Diagnosing the Problems.
Well ****. This season isn't going well. I'm sure you're all as upset as me but we have to keep up hope. This is still probably the most talented overall team in the NFL.
1. Playcalling. Sorry, it has been simply awful this year. We would have won against the Colts had we kept running the ball; Benson or no Benson. Period. It was absolute terrible playcalling. We have to run the ball, effective or not. AND RUN IT IN THE MIDDLE. Every time we call a stupid outside run it fails miserably. That's not our game. We don't have a back that can do that.
2. Jennings injury. Jennings makes our offense go round. When you look back, the point where our offense went from good to great was when Finley went down and Jennings became the focal point of the offense. He is our deep threat, most reliable route runner and always makes the big play. His injury is killing our downfield passing game.
3. Rodgers/Offensive Line. Rodgers has grown gunshy at winging those deep passes as teams drop two safeties. He has to sling it. He's actually forcing the ball to worse reads out of fear of throwing an interception. This is also causing him to hold the ball longer. Combined with the offensive line being terrible so far has resulted in huge sack and pressure numbers.
1. Lack of consistent pressure. Same as last year. Sure, our sack numbers are up but it's inconsistent. Sometimes we get great pressure but typically we get none. A good pass rush consistently gets some pressure and then sometimes gets excellent.
2. Confusion in the secondary. I don't know if it's an overly complicated scheme or what but the secondary is confused. How we perfectly eliminated Marshall and then got destroyed by Colston and much more glaringly REGGIE WAYNE is out of my understanding.
3. Lack of ballhawking. We're obviously hurting for ballhawking safeties. Burnett hasn't turned into what we had hoped he would and McMillian is a decent cover safety and a hitter, but not a ballhawk. Jennings is just terrible.
How do we fix these things?
Offensively we need to work that rungame. Period. We need to get back to that Cobb in the backfield on 3rd down look and run with him sometimes. Stop the empty backfield. Give some idea of the run. PERIOD.
Rodgers needs to go with his reads and sling it. He was so good at this last year; seeing a possible throw and throwing it immediately with accuracy.
With Jennings out or at less than 100% we NEED TO WORK COBB IN. It seems like we work him in at the beginning of games and then go away from him. He is our best vertical and YAC catch, BY FAR, with Jennings out.
Defensively we need to get some stability in the secondary and simplify the scheme or slap some sense into our DBs. Hopefully House gets back and takes that #2 CB spot as he looked very good. I think the pass rush will get there. It has moments of brilliance and so many more passrushers than last year
I hate the term "must win" but if we don't give the Texans a hell of a game and at least get some good things happening, this could get out of control.
When being a fanboi goes too far.