Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:35 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
[/b]

LOL I cant believe Romo is getting bashed for maklng the PROPER reads and throwing to the OPEN receiver. I mean the guy deserves his fair share of criticism, but c'mon! Dez doesnt catch the ball when hes wide open, much less when doubled LOL.

And D, your assuming he doesnt spend extra time with the WRs, but you really dont know that. To call Romo "captain checkdown" is a JOKE! Hes FAR from being captain checkdowown, if anything he goes deep when he would be better off checking it down. SMH...
I'd like to hear you identify where his fair share of criticism is deserved.

...and Romo rarely ever goes deep. When he does, it works more often than it doesn't. At least that's my perception. Especially when he delivers it to Austin.

Oh and that's way too much overreaction on Dez's drops. So now he doesn't catch the ball everytime he's wide open? Oh jeez. Funny thing is you don't hear Giants fans do this when Cruz drops all the time. Dude leads the league in drops. Dez has half as many as Cruz.

Last edited by D-Unit : 10-09-2012 at 04:39 PM.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he had some chemistry with TO... TO dropped lots of passes but Romo was willing to throw him the ball...
What I'm saying is that sometimes you have to force some balls to get on a rhythm. I'm not saying making bad decision but trusting your WR to win his battle. We did a good job of covering Marshall but still he was able to come with lots of catches. I think that's pretty much what happens with every top WR in this league. Throwing to the open guy sometimes means that you're not getting a first down.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU
Modano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I'd like to hear you identify where his fair share of criticism is deserved.

...and Romo rarely ever goes deep. When he does, it works more often than it doesn't. At least that's my perception. Especially when he delivers it to Austin.

Oh and that's way too much overreaction on Dez's drops. So now he doesn't catch the ball everytime he's wide open? Oh jeez. Funny thing is you don't hear Giants fans do this when Cruz drops all the time. Dude leads the league in drops. Dez has half as many as Cruz.
Romo makes STUPID decisions sometimes. Detroit last year, and the jets game (forcing the ball to Dez BTW) come to mind. If Dez produced like Cruz, you wouldnt hear us ***** when he dropped the ball either. Cruz has been >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dez so far in their careers.

Rank Quarterback Rating
1 Aaron Rodgers 103.5
2 Steve Young 96.8
3 Tom Brady 96.6
4 Tony Romo 95.9
5 Philip Rivers 95.4
6 Peyton Manning 95.1
7 Kurt Warner 93.7
8 Drew Brees 93.6
9 Joe Montana 92.3

Im NOT saying Romo is a top 10 QB of all time, but hes better than yall are giving him credit for. Romo is ALWAYS in the top 10 in yards per pass attempt too, which means hes throwing down the field

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468

Last edited by pocketaces : 10-09-2012 at 05:20 PM.
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 PM    (permalink
crisco0710
Rookie

crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.crisco0710 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
[/b]

LOL I cant believe Romo is getting bashed for maklng the PROPER reads and throwing to the OPEN receiver. I mean the guy deserves his fair share of criticism, but c'mon! Dez doesnt catch the ball when hes wide open, much less when doubled LOL.

And D, your assuming he doesnt spend extra time with the WRs, but you really dont know that. To call Romo "captain checkdown" is a JOKE! Hes FAR from being captain checkdowown, if anything he goes deep when he would be better off checking it down. SMH...
I rarely see Romo throw deep. All I'm asking for is a one on one fade route where Dez or Miles can out jump the single coverage but he rather throw the slant or out to Witten instead of letting Dez or Miles moss the shorter corner. I see Eli, among others, doing this all the time. The receiver has to be WIDE open for Romo to throw deep his way.
crisco0710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisco0710 View Post
I rarely see Romo throw deep. All I'm asking for is a one on one fade route where Dez or Miles can out jump the single coverage but he rather throw the slant or out to Witten instead of letting Dez or Miles moss the shorter corner. I see Eli, among others, doing this all the time. The receiver has to be WIDE open for Romo to throw deep his way.
A prerequisite for throwing the ball deep is having enough time in the pocket to let the route develop and step into the throw. Have you seen our offensive line?

Our offense is hamstrung by a horrid right side. Free is grading out as the 2nd worst tackle in the league and the lower of the C battle been in some rumors to replace Berny and his ol-e routine at RG.

You can easily see our problem just by glancing at team stats:

Offense: 16th total yards, 4th in passing yards, 29th in rushing yards with 3.4 ypc.

Defense: 4th in total yards, 1st in passing yards, 15th in rushing yards

Until we fix our offensive line this team will be stymied by ANY mistakes. If we want to win we have to play well absolutely zero margin for error.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Romo makes STUPID decisions sometimes. Detroit last year, and the jets game (forcing the ball to Dez BTW) come to mind. If Dez produced like Cruz, you wouldnt hear us ***** when he dropped the ball either. Cruz has been >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dez so far in their careers.

Rank Quarterback Rating
1 Aaron Rodgers 103.5
2 Steve Young 96.8
3 Tom Brady 96.6
4 Tony Romo 95.9
5 Philip Rivers 95.4
6 Peyton Manning 95.1
7 Kurt Warner 93.7
8 Drew Brees 93.6
9 Joe Montana 92.3

Im NOT saying Romo is a top 10 QB of all time, but hes better than yall are giving him credit for. Romo is ALWAYS in the top 10 in yards per pass attempt too, which means hes throwing down the field
You're the one saying he's throwing down field when he shouldn't. I never had an issue with it. I think he needs to do it more. That's my main thing. Getting his #1 and #2 WRs more involved. Your whole defense of Cruz is not applicable to Dez because Romo doesn't involve him the same way that Eli involves Cruz. I hope you get that. Cruz has 55 targets. If you combine Nicks (20) and Hixon (25), you get 55 targets to the #2 WR. Dez has 33. Austin has 28. Considering how early we are in the season so far, that's a BIG difference. I think it's clear, the trust factor between Eli and his WRs and Romo and his WRs are not anywhere close to each other.

...and the whole idea of "practicing together" really might not be an issue like I hinted that it could be.... it just might boil down to Romo's mentality compared to Eli's. Period. The way Eli just throws it up to Nicks/Bennett in tight coverage...he trusts that those big physical guys to win their battles and come up with the ball. Sad thing is... Dez and Austin are 2 very damn physical WRs too, but they don't get that trust from Romo.

Romo's history in the league has probably made him think that way. As you pointed out... his history has been that he makes stupid mistakes. ...and THAT he does. It's come to the point where he's too scared of making a repeat of those mistakes, so he avoids throwing to his first and second reads unless they are open. It's probably a big reason why there hasn't been a special bond between him and any of the WRs that have been here since he has been here.

He's molded himself into a checkdown QB that holds onto the ball too long, panics looking for the open guy which is usually the #3WR, dump off to a RB or Witten as his safety valve.

I went to do some research... I wondered where do the Cowboys rank in terms of the # of targets our top WR gets compared to other teams?

Rank for # of targets thrown to / Player / Team

NFC N
5 Brandon Marshall CHI
18 Calvin Johnson DET
22 Jordy Nelson GB
11 Percy Harvin MIN

NFC S
11 Julio Jones ATL
22 Steve L. Smith CAR
7 Marques Colston NO
28 Vincent Jackson TB

NFC E
2 Victor Cruz NYG
21 DeSean Jackson PHI

NFC W
6 Larry Fitzgerald ARZ
22 Michael Crabtree SF
10 Danny Amendola SL

AFC N
22 Anquan Boldin BLT
4 A.J. Green CIN
22 Antonio Brown PIT

AFC S
1 Reggie Wayne IND
19 Kendall Wright TEN

AFC E
13 Steve Johnson BUF
9 Brian Hartline MIA
19 Santonio Holmes NYJ
7 Wes Welker NE

AFC W
13 Demaryius Thomas DEN
2 Dwayne Bowe KC

All of those teams have WRs with more targets than Dez. It's not an exact relationship to prove a point, but it's at least somewhat telling.

The only teams with QBs who target their WRs less than we do are:

WAS, SEA, CLE, JAX, HOU, OAK, SD

3 teams with rookie QBs, 1 with a sucky soph in Gabbert, 1 team in HOU who is built to run first and OAK and SD who have absolutely crap talent at WR.

I know our OL is bad, but not bad enough that we should be the lowest scoring offense in the NFL. That is just TOO SAD and that falls on Garrett and the QB. It just does.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:04 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano View Post
I think he had some chemistry with TO... TO dropped lots of passes but Romo was willing to throw him the ball...
What I'm saying is that sometimes you have to force some balls to get on a rhythm. I'm not saying making bad decision but trusting your WR to win his battle. We did a good job of covering Marshall but still he was able to come with lots of catches. I think that's pretty much what happens with every top WR in this league. Throwing to the open guy sometimes means that you're not getting a first down.
Exactly on both points.

One, Marshall was covered, but Jay didn't give up on him. The Bears OL is terrible too, so Romo doesn't get that excuse. I'm sorry. Not this time.

Two, how many times do we have to watch short catches on 3rd and long only to see us come up short and having to punt? That's a fricken mental block on Romo. Or bad play calling on Garrett. Take your pick.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:14 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess i was watching a different game than you guys. I was screaming at the tv because Marshall was running WIDE OPEN on many of those catches. Kept wondering why Carr wasnt up on him. Go back and look at his TD, NOBODY within 10 yards of him.

I just dont get the Romo hate. Hes a top 10 QB IMO. Shrugs...

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
A prerequisite for throwing the ball deep is having enough time in the pocket to let the route develop and step into the throw. Have you seen our offensive line?

Our offense is hamstrung by a horrid right side. Free is grading out as the 2nd worst tackle in the league and the lower of the C battle been in some rumors to replace Berny and his ol-e routine at RG.

Offense: 16th total yards, 4th in passing yards, 29th in rushing yards with 3.4 ypc.

Until we fix our offensive line this team will be stymied by ANY mistakes. If we want to win we have to play well absolutely zero margin for error.
At the same time, you can try to adjust for that with play calling... whether it be screens, 3 step drops, hurry up offense, quick sideline out passes...heck... things like running the ball with the right guy... When I saw Ogletree take the handoff against the Bears all I could do was smh.

We can't overcome all of our OL woes, but I don't even see some of the things done that can be done.

...and that's not all Tony's fault. I admit that.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:

+ Rep THIS is our problem, not Romo

Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

Quote:
At the same time, you can try to adjust for that with play calling... whether it be screens, 3 step drops, hurry up offense, quick sideline out passes...heck... things like running the ball with the right guy... When I saw Ogletree take the handoff against the Bears all I could do was smh.

We can't overcome all of our OL woes, but I don't even see some of the things done that can be done.

...and that's not all Tony's fault. I admit that.
Question, if Romo was the QB in houston would they be SB favorites?

Old 10-09-2012, 07:22 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I guess i was watching a different game than you guys. I was screaming at the tv because Marshall was running WIDE OPEN on many of those catches. Kept wondering why Carr wasnt up on him. Go back and look at his TD, NOBODY within 10 yards of him.

He's a Top 10 QB in spurts. But there is NO consistency in his game to justify him being called a Top 10 QB ALL THE TIME. It's not like he's a great QB on a bad team.

Heck, I'd even put RG3 and Luck ahead of him if we're talking about QB rankings. Cutler looked better than Romo on MNF. Romo is a Top 10 sometimes. It depends game to game.

We could be doing a HELL OF A LOT WORSE.... this I KNOW... but I'm just tired of the inconsistency, regretful of the front office for not properly addressing the OL in the offseason, and lastly... I can't wait till we beat the Ravens. We need it.... and we ARE doing it!!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 07:26 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Question, if Romo was the QB in houston would they be SB favorites?
You can insert any QB's name with more than 3 years starting experience and HOU would be one of the SB favorites right now.

Good to see the Team thread active again! Woot!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Modano is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Moreover, Romo is not a west coast offense QB. Remember when we had that 12-4 season? Why was our offense so good? Because it was explosive and built on the big play. That's when Romo is at his best, when he goes deep. I don't know why he doesn't do that anymore, but prefers to get an easy completion for 4-5 yards. Romo is a gunslinger and he's great at improvising. I know it's something that usually doesn't apply to a QB, but he plays better when he's reckless. You can't change a tiger stripes. Maybe he'll turn the ball over more, but there'll also be way more benefits. He turned the ball over 5 times playing captain check down against the Bears.

In Bob We Trust

Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Moreover, Romo is not a west coast offense QB. Remember when we had that 12-4 season? Why was our offense so good? Because it was explosive and built on the big play. That's when Romo is at his best, when he goes deep. I don't know why he doesn't do that anymore, but prefers to get an easy completion for 4-5 yards. Romo is a gunslinger and he's great at improvising. I know it's something that usually doesn't apply to a QB, but he plays better when he's reckless. You can't change a tiger stripes. Maybe he'll turn the ball over more, but there'll also be way more benefits. He turned the ball over 5 times playing captain check down against the Bears.
I'll say it again. OFFENSIVE LINE. You cannot run effective play action and 5 step drops when you let interior lineman like Melton run untouched on a stunt. They key to the deep ball is having the time for the play to develop.

As far as the 5 INT comment. Dez gets credit for one for not understanding hot routes. Ogletree gets pushing a perfect pass straight up without contact for a pick. Melton's strip/punch I still call a fumble but meh. When you get to the QB before he finishes a three step drop you are going to win. THEN you got reckless Tony forcing the ball deep resulting in the last 2 INTs.

D - you crack me up. Tony is certainly a great QB on a string of ****** football teams. Nothing like being top 10 all-time in QB rating behind some of the worst olines in the league. He's CERTAINLY well above Aikman. Give him that line and he doesn't need Emmitt to carry him to a few SB titles.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 AM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

I get the OL argument, but didn't Rodgers and Eli won a SB with bad OLs? I get that, you need a good OL. But when you don't have one, it's when you need your QB to step up.
I've always been a huge Romo fan, but he needs to show me more or it's time to move on.

In Bob We Trust

Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

D - you crack me up. Tony is certainly a great QB on a string of ****** football teams. Nothing like being top 10 all-time in QB rating behind some of the worst olines in the league. He's CERTAINLY well above Aikman. Give him that line and he doesn't need Emmitt to carry him to a few SB titles.
I don't know how old you are but Aikman was not only great, he took his game to another level on the big stage. The guy had a psyche of steel and all the intangibles to be a multiple-SB winner.

Saying Romo is CERTAINLY well above Aikman is a prime example of why you need to do more than watch the box scores.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:29 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinisher View Post
I don't know how old you are but Aikman was not only great, he took his game to another level on the big stage. The guy had a psyche of steel and all the intangibles to be a multiple-SB winner.

Saying Romo is CERTAINLY well above Aikman is a prime example of why you need to do more than watch the box scores.
You should probably investigate rather than keeping your fandom blinders on so tight. I watched every game of Aikman's career and stand by my previous comment.

Quote:
Troy Aikman was a six-time pro bowler and was inducted into the hall of fame in 2006. He had six straight playoff appearances and won three Super Bowls.

