Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:43 AM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default NFL agrees to extend trade deadline and new IR rules

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
NFLPa Agreed to move trade deadline back and the new IR rule.

IR rule:
NFL decided to tweak IR rules so teams could pick one player to come off injured reserve after Week 8.

Trade Deadline will be extended back by two weeks (not sure if this is what has been done, but that was what was proposed by the owners)

Edit: Trade Deadline is set to the tuesday after week 8 of the season

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:

Last edited by BaLLiN : 08-30-2012 at 11:50 AM.
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:49 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's cool. Both good moves. Last I heard, it was dead in the water because the NFLPA wanted a concession by the league to allow these to pass (even though both benefit the players even more than the league.)

I'm a little surprised that this was agreed to now of all times, with the NFLPA one of the most pissed off parties about the whole replacement officials thing.

And one of the reasons the trade deadline was never extended before was the league worrying it would become too much like MLB or NBA with teams having fire sales right before the deadline and tanking the rest of the year.

But the NFL just isn't like that. Not enough games in a season, not enough time for new acquisitions to acclimate to their new team and system, etc.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:50 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i kinda wish trades happened more in the NFL
Old 08-30-2012, 11:51 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
i kinda wish trades happened more in the NFL
Like I ninja edited into my first post, the NFL will never be like the MLB and NBA in terms of trades. Pushing it back by two weeks might allow for an extra trade or two per year, but we're never going to see the full blown fire sales in the NFL.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:53 AM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
why even bother with the trade deadline? i can't imagine there will be any more trades than there were before.
yeah i don't get this either, but maybe minor players will be able to be traded. I think it will become more like baseball trade deadlines where teams trade a player to a contender in order to get a large compensation.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-30-2012, 11:55 AM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Like I ninja edited into my first post, the NFL will never be like the MLB and NBA in terms of trades. Pushing it back by two weeks might allow for an extra trade or two per year, but we're never going to see the full blown fire sales in the NFL.
while i agree with this, I still think this will ultimately help the lower tier teams get back into competition with teams that are contending for the SB being more aware of their chances, their roster holes, and more willing to give up draft picks because of the higher chance. By week 8, you have a decent idea of playoff hopes.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-30-2012, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I expect David Decastro to be put on this new IR rule.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:11 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
I expect David Decastro to be put on this new IR rule.
That would be logical. Part of me wonders if the Rooneys had something to do with getting this passed now after weeks of it being dead...they might be the most influential owners in the league and they're in a situation with DeCastro that having that IR rule would greatly help.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:13 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
That would be logical. Part of me wonders if the Rooneys had something to do with getting this passed now after weeks of it being dead...they might be the most influential owners in the league and they're in a situation with DeCastro that having that IR rule would greatly help.
Wouldn't surprise me. They do have to carry him on the 53 man roster until after the cut deadline, I believe. So a player they really like that they have to put on waivers for Decastro might end up leaving because of it, for example Adrian Robinson.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:18 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
why even bother with the trade deadline? i can't imagine there will be any more trades than there were before.
If a playoff contender has a guy that has to go to IR go down in week 8, they could go to a team that is out of the playoffs and pay picks to get a good player on their team.

I don't see this as a huge change, but I think some teams will take advantage of it.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:22 PM    (permalink
GaMeTiMe
Veteran

GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GaMeTiMe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
while i agree with this, I still think this will ultimately help the lower tier teams get back into competition with teams that are contending for the SB being more aware of their chances, their roster holes, and more willing to give up draft picks because of the higher chance. By week 8, you have a decent idea of playoff hopes.
This is the key. Pretty much the entire league still has at least a glimpse of hope in week six, and if only not to piss of the fan base and give up on a season 5 or 6 games into the season they would never trade away a contributing player even for good draft-pick compensation. Plus, some of these deals would have to enter preliminary discussion stages a week or two before coming to fruition, giving the organization about 3 games before making a decision.

Teams will have a better idea of their identity now, and have more evidence to better convince their fanbase of any move that puts a damper on the rest of the season

Not expecting any more trades than usual, but this is definitely a huge factor in the decision to push back the deadline.
GaMeTiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The owners wanted the IR rule it was the NFLPA that was dragging their feet. I don't see what Roonet could have done in this situation to change that.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:30 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
The owners wanted the IR rule it was the NFLPA that was dragging their feet. I don't see what Roonet could have done in this situation to change that.
It was completely stuck and dead in the water. The NFLPA wasn't going to pass it without some concession from the NFL, and the NFL wasn't going to give them jack ****.

