Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

View Poll Results: Do you like this poll?
Yes 24 50.00%
I love it 33 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So when you figure that Sherrod, Neal, Walden and at least one waived OLineman from a different team will end up on our roster we'll have to dump 4 of these guys.

My assumption would be the following; Terrell Manning, Philip Merling, Brandion Ross and either Sean Richardson or Brandon Saine/James Starks. I still wouldn't be surprised if we kept Starks around until after week to see how his injury was going and if the rehab was at all slow, he'd get cut.

Boykin had to make our roster or someone would have picked him up, probably the Dolphins. He's legitimately looked good. He's got very good size, has shown easily top 3 hands out of all the receivers on our team and runs much better routes than either of Borel or Gurley. His upside is probably limited by his lack of speed but he's just better than those two.

Frankly, he'll probably be a better (and less expensive) version of James Jones if we keep him around for a year or two. He's bigger and has better hands. Jones is stealthily a very good route runner but Boykin can get there. Gurley and Borel were both just too flawed in my opinion.

Daniel Muir getting cut was a bit surprising but also not as crazy as people are hyping. He was going to be our #3 DT and well down the list of Nickel d-lineman (behind Raji, Worthy, Daniels, and probably both Wilson and Neal.) There just wasn't a spot for him to get reps and what we've seen from camp is his ceiling. They obviously still have hope that Neal and Wilson can grow and Daniels and Worthy clearly are much higher priorities. I honestly think we cut him instead of Merling to give Muir a chance to grab on with another team. Merling is probably just going to be a body for someone when we drop him.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:17 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Boykin is awesome. How does a team like the Jaguars let go of him? Incredible.

I personally thought Danny Coale would be the better between he and Boykin in the league, but Coale got injured and was released from the Cowboys. However, Boykin is in the perfect spot in Green Bay; like someone said, he could turn into a James Jones WR for you guys and nobody would blink an eye.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone know who we signed to our practice squad? All I've seen reported so far is Marc Tyler.... which is a player I wish we would dump already. He had the most opportunities in the preseason and still looked the worst out of all our RBs.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:50 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WR Diondre Borel, DE Lawrence Guy, QB BJ Coleman, RB Marc Tyler, OT Andrew Datko, OG Greg Van Roten, OT/OG Chris Scott and TE Brandon Bostick.

RIP themaninblack

Last edited by SuperPacker : 09-03-2012 at 10:54 PM.
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:02 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There seems to be a growing feeling that this will be Greg Jennings last year with the Packers.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:25 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
There seems to be a growing feeling that this will be Greg Jennings last year with the Packers.
Not the best news.

I was surprised with Aaron coming out and saying he might not be here. Sounded like he had conceded to losing Greg, which is weird, because the season hasn't even started yet.

RIP themaninblack
Old 09-05-2012, 11:47 AM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jennings is my favorite player. We're the same age and grew up twenty miles apart, so I've been following him since he was in HS at Kalamazoo Central. I'd like nothing more than to see him end his career as a Packer.

It's a numbers game, though. Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji also have contracts that need to get done. Jennings is probably the easiest to replace (there's a very good chance that the replacement is already on the roster).
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:00 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
Jennings is my favorite player. We're the same age and grew up twenty miles apart, so I've been following him since he was in HS at Kalamazoo Central. I'd like nothing more than to see him end his career as a Packer.

It's a numbers game, though. Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji also have contracts that need to get done. Jennings is probably the easiest to replace (there's a very good chance that the replacement is already on the roster).
If we do let Jennings go, we'll go with Nelson and Cobb who are both on friendly contracts. Jones is a decent #3. Boykin could possibly be the #4 if we don't keep Driver and then we'd have a need at receiver for the #5, but i'm sure we could find someone in the middle rounds of the draft who would be able to contribute. And then of course we have Finley at TE. Our group of receivers would still be very good, but not at the level they are at now.

It's definitely more important to keep Rodgers, Matthews and Raji than it is to keep Jennings.

RIP themaninblack
Old 09-05-2012, 12:05 PM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Boykin is awesome. How does a team like the Jaguars let go of him? Incredible.

I personally thought Danny Coale would be the better between he and Boykin in the league, but Coale got injured and was released from the Cowboys. However, Boykin is in the perfect spot in Green Bay; like someone said, he could turn into a James Jones WR for you guys and nobody would blink an eye.
I still think Coale has a spot in the league. He is a Welker type receiver with deceptive speed. Not to mention that he will do anything asked of him which is a big plus.

But as I said before as a VTech/ Packer fan I am glad to see Boykin stuck and I think he can only continue to grow.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:24 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Teddy likes to keep his guys and if there's a way Jennings will still be here. Only reason he won't be back is if we have no money left to give him. Im not worried about Rodgers comments. What else is he really suppose to say come contract time for any player its never guaranteed they'll be back. It just really sucks if he isn't because he is way way up there as far as being one of my favourite Packers, plus he is such a high character guy.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
Old 09-06-2012, 01:57 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jennings would have to take a slight discount IMO. If he really wants to be here, he'll have to sign for a bit less. We'll see

I hope they bring him back, but they have a lot of guys who need to get paid as well
Old 09-07-2012, 04:19 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he'll still be here. Worst case, we franchise him next year as a stopcap and then Woodson will likely be retiring and that will create enough space to front-load a deal.

Losing Jennings while he's still in his prime would be a horrendous mistake. I think the reason it hasn't been done yet is we really need to plan well and figure out how to get all these big contracts done. We have a nice amount of capspace and all three of of Rodgers, Clay and Jennings want to stay here so we should be able to make those three big contracts fit together like a puzzle piece. Frontload one or two and defer the other over yearly, or whatever works.

There is no one on our roster (or anyone else's roster) that can replace Jennings. His route running, hands and most importantly chemistry with Rodgers are all top tier. We all saw what happened in that Chiefs game when he wasn't there and the Giants game when he and Rodgers weren't on the same page. He is the focal point of our offense and everything else flows around him.

I'd put significant money down to say he'll be back.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:16 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan486 View Post
I think he'll still be here. Worst case, we franchise him next year as a stopcap and then Woodson will likely be retiring and that will create enough space to front-load a deal.

Losing Jennings while he's still in his prime would be a horrendous mistake. I think the reason it hasn't been done yet is we really need to plan well and figure out how to get all these big contracts done. We have a nice amount of capspace and all three of of Rodgers, Clay and Jennings want to stay here so we should be able to make those three big contracts fit together like a puzzle piece. Frontload one or two and defer the other over yearly, or whatever works.

There is no one on our roster (or anyone else's roster) that can replace Jennings. His route running, hands and most importantly chemistry with Rodgers are all top tier. We all saw what happened in that Chiefs game when he wasn't there and the Giants game when he and Rodgers weren't on the same page. He is the focal point of our offense and everything else flows around him.

I'd put significant money down to say he'll be back.
We're somewhat of cap-strapped team so I'm not sure how realistic the franchise tag would be given the large dollar amount, and a long term contract would be a greater possibility, I feel, because the team could get creative with how the money is distributed. If I had to bet on how this plays out I would say that Jennings hits free agency because Thompson usually takes care of a player prior to them flirting with free agency, and we've seen Jenkins and Wells leave in the same manner the last two seasons.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

It really sucks to lose Jennings, he's the definition of what a Packer should be; such a great guy. Would love to keep him around so much, but as PF said, I don't think it's possible. :/

RIP themaninblack
Old 09-07-2012, 10:14 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
We're somewhat of cap-strapped team so I'm not sure how realistic the franchise tag would be given the large dollar amount, and a long term contract would be a greater possibility, I feel, because the team could get creative with how the money is distributed. If I had to bet on how this plays out I would say that Jennings hits free agency because Thompson usually takes care of a player prior to them flirting with free agency, and we've seen Jenkins and Wells leave in the same manner the last two seasons.
I think there's some things to consider, though. There are a number of big contracts that could conceivably come off at the end of this season. Now, I'm not sure what the penalties are for each of them but realistically we'll have Driver retiring, possibly Woodson and Saturday as well and Hawk could get released. Considering we're under right now by a few million and Jennings cap number with a new contract will probably only rise $2 million or so with a creative contract.. I think it's entirely possible.

And let's face it, if it comes down to keeping a 36+ year old Woodson or a 38+ year old Saturday versus Jennings.. the wise decision is to go with Jennings. Are we going to get all four guys (Rodgers, Raji, Matthews, Jennings) signed this year? Doubtful at best. But I'd be shocked if we don't at least get Jennings and two others done.

Also, Jennings is a lot different of a situation than Wells or Jenkins. Wells wanted to be overpaid and frankly wasn't that great. Jenkins was great but played a position we didn't put a premium on (and you have to think we learned a lesson from that.) Jennings is without a doubt one of our top 3 players. Wells was way down that list and Jenkins wasn't even top 3 on our defense.

Also, we've already shown a propensity towards keeping the skill players around Rodgers during his prime. How surprised were we all when we resigned Finley and Jones? Sure, they ended up being relatively inexpensive but the odds on those guys coming back didn't look great. Frankly, had we kept Jenkins we wouldn't even being having the conversation of resigning Jennings as it'd be almost impossible with his figure also looming over us. I'm of the belief TT chose keeping that skill core around Rodgers (and was rewarded with a 15-2 season) over keeping a player at a position he could replace with numbers instead of a star.

Last edited by Sportsfan486 : 09-07-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I think there's some things to consider, though. There are a number of big contracts that could conceivably come off at the end of this season. Now, I'm not sure what the penalties are for each of them but realistically we'll have Driver retiring, possibly Woodson and Saturday as well and Hawk could get released. Considering we're under right now by a few million and Jennings cap number with a new contract will probably only rise $2 million or so with a creative contract.. I think it's entirely possible.

And let's face it, if it comes down to keeping a 36+ year old Woodson or a 38+ year old Saturday versus Jennings.. the wise decision is to go with Jennings. Are we going to get all four guys (Rodgers, Raji, Matthews, Jennings) signed this year? Doubtful at best. But I'd be shocked if we don't at least get Jennings and two others done.
Well no **** Rodgers will get a new contract. You absolutely have to keep Matthews or your defense would be twice as pathetic as it was last year. And Raji is way more important than Jennings, especially considering who the next man up behind each of them is. You can maybe franchise Jennings for one year, but after that he's gone.
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:07 AM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
Well no **** Rodgers will get a new contract. You absolutely have to keep Matthews or your defense would be twice as pathetic as it was last year. And Raji is way more important than Jennings, especially considering who the next man up behind each of them is. You can maybe franchise Jennings for one year, but after that he's gone.
How is Raji "way more important" than Jennings? First of all, his contract isn't up until after 2013. Meaning if we don't sign him this year we still have a year to do it.

Secondly, he wasn't that good last year. I fully believe it was for lack of rest and overuse and his ceiling is still fantastic, but the fact is he wasn't worth a wealthy contract last season. Without Jennings, we would have lost at least two more games. He was literally the focal point of our offense. If you go back to 2010 and watch all the games, there comes a point where Finley goes down and we revamp our offense to flow off of Jennings. From there on out we won a Superbowl and had a 15-2 season.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:07 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
How is Raji "way more important" than Jennings? First of all, his contract isn't up until after 2013. Meaning if we don't sign him this year we still have a year to do it.

Secondly, he wasn't that good last year. I fully believe it was for lack of rest and overuse and his ceiling is still fantastic, but the fact is he wasn't worth a wealthy contract last season. Without Jennings, we would have lost at least two more games. He was literally the focal point of our offense. If you go back to 2010 and watch all the games, there comes a point where Finley goes down and we revamp our offense to flow off of Jennings. From there on out we won a Superbowl and had a 15-2 season.
Raji is undoubtedly more valuable than Jennings and that doesn't take anything away from Greg. You bring up how Raji was overused last year and why was that? It's because we simply didn't have much talent upfront and we couldn't afford to have him off the field even if his effectiveness took a bit of a dip. Coming into this year we have an older Ryan Pickett and two youngsters so there's plenty of uncertainty on our defensive line, but one thing remains constant, Raji is our best player there with little proven depth behind him.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:15 AM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

I saw on PFT a few days ago the Packers are almost 12 million under the cap. They actually currently have I think it was the 8th most cap space. The Jags led the way with 27 million. The Eagles know how to work the system and I'm sure the Packers can as well. Jennings is more important then Raji. How many games did our defense win for us? We need Jennings because its all about matchups. Part of what makes are O so great is are guys especially are 2-5 WRs are so much better then the opponents 2-5 DBs.

EDIT: HERES THE LINK TO CAP CURRENT NUMBERS
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...f-september-3/

The Lions are tied for the least amount, we have twice as much as the Bears and 3 Million more then the Vikings.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher

Last edited by PackerLegend : 09-08-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:53 AM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

Packers released Vic So'oto with an injury settlement. Not huge news but slightly disappointing. Had hopes for him.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
Old 09-12-2012, 09:04 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Terrell Manning suffered a concussion on Sunday and will be out for tomorrow's game.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Does anyone actually think that we will/should trade Jennings? I don't know if I can see that happening.

RIP themaninblack
Old 09-13-2012, 03:04 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
Does anyone actually think that we will/should trade Jennings? I don't know if I can see that happening.
We're not going to deal him.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:35 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Woo!

RIP themaninblack
Old 10-06-2012, 04:47 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Neal activated, Merling cut