Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No kidding!

OL and Tebow flat out suck. Tebow set and heaved a football but it went about 3 or 4 yards beyond LOS. Not only that but it was low and intercepted.

I felt stupid when I wasted my time watching the "Vanilla" offense.

OL struggling may due to a lack of chemistry. It wont succeed overnight, though.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:56 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its the first preseason game, I feel its not indicative of much. I'm not particularly encouraged overall by the team, but the game has nothing to do with it.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:53 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It'll be interesting to see what difference, if any, we see with the Sparano offense compared to the Schottenheimer one come regular season games. That will really answer whether the issues were personnel or playcalling. Last night's game made it seem like the issue is really personnel, but who knows. I personally think the lack of the run game is a major issue for the team and given there's no elite QB or receiving corps, there's just not much to speak of on offense.

It was encouraging that Coples looked good. Hill had a really bad drop, and maybe that's going to be a trend this year. If he can essentially be a slightly lesser version of what Torrey Smith was for the Ravens last year and provide some big plays but not much in consistencey I'll be thrilled. It looked like there were struggles with backs and tight ends again, so hopefully if Davis gets more time that's less of an issue.

Anybody think any rookie UDFA's have a shot to make the roster? Could be tough this year. Personally I like the NT Harrison and the the LB Dowtin. Think one of the corners could stick too, they're bound to keep 5 and I think that 5th spot is pretty open.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:02 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We can blame Sanchez and his WR corp for a lack of run game if Jets actually play. Rex Ryan wants to switch back to a boring run offense so we have no idea how much of pass offense will be played. That is a concern.

Herm Edwards ERA:

Jets had been a solid team until the late Mike Heimerdinger and his strong pass offense joined with Jets. That year, OL and many other players were hurt badly. The team was completely disarrayed. Edwards was fired.

Eric Mangini ERA:

Switched back to run oriented offense. Jets had been up and down, mostly up, until FO decided to juice up the pass offense by trading for aging future hall of famer Brett Favre. The team went off a good start but Favre's hidden injury that led Jets into hellworld. Mangini was fired.

Rex Ryan ERA:

Switched back to run oriented offense. Jets went into AFC championship back to back seasons. Lockout was in effect and then lifted. Ryan decided to giddy up the pass offense. Wayne Hunter and blocking TE club worn Sanchez out rapidly. Jets failed to make it on playoff. Ryan stays put and Jets get Tony Sparano as OC to make sure that Jets are not a pass offensive team.

Because I am a pass first offensive fan, I easily hate what Jets have done so far. I remain optimistic as Jets try to get themselves back to a contender. However, I am not sold that Jets being heavy run oriented offense will help Jets win the first NFL Super Bowl as a NFL team. That is why I am starting to pay attention to Saints' Aaron Kromer.

Aaron Kromer is in the charge of team for 6 games in place of Joe Vitt. If he prepares the team well enough to win as many games as they can then he should be my recommendation for replacing Rex Ryan as Jets' head coach if he is actually fired.

Knowing Sean Payton, he will continue calling offense when he returns to head coach next year so Kromer can bring Pete Carmichael Jr. with him to Jets. Carmichael denied the opportunity to take over the head coach position vacated by suspended Sean Payton before Saints handed it to Joe Vitt because he wanted to call offense by himself.

Carmichael is one of few coaches that are responsible for Saints being top offensive team in last 5 or 6 years. That could help Sanchez or Tebow (or new quarterback if Jets bombed) become one of top passers in NFL annually.

Now I just emptied my mind and I feel good.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't want to judge or criticize the playcalling or each of the three phases because of how vanilla everything is. But there were a few players who did stand out:

Even though he was going up against backups for most of the game, you had to be impressed with Coples. He was struggling a lot in camp and I'll be honest, I was starting to worry. He looked great against the run being in the backfield a lot and also looked great against the pass. He got to the QB and even batted a ball down at the line. He showed a great motor as well.