Then, suddenly, it passes. Just as the team with the most influential owners have a player who the IR rule would help tremendously. It's quite the coincidence if that is all it is. I wonder if some favors were called or strings were pulled. Maybe the NFL really did give something up that we haven't heard about yet.

For now, all there is is this:

Quote:
Itís unclear for now how the union and the NFL were able to find common ground on the issue.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cool now we could get Desmond Bishop back... if he can make it back from his torn jammy that is.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can understand why the NFLPA was dragging their feet with the IR rule. A team making a playoff run could jeopardize a players long-term health by pressuring him back too soon, and any player worth salt wants to get back on the field to make a possible championship run.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:09 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the deadline rule. The following 6th week deadline prevented teams from being aggressive to get better player or dump player to avoid salary penalty. However, I do hope teams do not make too many trades. If teams do that, I can bet you that in near future NFL will slap a tax bullcrap for each trade. lol.

I am not sure if I get new IR rule right. An injured player has to be on 53 man squad after the final pre season cut to be eligible for returning to an active roster within a season (after 8th week). Someone on an active roster is qualified too but active roster is 46 man so 7 inactive players wont be eligible to return if put on IR.

Does it mean, the rule is in effect for any player on 53 man roster between the final preseason cut and a kickoff regular game and then the rule applies to 46 active man only during the season? Right?
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:12 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Once the final cuts are made you can designate a player from the final 53 to be your marquee player on IR. Once you do that you can then sign a player to again finalize a new 53. The IR player can return to practice after 6 weeks and to game action after 8 weeks. It has nothing to do with active players on gameday.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-30-2012, 02:26 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Once the final cuts are made you can designate a player from the final 53 to be your marquee player on IR. Once you do that you can then sign a player to again finalize a new 53. The IR player can return to practice after 6 weeks and to game action after 8 weeks. It has nothing to do with active players on gameday.

I read Steelers article about David DeCastro. It said he had to be on active roster after the final pre season cut. It prompted me to think of 46 man active roster for gameday. My bad. thanks.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:30 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So can we even get Desmond Bishop off IR? Because he is already on it so hes not a part of the 53. But if this rule would have been changed a week ago and he wasn't eligible now I'm sure they would have waited and kept him off IR for a few more days.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerLegend View Post
So can we even get Desmond Bishop off IR? Because he is already on it so hes not a part of the 53. But if this rule would have been changed a week ago and he wasn't eligible now I'm sure they would have waited and kept him off IR for a few more days.
You designate the marquee IR player after final cuts so Bishop should still be eligible.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-30-2012, 03:11 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You designate the marquee IR player after final cuts so Bishop should still be eligible.

Too late. He is already on IR.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotoJets007 View Post
Too late. He is already on IR.
I know that but you don't designate the special IR until after final cuts. I don't think it matters when he's placed on IR.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-30-2012, 03:35 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love both new rules. The IR rule will really help if Suggs can actually make it back this year (doubtful).

I think the new trade deadline will jump start more mid season trades. Every year I'm always surprised how soon it is. Trades won't be plentiful, but I hope that more than a Chris Chambers gets traded each year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:57 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think the difference between, say, 2-4 and 2-6, is enough to create a lot more sellers. Off the top of my head, I know Reggie Bush is a free agent in 2013. If the Dolphins are 2-6, why not trade him to some contender that lost its RB for the season? It's not like they were going to tag him in the offseason, and they have little use for him for the remainder of the season. I think you're going to see more trades along those lines.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:29 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i don't know if i posted it or just thought it, but i still don't see it. take the dolphins... they wouldn't be the first team that went worst to first. if tannehill looks like a solid qb, then even if they're going 0-16, they'd be stupid to trade off quality parts, as they'd just be giving up on the following season, too.

if the nfl had a true prospect system, i could see teams pitching 1 year rentals for guys who'd already shown they'd be able to compete. in the nfl, no one's going to trade away a rookie or first year player who's shown they can compete unless that player is a headcase or they're getting a potential franchise qb in return.

regardless, if the dolphins basically said '**** the season' at 2-6, their coach is likely gone, and their gm might well be following. it's not in their interest to simply give up.
This is one thing that sucks about the NFL. The offseason and trade deadline in baseball are far far more interesting due to the probabilities of blockbuster trades.