Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 01:55 PM    (permalink
roughrider30
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,291
Reputation: 22052
roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallb View Post
No you can't, they removed that as well.
Very, very disappointed in all of this.
__________________

Sig by BoneKrusher
roughrider30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:12 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Send BOOBS to my PM Box! RIGHT MEOW
Posts: 4,139
Reputation: 460548
PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Does anyone else here play MUT (Madden Ultimate Team)?
__________________

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,943
Reputation: 1831950
Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerLegend View Post
Does anyone else here play MUT (Madden Ultimate Team)?
I play a decent amount.
__________________
Bulldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: awkward
Posts: 11,304
Reputation: 2295030
SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerLegend View Post
Does anyone else here play MUT (Madden Ultimate Team)?
I play it, but I thinks it's stupid. It's way to easy to get the best players. Don't know if anyone play's fifa, but FUT is so much better. There aren't those collections, which make it so everyone has the best team imaginable. You actually have to play games, get coins and then buy players with the money you earn. I wish Madden would take a look at the Fifa version and copy that. Would be so much more fun.
__________________



RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 11,386
Reputation: 2502635
Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Is there any way to have two coaches in offline connected careers? If not that is totally lame
__________________
Stafford Sig by touchdownrams the rest of the sig by Sig Master Bone Krusher Avy by King of all avys renji


DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:59 PM    (permalink
TheBoyWonder22
Shave
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: no power in the 'verse can stop me.
Posts: 3,563
Reputation: 442347
TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Torrey Smith is the best player in the game. Online I probably average about 215 yards a game and 3 TDs with him. His release combined with his speed is just insane.
__________________

Compliments of TACKLE

Gamertag/PSN: theboywonder44
TheBoyWonder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:07 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 7,324
Reputation: 903866
K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

whats you guys favorite playbook? i like carolina on offense and multiple d on defense
__________________
E]
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:08 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: From So Cal, now in Radford, VA
Posts: 16,485
Reputation: 1056372
KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

No Fantasy Franchise Draft = Madden 13 Sucks
__________________

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:11 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 20,913
Reputation: 2009538
LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoyWonder22 View Post
Torrey Smith is the best player in the game. Online I probably average about 215 yards a game and 3 TDs with him. His release combined with his speed is just insane.
I challenge you to use Chris Rainey lol. Though I've yet to get around to using Smith, Rainey is pretty ridiculous and I can't help but get him on every franchise I use. He's my slot WR, 3rd down RB, and return man. On his weekly progression all I do is improve his route running, he's been insane so far.
__________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:18 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 7,324
Reputation: 903866
K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

rainey is sick, hes a fumbler though.

Sproles and Henderson are lethal players, i bump henderson to #1 with the carolina playbook because hes awesome in the seams which is where they use steve smith in the playbook a lot
__________________
E]
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
Moderator
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 11,694
Reputation: 3062053
ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Random question... can you create your own team?

EDIT: and play with them in fantasy mode.
__________________

Last edited by ImBrotherCain : 09-17-2012 at 11:28 AM.
ImBrotherCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:03 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: earth
Posts: 14,124
Reputation: 1099795
brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

what sucks is there is no offseason in connected careers, well at least for the player.

I'm sure they'll bring it next year and call it a new feature. Who else loved the training camp drills? I always hated they took them out and replaced them with practices. They could have a balance of individual drills and practices, but nah thats to hard to do.
__________________
brat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:20 PM    (permalink
Simply Keak
Rookie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 75
Reputation: 13302
Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Simply Keak is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
what sucks is there is no offseason in connected careers, well at least for the player.

I'm sure they'll bring it next year and call it a new feature. Who else loved the training camp drills? I always hated they took them out and replaced them with practices. They could have a balance of individual drills and practices, but nah thats to hard to do.
The training camp drills were the best. Favorite one was the defensive back drill. I wish Madden would just keep the great features and continue to build on them instead of starting fresh every year. Theres like no continuity aside from the hit stick.
Simply Keak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:25 PM    (permalink
TheBoyWonder22
Shave
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: no power in the 'verse can stop me.
Posts: 3,563
Reputation: 442347
TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBoyWonder22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

The Cardinals are secretly one of the best teams in 13. Their defense is dominant, Beanie is better than he should be, OLines honestly don't matter, and Skelton can get the ball deep to those 4 WRs. Plus your kick returnees are both 99 in S-H and PP.
__________________

Compliments of TACKLE

Gamertag/PSN: theboywonder44
TheBoyWonder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 20,913
Reputation: 2009538
LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Keak View Post
The training camp drills were the best. Favorite one was the defensive back drill. I wish Madden would just keep the great features and continue to build on them instead of starting fresh every year. Theres like no continuity aside from the hit stick.
Mannn, I have been talking about training camp drills/DB drills for years, ever since it's been gone. Not only did it get you good at different aspects of playing but got a chance to play with your rookies or newly added players and see how they played.


Either way, I was coming to post that they added fantasy drafts in connected careers. Hopefully there aren't any bugs, but this was an obvious add. I think editing players jersey/equipment isn't far behind either from what was last posted on twitter. Should be October for that to come.



__________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 09-20-2012 at 08:21 AM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:59 PM    (permalink
JetMan01
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 18
Reputation: 654
JetMan01 is a cocksman.JetMan01 is a cocksman.JetMan01 is a cocksman.
Default

I recently wrote a review--of sorts--about the new Madden, but with a bit of a different take. I decided to take a theoretical look at the challenges that madden faces. I've long been familiar with this forum's FQ (football IQ) and figured running this by you guys might make for an interesting discussion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is my opinion that Madden not only fails to achieve its goal, but that it cant, and instead of being honest, they use simple tricks and makeup to disguise what is truly a disingenuous product.

To be clear, Madden is not a "football game" it is, supposedly, a "football simulation". This description sets them apart from cheap online game or some two-bit rip off, because with the "simulation" description comes the promise of a complete game, one that more than resembles the game you watch on television. Unfortunately for Madden, the technology they need to deliver on their promise doesn't exist. I will attempt to explain that. Additionally, I claim that Madden knows this, which consequently is lying, and that they attempt to leverage this lie against the public to increase sales. Ultimately I believe this proves the suspicion that many have had, that Madden's main motivation isn't to make the best game, but rather to make the most money they can, whatever it takes.


The challenge they and other sport games face is a great one. How can one program a game to replicate true spontaneity and randomness? For the most part, it can't be done. For instance, what should determine why Mario Williams succeeds in his attempt to sack the quarterback on one play and not the other? A good start would be to implement a ratings system that are identical to the real life individuals, so that Mario has a physical advantage. Of course, the problem with that is that there are so many things that need very specific and unattainable information.

For example speed. Speed would help Mario get around the tackle and get to the quarterback. But how should we determine what his "speed" rating is? Should a 40 time constitute all the information that is required to determine a speed rating? Devin Hester ran a 4.41 40-time at the NFL combine. Slower than Joseph Addai, Vernon Davis, and about 15 other players that year. Does that mean Hester is slow? Could he have run a fast time the next day? Does that mean speed isn't constant*? Does game speed* have something to do with it? How does one accurately measure game speed? Pretty subjective, isn't it?

So, speed is tough. How about strength? Mario doesn't need just speed anyway, he needs strength. How can we measure that? Well, at the combine, David Buehler, a kicker, repped out 225 pounds 25 times. D'brickashaw Ferguson? 26. I know the little kids reading this are going to say, "but wait Buehler's not a good example, he's a physical freak." Answer me this, then, 15 year old kid, would you start Buehler at LT? Or, would you admit, that there is something to long arms, size, height, technique, that play into how hard it is to move someone out of your way…. How much "strength" they have.

I needn't continue. My point is made. "Ratings" are not a good solution, but they are a good marketing shtick! ☺ Unfortunately the problems don't end there. You see, ratings are only part of the answer for the original question, "what should determine why Mario Williams succeeds". The other half is instincts, learning, technique, play design. Unfortunately, each has its flaw, and it is here where we really start to the see the true problem Madden has.

Simply put, technique is the same for every single player. The oh-so-talented-but-super-raw Jason Pierre-Paul has no disadvantage in Madden. Some of his teammates have been quoted, at least early in his career, saying that his success could reach scary heights because his immediate success was done while he had no idea what he was doing. There was this sense that "once he figures it out, he'll be a monster" that really resonates with fans of players who have raw talent. Madden's response for this is usually the most vague statistic in the game. "Awareness". Well, at the corner back position, this could mean that a talented but "low awareness" type player like Cromartie just zooms past his opponent who makes a cut, leaving the wide out open. But, Jason Pierre Paul's repertoire, as a defensive end, in Madden consists of only a few moves and no following of a wide receiver. There is no programmable detriment or consequence of low awareness at his position, because it doesn't exist. Technique is all the same. Anticipation is all the same. Learning is all the same. Even more concerning, is the rate of learning. Some might say Cromartie still hasn't figured it out. Some say it takes Wide Receivers 3 years to "figure it out" and then boom. Sure didn't take Julio Jones that long, did it? Or, is he just special? Well, how do you program that?

The reason I make the point that I do, is that this tension is the cause for anger amongst the Madden fan base. "Why does that cornerback know the ball is coming, when he's not looking for it?" "Why doesn't my defensive line get pressure on the quarterback?" "How come I could replace an entire offensive line with quarterbacks and they still pancake defensive linemen?" "Why do my receivers drop easy passes?"

Well, because the game has no genuine interactivity. The flawed ratings system is only the beginning of the problem. It's the game's engine. It cannot deliver on its promise. It is simply an imitation, in appearance only. The names of the players, the look on their faces, the color of their jersey's, the stadiums they play in… the grass, the commentary, the intro's, the refs, the coaches, the schedules… all of it. It's all there just to distract you from the simple fact that the game cannot be what football actually is, and people who misunderstand what the word "simulation" really means, get pissed off…. And I would argue, rightfully so. You see "simulation" means "imitate the appearance of", and that is exactly what Madden does. Except they'd rather you didn't think that, because it doesn't make for good marketing. EA Sports ITS IN THE GAME. Cute.

That said, I respect the newest additions of Madden. I believe that the infinity engine is an attempt to take steps towards this un-reconcilable end goal. It's an attempt to engineer an organic experience within the game itself. This is the single most respectable action that Madden has taken in its entire franchise because it acknowledges the limitations of their previous designs and begins along a path towards a better product. And talk about limitations, I mean, momentum and each respective body parts weren't even apart of most in-game equations until this year, and it's still not perfect..now that's* saying something (about how far away they are). It still has a long way to go, but, for the most part, it's a pretty enjoyable game…so long as you first accept the fact that it is a GAME and not the actual sport. In fact, in many senses, its further along and more advanced in terms of core gameplay than half the games out there today. I get that. I don't get mad when a CB defends a ball when he's not looking, because I know that player isn't seeing with his eyes. If he did, that would be a truly remarkable feat of engineering. Knowing the challenges, it's already a really well made game... its just no where near what actual football is. Only, I don't expect it. If you don't either, this game is great. If you do, you'll be disappointed again.
JetMan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:09 AM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,585
Reputation: 2280339
bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

um is there a way i can simulate through the whole season or do i have to sit here and do it week by week
__________________


bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:11 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: God blessed Texas
Posts: 21,883
Reputation: 4562158
MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

__________________

Last edited by MetSox17 : 09-23-2012 at 12:14 AM.
MetSox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:47 AM    (permalink
roughrider30
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,291
Reputation: 22052
roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.roughrider30 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMan01 View Post
I recently wrote a review--of sorts--about the new Madden, but with a bit of a different take. I decided to take a theoretical look at the challenges that madden faces. I've long been familiar with this forum's FQ (football IQ) and figured running this by you guys might make for an interesting discussion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is my opinion that Madden not only fails to achieve its goal, but that it cant, and instead of being honest, they use simple tricks and makeup to disguise what is truly a disingenuous product.

To be clear, Madden is not a "football game" it is, supposedly, a "football simulation". This description sets them apart from cheap online game or some two-bit rip off, because with the "simulation" description comes the promise of a complete game, one that more than resembles the game you watch on television. Unfortunately for Madden, the technology they need to deliver on their promise doesn't exist. I will attempt to explain that. Additionally, I claim that Madden knows this, which consequently is lying, and that they attempt to leverage this lie against the public to increase sales. Ultimately I believe this proves the suspicion that many have had, that Madden's main motivation isn't to make the best game, but rather to make the most money they can, whatever it takes.