Troy Aikman only passed for 20 or more touchdowns once in his career. His career high was 23 in 1992 and never did it again in his 11 season career.
The Dallas Cowboys also had the NFL record holder for career rushing yards Emmitt Smith during this time period. Dallas had a top ranked defense through most of their winning seasons with Aikman as quarterback.

Aikman never put up more than 4,000 yards passing. Not once. His career high was 3,445 yards. He threw 164 touchdowns and 141 interceptions, a ratio of 1.1:1. Aikman also only averaged 199.6 yards per game. Being surrounded by other hall of famers should have boosted his production, but only came out to be average.
If you put Tony on a team with the best offensive line, defense, and #1, perhaps of all time, RBs with Emmitt he'd have absolutely no trouble. Hell Tony could of done just as much with that offensive line :P.

Quote:
4. Troy Aikman (1989-2000)
What do you want us to say? Aikman was an ordinary passer surrounded by great talent – though he did earn his way into the Hall of Fame by virtue of several great Super Bowl performances. Those performances always carry a lot of weight with the Cold, Hard Football Facts and Aikman stands firmly entrenched forevermore on our list of Super Bowl Legends.

But Aikman's career production, by any measure, was only average. He was surrounded by a Hall of Fame running back, a Hall of Fame receiver, and at least one Hall of Fame offensive lineman (Larry Allen). That fact that all this talent led to very ordinary career numbers from Aikman tells us that he was, at least during the regular season, a very ordinary quarterback.

The Cold, Hard Football Facts generally don't believe in the notion of "system quarterbacks." Yes, they do exist, but the term is thrown around far too often, as quarterbacks are often solely responsible for the success or failure of a particular system. A lousy quarterback, for example, is not going to succeed in a great "system." But a great quarterback can have great success even in an ordinary "system."

With that said, Aikman certainly stands as a prototypical "system" kind of guy – someone who found himself at the right place at the right time and did just enough to succeed on incredibly talented teams. Quite frankly, there are many quarterbacks the pigskin public considers as only ordinary who likely could have had the same success in the Dallas "system" of Aikman's era: hand the ball to the most productive ballcarrier in history, stand behind a formidable offensive line and toss passes to your Hall of Fame "playmaker" when the **** gets heavy.

The bottom line is that Aikman stands at No. 32 on the all-time passer rating list (81.62), a very average number for his era. His spot on the list, believe it or not, puts him right behind his predecessor in Dallas, Danny White (81.71) and right ahead of longtime journeyman Dave Krieg (81.50).
Ouch. And not to kick a blind man when he's down but compare some more fun numbers...

1 Aaron Rodgers (28) 103.5 2005-2012
2 Steve Young+ 96.8 1985-1999
3 Tom Brady (34) 96.6 2000-2012
4 Tony Romo (31) 95.9 2004-2012
5 Philip Rivers (30) 95.4 2004-2012
6 Peyton Manning (35) 95.1 1998-2012
7 Drew Brees (32) 93.9 2001-2012
8 Kurt Warner 93.7 1998-2009
9 Matt Schaub (30) 92.6 2004-2012
10 Ben Roethlisberger (29) 92.5 2004-2012
11 Joe Montana+ 92.3 1979-1994
12 Chad Pennington 90.1 2000-2010
13 Matt Ryan (26) 90 2008-2012
14 Daunte Culpepper 87.8 1999-2009
15 Jeff Garcia (41) 87.5 1999-2011
16 Otto Graham+ 86.6 1946-1955
17 Dan Marino+ 86.4 1983-1999
18 Joe Flacco (26) 86.3 2008-2012
Carson Palmer (32) 86.3 2004-2012
20 Brett Favre 86 1991-2010
Trent Green 86 1997-2008
22 Shaun Hill (31) 85.9 2005-2012
23 David Garrard 85.8 2002-2010
24 Donovan McNabb (35) 85.6 1999-2011
25 Rich Gannon 84.7 1987-2004
26 Marc Bulger 84.4 2002-2009
Jim Kelly+ 84.4 1986-1996
28 Matthew Stafford (23) 84.3 2009-2012
29 Jay Cutler (28) 84.2 2006-2012
30 Mark Brunell (41) 84 1994-2011
31 Roger Staubach+ 83.4 1969-1979
32 Jason Campbell (30) 82.8 2006-2012
Eli Manning (30) 82.8 2004-2012
Steve McNair 82.8 1995-2007
35 Brian Griese 82.7 1998-2008
Neil Lomax 82.7 1981-1988
37 Sonny Jurgensen+ 82.6 1957-1974
Len Dawson+ 82.6 1957-1975
39 Brad Johnson 82.5 1994-2008
40 Matt Hasselbeck (36) 82.1 1999-2012
41 Ken Anderson 81.9 1971-1986
42 Bernie Kosar 81.8 1985-1996
Neil O'Donnell 81.8 1991-2003
44 Danny White 81.7 1976-1988
45 Troy Aikman+ 81.6 1989-2000

So Tony with some of the worst olines in the league and a group of talented but not HOF skill position players has a career passer rating of 95.9 more than 14 points higher than Troy.

Troy was a career 61% passer. For comparison's sake he's equal to this season's Joe Flacco and Carson Palmer in passer rating and completion %. Granted both have FAR superior TD to INT ratios. Hell Troy had one "elite" year in 1993 with a 69% completion and 99 QBR. Happens that Romo AVERAGES about that mark.

Not sure about the "elevate his play" comment though. Unless you condense his career down to 1992 and 1993 Aikman was not elevating anything. Troy was a 63% passer with a 88.3 QBR in the postseason. He had an amazing run in 1992 and 1993 but also had some major clunkers. Remember the Lions in 91? Or the Niners in 94? Hell anything after 1995 is just plain awful.

I won't rant anymore about this but IMHO he's massively overrated by Cowboy fans. SB rings are a team achievement and the fact that Troy got carried to titles isn't a mark in his favor. A rather large subset of NFL viewers see him in the same light if you want to take a look around.

Last edited by Trogdor : 10-10-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:40 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Again, you shouldn't put all your stock into stats. Based on stats, Romo is a top 5 QB of all time and Daunte Culpepper and Chad Pennington are fringe top 10 QBs of all time... that should tell you all you need to know. Romo plays in a very QB stat friendly offense, Aikman played in a heavy run-first offense.

I value Aikman for the same reasons I value Eli, they were clutch when it mattered and are proven winners.

If we miss the playoffs again that will be the 4th time in 5 seasons with Romo at the helm, but at least he has the stats!

Last edited by TheFinisher : 10-10-2012 at 08:42 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:44 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Troy Aikman was better than Tony Romo.

I don't understand how it's even an argument. You can't compare stats from 2 different eras. Today's passing game is completely different from what it was in the 80s and 90s.

I understand your general point that Tony Romo is underrated, and I agree with you, I've been a Romo fan and supporter on here for a long time. But he's not better than Aikman.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

As promised not continuing :)

Broaddus put out a fun (if you are a sadist) article about Ed Reed vs Roy Williams back in the day.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ar...4-80868baf48b0

Quote:
I remember when Newsome drafted Ed Reed out of Miami in 2002. We were in the market for a safety as well and ended up taking Roy Williams from Oklahoma. At the time, we had Darren Woodson and were looking to pair him with a big, physical safety, which is what we saw in Williams. It was not that we didnít like Reed, because we did. His college tape was quite impressive and you always saw him around the football, whether it was an interception or a fumble recovery. If we had been looking for a player that was more of a true free safety rather than a strong safety, he would have been an outstanding consideration.
I can't help but cry a little inside but that's no fault of our scouting more so on the entire having dual physical safeties in our scheme. When will we finally grab a rangy centerfield FS?

