Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:11 PM    (permalink
dregolll
Rookie

dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll dregolll
Default Cam Newton vs RG3.. More Impressive throws

RG3 made has made a huge impression on all of the football fans and analyst with his performance against the Saints. Obviously this was his 1st game and his stats were impressive. RG3 threw for over 300 yards and passed for 2 touchdowns. So letís rewind back to the 1st game of 2011 with Cam Newton, Newton threw for over 400 yards with 2 touchdowns and 1 interception. Both were impressive 1st games by both QBs but I would like to know which QB had the most impressive throws.
RG3 threw a lot of screen passes and of course he had the 80 yard pass to Garcon which padded his yards total, but Newton to me just left me in awe in his 1st game. Cam Newton did not get his yards on screens, but he was throwing 20/25 yards outs and ins which were jaw dropping! My question to you guys is which QB made the more impressive throws in your opinion?
dregolll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:25 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't get to see RG3's first game but I did Newton's. Newton had one of the most impressive games I've seen for a young player, let alone a rookie.

Newton made some throws that game that let you know he could be a drop back passer in the NFL.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

not that RG3 wasnt impressive and didnt make some excellent throws, but I am still much more impressed with the throws Cam made. I give RG3 a lot of credit for the overall composure he showed and good decision making, whether it was tucking it or finding the open man...but Cam was fitting balls into ridiculous windows 30+ yards downfield, throwing to small receivers, as a rookie.
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:48 PM    (permalink
ChiFan24
2011 SWDC Mock Draft Champ
Pro Bowler

ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ChiFan24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I didn't get to see RG3's first game but I did Newton's. Newton had one of the most impressive games I've seen for a young player, let alone a rookie.

Newton made some throws that game that let you know he could be a drop back passer in the NFL.
Same. The only throw I've seen from RG3 was the long Garcon TD, which was nothing jaw dropping. I find it hard to believe any of his other throws were better than Cam's.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:12 PM    (permalink
21ST
Pro Bowler

21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.21ST is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Griff really isn't gettin to run the offense yet so certain throws arent there. His most impressive throw was to fred Davis though. He ran all the way to the left sideline and dropped it right on right sideline.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Miaoww
Veteran

Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Newton and this comes from a Panthers fan that didn't like the selection.

He had a shaky pre-season - honestly thought Clausen should have started the regular season (they were that close stat/performance wise). His first NFL game (and to be fair he's continued that level of play) made my jaw hit the floor.

You have to credit RG3's composure, but he was attempting high percentage passes. Cam was slotting the ball into tiny windows all over the field. He has an incredible arm.
Miaoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:17 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Newton had more impressive throws. RGIII played a better overall game.
And yeah, seeing a ball travel 30+ yards in the air to a WR is more impressive than watching YAC by a WR.

Griffin did have a heck of throw across the field to Fred Davis, but Newton was dropping bombs on the Cards his first game as a rookie.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:45 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:12 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RGIII won his game

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:12 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RG IIIs performance is getting over blown. All of Washington is getting over blown. I think they have a good team, and I think Griffin played well. The Redskins have a lot of talent, and they will be a solid team. But RG IIIs performance was merely good. Not great. Just good. His stat line is great. But from a performance standpoint it's not even close to Cam Newton's, which was an impressive performance for a veteran QB (although Newton did miss easy throws that cost the Panthers a potential win, the level of difficulty on most throws were far superior).

Cam Newton blows RG IIIs performance out of the water. The shear upside Newton displayed in his first start was as gaudy as it gets. About as impressive as I have ever seen. And I did not like Cam Newton going into the season. Now, I like to watch Newton. Still raw, but his potential and physical tools are as good as any QB playing the game. That was displayed in week 1.

The most impressive performance was the play calling. The Redskins scheme, as usual with a Mike Shanahan system, was about as well designed as offensive play calling will get. The ability to run the football took so much pressure off of RG III. The ability to play action off of it, made things even easier. Then you factor in the defense... the Saints are terrible. It had all the makings for a big game offensively.

But, more to RG III. It took a long time -- about an entire quarter -- before you seen an impressive throw from Griffin. His first 6 passes were behind the line of scrimmage. And they were poorly placed balls. The WRs were actually bailing him out, but still gaining good yards after the catch. It was an unimpressive start actually, and the Redskins were babying him. His first throw that went beyond the LOS was a 15 yard slant to a wide open Garcon, who then took it 88 yards due to an atrocious angle by the safety and a blown coverage on the right side of the field (from a defensive standpoint). Again, would have been a good play against a blitz where he showed poise and stood tall in the pocket. But the Saints made it look like a great play because they are so bad defensively (I wanna say it was Harper who blew the angle. Harper is basically a LB and a liability in coverage). So after the 1st QT Griifin has over 100 yards passing when only 1 throw traveled more than a yard beyond the LOS. Impressive? For a rookie, I guess.

Where Griffin will and should be consistent is in the running game. Shanahan knows how to create misdirection and mismatches through play design. The ability to get Griffin in space by using different formations (pistol formation, ect) will give Griffin a great duel threat by getting him in space, let alone the ability to extend plays and escape a pass rush. Griffin wasn't asked to do much and he played against a bad defense. It was a good game for him, but nothing jaw dropping, and Cam Newton's was. After watching 1 game of Newton, the doubters were proved wrong. Newton did everything in 1 game that his biggest detractors said he couldn't do. I know because I was one of them. If anyone doubted Griffin, then they certainly haven't been proved wrong based on this game.

As already mentioned, the most impressive throw was to Fred Davis after he bootlegged left, broke a tackle to avoid a sack and then threw all the way across the field for a 20+ yard gain. He also extended a big play for Santana Moss, which I would consider the second most impressive play. Definitely a good performance. I don't want to sound like I'm knocking him. But the amount of attention he has gotten... everyone is talking about it. More than they did with Cam Newton who already garnered so much attention. I know Washington and Carolina are two vastly different markets, but this attention is overkill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 09-15-2012 at 10:16 PM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:56 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In 2011 playing against virtually the same defense, Newton had one game were he completed 51% of his passes(224 yards, 2TD/1 INT), and 60%(158 yds, 1TD/I INT) in the other.

WHat's the greater challenge for a rookie QB, playing against the Cards D or against the Saints in the Superdome??

Stand alone judging on the difficulty of the passes thrown, Newton's rookie debut was more impressive IMO.

BTW Newton still had doubters even after that first record breaking game. He had doubters until nearly the end of the season. It took Cam almost an entire season for his critics to admit their predictions that he would utterly fail as an NFL passer were embarrassingly wrong.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:23 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 PM    (permalink
Miaoww
Veteran

Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
RGIII won his game
How about now? RG3 lost his game, Newton won his.

Changed your stance yet?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:25 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know.. that bomb RGIII threw to Hankerson was ******* legit.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:59 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:11 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaoww View Post
How about now? RG3 lost his game, Newton won his.

Changed your stance yet?
unless you altered the past cam newton still lost to the cardinals in his debut

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:19 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Edit: oops wrong thread
Old 09-16-2012, 08:34 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This thread needs more Cam Newton.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:15 AM    (permalink
Eazy Picks
Veteran

Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Eazy Picks is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well cam just beat the saints too and i doubt that it will get nearly as much press as rg3 last week. I think the real story is how bad the saints d looks early on.
Eazy Picks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:19 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
I don't know.. that bomb RGIII threw to Hankerson was ******* legit.
It was a nice throw. Hankerson was wide open though - most NFL QBs should be able to make that throw to a guy who is wide open. Jenkins was t railing Hankerson by like 5 yards.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:45 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

SO what??? Pro QBs miss wide open WRs running free all the time. You don't get more points for hitting a WR who has a corner riding his back.

RGIII had two deep balls that should have been TDs, Aldrick Robinson literally dropped a ball that went through both his hands on a 9 route.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:50 AM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where does RGIII do most of his throwing? I haven't seen much of him but his HC is Shanahan and he's so mobile I assume he's booting and throwing outside the pocket quite a bit.
ShutDwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

for being so god damn fast RG3 is incredibly patient in the pocket, he really has lived up to the billing of being a passer first who can definitely run, but he doesnt jsut vince young it and make one read and take off
Old 09-17-2012, 11:02 AM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To me Cam Newton isn't effective unless he runs the ball for 70 + yards. That's concerning especially since he's a qb in this league. The blueprint is out there. Put a spy on him and make him sit back and read. That's where he struggles.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:06 AM    (permalink
Miaoww
Veteran

Yeah, that's bull 'bucfan12'.

He struggles like every QB when there's a D-lineman collapsing the pocket every play (such as the Bucs/Panthers game in Week 1). The running ability is just gravy, he's a fantastic passing QB.