The challenge they and other sport games face is a great one. How can one program a game to replicate true spontaneity and randomness? For the most part, it can't be done. For instance, what should determine why Mario Williams succeeds in his attempt to sack the quarterback on one play and not the other? A good start would be to implement a ratings system that are identical to the real life individuals, so that Mario has a physical advantage. Of course, the problem with that is that there are so many things that need very specific and unattainable information.

For example speed. Speed would help Mario get around the tackle and get to the quarterback. But how should we determine what his "speed" rating is? Should a 40 time constitute all the information that is required to determine a speed rating? Devin Hester ran a 4.41 40-time at the NFL combine. Slower than Joseph Addai, Vernon Davis, and about 15 other players that year. Does that mean Hester is slow? Could he have run a fast time the next day? Does that mean speed isn't constant*? Does game speed* have something to do with it? How does one accurately measure game speed? Pretty subjective, isn't it?

So, speed is tough. How about strength? Mario doesn't need just speed anyway, he needs strength. How can we measure that? Well, at the combine, David Buehler, a kicker, repped out 225 pounds 25 times. D'brickashaw Ferguson? 26. I know the little kids reading this are going to say, "but wait Buehler's not a good example, he's a physical freak." Answer me this, then, 15 year old kid, would you start Buehler at LT? Or, would you admit, that there is something to long arms, size, height, technique, that play into how hard it is to move someone out of your way…. How much "strength" they have.

I needn't continue. My point is made. "Ratings" are not a good solution, but they are a good marketing shtick! ☺ Unfortunately the problems don't end there. You see, ratings are only part of the answer for the original question, "what should determine why Mario Williams succeeds". The other half is instincts, learning, technique, play design. Unfortunately, each has its flaw, and it is here where we really start to the see the true problem Madden has.

Simply put, technique is the same for every single player. The oh-so-talented-but-super-raw Jason Pierre-Paul has no disadvantage in Madden. Some of his teammates have been quoted, at least early in his career, saying that his success could reach scary heights because his immediate success was done while he had no idea what he was doing. There was this sense that "once he figures it out, he'll be a monster" that really resonates with fans of players who have raw talent. Madden's response for this is usually the most vague statistic in the game. "Awareness". Well, at the corner back position, this could mean that a talented but "low awareness" type player like Cromartie just zooms past his opponent who makes a cut, leaving the wide out open. But, Jason Pierre Paul's repertoire, as a defensive end, in Madden consists of only a few moves and no following of a wide receiver. There is no programmable detriment or consequence of low awareness at his position, because it doesn't exist. Technique is all the same. Anticipation is all the same. Learning is all the same. Even more concerning, is the rate of learning. Some might say Cromartie still hasn't figured it out. Some say it takes Wide Receivers 3 years to "figure it out" and then boom. Sure didn't take Julio Jones that long, did it? Or, is he just special? Well, how do you program that?

The reason I make the point that I do, is that this tension is the cause for anger amongst the Madden fan base. "Why does that cornerback know the ball is coming, when he's not looking for it?" "Why doesn't my defensive line get pressure on the quarterback?" "How come I could replace an entire offensive line with quarterbacks and they still pancake defensive linemen?" "Why do my receivers drop easy passes?"

Well, because the game has no genuine interactivity. The flawed ratings system is only the beginning of the problem. It's the game's engine. It cannot deliver on its promise. It is simply an imitation, in appearance only. The names of the players, the look on their faces, the color of their jersey's, the stadiums they play in… the grass, the commentary, the intro's, the refs, the coaches, the schedules… all of it. It's all there just to distract you from the simple fact that the game cannot be what football actually is, and people who misunderstand what the word "simulation" really means, get pissed off…. And I would argue, rightfully so. You see "simulation" means "imitate the appearance of", and that is exactly what Madden does. Except they'd rather you didn't think that, because it doesn't make for good marketing. EA Sports ITS IN THE GAME. Cute.

That said, I respect the newest additions of Madden. I believe that the infinity engine is an attempt to take steps towards this un-reconcilable end goal. It's an attempt to engineer an organic experience within the game itself. This is the single most respectable action that Madden has taken in its entire franchise because it acknowledges the limitations of their previous designs and begins along a path towards a better product. And talk about limitations, I mean, momentum and each respective body parts weren't even apart of most in-game equations until this year, and it's still not perfect..now that's* saying something (about how far away they are). It still has a long way to go, but, for the most part, it's a pretty enjoyable game…so long as you first accept the fact that it is a GAME and not the actual sport. In fact, in many senses, its further along and more advanced in terms of core gameplay than half the games out there today. I get that. I don't get mad when a CB defends a ball when he's not looking, because I know that player isn't seeing with his eyes. If he did, that would be a truly remarkable feat of engineering. Knowing the challenges, it's already a really well made game... its just no where near what actual football is. Only, I don't expect it. If you don't either, this game is great. If you do, you'll be disappointed again.
This is the only part that actually matters. That it IS a game. It will never be the "Real Thing". If you're playing this game with any other expectation than this isn't going to be an exact representation of the actual NFL, then of course you are going to be disappointed.

Why don't you go waste some more time making a big write up about how COD isn't an actual representation of war, and they are lying to us too.
__________________

Sig by BoneKrusher
roughrider30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:25 AM    (permalink
JetMan01
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 18
Reputation: 654
JetMan01 is a cocksman.JetMan01 is a cocksman.JetMan01 is a cocksman.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughrider30 View Post
This is the only part that actually matters. That it IS a game. It will never be the "Real Thing". If you're playing this game with any other expectation than this isn't going to be an exact representation of the actual NFL, then of course you are going to be disappointed.

Why don't you go waste some more time making a big write up about how COD isn't an actual representation of war, and they are lying to us too.

I really shouldnt have to defend myself here, and in the digital community I understand that there are certain forces working against me here, but for a pre-transition member (I'm referring to the time the forum navigation switched over to team boards/divisional boards etc which was a time when REP wasn't so bountiful, i believe this happened in 2007/2008?) I'm a little bit surprised I have to.

I wrote in the very beginning that this was something of a theoretical take.. which should mean to you that I'm thinking beyond the literal interpretation of the phrase "Real Thing", which it appears obvious you misunderstood. I could be mistaken, because of the curtness of your reply, but thats not really my fault. What that means is that while COD is obviously a game (you're not holding a gun, killing people, or using your own skills to shoot a weapon) you are able to exercise easily generalized and transferable heuristics from real life. For instance, even though the physics might be off, you know that hiding can be a good thing, because the element of surprise is an advantage. Also, speed is another, as you can overwhelm your opponent. And many others. These are subconsciously preformed, but are well-practiced/studied techniques that are obvious to everyone. Hell, someone who plays paintball, or tag, understands some basic elements of the game--I cant be shot if I'm hidin behind an obstacle. etc.

In madden, none of this is true. None of it. Because its not the game. Its a hideous transmogrification of football into an marketing construct. What i mean is that what we know from football doesnt translate into the game. Having a horizontal passing game, or a vertical one, doesnt actually matter, despite your personel. Why? Because some routes "work" in Madden and some don't. A good "zone blocking" running back, a one-cut-and-go guy is no different than a shifty scat back. Why? Becuase blocking is bland and unadvanced. Speed, hitting the holes, running around guys, is really the only thing that matters. The best teams are the ones built around the limits of the game. Building a team using "football knowledge", is useless.

And this is precisely what I said in that long post.


PS That "big write up" took me 15 minutes to write, and I was glad to do it becuase it was a nice break from writing papers. And also... seriously? maybe mental jumping jacks is a waste of time to you, but i dont mind splitting hairs--even if it is concerning something as trivial as madden--because who cares? doesnt everyone have 15 minutes of time during their day to kill? This is how I spent mine.
JetMan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:53 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not Oakland, CA
Posts: 21,232
Reputation: 2474011
nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
what sucks is there is no offseason in connected careers, well at least for the player.

I'm sure they'll bring it next year and call it a new feature. Who else loved the training camp drills? I always hated they took them out and replaced them with practices. They could have a balance of individual drills and practices, but nah thats to hard to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Keak View Post
The training camp drills were the best. Favorite one was the defensive back drill. I wish Madden would just keep the great features and continue to build on them instead of starting fresh every year. Theres like no continuity aside from the hit stick.
Absolutely agree with the training camp vs. practice. I can't stand practice and training camps were the best. I loved being able to specifically choose who I could progress in the offseason and having their progression in my hands rather than luck.
__________________

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:50 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 20,913
Reputation: 2009538
LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

For anyone interested, Madden had an update and they updated it to where you can finally edit players in your franchise. It doesn't have to be new ones either, I'm in my existing one about 8 years in and it's up to date now. You can also change your offensive and defensive schemes up to run a 3-4 or 4-3 now.


It's funny because it's all updates that should have been in the game to begin with, but whatever. It's here now so I'm not complaining, just happy to be able to edit numbers and jerseys, like I should have been.



Quote:
For those that missed out on what the title update contains, check it out below or read more about it here.

Feature Additions:

Custom Rosters Offline: Added the ability to start an offline career with a custom roster.

Connected Careers Edit Player: Added the ability to edit gear and information for players in a league.

Coach Mode in Connected Careers: Added the ability to use coach mode in Connected Careers.

Changing Schemes in Connected Careers: Added the ability to change offensive and defensive schemes as a coach.

Offline Play Along in Connected Careers: Added the ability for multiple people to join a CCM game. This applies to coaches only.

Draft Clock: Added a draft clock during the draft that is displayed on screen if you leave the draft interface to view rosters, depth charts, etc.


Draft Filter: Added a filter to the draft screen to display players that have been drafted.

Connected Careers Practice XP: Added the ability for user controlled players to earn extra XP in practice mode through the stats they accumulate.
Gameplay Tuning:

Fixed an issue where WRs were dropping too many passes when playing on All Madden difficulty setting.
Fixed an issue where it was too easy to time the kick meter on FGs and PATs in user vs. user games.
Fixed an issue where punt returners were moving away from the landing spot if you called a fair catch while letting the CPU control the player.
Fixed an issue where someone who attempted to bull rush with the R stick once the ball was snapped activated run commit.

Commentary:

Added over a dozen logic fixes to make our commentary more intelligent.

Presentation:

Fixed an issue where specific offensive player celebrations were not triggering.
Fixed an issue where the referee was backwards when calling a penalty.
Fixed an issue with the Giants away uniforms (missing a sleeve stripe).

Connected Careers:

Fixed an issue where Offline Gameplay AI/Logic did not match the logic in Play Now.
Fixed an issue where playing the game on All-Madden is too easy.
Fixed an issue where changing the camera setting in CCM game works for single player.
Fixed an issue where League Sliders had limited impact on difficulty.
Fixed an issue where the Accelerated Clock did not function in an online CCM game when the option was set to On.
Fixed an issue where you could not turn on/off GameFlow in CCM.
Fixed an issue where you were unable to sign Free Agents during the season.
Fixed an issue where 'Starting a League' would reset Player Schemes.
Fixed an issue where after declining a trade offer, you are no longer able to accept or decline another offer.
Fixed an issue where you could exploit supersim to run the game clock indefinitely.
Fixed some spelling and polish issues in the News and Twitter.
Fixed an issue where a coach could make a contract offer to a user controlled player.
Fixed an issue where you are forced to select a throwing style for a created player that is not a QB.
Fixed an issue where turning Auto-Start to off does not save week to week.
Fixed an issue where you can see rookie overall ratings by accessing the player card of the prospect through Team Needs.
Fixed an issue where changing Auto-Sub Frequency does not change the correct data.
Fixed an issue where the profanity filter was preventing offline players from typing in their names.
Fixed an issue where you can draft a player and then trade down while the draft is paused. The issue resulted in the user keeping both the traded picks and drafted player.

Stability:

Fixed numerous crashes.
Fixed an issue with the in-game pause menu disappearing.

Madden Ultimate Team:

Changed the Packs button to Store Button.
Condensed Leaderboards and Help menus.
Implemented the ability to view videos from the hub.
Implemented Store Panel Changes.
Moved Auctions/Trades to a separate menu option.
Fixed several Solo Challenge exploits

Playbooks:

Fixed an issue where theHail Mary formation in a custom playbook had a blank play that resulted in a broken formation and invisible players if selected.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...s-360-ps3.html
__________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.

Last edited by LonghornsLegend : 10-16-2012 at 07:48 PM.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.