Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-19-2012, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Vocabulary Thread

I have been preoccupied with expanding my vocabulary recently and thought it might be useful to create a thread in which we share intriguing words. The most authoritative, elegant dictionary I have come across is the Oxford English Dictionary, which is searchable online at this address:

http://www.oed.com/

To begin, I've compiled a list of terms I searched for today. Feel free to add any words you come across or find interesting!

Vocabulary September 19th

Adduced – brought forward, esp. in support of a case of an argument

Ardent – burning, fiery

Assiduously – with close or constant application, sedulously

Benign – of a kind disposition

Bilious – wrathful, ill-tempered

Cantankerous – showing an ill-natured disposition, quarrelsome

Clement – mild and humane in the exercise of power or authority

Coltish – wild, frisky, untrained

Composite – made up of various parts or elements, not simple in structure

Compunction – remorse, contrition

Conglomeration – a collection of things joined in a compact body, coherent mass

Deluge – to flow or pour over, inundate

Duma – Russian elective legislative assembly established in 1905 and lasting until the Revolution of 1917

Effulgent – shining forth brilliantly, resplendent

Enteric – of pertaining to the intestines, typhoid fever

Exalté- excited, elated

Expostulate – to ask for, demand, claim

Foible – a weak point, a failing or weakness of character

Garish – a sudden and transient fit of passion (n.), obtrusively or vulgarly bright in color, showy (adj.)

Gauche – awkward, clumsy

Gorse – a prickly shrub, furze

Hoyden – a rude, ignorant, or awkward fellow

Impecunious - penniless

Impetus – the force with which a body moves or maintains its velocity and overcomes resistance

Incipient – beginning, commencing, coming into an early stage

Intimation – making known, formal notification or announcement

Inviolate –unhurt, unmarred

Limpet – a gasteropod mollusc

Malvern – an alkaline mineral water

Manifold – varied or diverse in appearance, form, or character

Maudlin – given to tears, lachrymose

Moiré – giving the appearance like that of watered silk

Pianoforte – a musical embellishment consisting of alternation between soft and loud music

Placard (v.) – to make known, advertise, or publicize with notices

Plage – a region, district, or part of a larger area

Portentous – ominous, threatening

Priggish – excessively precise in matters of learning or conduct, self-righteously correct, moralistic

Propitiate –to make well-disposed or favorably inclined

Punctilious – insistent on fine points or procedure, etiquette, or conduct

Purgation – ceremonial or ritual cleansing from defilement or uncleanness

Roister – to celebrate or enjoy oneself noisily or boisterously

Rubicon – a boundary, a limit

Saccharine - sugary

Spasmodic – marked by jerkiness or suddenness of muscular movement

Strident – loud and harsh, shrill

Surreptitiously – in an underhand way; secretly and without authority

Swarthy – black, dark, malignant, dismal

Vociferous – uttering loud cries or shouts; clamorous, noisy
Old 09-19-2012, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I need to start using cantankerous.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:50 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
I need to start using cantankerous.
That's the one that stuck out to me as well. Creepy.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:55 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys haven't been using cantankerous? You should hang out with more aged people. "Cantankerous old bitty" just rolls off the tongue after a few weeks of hanging with old peeps.

Last edited by WCH : 09-19-2012 at 02:59 PM.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I need to use Hoyden more

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:59 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One of the (many) former jobs I've had in the company I work for was as an editor for our newspaper pages. It was pretty simple but a lot of the people I worked with were huge grammar geeks. To this day, whenever any of us use fancy words in appropriate context, we like to make facebook posts letting the others know.

I think my best word use ever was "disheveled." I went to a friend's house in college and, even though he was expecting me, he seemed very...well, "disheveled" when I came in the door. I asked him if he was ok and told him he looked disheveled.

I also got to use "doppelganger" once in a perfectly appropriate context. That was fun.

Out of that list, I would really love to use "swarthy" at some point. I just need that right moment...
Old 09-19-2012, 03:02 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

tintinnabulation
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:26 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Defenestrate

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:28 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CashmoneyDrew View Post
That's the one that stuck out to me as well. Creepy.
Yup, me too. I am using that tonight at least twice.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
Icon

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watagatapitusberry

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:11 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Indubitably: Synonymous with undoubtedly, of course, unquestionably, etc...

That's one I like to drop on people.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:14 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Wootster View Post
I need to use Hoyden more
Now that I know it exists, I shall be using it frequently. "Deluge" was just in my FB status yesterday (we had damn near a monsson).

Old 09-19-2012, 05:17 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The best way to use these words is to actually practice them when you write and speak. I find it hilarious when people talk like morons and they drop one of these words.. even if it's used properly, you look like a jackass. It's like putting 24 inch rims on a beat up '87 grand marquis. The rims are nice, but you're still a douche. You can't have third grade sentence structure with one, single college level word.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:20 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
The best way to use these words is to actually practice them when you write and speak. I find it hilarious when people talk like morons and they drop one of these words.. even if it's used properly, you look like a jackass. It's like putting 24 inch rims on a beat up '87 grand marquis. The rims are nice, but you're still a douche. You can't have third grade sentence structure with one, single college level word.
You have no idea how many times I've told someone (most cases its just with my friends) something, and then finished it with, "but you're still a douche". This fits perfect.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:54 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

People probably won't like my opinion and I'm not even sure if I like it but if someone used any of those words to me I'd immediately think pretentious douchebag. There are just so many ways to say things in a way that the average person would understand without a dictionary I just don't see the point. I just can't stand the look that people give you after using a word like this, like they're waiting for you to be impressed or something.

Obviously literature is a totally different story.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:37 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
People probably won't like my opinion and I'm not even sure if I like it but if someone used any of those words to me I'd immediately think pretentious douchebag. There are just so many ways to say things in a way that the average person would understand without a dictionary I just don't see the point. I just can't stand the look that people give you after using a word like this, like they're waiting for you to be impressed or something.

Obviously literature is a totally different story.
You shouldn't be so cantankerous.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:44 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You're right, please accept my sincere feelings of compunction.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:55 PM    (permalink
WCH
All-Pro

WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WCH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I honestly thought that "cantankerous" was one of those words that everybody knew.
WCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
Icon

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I take it hood words don't count?

Like hyna, leva, plebe, or ruka

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You should use all those words as often as possible. People definitely won't think you are an asshole.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:46 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like tossing vociferous around on occasion. I used superfluous casually in conversation one day and got some looks.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:50 PM    (permalink
josh07039
Pro Bowler

Location: "Im against Picketing, but I don't know how to show it"-Mitch Hedberg
josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.josh07039 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I like tossing vociferous around on occasion. I used superfluous casually in conversation one day and got some looks.
I use words like that all the time with some of my friends with no problem, and i wouldn't think twice about using superfluous ever. Vociferous is debatable depending on the company.
josh07039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:57 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are words that you can use in the flow of conversation without anyone batting an eye, but there are some that are just completely unnecessary and are extremely obvious and make you look like a dick.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:34 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
There are words that you can use in the flow of conversation without anyone batting an eye, but there are some that are just completely unnecessary and are extremely obvious and make you look like a dick.
That's a quite priggish thing to say

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:47 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Santorum
Jersey Meat Hook
Cump
DVDA

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote