
Wide receiver Cole Beasley got a lot of work on the outside. Watching Beasley run slants leads me to believe that he can be able to handle some things outside. His quickness really helps him in all areas. Been told that Beasley will get plenty of shots to make this team.
Defensive end Sean Lissemore showed no signs of the injury to his side that kept him out of the minicamps this past spring. He was explosive and powerful at the point, was able to move well side-to-side, bend and turn. Look for him to make a serious push for this starting end spot.
Staying with the defensive ends, keep an eye on rookie Ben Bass from Texas A&M. He is a high effort and motor guy. Looks very similar to Crawford when he rushes up the field.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:04 PM    (permalink
FinChase
Veteran

FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.FinChase wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Some practice notes

Like what I saw early from defensive end Tyrone Crawford. Lined up at end and also some at nose. Did a nice job of fighting past Ronald Leary on his pass rush. Played some on the punt team as well.
Going to be interesting to see if tight end James Hanna becomes more consistent catching the ball. Had an early play where he worked in the flat and had the ball knocked out of his hands. Later in the practice, he didnít extend on a pass and Mario Butler was able to knock it away.
Linebacker Dan Connor got his first work of the season with the defense. Connor lined up both at Mike and Will linebacker, which is a good sign. He will compete with Bruce Carter at the Mike spot, but if he can play some at Will that will be a plus. Outside linebacker Alex Albrightalso took some reps inside to maybe try and help with some depth issues.
Wide receiver Cole Beasley got a lot of work on the outside. Watching Beasley run slants leads me to believe that he can be able to handle some things outside. His quickness really helps him in all areas. Been told that Beasley will get plenty of shots to make this team.
Defensive end Sean Lissemore showed no signs of the injury to his side that kept him out of the minicamps this past spring. He was explosive and powerful at the point, was able to move well side-to-side, bend and turn. Look for him to make a serious push for this starting end spot.
Staying with the defensive ends, keep an eye on rookie Ben Bass from Texas A&M. He is a high effort and motor guy. Looks very similar to Crawford when he rushes up the field.
Thanks, good report!
FinChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:12 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Good looking out Pocketaces.

Who are a few guys you guys are keeping a closer eye on this TC?

For me, it's Bruce Carter, and Victor Butler. Two young guys on defense that I think have some starter ability in them at some point, but I want to see that consistent progression. Butler hasn't hit his wall yet, he's still growing and I'm hoping with a big part time role this year he can take over as a starter next year.

Quote:
Old 07-25-2012, 02:23 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Good looking out Pocketaces.

Who are a few guys you guys are keeping a closer eye on this TC?

For me, it's Bruce Carter, and Victor Butler. Two young guys on defense that I think have some starter ability in them at some point, but I want to see that consistent progression. Butler hasn't hit his wall yet, he's still growing and I'm hoping with a big part time role this year he can take over as a starter next year.
I really want to check out the Oline. I believe they are the reason we go 11-5 or 8-8...Really not sold on the interior but hoping Woiclk can work his magic on them.

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 07-25-2012, 02:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
Some practice notes

Sweet report pocketrockets!

I wanna see how our UDFA OLBs do! Adrian Hamilton and Aston Whiteside!

Also wanna see what Matt Johnson can do.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:16 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

More reports per ESPN

** All eyes were on CB Morris Claiborne, the first-round pick. He is aggressive and maybe too aggressive at times, but itís better to be that way and coach it out of a cornerback. On a stop route to WR Tim Benford, he chewed up the rookie receiver and did not allow him to break free.

** QB Kyle Ortonís first three passes in seven-on-seven drills were incomplete with drops by Benford and Hanna. His third throw was a little wide to WR Cole Beasley. He closed the first session with a nice crossing route to WR Saleem Hakim.

** S Justin Taplin-Ross came up with a nice interception of a Stephen McGee pass across the middle that had the coaches excited.

** LB Dan Connor broke up an Orton pass to TE Andrew Szczerba, avoiding a pass interference penalty by using his outside hand to deflect the throw while keeping his inside hand off the tight endís back.

** McGee opened up seven-on-seven drills with a nice corner route to Benford over CB Mario Butler and S Eddie Whitley.

** OLB Alex Albright took snaps at inside linebacker. The second-year linebacker will have to show versatility in addition to being a top special teamer.

** Safety Gerald Sensabaugh, who is recovering from arthroscopic surgery earlier this month, was at Valley Ranch doing rehab. The hope is he could be ready early in the teamís time in Oxnard, Calif., if not the first day.

** RB Darrell Scott left practice early with a tight hip flexor, which meant Lance Dunbar was the only tailback available. Fullback Jamize Olawale got a few carries as a result.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I never said he was drafted to be a 20 carry back, but he certainly was not drafted to touch the ball 7 times a game and be a back-up. Not even close. If we had anticipated that we would have waited for a RB much later. We envisioned him being apart of a RBBC and a huge threat on the field, all he would need is 12 carries and about 4 catches a game.

CJ Spiller was a bad pick, comparing our situation to that doesn't really make matters any better. Chris Johnson wasn't thought of as a 3rd down back by the team who drafted him, not ever. A bunch of teams saw him that way, but they didn't. He came in the door getting a ton of carries right away, as apart of a RBBC. What we saw for Felix.

Felix has shown he isn't durable enough to even handle the type of load CJ had in his 1st year. Any way you spin it, he has not lived up to expectations of being a 1st round pick in any shape or form. I still think he's plenty talented, personally his lack of vision and durability are his biggest hindrences, but he's a huge disappointment.
felix jones is going to get more than 7 touches a game, but the problem with felix besides injury which u pointed out is, he is at his best a the change of pace rb/kr, but i don't think he's a disappointment, he just a specialty player, honestly the disappointing imo about felix is he was drafted ahead a cj, but other than that he is what he is, 10-15 touches a game a he's capable of taking one to the house at anytime, but anymore than that and he's not really explosive over the long haul

if the cowboys can run the the ball 28-32 times with murray getting 18-22 and felix 8-12 plus kr and screens that an ideal workload for him. so long as murray can stay healthy and take the heavy load, its not inconceivable for felix to return to the player he was earlier in his career with that 5 or 6+ yard average as the 2nd guy

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 07-25-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:45 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysBeastMode View Post
felix jones is going to get more than 7 touches a game, but the problem with felix besides injury which u pointed out is, he is at his best a the change of pace rb/kr, but i don't think he's a disappointment, he just a specialty player, honestly the disappointing imo about felix is he was drafted ahead a cj, but other than that he is what he is, 10-15 touches a game a he's capable of taking one to the house at anytime, but anymore than that and he's not really explosive over the long haul

if the cowboys can run the the ball 28-32 times with murray getting 18-22 and felix 8-12 plus kr and screens that an ideal workload for him. so long as murray can stay healthy and take the heavy load, its not inconceivable for felix to return to the player he was earlier in his career with that 5 or 6+ yard average as the 2nd guy

How can you make the determination that he is going to get more then 7 carries a game? I don't think he even reached 3 carries a game when he and Murray were both healthy. That's more indictive of his role then anything. We may think it's ideal that it happens, but it's more telling that when they were both healthy he was the forgotten man.

Quote:
but i don't think he's a disappointment

Riiight. Because between the countless injuries, and under achieving seasons of 500 rushing yards, he's been exactly what we all hoped for right? Because out of 4 years all we need is a couple big games out of him and that erases everything else.

Quote:
Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Some thoughts from the July 26 practice:
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ar...7-e407d42134aa

Disappointed that wide receiver Tim Benford went off the field today because he needed an IV due to the heat. I thought yesterday was an outstanding first day and that was going to carry over. Benford plays much faster than his timed speed and he has a feel for how to get in and out of his cuts. Had a drop on the vertical route where he had Claiborne beat, but the majority of the time, his hands are reliable. The Cowboys front office had a sixth round grade on him on their draft board, so they thought enough of him.
I really like these young corners. Thought that Claiborne looked more comfortable today and had some nice battles. Technique looked much better today so I am sure that Jerome Henderson had the chance to coach him a little more on tape from yesterday. Isaac Madison had a nice play yesterday and Lionel Smith is getting good work out of the slot.
The Cowboys added running back Ed Wesley from TCU to the running back mix today. Wesley was in the supplemental draft before training camp opened. The problem with Wesley was he wasnít in good shape for his workout and ran a poor 40-yard dash. If you study the tape, he is a good player and in my view a better player than Darrell Scott, who they just released. Wesley is a one-back runner that sees the hole then makes a cut. He has good hands out of the backfield but will need to develop as a blocker. He can be a physical load when he gets to the outside.
Stephen McGee is struggling early here in camp throwing the ball. The questions about McGee have always been trying to make him speed up his clock to get rid of the ball quicker and not hold it. Where McGee has struggled is with his accuracy with some of the routes that he is trying to throw. His ball has been high and the receivers are really having to work to make catches.
Just watching these young offensive linemen work, I expect to see guys like Pat McQuistanand Jermey Parnell to get plenty of work in these preseason games. Ronald Leary should get plenty of work as well. Jeff Adams, Tyrone Novifoff, Levy Adcock and Harland Gunnwill get work too, but to really get a good look at these running backs and wide receivers, McQuistan and Parnell are going to have to carry the load. Feel there is going to be a great deal of pressure when those young guys get in until they learn.
Linebackers did a nice job today of reading routes and getting their hands on passes. Only had the one bust where Ed Wesley was able to get in the flat and up the field when Alex Albrightgot caught inside. Aston Whiteside and Orie Lemon were in position on several routes and were able to defend balls. I havenít noticed Caleb McSurdy much but have a feeling that I will see him more when the pads come on.
Sean Lissemore and Tyrone Crawford still continue to be difficult to block. Robert Callaway at nose was having a slow practice then showed a little life in the team period rushing the passer.
Teddy Williams is an outstanding athlete and his movement has really improved, but he needs to do a much better job of finishing plays when he has the chance. For the second day, he allowed a ball to get past him. Benford had a chance to make a catch and Cole Beasley made a nice adjusting catch. Williams has to do a better job of making those plays.
Safety Justin Taplin-Ross made his second nice play of the camp when he was able to react and drive on a route inside to knock a ball away. Taplin-Ross also had an interception where in man coverage he was able to carry James Hanna up the field, stay in position, adjust and snatch Stephen McGeeís pass.
Thought that Kyle Orton threw the ball better today than yesterday. There is no doubt about Ortonís arm strength, but he also has very good, deep ball touch. Was really impressed with his ability to lay the ball in there for receivers to handle.

If this is to much info let me know and Ill just post the link or not post? Hope you enjoy

Old 07-27-2012, 01:17 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

b hfjvvujk,

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 07-27-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:20 AM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

Quote:
How can you make the determination that he is going to get more then 7 carries a game? I don't think he even reached 3 carries a game when he and Murray were both healthy. That's more indictive of his role then anything. We may think it's ideal that it happens, but it's more telling that when they were both healthy he was the forgotten man.
garrett is smart enough to know he has conserve murray to an extent and with his emergence i garrett should show more willingness to run the ball which should bode well for felix, i felt last year when murray was getting a heavy dose it would great to have felix jones who could take some carries and provide that change up, plus he is dangerous and with murray wearin down the defense as the game goes along felix jones is more deadly, remember that giants game when barber blew that tire, that's the perfect way to use them together, this vs last year felix is in the role that better suits him

Quote:
Riight. Because between the countless injuries, and under achieving seasons of 500 rushing yards, he's been exactly what we all hoped for right? Because out of 4 years all we need is a couple big games out of him and that erases everything else.
exactly
i really don't care where a guy is drafted, we have a pro bowl qb and wr who were undrafted and and a pro bowl nt who was a 7th round draft pick, should where he was drafted really matter its not like he was a top 5 pick

all i know when felix jones is incorporated in the offense as a complimentary piece, not the starter he adds a different dimension when he comes into the game

Last edited by CowboysBeastMode : 07-27-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:56 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can training camp get here already...

But to chime in on the RBs, I'm still not sold on Demarco or Felix. I think it'll be business as usual for Felix this season, a couple flash plays here and there but nothing consistent enough to warrant a new contract. He's probably been the most frustrating player to watch on offense the past couple years because he can be brilliant in the open field, but the durability issues have really hampered him. Every time it looks like he's getting comfortable and poised for a breakout stretch, he gets nicked up... and then comes back a couple weeks later looking lost and lacking the vision he flashed in the beginning of the season. I'm done drinking the Felix Kool-Aid, it just didn't work out.

I want to believe in Murray but I need a larger sample size in order to do so. The reason he lasted til the 3rd round was because he couldn't stay healthy for a full season in college... and fair or not, it happened again in his rookie year. At least he showed he can handle a 20+ carry workload and be productive during his 4 or 5 game stretch... something Felix never did... but for now I'm hesitant about believing he's the answer at RB. I hope he can stay healthy and be that guy, but my gut tells me he probably won't be.

I want a good running game in the worst way. I know many believe in the perception that running backs are a dime a dozen in the NFL, and that may be true, but I'm one of the few remaining dinosaurs who would be willing to spend a 1st Rounder on a premier talent. I think an elite RB would still find a way to be success even behind a medioce OL. If the running game stalls again this season, Marcus Lattimore would look pretty good with a star on his helmet :)

Last edited by TheFinisher : 07-27-2012 at 09:06 PM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:58 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
Can training camp get here already...
I'm pretty sure it is lol.

Quote:
Old 07-27-2012, 09:12 PM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it is lol.
lol well, yea..... I guess the rookie camps already did haha.

I think what I really meant to post was:

Can Sept. 5th get here already...

Old 07-27-2012, 09:56 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Haha. I just want a pre-season game to get my fix of football in. I think those start in about a week or so, at this point of the year I'm always so excited for football that watching a bunch of practice squad guys play for 4 quarters has never been so fun.

We also should probably can the Jenkins trade stuff. He's still hurt pretty bad(how, I have no clue) so nobody is going to trade for him. He already showed that everytime he jumped and landed hard he was back hurt, the fact that his shoulder is in pretty bad shape right now tells me it'll be a long year for him.

Quote:
Old 07-28-2012, 01:03 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Training camp is here, so I'm just poking my head in and seeing any reports you guys see from places beyond me usually going to BTB. Thanks pocketaces for those links. It's good to read those things while waiting for the season.

Personally I'm keeping an eye on Bruce Carter, the safeties, and the interior OL this season. Those are the biggest spots to me. If Carter can at least be decent then it'll make Sean Lee even more of a factor than he already is, and it'll be nice to have some good mid field coverage for a change. The corners should be solid if Jenkins is healthy. He's got a lot of game and a lot to prove. I think he'll have a really good season like last year since he's playing for that contract, and Claiborne is in a really good position to learn from his mistakes. He's loaded with talent, but since he's probably not going to be asked to shoulder the load yet it'll ease him in just right. Where I'm worried at is the safeties. I never thought Sensabaugh was a bad player, but he definitely needs to step it up. Pool was a decent player with the Jets, but I'm hearing that Church could beat him out for that spot. I have no idea if that's a good or bad thing. Time will tell, and hopefully it's a good thing. ;)

