Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
False. W-L is useful for the evaluation of teams. It's far less useful when evaluating one of 53 players, even if it typically is the most important one.
Yet individual stats are also heavily reliant on team play as well. So how do you separate the 2? You can't.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
To me, the elite qbs in this league are currently Brady, Rodgers. Peyton could be still, I don't know yet.
Mighty fine list there BBD.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:22 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4life View Post
I'm posting from my iPhone. Get at me bro.
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yet individual stats are also heavily reliant on team play as well. So how do you separate the 2? You can't.
I never said I was. But it matters to me a lot more that something as obviously team-based as win-loss record.

Eli throws an interception every 33 times he throws the ball. That number hasn't improved one bit as he's matured in his career (it's actually slightly worse over the last 2 1/2 seasons). That's almost double the rate of Rodgers.

Some of those interceptions are situationally dependent, but those situations aren't any more likely to happen to Eli as they are to anyone else. The Giants don't push the ball down the field with any more frequency than most teams, and they typically have a stronger running game and defense to play with.

Eli just turns the ball over too much to be considered elite in my book. It's not complicated, no matter how much you want to make this something it isn't.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 10-05-2012 at 06:26 PM.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderz4life View Post

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:23 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Numbers and metrics have a growing place in football. The problem right now is that traditional stats track nothing more than gross totals. It's trivia moreso than statistics.

The stat heads are onto something with Success Rates. I can't math, but it seems like that's a really good area to start building off of.

The problem is that people only like "their" stats.

One more thing (and I think it's Cosell that said this first)....there is no stat for a difficult pass that a QB refuses to attempt.

Last edited by y.f.s. : 10-05-2012 at 06:26 PM.
y.f.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I never said I was. But it matters to me a lot more that something as obviously team-based as win-loss record.

Eli throws an interception every 33 times he throws the ball. That number hasn't improved one bit as he's matured in his career (it's actually slightly worse over the last 2 1/2 seasons).

Some of those interceptions are situationally dependent, but those situations aren't any more likely to happen to Eli as they are to anyone else. The Giants don't push the ball down the field with any more frequency than most teams, and they typically have a stronger running game and defense to play with.

Eli just turns the ball over too much to be considered elite in my book. It's not complicated, no matter how much you want to make this something it isn't.
Our run game and seasonal defense has been worse than average the last 3 years. Also, I'm actually pretty sure we do push throw deep more than almost any other team.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:

Eli throws an interception every 33 times he throws the ball. That number hasn't improved one bit as he's matured in his career (it's actually slightly worse over the last 2 1/2 seasons).

The Giants having a run game is the biggest myth about the team for the past 4 years. We haven't had a run game since 08. Worst in the league last year. Our defense is inconsistent. Statistically it's been below average. Eli is not the product of the team. The team is the product of Eli. Anyone who routinely watches this team play can see that easily.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:27 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the thing is, you dont even need stats to say anything about eli. just watch him play and you'll know he isn't elite. it's not hard. well for non giants fans anyway.

RIP themaninblack
Old 10-05-2012, 06:28 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Our run game and seasonal defense has been worse than average the last 3 years. Also, I'm actually pretty sure we do push throw deep more than almost any other team.
If that were true, Eli's YPA would be much higher.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:29 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
the thing is, you dont even need stats to say anything about eli. just watch him play and you'll know he isn't elite. it's not hard. well for non giants fans anyway.
And this is also true. There isn't one Eli fan making an argument for him. But to BBD, everyone else is a "hater".

Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He was #1 in the league last year in terms of yardage accumulated through the air (eliminating YAC numbers).

edit: He's 1st this year. Ended up 2nd place last year behind Brees. He was 3rd in 2010. 5th in 2009. 11th in 2008.

Last edited by y.f.s. : 10-05-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not really. The further you throw the harder it is to complete the pass. Eli was the best statistically at the deep ball last year but we still attempt it so much it lowers his YPA.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I can easily see what Eli does that makes him elite, and 80 percent of it is before the snap. And let's not question his arm strength either, he has plenty of arm. Eli makes at least 7 plays a game that leaves me in awe. And it's not always a physical play. Sometimes his mental awareness of the game is very impressive. But I don't expect most ppl on here to recognize that, bc most don't have the ability to read defenses.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:32 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post
He was #1 in the league last year in terms of yardage accumulated through the air (eliminating YAC numbers).

edit: He's 1st this year. Ended up 2nd place last year behind Brees.
You're still wrong. He was 3rd. Rodgers was first. At least through the regular season.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:33 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a Giants fan but I think Eli is an elite QB. And the Giants do throw the ball downfield a lot more than most teams.

I'd like to add this to the discussion - something no one has pointed out. Eli CLEARLY makes his teammates better. CLEARLY. Bennett, Ballard, Cruz.

I'd rank em:

1) Rodgers
2) Brady
3) Peyton once he realizes Stokley cannot climb the seam
4) Brees
5) Eli
6) Ben
7) Matt Flynn

All are elite. The best of the bunch.

In an era when the best passers are as good as ever, why can't there be 7 elite guys?
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:34 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Holy ****! Again with this stuff?! Eli is the most polarized football player I ever seen. People LOVE and I mean LOVE talking about him good or bad. They should give him his own reality show!
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I can easily see what Eli does that makes him elite, and 100 percent of it is because im a Giants fan. But I don't expect non Giants fans to recognize that, bc most arent giants homers.
This. (10 char)

RIP themaninblack
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I'm not a Giants fan but I think Eli is an elite QB. And the Giants do throw the ball downfield a lot more than most teams.

I'd like to add this to the discussion - something no one has pointed out. Eli CLEARLY makes his teammates better. CLEARLY. Bennett, Ballard, Cruz.

I'd rank em:

1) Rodgers
2) Brady
4) Brees
5) Eli
6) Ben
7) Matt Flynn

In an era when the best passers are as good as ever, why can't there be 7 elite guys?
Matt Flynn???

I don't think 7 out of 32 players can be considered elite, but I guess it's a relatively subjective word.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post

I'd rank em:

1) Rodgers
2) Brady
4) Brees
5) Eli
6) Ben
7) Matt Flynn

Nonsense. He looks like he has downs and plays with the best defense and run game ever. Lulz, did he even throw 35 Tds?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Holy ****! Again with this stuff?! Eli is the most polarized football player I ever seen. People LOVE and I mean LOVE talking about him good or bad. They should give him his own reality show!
Michael Vick disagrees.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
This. (10 char)
Sorry, but you're like 13. I don't take your opinion seriously.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:37 PM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

Quote:
You're still wrong. He was 3rd. Rodgers was first. At least through the regular season.
Oh.

/doesn'tcountbecauseit'sPFF
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Sorry, but you're like 13. I don't take your opinion seriously.

RIP themaninblack
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Ah. I was saying per pass. That would make far more sense in this case.