Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Russell Wilson is starting for the Seahawks next week. Looks like Flynn is not too impressive thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:47 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im loving wilson lately cant wait to watch him play as a starter this week, i never thought flynn was that great....top 5 backup QB and a good guy to have around, but a bottom 10 starting QB
Old 08-21-2012, 11:50 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think in the right offense, Wilson can be successful. He has the tools so if an offensive coordinator can figure out a way to minimize the effects of his lack of height, I think he could be a decent starter.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 08-21-2012, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Ness
Legend

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His height might not turn out to be a problem in terms of seeing down the field. He'll probably get a few more batted balls though.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:29 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
His height might not turn out to be a problem in terms of seeing down the field. He'll probably get a few more batted balls though.
Wisconsin's offense line is bigger then most in the NFL and it wasn't a problem. I watched every game and don't see it being an issue.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:32 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
im loving wilson lately cant wait to watch him play as a starter this week, i never thought flynn was that great....top 5 backup QB and a good guy to have around, but a bottom 10 starting QB
I agree. That's exactly how I feel about Flynn, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ultimately goes back to Green Bay as the long-term backup to Rodgers. I just don't feel like he's a quality starter in the NFL.
WCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerLegend View Post
Wisconsin's offense line is bigger then most in the NFL and it wasn't a problem. I watched every game and don't see it being an issue.
It's not.

Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:59 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I agree. That's exactly how I feel about Flynn, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ultimately goes back to Green Bay as the long-term backup to Rodgers. I just don't feel like he's a quality starter in the NFL.
good for him getting a crack at a starting job, but GB handled it very smart. He would be an asset to them if he eventually returned
Old 08-21-2012, 01:01 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yep i'm a big fan of Russell Wilson. If the season doesn't go as planned for Seattle, I wouldn't be surprised if he's starting by the end of the season. I'd like to see him out there as well.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:05 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

The videos you posted don't really prove much at all in terms of whether or not his height will be a disadvantage.

Against the Titans he threw the ball 17 times. Half (8) were on roll outs. Of the nine pocket passes, four were dump offs where he didn't need to see over the line. So of his 17 passes, only five were plays where the offensive line comes into play. One was tipped by the defensive line, one was intercepted. His deep ball to Edwards was nice and he did have a nice pass from the pocket over the middle.

Like I said, if he is in the right offense, he can be successful. That offense is going to have to have 75% roll outs. There are two issues with that. First, rolling out basically removes half of the field you can throw to unless they want Wilson throwing across his body to the opposite side of the field Brett Favre style. The second issue is he will be opening himself up to a ton of hits.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 08-21-2012, 01:24 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Russell Wilson is starting for the Seahawks next week. Looks like Flynn is not too impressive thus far.
First off Wilson starting this week doesn't mean he'll start the opener and second Flynn has been fine this preseason. I'd say he's exactly who they thought he was coming in.

Flynn's major impairment during the exhibition season is he's had to throw to Terrell Owens. Not sure i'd want that dubious distinction.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The videos you posted don't really prove much at all in terms of whether or not his height will be a disadvantage.

Against the Titans he threw the ball 17 times. Half (8) were on roll outs. Of the nine pocket passes, four were dump offs where he didn't need to see over the line. So of his 17 passes, only five were plays where the offensive line comes into play. One was tipped by the defensive line, one was intercepted. His deep ball to Edwards was nice and he did have a nice pass from the pocket over the middle.

Like I said, if he is in the right offense, he can be successful. That offense is going to have to have 75% roll outs. There are two issues with that. First, rolling out basically removes half of the field you can throw to unless they want Wilson throwing across his body to the opposite side of the field Brett Favre style. The second issue is he will be opening himself up to a ton of hits.
Well put, but this looks like the right offense. And honestly, I don't quite understand why some people are so adamant that his height will suddenly become an issue once he's playing with starters. Starters aren't any taller than backups in the NFL. Drew Brees is pretty much exactly the same height. If he starts getting lots of passes batted down, you might make the argument that he's too short, but I just don't get why people continue to insist he's too short when he's not getting passes batted. I think he had one pass batted between those two videos, and it was on a screen play. Tom Brady gets screen passes batted down. Every quarterback in the NFL has had a screen pass get swatted down at the line. As far as rollouts go, his playing style is perfectly suited for that; that's what the Eagles and Saints do - they have their QBs throw from a bunch of different places on the field, and they've been successful doing that. Much closer to Vick than Doug Flutie, except his head's on straight.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 08-21-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:16 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember criticizing Solder's play last season. He looked like he had no idea what was coming at him last night.

That could be because Logan Mankins wasn't beside him. He was basically the only starter on the OL last night (unless Koppen starts at center). Marcus Cannon looked terrible last night. He simply couldn't get to the outside. His powerful blocking is totally lost as a tackle, because ends just seem to knock him on his butt.

Solder still has serious technical issues to workout. He's no where near ready to be a shutdown blindside tackle and he isn't a RT.

However, it's hard to criticize an OL when the QB behind them is a backup and the WRs he's throwing to are backups as well. There was a lot of plays that could have been executed better last night.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have to disagree, the OL had far more to do with the offense not running so smoothly then Mallet or the Wrs. Not to tsya Mallet played particularly well, but the OL was far and away the biggest issue for the second game straight. It is something we really need to be worried about, especially now that Mario is in the division. Brady is going to get killed if this is a preview of things to come, we really need to hope for no injuries to the O-line. We can't afford it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You're right, but Wisconsin's coaches did a ton of research and found that Russell Wilson actually gets his passes deflected very rarely, regardless of his height. I wish I could find the exact numbers but I remember reading that 5"10" Wilson had far fewer passes deflected at the line than 6'7" Brock Osweiler. Wilson just has a knack for finding throwing lanes.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:42 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:24 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
You're right, but Wisconsin's coaches did a ton of research and found that Russell Wilson actually gets his passes deflected very rarely, regardless of his height. I wish I could find the exact numbers but I remember reading that 5"10" Wilson had far fewer passes deflected at the line than 6'7" Brock Osweiler. Wilson just has a knack for finding throwing lanes.
Russell Wilson's release point is arching overhead when he throws, and typically is higher than it is for guys like Romo or Cutler.

Short QBs occasionally find success in the NFL and IMO Wilson is one of those guys whose height isn't going to be a detriment.

I've always said if Russell Wilson had been 6'2, he would have been a top 10 pick and probably be in a Browns uni right now.