Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 08-13-2012, 03:19 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe This Year Mayhew View Post
It's between Everette Brown and Andre Fluellen for that 9th Dline last spot. Fluellen can play both DT/DE(in a pinch) but Brown is more explosive.

Lewis is a lock for special teams. They may keep one less LB because they kept 7 last year and one Ekejinuba was a special team player only at LB. So Lewis sticks there as DE but really just a special team player. They used a formation with Suh/Fairely/Corey Williams 3 DL and Ronnel Lewis rushing standing up in practice that was interesting.

RB Best,Kevin Smith are locks unless Best gets really bad news with the concussion. They have been using Logan as RB and he was kept as KR/PR/WR last year. But he depends on if he wins the return job and Best's health. LeShoure won't count the first 2 weeks with suspension so it's possible they keep both Keiland Williams and Joique Bell until LeShoure is back Week 3. I don't think they keep a FB and use Will Heller as an HB like last year. Though James Bryant has looked good in camp at FB.
Ahh thanks for the update I would say Brown would have the edge over Fluellen if he keeps his play up. But I think Fluellen has been with them for a few years right?

Williams doesnt seem like he has anything special to me he seems like a solid back I just dont see him with upside like a do with someone like Bell.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:37 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan View Post
Ahh thanks for the update I would say Brown would have the edge over Fluellen if he keeps his play up. But I think Fluellen has been with them for a few years right?

Williams doesnt seem like he has anything special to me he seems like a solid back I just dont see him with upside like a do with someone like Bell.
Fluellen has been with the team since 2008. He's a Florida State guy too like Brown. Marinelli loved him which is why he was drafted in Round 3. Fluellen sniffed around free agency with Cincy but came back to Detroit.

Williams was supposed to be short yardage last year when LeShoure went down. He didn't excel. He's good in pass protection but he just didn't show any running ability like the flashes he showed with the Redskins.

Joique Bell is a local kid. Grew up in Michigan, went to Wayne State(in Detroit) and boucned around the league. Picked him up off waivers from the Saints last season. Hope he does well.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From what I saw cutting Everette Brown would be a mistake.

Best has to start practicing soon or he's headed for the PUP.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
From what I saw cutting Everette Brown would be a mistake.

Best has to start practicing soon or he's headed for the PUP.
How does PUP work? Does he have to miss 6 games or is it 6 weeks. Lions have a bye week 5 so if he just misses the first 4 and Philly, I would love to have him back at Chicago at least(since he does pretty well against Chicago)

And do you know if he has to continue getting concussion tests. Once he's cleared is he good to go or will he get tests every week or just every time he shows some symptoms.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys I know its preseason and all but do you guys think that it might be time to trade Cliff Avril? I mean the rest of the DE's have been getting the job done and Avril would garner a hefty price I'd say at least a first round selection. It would also be a load off from our cap situation which is going to start to get tight once Stafford and Suh start contract negotiations. Not to mention that Delmas also is going to need to be resigned as well.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How does PUP work? Does he have to miss 6 games or is it 6 weeks. Lions have a bye week 5 so if he just misses the first 4 and Philly, I would love to have him back at Chicago at least(since he does pretty well against Chicago)

And do you know if he has to continue getting concussion tests. Once he's cleared is he good to go or will he get tests every week or just every time he shows some symptoms.
Six games, not weeks.

As for the tests I really don't know. All I know is they will be watching him closely.

Honestly, I have a feeling in the back of my mind the guy is out for the year and his career is in jeopardy.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
Hey guys I know its preseason and all but do you guys think that it might be time to trade Cliff Avril? I mean the rest of the DE's have been getting the job done and Avril would garner a hefty price I'd say at least a first round selection. It would also be a load off from our cap situation which is going to start to get tight once Stafford and Suh start contract negotiations. Not to mention that Delmas also is going to need to be resigned as well.
Since the franchise signing deadline is passed I don't think he could sign anything but the franchise deal with his new team. Meaning he won't be traded for a 1st. Plus KVB has some knee issues in practice it seems so they won't be trading Avril no matter what Young does.

Avril will walk next year most likely(although there is a small window before free agency for re-signing) and even once he hits free agency Chris Houston and Tulloch both came back so Lions could match an offer they agree with. However, that 10.6 million in space definitely can be used elsewhere.

And long term deals with Stafford and Suh would actually be a good thing in the short term (low base salary). Based on the restructures they have done Stafford is over 20 million cap hit next season and Suh is around 18 million. One of them needs an extension next season to make it manageable to get Houston/Delmas back. It won't save as much as the Calvin long term deal because Stafford/Suh have more years but they need to have low base salarys because the allocated bonus money is already getting big for Stafford and Suh.

Corey Williams, Hanson, Raiola, KVB and Burleson, this may be their last year also. First two are free agents. Last 3 will be in the last year of their deal but have bigger cap numbers than they are worth. KVB is the only one I see taking a straight pay cut like Donald Driver did.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

LeShoure practicing today!!!! Only individual drills but still some progress

How many yards do you think he will get this year in 14 games?

Last edited by Maybe This Year Mayhew : 08-15-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
LeShoure practicing today!!!! Only individual drills but still some progress

How many yards do you think he will get this year in 14 games?
I want to see his burst after his injury. Achilles can be really hard to come back from. I'd say 600-750 yrds.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Quote:
I want to see his burst after his injury. Achilles can be really hard to come back from. I'd say 600-750 yrds.
Yeah it all depends on his carries really. 125 carries(9 a game in 14 games) 4.0 YPC is 500 yards. I say 4.0 YPC because that is what Maurice Morris did so it's the low bar set though Keiland Williams was lower than that last year in YPC. Best was 4.6 YPC in 84 carries(a few big runs) and Kevin Smith was 4.9 YPC in 72 carries(one big game). But Best may be on PUP per ESPN which would suck but not suprising.

200 carries(14 a game in 14 games) at 4.0 YPC is 800 yards. 200*4.2 YPC is only 840, 4.5 YPC*200=900. I don't see him topping that and him getting to 200 carries is pushing it because it requires a little over 14 carries a game for 14 games. I hope Kevin Smith plays like he did against Carolina/early Green Bay game and stays healthy for once.

The good news is with Best we scored 27 PPG offensively(removing the defensive scores) and without Best we still scored 26 PPG(removing defensive scores). Stafford/Calvin stepped up, Smith did against Carolina, some more defensive scores and we'll need Titus Young/Pettigrew/Scheffler to do more.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Lions looked sloppy on Friday against Ravens other than Stafford to Calvin. Oline did a solid job.

Discpline was terrible. 6 penalties on the starting D including two 15 yarders(though the one on Durant was bogus), 2 bad blocks on returns special teams. Lions need to get this fixed ASAP.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Lions looked sloppy on Friday against Ravens other than Stafford to Calvin. Oline did a solid job.

Discpline was terrible. 6 penalties on the starting D including two 15 yarders(though the one on Durant was bogus), 2 bad blocks on returns special teams. Lions need to get this fixed ASAP.
I would like them to do something to reduce the penalties. Its hard to play defense anymore without getting a penalty but the Lions should be able to do better.

Maurice Jones Drew might be available? Call up JAX?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:18 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They'd be dumb enough to trade him to us. Instead of blowing a first or 2nd rounder every year, I'd take MJD. I don't know if we can fit under the salary cap, but he'd be worth it.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
They'd be dumb enough to trade him to us. Instead of blowing a first or 2nd rounder every year, I'd take MJD. I don't know if we can fit under the salary cap, but he'd be worth it.
No cap room for that unless they trade Avril and a pick. Don't know if that is even possible and Avril can't play on anything other than one year deal so Jags would be taking a huge risk. Plus that would eat up cap into the following years with Jones-Drew(who isn't that young and has alot of wear and tear) and make it very difficult to re-sign Louis Delmas, Chris Houston, Justin Durant, Levy, Sammie Lee Hill, Corey Williams, Hanson. Plus Staffords and Suhs contract sky rocket next season. Something needs to be done with them long term with a low base salary to start like Calvin.

Signing Jones-Drew puts the Lions all in for this year the defense at least. Offense is locked up long term.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Game against the Raiders injuries really sucked. Stafford and Smith seem to be fine, hopefully Chris Houston and Bill Bentley get better quickly.

I liked the turnovers forced and special teams coverage. Decent discipline with penalties other than Gosder hold and Tulloch offsie. Stafford moved the ball well that first drive. 8/10 I'll take.

Shaun Hill in the redzone is where Stafford separates from him. Two great opportunities after the kick return and Young pick and only a FG.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

I thought Leshoure looked like he was running through water. He made a couple guys miss and showed his toughness as a runner but the burst wasn't there.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

http://blogs.detroitlions.com/2012/0...f-derek-dimke/

Cuts

Quote:
Among those players are fullback James Bryant, receiver Jarett Dillard, running back Stephfon Green, safety Sean Jones, guard Jacques McClendon, linebacker Slade Norris, guard J.C. Oram, defensive tackle Bobby Skinner and receiver Terrence Toliver.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:59 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Quote:
I thought Leshoure looked like he was running through water. He made a couple guys miss and showed his toughness as a runner but the burst wasn't there.
LeShoure looked ok but he had absolutely no holes. Decent speed on the reception and he falls forward at least.

Chris Greenwood on PUP as well. 4 more roster moves to come. Maybe 5, since the Lions traded for nickel back from the Skins Kevin Barnes. Unknown on what they gave up. Former 3rd round pick from 2009 6'1 190 lbs played in the slot and a game at safety for the Skins. Barnes has to be better than Alphonso Smith, Justin Miller or Jonte Green. And I sure hope Houston and Bentley get healthy.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

And Jahvid Best on PUP. Saw that coming but still uggghhhh. Talent is there for that home run threat and RB receiving option.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
LeShoure looked ok but he had absolutely no holes. Decent speed on the reception and he falls forward at least.

Chris Greenwood on PUP as well. 4 more roster moves to come. Maybe 5, since the Lions traded for nickel back from the Skins Kevin Barnes. Unknown on what they gave up. Former 3rd round pick from 2009 6'1 190 lbs played in the slot and a game at safety for the Skins. Barnes has to be better than Alphonso Smith, Justin Miller or Jonte Green. And I sure hope Houston and Bentley get healthy.
Yeah, the run blocking on SAT was pretty bad, at least on with the first team. Didn't really give him a chance to get going down hill. I think Kevin Smith can hold down the RB spot if he's healthy but that isn't going to happen. Need Leshoure to break out week 3.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, the run blocking on SAT was pretty bad, at least on with the first team. Didn't really give him a chance to get going down hill. I think Kevin Smith can hold down the RB spot if he's healthy but that isn't going to happen. Need Leshoure to break out week 3.
Rams we won't need to run that much. 49ers we won't be able to run. They stop everybody so LeShoure won't matter. Week 3 time to need LeShoure.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone know what the Colts gave up to grab Vontae Davis from the 'Phins? He would've been worth a flyer imo, despite his character issues...

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noondog View Post
Anyone know what the Colts gave up to grab Vontae Davis from the 'Phins? He would've been worth a flyer imo, despite his character issues...
They gave up a 2nd and a conditional 6th

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Alphonso Smith cut. Thank goodness