Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:29 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sure thing boss

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:32 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah about the whole giving yourself up thing was brought up, i have to say that i didn't agree with it. But thinking about QB kneeling, and how opposing teams could refuse to tackle the offensive player in order to get rid of time, i think i agree with it a little. But still, i thought that it shouldve been a fumble at first

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For a fanbase that generally gives a lot of slack to rookies, it's surprising how upset you guys are about the new ref's taking a little extra time to make sure they get calls right :P

Show a little compassion - they're trying to do their job to the best of their abilities I'm sure.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:06 AM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Did anyone else think they actually did a pretty good job tonight? There were a lot of penalties(especially on that one Dallas drive) but I can't really pinpoint any bad calls or missed calls. The Cruz play might be the only one that comes to mind but even the regular refs miss a few calls.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:10 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Bertuzzi View Post
Did anyone else think they actually did a pretty good job tonight? There were a lot of penalties(especially on that one Dallas drive) but I can't really pinpoint any bad calls or missed calls. The Cruz play might be the only one that comes to mind but even the regular refs miss a few calls.
Nope, the Dallas OL earned all of them and still won.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:11 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was impressed by the replacement refs this game. They did miss that hold on Cruz, but I've seen worse penalties than that missed by the regular refs. I think they called a good game.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:13 AM    (permalink
WCH
Pro Bowler

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't really notice a difference between these refs and the regular refs. They seemed like a typical NFL officiating team.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:45 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Bertuzzi View Post
They looked pretty sharp tonight. Score one for the NFL.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I find alot of the criticism of the replacement refs to be misguided. They are pawns in the chess match between the NFL and NFLRA. The blame should be 95% focused on those two entities that are unable to compromise.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:14 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
I find alot of the criticism of the replacement refs to be misguided. They are pawns in the chess match between the NFL and NFLRA. The blame should be 95% focused on those two entities that are unable to compromise.
There is apparently as much as a $70 million gap between the two sides monetarily and also, the NFL wants to keep a "bench" of inactive refs who they can "call up" to replace struggling referees in seasons, something they don't have right now.

Obviously, the real refs want no part of that "bench" idea.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:19 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
There is apparently as much as a $70 million gap between the two sides monetarily and also, the NFL wants to keep a "bench" of inactive refs who they can "call up" to replace struggling referees in seasons, something they don't have right now.

Obviously, the real refs want no part of that "bench" idea.
Eff the real refs. The replacement refs will be almost as good midway through the season. I mean, this is a part time job for NFL refs.

Tangentially, it seems unsane to me that being an NFL ref 365 days a year isn't part of the job requirement. They should be honing their craft every day instead of being lawyers and dentists, etc...

That **** may have been alright back in the day, but the NFL is a multibillion dollar franchise now and refs need to be the best that they can be.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:04 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Eff the real refs. The replacement refs will be almost as good midway through the season. I mean, this is a part time job for NFL refs.

Tangentially, it seems unsane to me that being an NFL ref 365 days a year isn't part of the job requirement. They should be honing their craft every day instead of being lawyers and dentists, etc...

That **** may have been alright back in the day, but the NFL is a multibillion dollar franchise now and refs need to be the best that they can be.
I agree completely. They should invest in full time Refs- they have the money for it.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:23 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I agree completely. They should invest in full time Refs- they have the money for it.
The NFL wants to. The refs don't want to. They want to continue getting paid a good amount of money plus good benefits for working on the weekend all the while keeping their full time jobs as lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:29 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

they were fine, the announcers will call them out on everything but overall i noticed no difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:43 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, the performance of last night's refs was quite good. The only two mistakes I noticed were calling a block in the back "clipping" and the missed PI on the goal line. (And several people, including Tony Dungy in the broadcast, have said that the missed PI probably would have happened no matter who the refs were.)

But the NFL chose this team for the opener because they were the best group in the preseason. Once the B, C and D level squads hit the fields on Sunday, we might have a different story.

Regardless, last night proved that we can get competent performances out of the replacement refs. And a competent performance is all I ever really want out of any ref.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The refs will get better with time, there is no secret knowledge or skill that makes the current refs the best there can possibly be. They're just the guys that rose up through the ranks. The "good" refs miss calls that affect the outcome of games all the time, we complain about them every year. Maybe getting some new blood will be a good thing, especially if they'll work full-time and actually work hard at getting better.

Officiating will not significantly improve until they actually get some of the refs off the field entirely and put them in the replay booth. With all the angles available via video camera there's no reason game-changing decisions should be made by an old guy that wasn't quite in position to make the right call.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:54 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
The refs will get better with time, there is no secret knowledge or skill that makes the current refs the best there can possibly be. They're just the guys that rose up through the ranks. The "good" refs miss calls that affect the outcome of games all the time, we complain about them every year. Maybe getting some new blood will be a good thing, especially if they'll work full-time and actually work hard at getting better.

Officiating will not significantly improve until they actually get some of the refs off the field entirely and put them in the replay booth. With all the angles available via video camera there's no reason game-changing decisions should be made by an old guy that wasn't quite in position to make the right call.
The NFL has toyed with this idea before but decided it against it. They said they don't want the calls to seem like they're coming down from "the ivory tower." (Basically saying they don't want to give anyone ammunition that they are fudging results for gamblers or anything like that.)

So they've held off, but I think we will see it one day. There was a rumor about a week or two ago (PFT had an article about it) saying that the NFL was thinking about having one on the field official and then having guys in the booth watch for penalties and such. The NFL VERY quickly shot it down, but usually, where there is smoke there is fire.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:57 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
The NFL has toyed with this idea before but decided it against it. They said they don't want the calls to seem like they're coming down from "the ivory tower." (Basically saying they don't want to give anyone ammunition that they are fudging results for gamblers or anything like that.)

So they've held off, but I think we will see it one day. There was a rumor about a week or two ago (PFT had an article about it) saying that the NFL was thinking about having one on the field official and then having guys in the booth watch for penalties and such. The NFL VERY quickly shot it down, but usually, where there is smoke there is fire.
That argument is easily shot down because the same footage can be shown on TV. It will be clear to everyone what the call should have been. I hate when someone argues (I know you aren't personally arguing this BB) against trying to improve because there's a remote chance something bad could happen.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

honestly if the regular refs come back they will probably suck way worse than these guys, the regular refs need preseason every year just like the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:17 PM    (permalink
ConnSKINS26
Rookie

ConnSKINS26 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ConnSKINS26 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ConnSKINS26 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ConnSKINS26 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ConnSKINS26 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ConnSKINS26 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ConnSKINS26 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ConnSKINS26 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ConnSKINS26 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ConnSKINS26 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ConnSKINS26 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
honestly if the regular refs come back they will probably suck way worse than these guys, the regular refs need preseason every year just like the players
To be fair, the refs on strike have been doing their normal routine, if not MORE than usual. They've been having weekly 5-hour conference calls while watching film and taking tests that Hochuli creates....he's a real slave driver it seems. These guys put in WAY more work off the field than on it, and a lot of people don't realize that.

They would be rusty, but they haven't been doing the ref equivalent of sitting on the couch and eating Cheetos, either.
ConnSKINS26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:14 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They ran out the A team last night. Lets see how the rest do.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:17 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im interested in the officiating in games like Jaguars/Vikings... smaller market games.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:41 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its kind of fun to watch, the let the small things go and call most of the obvious things.

Dbs roughing up the Wrs, letting the small holding calls go. Only one i didn't care for was Eli being pushed down, getting a late hit flag.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:32 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
They ran out the A team last night. Lets see how the rest do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Im interested in the officiating in games like Jaguars/Vikings... smaller market games.
This is exactly what is going to be interesting about it. The other prime time games will have the next best crews, but the ones few people will see...who knows.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:35 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

These replacement refs are perfectly average

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote