Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-02-2012, 05:22 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After reading the prison saga of TWD I had to get this from the Library. Very interesting thus far.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

why are we waiting for the season to end? I'll start the thread if need be

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:40 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I already said why. I thought people would be too busy to participate. If you want to start it, go for it Brent.

I'm busy for the next month and a half or so, so I can't join until then, but I will once I'm able. I originally wanted to start in a month or two because I can participate until then, but if you want to start it, go ahead.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **

Last edited by vidae : 09-02-2012 at 06:42 PM.
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I already said why. I thought people would be too busy to participate. If you want to start it, go for it Brent.

I'm busy for the next month and a half or so, so I can't join until then, but I will once I'm able. I originally wanted to start in a month or two because I can participate then, but if you want to start it, go ahead.
well, we can spend some time talking about books to read, I think it's best if we set a list (3-4 books) ahead of time so that those who wish to purchase online have ample time to do so.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:06 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I also think people should know that we might choose a book that they've already read but that's ok. They can re-read it and still join the discussions.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:49 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I also think people should know that we might choose a book that they've already read but that's ok. They can re-read it and still join the discussions.
Definitely. I dunno about others, but I can remember a few times where I've enjoyed a book much more the second time then I did the first.

Also, I'll be pretty swamped early this semester since I'm starting my M.A this week so I'll have enough books to read as it is, but it would be cool if we started talking now about the kind of stuff we felt like reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:21 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just finished reading this. Not as good as I was recommended it would be but solid overall.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:24 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has anyone read Crime and Punishment?

I read a good portion of it on breaks and lunches when we had a library work. But then I quit my job and never picked it back up. And that was almost 10 years ago.

Oldie but a goodie.

Last edited by nobodyinparticular : 09-03-2012 at 11:26 AM.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:04 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's probably the most recurring theme in Dostoevsky - people not finishing his books.

I'm guilty of doing the same thing with The Brothers Karamazov, a fact that upsets me.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:41 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finished On the Road today. Took me awhile to get into it, but I ended up liking it. Any suggestions for what next? Thinking something Hemingway, but not sure what else.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:13 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
Finished On the Road today. Took me awhile to get into it, but I ended up liking it. Any suggestions for what next? Thinking something Hemingway, but not sure what else.
Anything Hemingway is acceptable. I'm probably in the minority when I say that my favorite by him is The Sun Also Rises. He's one of my favorite authors and I really don't think it gets better than that. Most people prefer For Whom The Bell Tolls or The Old Man And The Sea, but not me.

And I'm glad you liked On The Road. It's one of my favorites.

Last edited by vidae : 09-04-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:17 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This summer I've read:

Ready Player One
The Hunger Games Trilogy
The Count Of Monte Cristo
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

I took Greek Mythology as a course over the summer and read a lot of The Iliad and The Odyssey as well.

and am now currently reading The Shining

Big turnaround when I probably haven't read a book in the last two years. It just sprung up on me that I wanted to read. I've slowed down with The Shining but still read a bit every night.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
WHATEVER WE READ IN BOOK CLUB.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:13 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just finished reading this. Absolutely fascinating read.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-05-2012, 01:12 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
WHATEVER WE READ IN BOOK CLUB.
WELL MAYBE YALL SHOULD PICK SOMETHING

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 09-05-2012, 01:40 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Faaaaaaaaaaaaulkner.

Quote:
Anything Hemingway is acceptable. I'm probably in the minority when I say that my favorite by him is The Sun Also Rises. He's one of my favorite authors and I really don't think it gets better than that. Most people prefer For Whom The Bell Tolls or The Old Man And The Sea, but not me.

And I'm glad you liked On The Road. It's one of my favorites.
I agree with vidae, The Sun Also Rises is Hemingway's best work. If we're talking favorite authors though, I'd recommend everyone looking at this thread read every word written by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Undoubtedly my favorite author.

On The Road should be required reading for any teenager with half a soul. It's one of the single greatest testaments to the exuberance of youth and it irks me that someone as douchey as Jim Irsay owns the original manuscript.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Picked up The Sun Also Rises and The Sound and the Fury.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 09-05-2012, 09:50 AM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just arrived in Portland, OR for an internship and will be here through December. I plan on reading at least all three books of LotR in that time.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:30 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes2053 View Post
Just arrived in Portland, OR for an internship and will be here through December. I plan on reading at least all three books of LotR in that time.
Where are you interning?

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Here comes another story. Kerouac grew up in my hometown. He also went to highschool with my mother. A few years back some long haired kid showed up at my dad's door and asked him where Kerouac's grave was. We grew up next to a cemetary but that wasnt the one as it turns out. He was a few miles off.

In recent time Johnny Depp came to Lowell, Mass. to talk to some relatives of the author and had some interest in doing a movie, not sure if it ever went anywhere. Sorry to bore everyone.

Last edited by Babylon : 09-05-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:16 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Finished The Sun Also Rises today. Meh. Not badly written or anything, just not particularly interesting.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 09-11-2012, 08:57 PM    (permalink
hobbes2053
Pro Bowler

hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hobbes2053 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
Where are you interning?
Providence Mercantile in Lake Oswego. Le far :(

LotR is awesome-sauce.

worker bees can leave
even drones can fly away
the queen is their slave

themaninblack
hobbes2053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

...so I have realized that The Sound and the Fury was not the best introductory choice for Faulkner. I will continue reading it nonetheless, but I know that I would have to read it multiple times in order to actually understand many parts of it.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 09-12-2012, 11:08 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Started reading this. Over a quarter of the way through it already.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-12-2012, 11:09 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
...so I have realized that The Sound and the Fury was not the best introductory choice for Faulkner. I will continue reading it nonetheless, but I know that I would have to read it multiple times in order to actually understand many parts of it.
I always tell people A Light in August. To this day, I'm so glad it's the first Faulkner novel I ever read. So easy to fall in love with.
Quote: