Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:41 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Glad to see more people taking notice of Henry Melton.

I also find it hilarious that one poster thinks Ware's stats are 'hollow'.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:42 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Glad to see more people taking notice of Henry Melton.

I also find it hilarious that one poster thinks Ware's stats are 'hollow'.
Ware sux and ur QB's name rhymes wit **** lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:03 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ware had the most misleading 19.5 sack season ever. Lolz

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:23 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Isolate the player.

Sanchez isn't helping his case. Yes he has poor talent around him, but he's not a player who elevates talent around him.

Going into this season, was his offense any less talented than the Dolphins? No. But Ryan Tannehill, a raw rookie qb with poor talent around him just threw for over 400 yards against Arizona's defense.

Could Sanchez do that? Be honest with yourself, you know the answer is hell no. And he's a 4th year quarterback.

I gave him plenty of chances, but he's just not good. It's time to move on.
Usually I agree with most of what you say, but this doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't usually defend Mark Sanchez, but I'm going to speak favorably about him right now.

You say isolate the player, and then make an impossible contradictory question asking if he could throw for 400+ yards against the Cardinals defense if he were in Tannehill's shoes.

Firstly, the Dolphins are a better team than the Jets. Both offensively and defensively (Yes, that is true, especially with the lose of Revis). Miami can run the ball and stop the run. Those two things are still important in today's game. The Jets can do neither. Reggie Bush, when he's healthy, has been one of the best running backs in football since last season. And that offensive line moves people. Do they have WRs or TE weapons... not really much to speak of, but Bess is a good slot player, Fasano is a solid all-around TE and Hartline, like him or hate him, is leading the NFL in receiving yards (although that will be short lived). Couple that with a rushing attack, and it is, at the very least, something resembling an offense.

Secondly, who is to say that if Sanchez was playing QB that the Dolphins would lose that game? He might not have thrown for 400 yards, yes, but he also might not have thrown two costly interceptions or fumbled the ball on an obvious a-gap blitz.

Thirdly, Tannehill has much more physical ability and potential than Mark Sanchez does. Even for a rookie he's comfortable in that offense because he has experience with the system from college. But Tannehill's pure style of play and ability to make throws to the outside / deep down the field are going to be more indicative of a player capable of throwing for 300+ yards. Sanchez is simply not that type of QB. He's not going to throw for 300 yards on a routine basis (he's done it like 6 times in his career thus far).

If we are going to isolate the player, then let's isolate the player and talk excessively about MarK Sanchez.

I agree completely with one part of what you said:
Quote:
Sanchez isn't helping his case. Yes he has poor talent around him, but he's not a player who elevates talent around him.
I don't think anyone would have told you that Mark Sanchez makes players around him better. Not when he was coming out of college, or up until this point in professional career. I graded Sanchez out as a top 10 player during the draft process, but I said he needed pieces around him to succeed, just as he had in college.

If and when he has a running game and some weapons on the outside, then he can be a good, solid NFL QB. Sanchez is never going to be great. He doesn't have that type of potential. So for people (not saying you) to compare him to elite QBs in the NFL, or guys just below that elite level, is foolish on their part. He's not that type of player. He's simply not a great player, and he wont ever be a great player. But he can be good in the right situation.

The situation will define what type of player Sanchez is. He can lead a team into the playoffs and win in the postseason. He has proven as much (very early in his career no less, and he's a better QB now than he was then). He won because of a great defense and a strong running game. Never because he had elite skill position players or guys he could get the ball to. He's never had weapons around him. His arm is only average, so going to New York and playing on the east coast against teams like the Patriots, Bills, Steelers, Ravens in cold weather / wind / snow isn't favorable to his physical abilities / limitations.

When you see him surrounded by the type of talent he has now, then he becomes less than a middle-of-the-pack type QB, which is all his celling may be. He is forced to make plays and make throws that he can't always make. When the pressure is amplified and when he's expected to make plays and be the main component of the offense (where it runs through him), then you're going to see him struggle. Whether or not he has talent around him. In this case, he has nothing on offense. He has no support. He needs to raise the level of play of everyone around him, and he simply can't do that. He's not good enough. The Jets are a terrible team (especially offensively) and Sanchez is going to look like a terrible QB. That doesn't mean he's a terrible QB, but the situation dictates perception.

When the Jets were going to back-to-back AFC Championship games and Sanchez was getting accolades for those postseason wins, they were undeserved. He's not going to prohibit a playoff team from making the playoffs. But he wont make a playoff team a Super Bowl team. And he wont make a terrible team a bad team. He's going to do just enough to win games. Right now the Jets have a terrible team. And Sanchez doesn't have the ability to make them any more than what they are. If he's quarterbacking a playoff team, that's all they will be.

If the Jets thought they were getting a "Franchise QB" (whatever definition they have for that), then I think they were kidding themselves. Sanchez was about the easiest QB prospect to scout as you'll ever see. The writing on the wall was clear as day. You knew exactly what you were getting. He was a safe pick. Could he be Alex Smith if he played for San Francisco? I don't think there's any question about that. But right now he's among the worst QBs in the NFL because he has a bad team around him.

What kind of player does that make him? Thats debatable. I don't think it makes him a bad player. I think he's limited. He's good in good situations and bad in bad situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 10-04-2012 at 12:37 PM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote