Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-11-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Never thought about it before, but I'm not completely sold on that idea. Heck, I wonder if Orton would be better Romo to be honest. Talent wise Romo is better for sure, but I'm not sure about it when it comes to making decisions on the field.

I honestly think he makes good decisions for the most part, it's just he's not the guy you want coming back from a big score. Because then he's forcing everything all over the place and pressing. I mean, how many INT's did he have due to other people before the game got out of hand and he was just tossing the ball wherever. I guess I could blame him for that flip INT but look how bad the Guard got beat, it was almost immediately. Maybe he should have just covered to take the sack, but we know that isn't him and he's made a ton of big plays that started out by doing something stupid.

I realize that's who he is, but it also doesn't help when you don't have someone to reel him in. Parcells saw it, and he did a good job of putting an emphasis on it. I know Romo is his own man, but Parcells wasn't for being careless with the football nor his QB, he pounded that in his head and at every press conference. I don't think anyone is doing that now, but I also don't think we are working on penalties, ever, either so who knows.

I think certain variables would help though. What about if we surprise some people and take a QB in the 1st round next year with the intent of developing him slowly behind Romo. Willing to wait 2-3 years. But the pressure on playing in front of a 1st rd QB is big time motivation, ask Drew Brees. I don't think we are winning the SB in the next 3 years anyway, so why not take the 1st rd QB now and take our time with him, and not have a drop off when Romo is gone?

I know most teams don't do that anymore, but I'd draft a QB in the 1st rd and sit him 3 years if I was a big fan of the talent I was getting. I'd much rather that, then waste 8 years trying to find a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Completely off topic, and I know it just started, but even before then when I watch Britt play, he gets opportunities to make plays when he's covered all the time. Hasselback will run jump ball fades, back shoulder fades, every single route he's covered on but it puts some air under it and lets him make a play.

I wish Romo would do that more often, but he's more of a timing, precision passer, and that's not really the style of Dez. When I think about it, I bet Britt wouldn't look half as good here. Look at most of his big plays over his career and how the ball was delivered. The only time I remember us doing that was when Kitna was the QB and that's when Dez made plays like the one in my sig, and since that time I can't remember Dez getting opportunities like that.

All that said, it's just an observation. Doesn't excuse either one of them playing the way they did. Dez was one of the best WR's in the NFL in catch rate last year, in fact I think he was 2nd in the entire league. He doesn't typically do that, I just think he's pressing. Or maybe mentally checking out. But he's a sure handed WR, so hopefully he'll get out of it at some point. I just think there is a lot to his game that we aren't utilizing properly.
DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
I honestly think he makes good decisions for the most part, it's just he's not the guy you want coming back from a big score. Because then he's forcing everything all over the place and pressing. I mean, how many INT's did he have due to other people before the game got out of hand and he was just tossing the ball wherever. I guess I could blame him for that flip INT but look how bad the Guard got beat, it was almost immediately. Maybe he should have just covered to take the sack, but we know that isn't him and he's made a ton of big plays that started out by doing something stupid.

I realize that's who he is, but it also doesn't help when you don't have someone to reel him in. Parcells saw it, and he did a good job of putting an emphasis on it. I know Romo is his own man, but Parcells wasn't for being careless with the football nor his QB, he pounded that in his head and at every press conference. I don't think anyone is doing that now, but I also don't think we are working on penalties, ever, either so who knows.

I think certain variables would help though. What about if we surprise some people and take a QB in the 1st round next year with the intent of developing him slowly behind Romo. Willing to wait 2-3 years. But the pressure on playing in front of a 1st rd QB is big time motivation, ask Drew Brees. I don't think we are winning the SB in the next 3 years anyway, so why not take the 1st rd QB now and take our time with him, and not have a drop off when Romo is gone?

I know most teams don't do that anymore, but I'd draft a QB in the 1st rd and sit him 3 years if I was a big fan of the talent I was getting. I'd much rather that, then waste 8 years trying to find a replacement.
Yep. What this guy said.

So what do you guys think of what Bill Callahan said today? Basically says we need to dumb it down for Romo.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowbo...-for-tony-romo

After 6 years in the system, we gotta dumb it down for him.

...and here I was thinking we look too vanilla on Offense.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, what we need is for our offensive line to knock the defenders off the ball. Everyone is spending WAY TOO MUCH time talking about Romo the last two weeks and not enough about how our OL is horrid and pathetic.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:44 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

In the offseason, do you trade Mike Jenkins for a late 3rd rounder?
Old 10-12-2012, 08:01 AM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
In the offseason, do you trade Mike Jenkins for a late 3rd rounder?
Who would do that? The opportunity to trade Jenkins was this past offseason. As soon as the season ends, any team that needs a CB knows he's not going to be resigned by the Cowboys. It's Marty B all over again, Jenkins becomes a FA right? Or can they throw a tag on him?

If he isn't traded by the trade deadline he's leaving the Cowboys for nothing, IMO.

Quote:
Yep. What this guy said.

So what do you guys think of what Bill Callahan said today? Basically says we need to dumb it down for Romo.

Context is everything, we've seen Romo succeed in the offense as it is. He's not Michael Vick struggling with the blitz, or some young QB having trouble picking up the offense.

Infact, I think it's easier(and done purposely) to pin things on Romo in this situation, instead of the young OL and WR's that can't seem to read the defense correctly. Callahan is basically saying, get to the line, make a call, and go. Ala the fantastic two minute drill they ran before the half last game. The offense has shown to not be able to run effectively despite Romo calling the right protection & hot routes, so...just go man on man, and run the play. He's also saying "making them simpler" for romo = running the ball effectively. Gotta read the whole interview.

Last edited by FreshBoy! : 10-12-2012 at 08:08 AM.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:11 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yep. What this guy said.

Did you read anything but TMZ, err I mean ESPN's, title?

Quote:
The best way to do that would be to protect him better, and Callahan’s offensive line is working on that.
The rest isn't about making the offense more vanilla or dumbing it down... just less options. Right now he's taking 3 or 4 plays to the line and making a decision. Hard to call the right play when you know your line has the "talent" to get you sacked on a three step drop, or the question in the back of your mind if your receiver knows the route he's supposed to run.

Don't fall prey to self-fulfilling prophecies. ESPN has a knack for drawing conclusions well before the facts are out.

As far as Jenks it depends on our safety situation. If we aren't planning on drafting one high or targeting a premier safety (Goldson/Phillips/etc) then we have a huge need to resign. If we are covered then we can certainly explore trades.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:12 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshBoy! View Post
Who would do that? The opportunity to trade Jenkins was this past offseason. As soon as the season ends, any team that needs a CB knows he's not going to be resigned by the Cowboys. It's Marty B all over again, Jenkins becomes a FA right? Or can they throw a tag on him?

If he isn't traded by the trade deadline he's leaving the Cowboys for nothing, IMO.

Context is everything, we've seen Romo succeed in the offense as it is. He's not Michael Vick struggling with the blitz, or some young QB having trouble picking up the offense.

Infact, I think it's easier(and done purposely) to pin things on Romo in this situation, instead of the young OL and WR's that can't seem to read the defense correctly. Callahan is basically saying, get to the line, make a call, and go. Ala the fantastic two minute drill they ran before the half last game. The offense has shown to not be able to run effectively despite Romo calling the right protection & hot routes, so...just go man on man, and run the play. He's also saying "making them simpler" for romo = running the ball effectively. Gotta read the whole interview.
DING DING DING! Stop making sense :P :)
Old 10-12-2012, 12:35 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We should get a 4th rder compensation pick for Jenkins though at worst, right? Granted I don't know how that works, but he's going to go somewhere to be a #1 CB and if he keeps it up he'll be paid like it. That should net us a nice return pick, in which case it never made sense to move him. Nobody was/is giving up a 2nd anyway, and we have much needed depth this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:

If we place any kind of tag on Jenkins, like the Transition tag then we have the right to match what he gets on the open market. Since we have that ability to threaten to match, we could instead work out a deal with that deal to trade him.

It happens all the time. Teams Franchise tag a player with the intent to trade him and not lose him for nothing.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yep. What this guy said.

Yeah that's interesting to read. Is Romo struggling with pre snap reads and then making changes to put the offense in the best spot to succeed? Do you Dallas fans feel that could be an issue? I never really thought of Romo as a cerebral QB.

I would think by this juncture in his career you can even add more stuff to his plate. I know early in Eli's career I wished we took stuff off his plate. But now, I like what he has reign to do pre snap.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 PM    (permalink
FreshBoy!
Veteran

FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FreshBoy! is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Yeah that's interesting to read. Is Romo struggling with pre snap reads and then making changes to put the offense in the best spot to succeed? Do you Dallas fans feel that could be an issue? I never really thought of Romo as a cerebral QB.

I would think by this juncture in his career you can even add more stuff to his plate. I know early in Eli's career I wished we took stuff off his plate. But now, I like what he has reign to do pre snap.
Ignore D-Unit..he's in a "I hate Romo, start Orton" phase right now.

The comments had nothing to do with Romo not knowing the offense, but moreso the OL/WR's struggling with their assignments...

And also getting the running game going.

We've seen the #'s Romo's put up in this offense...just a season ago. It's ridiculous to even think he doesn't "get it".

Nonsense.
FreshBoy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:03 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Ignore D-Unit..he's in a "I hate Romo, start Orton" phase right now.

The comments had nothing to do with Romo not knowing the offense, but moreso the OL/WR's struggling with their assignments...

And also getting the running game going.

We've seen the #'s Romo's put up in this offense...just a season ago. It's ridiculous to even think he doesn't "get it".

Nonsense.
Actually, you're just ignoring the words coming out of Callahan's mouth to deflect blame from Romo.

These statements say it all...

Quote:
“We talked about just lightening his load and trying to do things that are simple and giving him more peace of mind that he can just come up and call a play and run it,” Callahan said.

“When you get on the road and you play in these types of environments, you’ve really got to be sharp,” Callahan said. “You’ve got to be in tune, and obviously if you have less and you can function a little bit faster, it certainly helps you.”

Callahan’s belief is that cutting back on those checks “allows the quarterback to function a little bit freer.”

“When you’re trying to get everybody together and steady everybody and get more consistency and better execution, sometimes the answer is try to pull back a little bit so that you can do a little bit better,” Callahan said. “Less is better in our minds.”

How can the Cowboys simplify things for Romo after the snap?

“Hand it off,” Callahan joked.
It's not that Romo doesn't know the depth of the playbook. It's that he's not a good decision maker in choosing the right play to run. Nobody can argue that Romo is a great decision maker. I think Callahan is doing the right thing by simplifying the playcalls for Romo. The less he has to decide, the better.

Sad thing is... our vanilla offense is about to turn into cream and sugar. Last time we played the Ravens, Ray Lewis criticized our offense as way too predictable. You guys remember that right?

Let's see if things have changed at all since then. I doubt it.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:08 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think D need to take a hiatus away from here for a few days. He's bring all of us down with his negative Romo talk.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Just ignore D when it comes to Romo. He's just trolling at this point. The playcalling doesn't matter one bit if your QB gets sacked on three step drops. Fix the protection and we are back to at least last year's offense which is more than enough to win games.

Quote:
Linebacker Anthony Spencer practiced on a limited basis on Friday as he continues to struggle with a strained pectoral muscle.

He is officially listed as questionable for the game against the Ravens Sunday but he will likely be held out as the Cowboys will continue to be cautious with Spencer to avoid it becoming a season-ending injury.

Not good news with Ray Rice on deck. Victor Butler would seemingly be the next man up, but he might be back to pass-rush duties only after a sub-par performance against the Bears. Looks like Alex Albright might get a shot at showing what he can do.

Look for Victor Butler and Alex Albright to alternate in his place against the Ravens. Albright will likely start in the regular defense with Butler handling pass rush duties.
Exactly as I called it. Butler cannot even play passable run defense so we are starting a borderline ST (no offense to Albright) instead. At least we aren't presenting a giant hole to Rice. Spencer needs to get healthy quick. Makes me wonder about Wilber though. Would of liked to see him taking those snaps. I wonder if we'll play "heavy" on the dline (more Spears/Coleman/Brent) to minimize the loss of Spencer.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I think D need to take a hiatus away from here for a few days. He's bring all of us down with his negative Romo talk.
Hey, I'm the crazy one who thinks we can beat Baltimore! lol.

I like to optimistic in the moment...

But I've never tried to be one who completely shies away from facing the brutal truth when it comes to my team. When we got problems to deal with I don't try to sugar coat it. But I do try to give the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the "unknowns". ...been burnt down that road before.... tried to have hope in Arkin, Bernadeau, Jason Williams and on and on and on....heck I even remember thinking Montavious Stanley would be our future NT! LOL! I loved his draft day telcon.

But man... we got some problems with Romo, Garrett, leadership and identity. We just have to hope from game to game that we get by despite their flaws.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:56 AM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Just ignore D when it comes to Romo. He's just trolling at this point. The playcalling doesn't matter one bit if your QB gets sacked on three step drops. Fix the protection and we are back to at least last year's offense which is more than enough to win games.

Exactly as I called it. Butler cannot even play passable run defense so we are starting a borderline ST (no offense to Albright) instead. At least we aren't presenting a giant hole to Rice. Spencer needs to get healthy quick. Makes me wonder about Wilber though. Would of liked to see him taking those snaps. I wonder if we'll play "heavy" on the dline (more Spears/Coleman/Brent) to minimize the loss of Spencer.
It would be really telling if Albright actually gets the start over Butler. Being the OLB opposite Ware you absolutely have to play good run D and coverage because they're not going toward Ware a lot. People know how great he is everywhere, so the ROLB is going to get picked on. It's one of those things people kept overlooking with Spencer because "He doesn't have double digit sacks!" I like Butler still, but he really needs to improve his all around game besides the pass rush.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
It would be really telling if Albright actually gets the start over Butler. Being the OLB opposite Ware you absolutely have to play good run D and coverage because they're not going toward Ware a lot. People know how great he is everywhere, so the ROLB is going to get picked on. It's one of those things people kept overlooking with Spencer because "He doesn't have double digit sacks!" I like Butler still, but he really needs to improve his all around game besides the pass rush.
Absolutely. I mean I rag on Butler a lot but he's our second best pass rusher by a mile he just cannot play the run passably. It's not even a physical thing he just takes false steps or fails to sit in the hole and then gets washed out of the play.

I think we'll be seeing a lot of combo formations. When Butler is in on 1st/2nd downs don't be surprised to see Coleman or Spears always on his side to "set the edge" and help with run support. While when Albright is out we play Lisse/Crawford for the additional pass rush.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:51 AM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

I really see the OL as the one glaring issue on our team. Bash Romo and Garrett all you want, but it's the OL.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:25 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroyisgod View Post
I really see the OL as the one glaring issue on our team. Bash Romo and Garrett all you want, but it's the OL.
I don't give the OL a free pass. But it does suck when the Giants can with the SB with one of the worst OLs in the league.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't give the OL a free pass. But it does suck when the Giants can with the SB with one of the worst OLs in the league.
It's a lot easier to win with crappy OTs than a crappy interior line. Hell look at the Saint's teams up until this year. Elite interior line and Brees has all day to throw snd if pressure does come he just steps up. Romo doesn't have a pocket to step into. He has to sidestep or scramble away from the pocket. HUGE difference. We don't need an elite line to win just no one who can be targeted every play. Right now Free and Berny are getting tormented sort of like Alan Ball at FS. Yes I died a little inside having to think about that.

Biggest question is now that we have clearly shown our interior line isn't up to snuff how to we band-aid for the rest of the year? The fact we aren't running a bunch of screens, HB swings, and getting Murray involved in the passing game (motioning into slot etc) is killing me. When Felix couldn't get going a few years ago with a bad line we moved him all over the field and used screens/quick hits/swings as our "running game".

Garrett needs to utilize more from his bag of tricks to keep teams from keying on our mid range passing game.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:10 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Giants OL isn't nearly as bad as the Cowboys now. At least Bradshaw gets a chance. Murray barely sees a run without defenders being in the backfield.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
The Giants OL isn't nearly as bad as the Cowboys now. At least Bradshaw gets a chance. Murray barely sees a run without defenders being in the backfield.
What do you think is wrong with Free? Ever since he got paid, he's been a big turd. Think he sees his $7M pay day next season?
Old 10-13-2012, 08:35 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To me it seems like he's lost some of his quickness and technique. Any news about him coming in overweight or anything of the sort? He just really looks lazy as hell, lethargic as he's shuffling his feet, almost flat footed in pass protection. He gets beaten on the reg by quick passrushers, it's like he forgot how to play the position. The interior is just trash, and Free stopped giving a ****. If it weren't for Tyron Smith, we'd be fielding an arena-league level offensive line.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

Quote:
What do you think is wrong with Free? Ever since he got paid, he's been a big turd. Think he sees his $7M pay day next season?
I hate to say it, but maybe he's a guy that played for the big money. It would be one thing if he was getting up there in age, but that's not the case. There was the injury that some people said could be it, but it might just be that he doesn't care anymore that he's got the big check. I don't care how much money he makes he can't be the starter next year with the way he's playing. It's so sad because he looked like a good find after all those OL busts.