:) Full disclosure I definitely own a Roy Williams (#31) jersey.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Too many times I saw Sensy on Marshall. When they put Carr on him and Carr got beat it was understandable. You're going to give that up when you've got a 6'4 receiver with all world talent, but not having your best corner on him is just asking for it. They'd let him loose too easy on their zones. A guy like that can't go running around for 6-8 yards without anybody touching him.

I like how they put Claiborne up against Jeffery and let them battle it out. Claiborne is definitely a keeper. I want Rob to make sure he uses his corner's to their best ability though. If you've got big receivers coming in use Carr and Claiborne to press the hell out of them.

As for the Romo thing, it happens every year when he has a bad game or they lose. He's not having too bad of a season, but he can stand to get better. Last year at the 4 game mark everyone was wanting him gone, and by the end of the year the cries became, "We're wasting his talent!" lol Romo is fine. He and Dez need to get on the same page, but it's not all doom and gloom considering they haven't had a lot of in game time together. Romo missed a ton of 2010, and so did Dez. Last year there was a short training camp and Dez was banged up. They gotta give it some time. I'm not making excuses at all. Dez needs to get his head straight, but it's not a waste.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Romo is a mental midget compared to Aikman. QB rating is one of the worst gauges to use as a measuring stick to compare greatness of players. I thought that was widely known. But to do it between eras makes it even worse. The fact that David Garrard's name is up there makes me laugh.

It's true, this is just the routine time of year that we bash Romo. Hopefully, we love him after he beats BAL. I have faith that we will win that game with 2 weeks to prepare and play them at home.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Modano
Veteran

Quote:
Romo is a mental midget compared to Aikman. QB rating is one of the worst gauges to use as a measuring stick to compare greatness of players. I thought that was widely known. But to do it between eras makes it even worse. The fact that David Garrard's name is up there makes me laugh.

It's true, this is just the routine time of year that we bash Romo. Hopefully, we love him after he beats BAL. I have faith that we will win that game with 2 weeks to prepare and play them at home.
I want him to step up and play to his strength, which is not throwing short routes or to his safety valve.

In Bob We Trust

Old 10-10-2012, 02:28 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I want him to step up and play to his strength, which is not throwing short routes or to his safety valve.
Those are his strengths. haha.

It's too late to want him to do anything different than what we've already seen from him. He is what he is.

Does anybody get the sense that he works tirelessly with his WRs like Peyton Manning does with his? I keep getting knocked that I'm just assuming he doesn't put in the work. But who knows if he really does? Wouldn't it be dead obvious if he did? I think I'm more right on this one than anyone who disagrees wants to acknowledge. I'm not saying they don't work together. I'm just saying it's an average level. They both come to work and do what they're supposed to do in the time allowed. Once in a while they might stay after practice to work on things, but again... that's the norm too.

Romo is too Hollywood. He talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. He spends his free time golfing on the tour. His whole mentality is not that of a great leader. This is the guy who went to Cancun during the playoffs. This is the guy who shacked up Carrie Underwood and Jessica Simpson only to settle down with Ms. Missouri. He says he'll learn from each mistake, but he doesn't. When he comes up with excuses he says, "We each have to do our job." No, I'm sorry. That doesn't work for me. He needs to do EVERYONE'S job... meaning he needs to pick up the slack where it's needed and get in the ears and make sure the work is being put in where everyone can do their job better. If it means extra study with the OL, extra work with the WRs... DO IT. He's gotta help make up for their inefficiencies. We know Dez is a dumb nut. So make sure you put in enough work for audibles to work! Those mistakes should be made in practice. Not in games. If the OL is not making the reads they are supposed to be making, make sure you're in the film room with them. Not saying that doesn't happen, but he's the leader of this team and everything on offense is a reflection of him. He's been around long enough and been in this system long enough to MASTER it. Yet this offense plays so fricken vanilla it's sickening!

I gotta stop. I'm working myself up too much. hah. C'mon ROMO!