Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 08-27-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Russell Wilson is lined up for the next Joe Montana. I am so jealous.

I can "guarantee" you that Matt Simms will pass for Jets' first touchdown of the preseason against Eagles.

Austin Howard story... He played way way back early in the game but he adjusted and stayed closer to a defensive player. I don't care what people say about Charlie Johnson being one of best pass rushers because he played soft which was easy for Howard to maintain.

His footwork and knee bender looked good. He can lock up at LOS and seemingly could mirror pass rusher outside the pocket. The pass protection elapse is much better. However, I still do think Jets need to pick OT off the waiver because We the people already know that Hunter is not a good backup T.

LaRon Landry looks a force defensively. I hope he stays healthy for the entire championship season. Forget 2013 or beyond that.

Wilkerson, Ellis and Coples is going to be dangerous DL in NFL for next 5 years. Watch it.

Sanchez still uses a long stride before throwing a football. It's not good. Tebow is still awful enough to make me think 15 pass attempt for a season will be a maximum for him. Very predictable.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 12:07 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Josh Baker is done. So much my high expectation. grr...

Nick Bellore vs. John Connor for FB job? oh boy!
Old 08-27-2012, 12:59 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know how he's been doing, but I hope that guy Hayden Smith, the rugby player gets a shot at doing something. I heard he was a really good athlete with good hands and hes huge.

As for the game, the offensive was ****, but the defense showed potential. Those three young d-lineman can hopefully hold down rotation spots for years to come. Ellis looked better than he ever has, Coples was a beast, and Wilkerson has been solid.

Unless they truly plan on using Tebow all over the formation as a tight end, full back, and h-back(I dont even know that will work, but its different than what we have seen in the preseason), I dont really see where this offense is going to get yards/points from.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 02:44 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

I think Hayden Smith will be on IPS (international practice squad).

Nick Folk wins the job?

Old 08-27-2012, 07:53 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just traded Wayne Hunter for Rams OL Jason Smith. At least Smith has the - physical tools???

Not official yet

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-st-louis-rams

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:36 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip View Post
Just traded Wayne Hunter for Rams OL Jason Smith. At least Smith has the - physical tools???

Not official yet

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...-st-louis-rams

Wow, another moronic move is made by Jets. If Howard is destined to be a full time starter then cutting Hunter and signing 1 or 2 OT off the waiver is the way to go.

If you think anyone is guaranteed to be better than Hunter then why bother to bring in a freaking 4 million dollar man who offers nothing in pass protection. Never mind, if Smith is lined up as a starter over Howard.

What an amazing change in for Smith's spot financially!! 10mm, restructured 4mm, traded in 2.45mm. Lucky Rams.

To the point of what will Smith bring in for Jets, his run blocking is still good and may be useful for Sporano's pound and ground offense. He is not ideal for playing G because of his 2 severe concussions. Thats all I know of.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Smith is a good run blocker, I'm fine with the trade. They'll use him as the blocking TE when we want to pound the ball.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:42 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't care that they are willing to take on a few extra mill to take a flyer on giving a seeming bust a frest start.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:49 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Smith and Hunter basically are same. However, you are all forgiven, Tanny.

Rams technically pay 4mm for back up OT and Jets still pay 2.45 mm for back up OT. No problem.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:07 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Wow, another moronic move is made by Jets. If Howard is destined to be a full time starter then cutting Hunter and signing 1 or 2 OT off the waiver is the way to go.

If you think anyone is guaranteed to be better than Hunter then why bother to bring in a freaking 4 million dollar man who offers nothing in pass protection. Never mind, if Smith is lined up as a starter over Howard.

What an amazing change in for Smith's spot financially!! 10mm, restructured 4mm, traded in 2.45mm. Lucky Rams.

To the point of what will Smith bring in for Jets, his run blocking is still good and may be useful for Sporano's pound and ground offense. He is not ideal for playing G because of his 2 severe concussions. Thats all I know of.

Smith went #2 overall. The Jets may believe there is something that can be salvaged from him. His contract will be 4m this year (though it will have a 13 million dollar roster bonus next year).

Wayne Hunter was a total liability. Yes, his contract was only in the 2.5 million range (I saw 1.5 somewhere else), which is 1.5 cheaper... but... he isn't going to get appreciably better.

I actually thought this was a better move by the Jets then the Rams. Neither team probably got anything out of this deal, though, because neither guy will probably play more than 5 snaps all year.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Jason Smith went to 2nd overall selection because of his high ceiling value but since then he has suffered 2 severe concussions and spinal injury that lingered his developmental process. Right now, he is basically worse than what he would be when he was drafted.

Originally, I thought Jets shipped Hunter out for paying extra 1.55mm to obtain Smith. It was a leak and the trade was not official. Once the trade is official, Smith signed new contract with Rams for 1.55 SB and 2.45 seasonal guarantee which is transferred to Jets. That means Jets and Rams payrolls remain same afterwards. That makes sense. I no longer have a qualms with giving Smith a change of scenery opportunity.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:42 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is a move with little risk and a decent potential reward. Like you said Yoto, the salaries match based on the Rams paying out a bonus before he was traded. Hunter was going to do absolutely nothing for the Jets. Worst case scenario (and most likely scenario IMO) Smith amounts to pretty much nothing, so he's basically what Hunter was. Best case scenario he benefits from the wake up call of being traded and playing in a new system with better linemen around him and turns it around - similar to Maybin actually. Not a bad gamble, hopefully the Jets get lucky and it pans out. I still think in the near term Howard's going to be starting unless Smith takes the world by storm though and wouldn't be surprised if he holds onto the job the rest of the season.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:43 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=806...hip-conference

I can't tell what difference between a conference and a rehab.

Ganaway is auditioning for FB job. I hope he can pick up somebody to block.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:47 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like to see Ganaway take the FB job from Conner eventually. Conner really hasn't shown much, for a blocking FB he's pretty inconsistent. At least Ganaway can run the ball some. Frankly I'd like to see them roll with more single back sets and use two TE's or three WR's anyway.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:51 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

I kinda want tim hightower. I know hes coming off an acl problem, but if hes around after a week or two of our guys sucking it might be worth taking a flier on him. Im not saying the run game wont be successful but I would be more surprised if the jets had a good running game than if they did not.

Also maybe Jabar Gafney or Deion Branch?

Last edited by josh07039 : 08-31-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would take a flier om Gafney. Decent veteran who could probably start for us. Chris Cooley is another guy I want. He could line up in the backfield and on the line.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:04 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I'd take a shot on pretty much any of those guys. Cooley would be big since frankly there's only two tight ends on the roster, neither of whom is a legit tight end, and there's not much at FB on the roster either. Apparently they have no interest though. I'd imagine they'll have to bring in some tight end who gets cut. Shiancoe would be solid.

The WR's I think would be good, but I'm not sure who gets cut for them. Holmes, Hill, and Kerley are all obviously making the roster. Turner should stick because he and Sanchez have a good rapport, and White has a good chance to stick because he's played pretty well so far. Looks like Schilens will stick because Lal loves him too.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:17 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
I'd take a shot on pretty much any of those guys. Cooley would be big since frankly there's only two tight ends on the roster, neither of whom is a legit tight end, and there's not much at FB on the roster either. Apparently they have no interest though. I'd imagine they'll have to bring in some tight end who gets cut. Shiancoe would be solid.

The WR's I think would be good, but I'm not sure who gets cut for them. Holmes, Hill, and Kerley are all obviously making the roster. Turner should stick because he and Sanchez have a good rapport, and White has a good chance to stick because he's played pretty well so far. Looks like Schilens will stick because Lal loves him too.
Yeah I forgot Cooley. Even if he hasn't been the most healthy or productive lately, I think he would be perfect for the Jets.

When I look at the Jets recievers, I feel like everyone on the depth chart is perfect for the spot behind. Santonio would be a great number 2, Kerley would be a fine three, and a raw guy like Stephen Hill would be perfect to start the season getting more limited time until he can refine some skills. Stephen Hill seems like he will outplay the 4 slot but I feel like its always good to start rookies with low expectations at wr. Getting Jafney or Branch would allow us to, at least, slot Kerley back. Then again, Kerley and Stephen Hill have good tools and could surprise us.

With the whole outlook of the team, it seems like it depends on some guys taking huge huge steps up and vastly overachieving.

EDIT: Ganaway is cut but they want him for the practice squad.

Last edited by josh07039 : 08-31-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:39 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Yeah, I don't have a ton of faith in the team at this point. Frankly the offense needs something to build around, whether it's a do everything RB, a QB, even a stud TE to run two TE sets with Keller or a legit dominant WR (both of which seem unlikely) it's something. Better than what they have now. But they need somebody who defenses need to scheme around and can still produce when they do. Right now, who's really going to hurt you if you don't focus that much on them? And if anybody fits into that category, if you do focus on them you can pretty much limit them significantly.

The one saving grace I think is the schedule this season. Lots of games against young QB's should be helpful with as good as the defense is going to be and the kind of schemes that can confuse young quarterbacks. The Jets should be seeing Tannehill twice, Luck, Gabbert, Locker, Wilson, and Skelton. Even Bradford is just a third year guy and has a shaky OL. They won't win all of those games, but I think they can win enough of those and enough of the games against other teams (Bills and Pats twice, Texans, 49ers, Chargers, Steelers) to be somewhere around .500 even with the terrible offense.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:12 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

I gotta say, even though I think this team could be terrible, I also realize that I have no idea what is going to happen. For all the talk and secrecy about the offense, its possible that they just have nothing but a typical Tebow option offense for a few plays a game, but maybe they have thought up some inventive scheme where Tebow lines up all over the field with Sanchez at Qb. I would love to see Tebow catching the ball or carrying it. Maybe its crazy to think that he could be a wespon like that after never having done it in his career , but who the hell knows? Tebow is a beast and a hell of an athlete.

With the defense, they have a chance to have a better pass rush than they have ever had under Ryan if all the young lineman (Coples, Ellis, Wilkerson) can step up. With a full training camp with the jets and some confidence, maybe Maybin really takes advantage of his athleticism. I mean, its a lot of ifs, but at the very least, the defense looks much improved from last year at every level with the two new safeties, draft picks coming in, and maturation of other young guys.

Weirdest team ever though. No clue man.

Last edited by josh07039 : 09-01-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:31 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Tebow offense is in the secrets as players who are guaranteed to start have practiced this offense for week 1 game, not preseason games. It is probably the reason why Jets refused to release Hunter. Jets traded Hunter to the Rams, who we will play against on Week 11 instead of letting him sign with any opponents in first regular 3 weeks. After 3 weeks, the secrets are out completely.

It is still pathetic.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:48 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Is it pathetic or genius? Who knows? Im leaning towards pathetic because the level of success needed to justify the secrecy is too high at this point.

However, I often feel that many football truths are often stubborn dogmas rather than based on continual proof of effectiveness. Maybe they came up with something stupid enough to work? Even if it is unrealistic to expect true innovation, maybe they create a new gimmick offense that works for a season?

I hope they are unconventional and not just stupid but so arrogant that they think they are clever.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:06 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Agreed. I certainly hope Jets don't overuse gimmicks desperately to win games.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:58 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Bummed to see Antonio Allen get cut. Thought he'd been playing well. Seems like he essentially got cut for Gates which seems like a strange move to me, obviously Sparano liked Gates I guess. Hopefully Allen gets through waivers and ends up on the practice squad and eventually makes his way back onto the team. Cutting Dixon for Aaitui seemed strange to me also.

Funny, people complain about Tannenbaum trading draft picks, but 4 of the 5 guys drafted in round 6 or later got cut. I get the mid rounders, but those late round picks are so hit or miss and if your team is alright anyway a lot of those guys are going to get cut. Surprising and they could have drafted better, but not necessarily strange. I didn't really mind when they had no late day 3 picks and just let UDFA's compete for those spots. Trading early or mid round picks is a problem though.

Last edited by derza222 : 09-01-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:30 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Jets cut Conley without adding any punter to the roster. I guess Tim Tebow will do some punting. lol. First secret revealed.

Edit: False Alarm. Jets sign Robert Malone.

Last edited by YotoJets007 : 09-04-2012 at 05:52 PM.