Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > San Francisco 49ers Team Forum

San Francisco 49ers Team Forum Discuss the 49ers

Old 07-30-2012, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They'll be able to stash one or two of these UDFA WRs on the practice squad in case of injuries and to develop. This is a deeper team than last year so the roster will be more difficult to make, across the board. Their focus at WR is to get production out of Moss, consistency out of Crabs an development from Jenkins.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:54 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Palmer would have to play like Jerry Rice throughout camp and in the exhibition games to have a chance at making the final roster. Unfortunately football politics might get in his way.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:18 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
Which is the likely reason Nathan Palmer won't make the squad. It's insanely early. Every single team's beat writers are slobbering over a hidden gem at this point. The only people aware of Palmer are 49ers fans. Let's wait until we start seeing some preseason games before we start putting UDFAs on the roster.
Its not like it came out of nowhere. This is a report made after the first rookie minicamp back in May.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-s...60&feedID=5936

Quote:
Palmer topped the list of the 49ers' 18 undrafted free agents with a $10,000 signing bonus. Tyms was second at $8,000. Owusu, meanwhile, received $3,000.
Quote:
"A lot of teams called," he said, "but I don't think there was any competition. I pretty much knew I was going to come here when they first called. The call from coach (Jim) Harbaugh and Mr. (Trent) Baalke felt very genuine about everything -- the offer and everything. They were up front with me about my chances to make this team and what I'd have to do."
Quote:
Palmer had an impressive opening day on the practice field, including beating cornerback Mosley deep to catch a pass from Fleming in the morning session.

It appears to be a more-talented group of rookie free agents at wide receiver than the 49ers assembled a year ago.
Adam Schein...again, in May

Quote:
I can tell you that Palmer was highly respected in the scouting community prior to the draft, so keep an eye on him in training camp.
https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/201359256035934209

https://twitter.com/mattbarrows/stat...10301767106560

Quote:
Jim Harbaugh on rookie WR Nathan Palmer: "He had an excellent day yesterday.Really stood out to all of us."
If he performs even decently well in pre-season, I can't see him not making the 53.

Last edited by 49ersfan_87 : 07-30-2012 at 02:27 PM.
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Excatly my point 87, rep. This didn't just come out of nowhere. Pundits have been raving about this kid since he stepped foot on the practice field in May. Just trying to read the tea leaves here but let's say it comes down to Ginn or Palmer, do you really take the chance and expose him to the waiver wire, knowing he's going to flash in pre-season some and knowing what they did to get the kid here?

And I don't think he has to perform like Rice in any form or fashion. I just think he needs to flash potential in pre-season and make plays to lock up a slot. We haven't had a rookie WR do that in quite some time. He could be our Victor Cruz, who tore it up as a UDFA for the Giants that year. But I dont even think he needs that type of impact.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:11 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
They'll be able to stash one or two of these UDFA WRs on the practice squad in case of injuries and to develop. This is a deeper team than last year so the roster will be more difficult to make, across the board. Their focus at WR is to get production out of Moss, consistency out of Crabs an development from Jenkins.
They'll be able stash Owusu because of his medical but no way do I see Palmer lasting on the PS all year. Hell, Ronald Johnson didnt even clear waivers last year he sucked in pratice and pre-season.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OK, I might as well drop this baby in here:

The only way to get rid of Crabs is to use NaPalm!

/rimshot

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Excatly my point 87, rep. This didn't just come out of nowhere. Pundits have been raving about this kid since he stepped foot on the practice field in May. Just trying to read the tea leaves here but let's say it comes down to Ginn or Palmer, do you really take the chance and expose him to the waiver wire, knowing he's going to flash in pre-season some and knowing what they did to get the kid here?

And I don't think he has to perform like Rice in any form or fashion. I just think he needs to flash potential in pre-season and make plays to lock up a slot. We haven't had a rookie WR do that in quite some time. He could be our Victor Cruz, who tore it up as a UDFA for the Giants that year. But I dont even think he needs that type of impact.
Well Josh Morgan had a good stint in the preseason as a receiver with J.T. O'Sullivan throwing him the ball a few years ago. I'll see it when I believe it.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2012, 05:33 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Well Josh Morgan had a good stint in the preseason as a receiver with J.T. O'Sullivan throwing him the ball a few years ago. I'll see it when I believe it.
Yea forgot about Morgan. That being said, I dont remember Morgan being talked up as consisitently as NaPalm has. He and Moss have been the most impressive WRs since camp opened. The talent level was very different back when Morgan was a rookie as opposed to now. And to standout among this group of WRs says something to me. But it wouldnt surprise me if he got a minor injury and they stashed him on IR all year. Happens all the time.

And I replied to your quote on this very same topic on the .com boards earlier this morning Ness lol...
Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Yea forgot about Morgan. That being said, I dont remember Morgan being talked up as consisitently as NaPalm has. He and Moss have been the most impressive WRs since camp opened. The talent level was very different back when Morgan was a rookie as opposed to now. And to standout among this group of WRs says something to me. But it wouldnt surprise me if he got a minor injury and they stashed him on IR all year. Happens all the time.

And I replied to your quote on this very same topic on the .com boards earlier this morning Ness lol...
Yeah I saw that thanks for the response.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

That's what actually happened to Victor Cruz. He dominated the 2010 preseason, was put on IR, and forgotten about until 2011.

And, speak of the devil. From the examiner and Christian Gin

Quote:
-WR Nathan Palmer continued to impress from yesterday. He had five catches again in finding ways to get open.
Anyways, more notes from today. Taking the articles from beat writers i could find

http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-s...25&feedID=5936

http://www.examiner.com/article/49er...notes-day-four

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archiv...racy-test.html

Some general thoughts

-Kaepernick won a 4 way accuracy test. He tied with Alex in one drill, but was a bit faster at throwing the ball. 2nd drill Alex didn't participate in, and Kaep won. Tolzien came in 3rd, Johnson 4th in both drills. Details are in Barrows blog.

-Crabtree, Manningham, Hastings all miss practice. Didn't say what was wrong with Manningham. Jewel Hampton also had surgery, out for 6 weeks (PUP candidate).

-Dobbs continues to play TE. Is this a sign we want to save a roster spot by using our 6th DL as a TE?

-AJ Jenkins had 3 catches

-Culliver also had a solid day
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:09 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man, I haven't been to .com since the Nolan years. The trolls and Debbie Downers were too much to handle. Has it gotten any better?

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

7 WRs.. if they're worth the space, i would keep them on

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
Man, I haven't been to .com since the Nolan years. The trolls and Debbie Downers were too much to handle. Has it gotten any better?
Nope. I've taken a year or so off of them and I don't think I checked in during the regular season. I don't like most of the people there, but I've tried posting there during this offseason in recent weeks to see how it is. Some of the more obnoxious assholes seem to be gone (banned I should say), but it still has the same feel there. That being said there are a handful of good posters on that forum.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2012, 09:53 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yeah pretty much why I started posting here more. There are a few there who give good insight. But too many knee-jerk, post whores as a whole who just like to spew nonsense all over the place. When ppl were bashing the Harbaugh hiring and saying Baalke being GM was the result of the Yorks being cheap is when I decided enough was enough. I drop by to lurk from time to time but not much has changed. I really liked Football Future's 49ers forum. Seems like a solid group of posters there but for some reason, they never approved my membership.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Madirishman
Pro Bowler

Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Madirishman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They'll be able stash Owusu because of his medical but no way do I see Palmer lasting on the PS all year. Hell, Ronald Johnson didnt even clear waivers last year he sucked in pratice and pre-season.
Yes, they'll be able to stash Owusu on the P-Squad.

Johnson (who was a number one college recruit out of high school in the state of Michigan) was released and then cleared waivers. He decided to sign with the Eagles practice squad over the Niners; they didn't pick him off the waiver wire.....and he was a former USC player that had been on scouts' watch lists for many years.

Three NFC Conference Championship appearances in Harbaugh's First 3 Years
Operation 2014 Super Bowl Champions: In Progress with an amazing looking Draft class

"He who thinks he knows it all has the most to learn"
Madirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not doubting that Palmer can make the team, especially if he deserves it. I just temper my enthusiasm regarding practice reports. Let's see some games and I'll alter my take.

Go to any team's beat writer's blogs and you'll see article after article of unknown players looking like HOFers in TC.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Quote:
I'm not doubting that Palmer can make the team, especially if he deserves it. I just temper my enthusiasm regarding practice reports. Let's see some games and I'll alter my take.

Go to any team's beat writer's blogs and you'll see article after article of unknown players looking like HOFers in TC.
This is true. Well, Palmer will certainly have his chance. Even if he does well, he would have to basically move heaven and Earth to make the final roster and be a big contributor on Sundays. Six receivers are ahead of him right now. Better that it's positive news I'm hearing though.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2012, 11:48 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Palmer is a superstar in hiding, but do me a favor...

Read the over-abundance of travesty in this training camp report from 2007...

Quote:
When the 49ers reported to training camp last week, fans and observers were buzzing about all the talented receivers the team acquired in the offseason -- Darrell Jackson, Ashley Lelie and Jason Hill -- and about Marcus Maxwell, who was coming off a dazzling season in NFL Europa.

No one said a thing about Taylor Jacobs. But they are now.

Of the 10 receivers on the squad, none has stood out as much as the 26-year-old Jacobs
Old 07-30-2012, 11:51 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

My goodness those receivers sucked.

Quote:
Old 07-30-2012, 11:59 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
My goodness those receivers sucked.
All-World SUCK. Yet the TC report was filled with optimism.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:17 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
All-World SUCK. Yet the TC report was filled with optimism.
Now compare the talent from then and now......there is no comparsion. Where's the HOF in that group? Where's the FA WR coming off a stellar post-season and clutch SB performace in that group? Where's the first round draft pick from that year in that group? Where's the WR who came close to putting up the kind of numbers Crabs did over the last 10 games in that group? This is the comp Palmer is facing and he's still getting it done. I understand what your trying to say but that's what beat writers do, report the good and the bad and get enthusiastic about stellar play. I didnt see anybody calling Palmer the next Jerry Rice. All anybody has said is that kid continues to stand out. And whole premise of the arguement is that Palmer will make the 53 if this pattern continues. And if I recall correctly, Jacobs made the squad that year so thanks for proving my point.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:29 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madirishman View Post
Yes, they'll be able to stash Owusu on the P-Squad.

Johnson (who was a number one college recruit out of high school in the state of Michigan) was released and then cleared waivers. He decided to sign with the Eagles practice squad over the Niners; they didn't pick him off the waiver wire.....and he was a former USC player that had been on scouts' watch lists for many years.
I stand corrected on Johnson. But if you think Palmer isn't on NFL scouts radar, think again. There were TONS of teams after him as a UDFA. He said he was headed here all along but I heard reports that Miami and Seattle were all over him, that's why we upped his signing bonus to make it more enticing to choose us. There was a small contigent of pundits buzzing about him after his Pro Day. Alot ppl were surprised he wasn't drafted. That's why teams have pro scouting departements. People around the league know what Palmer is doing with us just like we hopefully know what guys at other camps that we liked are doing around the league. I'm sure every team has their own Palmer they're hoping clears waivers. I visit other team's forums all the time. I was surpise just how many fanbases other than ours knew about Palmer before the draft. Especially those looking for WR help.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:25 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Now compare the talent from then and now......there is no comparsion. Where's the HOF in that group? Where's the FA WR coming off a stellar post-season and clutch SB performace in that group? Where's the first round draft pick from that year in that group? Where's the WR who came close to putting up the kind of numbers Crabs did over the last 10 games in that group? This is the comp Palmer is facing and he's still getting it done. I understand what your trying to say but that's what beat writers do, report the good and the bad and get enthusiastic about stellar play. I didnt see anybody calling Palmer the next Jerry Rice. All anybody has said is that kid continues to stand out. And whole premise of the arguement is that Palmer will make the 53 if this pattern continues. And if I recall correctly, Jacobs made the squad that year so thanks for proving my point.
I'm not arguing the point about a final-53. I'm saying don't believe everything you read before games start. It doesn't matter how a player looks in practice.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:56 AM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'm not arguing the point about a final-53. I'm saying don't believe everything you read before games start. It doesn't matter how a player looks in practice.
Everything matters. You can only get on the field on gamedays by proving yourself in practice so I cant see how you can take that stance. I never said Palmer was the best WR ever in Niner TC history or that he's destined for stardom. I don't think any beat writer has said anything close to that either. This whole thing started because I said he should make the 53 if his play continues. I think its fair to assume, if he makes the 53, alot would have to happen for him to see the field anytime this year. Him and Jenkins both. If he makes it with Jenkins, you can point towards Harbaugh making that personel move for the future and how he probably envisions Jenkins and Palmer as a possible starting tandem down the road. Your right in essence....how you perform on the big stage is the ultimate test but perfect pratice makes perfect is what my coach used to always say. It starts there.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

Quote:
Everything matters. You can only get on the field on gamedays by proving yourself in practice so I cant see how you can take that stance. I never said Palmer was the best WR ever in Niner TC history or that he's destined for stardom. I don't think any beat writer has said anything close to that either. This whole thing started because I said he should make the 53 if his play continues. I think its fair to assume, if he makes the 53, alot would have to happen for him to see the field anytime this year. Him and Jenkins both. If he makes it with Jenkins, you can point towards Harbaugh making that personel move for the future and how he probably envisions Jenkins and Palmer as a possible starting tandem down the road. Your right in essence....how you perform on the big stage is the ultimate test but perfect pratice makes perfect is what my coach used to always say. It starts there.
I absolutely agree. My stance is that what beat writers say is happening in practice, and what coaches see happening in practice are often two very different things. Even players that shine in preseason games are often allowed to walk because we, as fans, only get snippets of the whole story. Kory Sheets is a great example of a player whom beat writers boasted about. He ran well during games. Coaches saw differently.