I thought Austin Howard looked good. I know the coaching staff was impressed. I hope he can provide some competition for Wayne Hunter moving forward.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:31 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm back! I think my friend will have one of those special football packages so I should be able to catch every game this year. Oh joy.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:57 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some rumors about the Jets going after Percy Harvin. Not sure what to think of this, obviously a great player but it seems like there's a bit of indecision as to what kind of offense they're going to run if they do indeed bring him in.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:46 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Some rumors about the Jets going after Percy Harvin. Not sure what to think of this, obviously a great player but it seems like there's a bit of indecision as to what kind of offense they're going to run if they do indeed bring him in.
Harvin would be our number 2 WR if it happened. That is something Jets have sought for a long time. I am indecisive on that because I want to throw Hll into a shark pool now.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:06 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I think it's probably a slam dunk from the Jets' perspective but I see no reason the Vikings would do it. They've got a promising young quarterback in Ponder and Harvin is easily his only reliable, proven target right now (though Rudolph is emerging).

For the Jets, they've been trying to be a run-first team but I don't really think they've got the personnel for it. Mangold and Moore can obviously run block but Moore is slipping a little bit. Slauson is pretty much average, the right tackle situation is bad though Howard could be a solid run blocker if he wins the job, and Brick isn't going to move anyone in the run game. Conner is supposed to be a blocking fullback but hasn't really lived up to that at all, and none of the tight ends on the roster block that well. Plus there's no dominant back in the group.

Frankly I think if the team adds another receiver they'd be best off just running a 3 WR, Keller, Powell/McKnight package out there as a pretty standard set. Try to move the ball in the air with two solid WR targets in Holmes and somebody else (Harvin in this case which won't happen but would be awesome), a physically talented deep threat in Hill, a decent receiving tight end in Keller, and a back who can catch the ball out of the backfield. If that backfires, which seems likely, they gave it a shot and should move on to find a new quarterback. It's the best chance to win this year, and if it works they can spread defenses out and run with teams planning for the pass. Now it probably won't, but going for a run-first offense with a team that's just not designed to run effectively makes no sense.

Then if this year fails, bring in a couple of offensive linemen and a tight end who can block and actually get the personnel to run the ball. Or a dynamic back who the offense can be built around. Or draft a quarterback. But right now the offense is built around an offensive line that's good in three spots, average in another, and terrible in one which just won't work. There's no good running backs on the roster, the line isn't dominant, and the QB situation is shaky. Need to build the offense around something.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:51 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only thing I liked from the first half of this game was that bart scott looked much more explosive than last year. Seemed quicker.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The final score was ugly but aside from Wayne Hunter "sucking the life out of the offense" as Adam Shein put it, the team didn't play all that bad. Sanchez looked okay considering what he's working with. The running game showed some signs of life with the exception of those FB dives. Ugh, we better not run those during the season.

I thought the defense played well for the most part. Bart Scott looked good as Josh mentioned. The entire defensive line looked good which is a great sign considering the young guys we have on the line. And I think I'm gonna like the safety tandem of Landry and Bell.

Edit: Antonio Allen looked great.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Hurricanes25 : 08-19-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:48 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah I'm a big fan of what Allen's bringing to the table. Frankly I think they signed Landry and Bell as stopgaps this year and are hoping to maybe re-sign one and have at least one of Bush/Allen start next year. Allen should be a solid option at strong safety and his struggles in coverage I think were overblown. Those two complement each other pretty well too. Would be awesome if somehow they both end up being starters, really would help from a needs/cap perspective too. Basically the entire future defense besides OLB would be in place and they could FINALLY concentrate on improving the offense.

Here's what bothers me about what's gone down offensively in the preseason: I get that they're trying to run a vanilla offense and the receivers are all hurt, but there's literally zero downside to trying to push the ball downfield. Let them run simple routes to try to get open downfield or route combinations that they aren't going to run often. Have Sanchez take some shots to Hill and see how he reacts in a 50/50 situation and if he goes and gets the ball. See if the receivers can beat corners who, frankly, are lesser guys than they're going to face in practice. Worst case scenario, you find out that's not something you're going to want to try to do during the regular season.

And who knows, maybe they've been trying to do that but they haven't been able to. I still don't get why they can't max protect and take deep shots to Hill, or just have him run outs and see if he can get open that way with defenders playing off of him. It'd be good to learn what the team has there.

I'd imagine there's going to be no FB dives during the regular season after how those went. Honestly, I'm not sure what the real value in Conner is. He's been more or less a bust as a blocking fullback so far and doesn't offer enough as a runner or receiver to compensate. Frankly I think they should be running no FB sets most of the time - either use Keller and Cumberland or three wideouts - and if they want to use a FB just use Baker who at least can do more as a receiver and saves a roster spot. Maybe try to develop Ganaway there some too, and if they want to have another threat as a runner toss him in. Won't offer as much as Baker as a blocker off the bat and neither will be as good as Conner, but I think the difference might be small enough that their ability to contribute in other areas (at least Ganaway's if he develops, Baker's for now) outweighs Conner being a better blocker. It's mind boggling to me that the Jets have literally spent 5 picks on RB's/FB's the last four years and NONE of them have turned out to be anything better than average at best - and 3 of those selections were third or fourth round picks. Tangent there, but just a thought.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:29 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Mark Sanchez is a fascinating player. I kid you not.

HC, GM, OC, critics, fans, and even children of his from 5 unforeseen years KNEW that Sanchez had no supporting cast (WR) and yet he played like it was his job to lose. Christ! After Holmes, there is no game ready WRs on the squad right now, they need a passing game to win OC or HC's trust.

I noticed Hill because of Tebow. Christ! Despite what Rex Ryan said about leadership of Sanchez', it is clear he lacks it. PERIOD. Christ!

On Sparano's offense....

Did he fail to be acknowledged that Giants are one of the best pass rush defense in NFL for endless consecutive years? Why the F did Jets play a long developing offense? I only can give him a benefit of doubt if it was a purpose to test out OL but the way Jets had played they still babysat Sanchez. Way to kill the team spirit, Sparano.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was reading on espn new york (not a rumor, just a what if/idea). Of the Jets trading for Jason Smith (Rams), or bringing back Kareem McKenzie.

Right now I'd take anyone, except Jeff Otah

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:35 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Nathan Overbay and Fenuki Tupou are cut.

After claiming RB Jeremy Stewart, I don't know where Jets are sitting in the waiver order. Overbay is a solid blocking TE. Tupoou is a power mauler.

Overbay is injuried so I am not sure how serious is it but if he clears the waiver then he can go back to Lions for IR.

Tupou has yet to find a home as Tackle but I highly doubt Jets will get a veteran or proven T to replace Hunter. Won't hurt to get him and find out.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:41 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I think the Jets should trade for Anthony Collins. Would be a great move, and he's pretty much expendable from the Bengals' perspective. It won't happen though. I still think they should've gone after him this offseason.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

I dont remember what show it was, but I heard an intriguing question that I couldn't come up with one answer I felt was really above the others and I couldnt tell whether that was a good or bad thing for the jets. Ill assume bad.

Basically the gist was that considering there is usually one big time surprise player that takes his game to the next level and propels his team to a few more wins/a playoff birth/ a superbowl/etc. If there was one linchpin player for the Jets that could be that guy, who would it be?

I think ultimately its still Sanchez, as seems to be the case every year, but the only reason I somewhat disagree wtih my own choice is because without an O-line, him taking a step forward wont really have a huge impact. Additionally, i thought that perhaps a dominant defense may be more key than Sanchez given how much of the offense will seemingly be geared towards keeping the ball away from sanchez.

The next guy I thought of, oddly, was Cromartie. If he has a year where he gets a ton of takeaways and has opportunities with the ball in his hands (on offense, kicks, picks, whatever) he could really turn that secondary into an impossible proposition for any team.