OL is a huge key. Romo had a really good year last year, but he got sacked way too much. It's nice to see him dodging and escaping sacks, but I'd rather see him consistently getting good looks for 4-6 seconds. The interior really needs to step their game up. Free on the edge needs to get back to where he was before, but at the same time the interior was a big mess last year. I'm looking to see if Arkin's "redshirt" year paid off, and if the 2 new guys could at least pay off. I'm still very antsy about Costa. Dude straight blows. Couldn't get his timing right, and just wasn't that good of a blocker. I'm hoping that someone beats him out.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:18 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Some Bryan Broaddus thoughts
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ar...dium=twi tter

Some Cowboys thoughts on Training Camp Eve:

My biggest question as camp opens for the Cowboys here in Oxnard is the offense line. Switching the tackles and adding a pair of new guards creates a challenge for Bill Callahan. How quickly this group meshes will be key with the great defensive front sevens the club will face this season.

I donít think there will be a problem with Dez Bryant's focus on the field while this latest issue is being taken care of off it. Some players could be dragged down this kind of thing, but I donít think that will be the case for Bryant, who is a football player first. Being in camp and playing ball is what he lives for.

We really wonít be able to tell how quickly DeMarco Murray and Lawrence Vickers are adapting to one another until this team works in full pads. Vickers is a different type of blocker than Tony Fiammetta, who is more athletic and able to adjust on the move. Vickers is a more physical player at the point of contact.

Monday afternoon, inside linebacker will be Bruce Carterís job to start practice, but is he good enough to hold off Dan Connor? In my view, whoever wins this job will be the best player. When camp opened for selected veterans and rookies last week, the defensive coaches were working with Alex Albright inside and flopping the guys that normally play Sam linebacker to the Jack spot, looking for depth at both positions.

Snapper L.P. Ladouceur has been a steady performer throughout his career, but is this the season a rookie takes his place? Charley Hughlett has been accurate in rookie camp, without shoulder pads. Hughlett appears to be athletic enough to help as a blocker after the snap, which is something all special teams coaches are looking for. Hughlett should get plenty of opportunities.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:37 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Wow didnt see this one coming. Not full time anyway. Per ESPN

OXNARD, Calif. -- Dez Bryant will be the Cowboys punt returner in 2012.

The Cowboys were leery of using the wide receiver in that spot last year, choosing to limit his work in part for fear of injury, but they have had a philosophical change of heart in 2012.

And it’s not just Bryant who will be involved in the return game. Jones said Felix Jones will be the team’s kick returner.

“We think that’s really going to do wonders for our kicking game,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “We’re going to let them work on it from the get go. Obviously, we didn’t do it with Felix last year because he was the starting running back and we didn’t do it with Dez. This year, we think it’ll make a big difference. Both guys were top guys come out of college. By letting them work on it every day, Joe (DeCamillis) thinks it’ll make a big difference.”

Bryant had punt returns for touchdowns of 62 and 93 yards as a rookie and averaged 14.3 yards in 15 returns. Last season, he suffered a bruised quadriceps in the season opener and was limited as a returner for the rest of the year.

Jones has averaged 24.5 yards per kick return in his first three seasons. He had a 98-yard touchdown as a rookie.

“We were wanting to try some of the young guys last year,” Stephen Jones said. “I think Dez doing punt returns, we’ve done it with Deion (Sanders). We think that’s a safer deal. And then with Felix obviously going to No. 2 running back, then I think him get some chances to make some plays as well.”

The Cowboys averaged just 7.1 yards per punt return and 23.3 yards per kick return in 2012, which has kept the offense from being in the best field position situations.

“The big thing is Joe thinks practicing it every day, getting Dez and Felix used to the blocking schemes, working on it every day, they’ll be better,” Stephen Jones sai

Last edited by pocketaces : 07-29-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:49 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Good news!! Rookie safety Matt Johnson (hamstring) passed his physical and will be taken off PUP and cleared to practice Monday.