I then thought Shonn Greene, but ultimatley I think hes a pretty weak answer because he is overall line dependent.

I even thought Maybin for a split second.

Id love to hear some other answers and rationale .
Old 08-23-2012, 12:05 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Wayne Hunter, benched.

As for your thing above Josh, I've got a couple of thoughts. One of Powell/McKnight/Ganaway - Greene is really line dependent, if somebody emerges who isn't line dependent and can contribute in the passing game it could be somebody for the offense to build around. My opinion is that the team doesn't throw the ball well enough to run the ball after setting up the pass and doesn't run the ball well enough to throw the ball after setting up the run which is why the offense sucks. If that changes, things could start to open up. McKnight could do good things on special teams too.

Another would be Stephen Hill, a similar concept to the RB idea. If he becomes a legit deep threat and somebody defenses have to pay attention to, it does a few of things. One, it means that he's creating some big plays which is big. Two, it means he gets safety attention which opens things up for Holmes and Keller to get separation. And three, it pushes defenses back a bit since they respect the pass and opens up running lanes.

Also along the lines of your Cromartie pick, Landry could do a lot of the same things plus help the way the team defends tight ends although he's obviously not as much of a playmaker with the ball in his hands. If he stays healthy it's a huge gamechanger for a defense that hasn't really had a huge presence in the middle for awhile or a legit safety for that matter since probably Kerry Rhodes before he became a prima donna.

Really though, the team will probably go as far as Sanchez takes them.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:50 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

It wont be easy to get Anthony Collins because Andre Smith is set to be UFA after this season and could eye for a fat contract. Collins will only make 1.3m next year.

I don't bother to talk about how failure is the offense this year. It is unhealthy to repeat comments.

I wonder what if LaRon Landry plays well enough to warrant to an extension contract or look for bigger contract. Scott and Pace contracts could be restructured in favor of keeping Landry. What if Landry becomes lemon after new contract is signed. If Landry plays a half of this season then he is not worth new contract but it could hurt Jets defense.

I am bemused by Jets keeping playing Wilson inside when he is clearly not fit. 5 7 tall Trufant has played outside instead. Did I miss something?
Old 08-23-2012, 01:34 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Jets checked Marcus McNeil out. Retired LT with bad back. we will see.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:43 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Wayne Hunter, benched.
The new answer to my question may be Austin Howard.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh07039 View Post
The new answer to my question may be Austin Howard.
I think this move should've been made a long time ago. Essentially we're left with a question of, how much worse could it get than Hunter? Howard will hopefully be able to at least get more push in the run game. If he can cut down on the mental mistakes and give up less sacks, it's a huge win for the offense.

Hunter has just been regressing at this point. In Howard the Jets have a young (25), athletic (6'7, 330+) guy to attempt to mold. Hopefully he continues to improve after getting the starting spot and at the end of the year ends up proving to be the Jets' long-term answer at right tackle. If not, the RT spot will probably actually be a priority position heading into this offseason (though we all thought it would be a priority this year and it got completely ignored). Not sure Tannenbaum is dumb enough to make the exact same mistake again.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:00 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Don't know about Howard being athletic. Maybe for his size but for game itself he is not enough.

Hunter is reverting back to blocking TE. Thank Devil.

Vollmer, Gosdner and Andre Smith are good choices to invest in for RT job after this season but I am not sure whether or not Jets will pay more than 5mm total annually for RT job.

Drafting 1st round pick to play RT is not a fan of mine. 2nd-4th round pick is perfect ideal for my liking but Tanny traditionally burns middle round picks to make impossible to land a good RT.

Jets are inquiring about Winston Justice who is making 1.5mm this year. Please NO. Howard or cheap pick up via the waiver will do right now without losing any middle round picks.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:08 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

OT Edawn Coughman is cut by Seahawks. Go for it, Jets.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well, 12 quarters, 36 drives and 173 plays without a TD this preseason ..... thoughts ......
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote