Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 10-08-2012, 10:07 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I'm very satisfied with the Offense so far. It's nice to see some true balance, and I think the addition of Fells as another TE who can actually block has made a visible difference.

Is anybody disappointed with Lloyd though? I know he's had some tough matchups so far this season (Peterson, McCourty, Bailey, and Webb) but he really hasn't made that much of an impact so far. The stats look ok, but in reality he's pretty much giving us what Branch did last season. With how good the running game has looked this year there should really be some vertical passing open down the field with play action. However, Lloyd doesn't get enough separation, and Brady seems hesitant to throw to him when he's covered. The vertical element is the only thing missing with this offense, and with it this team could be unstoppable, unfortunately that deep threat still seems to be missing on the roster.
I have been relatively satisfied with Lloyd actually. While the Pats haven't gone down the field too often he was widened the field, if that makes sense. Last year the was no threat outside the numbers. Branch had a few nice games early on but realistically didn't garner any attention. With the right match ups Brady will use Lloyd's ability to exploit the defense. Look at the Baltimore game, Lloyd carved Cary Williams up with the 12 yard comeback every time.

As for play action, the Pats used play action maybe 3 times yesterday. It is something which will be used more extensively later in the season, however if it's no needed there is no point in doing it. Plus, Lloyd isn't a burner but he runs damn good routes and has a good knowledge of the offense.

To put it simply, the Pats have a RB committee that can get 200+ on the ground.

They have Welker who can rack up yards and catches.

They have Gronk who can dominate and take over games.

They have Lloyd who will kill single coverage.

They have Hernandez who, when healthy, can take over games.

All in all, the Pats have too many top tier weapons for everyone to have 100 yard days every week

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm fine with Lloyd. We'll get a better idea of his impact when teams start trying to stop the running game and Welker.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with you on Lloyd, and this is pretty much what I expected out of him. Unlike alot of people saying that hed be this deep threat for us, I really was hesitant to think that he would all of a sudden open that part of the passing game up for us. I also want more gronk involved, but I know he is playing through some pain right now so thats understandable, but I do want more out of Lloyd, I just dont know if that will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:39 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I can't remember who I read from on twiter, but he said the Pats DBs appear to be getting told to read the WRs eye and make a play then. However most of the time that is too late
This is one of the few times I am certain the Patriots are making a mistake.

Referees are told to throw the flag for PI if the DB makes contact and wasn't looking for the ball. It's one of those rules I have never liked (I think you should only get PI if you legitimately interfere...), but that's the way it's called. The Patriots usually adjust to things like this fairly well, but this is not one of those times.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dennard for president 2013! Jk, but I hope down the road he can play as good as he looked last night. And avoid going to jail. Thats a big one haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:09 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Dennard for president 2013! Jk, but I hope down the road he can play as good as he looked last night. And avoid going to jail. Thats a big one haha.
Ha

This is one thing to really have some hopes for. Sure Dennard was slightly overrated early in the draft process last year, however he was a legit 2nd or 3rd rounder before getting arrested. It really isn't unrealistic to expect him to be at the very least a very good rotational player.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
This is one of the few times I am certain the Patriots are making a mistake.

Referees are told to throw the flag for PI if the DB makes contact and wasn't looking for the ball. It's one of those rules I have never liked (I think you should only get PI if you legitimately interfere...), but that's the way it's called. The Patriots usually adjust to things like this fairly well, but this is not one of those times.
A few quotes from BB's press conference in regards to this

When asked specifically about McCourty failing to turn and play the ball

"It's fine if the ball is in the air and you turn. That's great. But if the ball is not in the air and you turn, and then the receiver sees you turn and goes in the other direction and uncovers, then you don't have the guy covered"

"There's a lot of different situations...If you don't look at the ball, then you have to play the receiver's hands and knock the ball out when the receiver tries to catch it. If you're looking at the ball then you play the ball - and hopefully the ball is in the air when you look at it. Because if you're looking at it and the ball isn't in the air, a good receiver will just uncover."

There is obviously a lot of sense in this and who am I to question Belichick's coaching methods, however, like a QB, a DB must have a clock in his head. If he has ran 40 yards down the field with the WR he has gotta know the QB has likely gotten rid of the ball in the 5 seconds it took to get that far. It's a fine technique to use on short to intermeidate routes, however if a guy runs a 9 on you and you've been in his pocket for 50 yards it makes sense at this point to turn to try and locate the ball

Old 10-09-2012, 10:43 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

More on McCourty from my own view

There are a few things in his game he does at an elite level and a few things he doesn't do so well for whatever reason.

A few CBs in the NFL can match a WR stride for stride on deep routes as well as McCourty. His make up speed is elite and so often he is in position to make a play. Very seldom does he give up inside breaking routes when in man coverage. With the exception of two games this year he has shown very good ball skills.

However on the down side. He almost over runs a lot of intermediate breaking routes leading to easy completions and PI. Santonio Holmes schooled him either last year or the year before on 12-15 yard comebacks. He needs to use the sideline better. Force the WR closer to the sideline so that he doesn't have the room to break his route outside.

All his issues are coachable. It seems as though he doesn't have full confidence in the safeites and therefore will play with inside leverage more often than not (not sure if the scheme calls for it or not). His upside is immense. He has the ability to shut down the likes of Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson while also being a threat to pick passes off. However at times it seems he plays out of control. He needs to trust his technique more than simply his athleticism. He can't defend the back shoulder fade (who can?) and smarter WRs can adjust their routes to make McCourty overrun his position.

The pass to Thomas late on Sunday was a prime example. Bey-Bey is a massive target and a great athlete. He torched Sterling Moore on he first long pass. However McCourty was all over him late, but Manning threw the ball short, Thomas came back for the ball while McCourty simply ran past him.

It almost seems as though McCourty is so concerned with the deep ball that it is all he is focused on. He doesn't get beat for 60 yard TDs, however he gives up 20-30 passes and PI.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:15 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I read Bill's response to the situation and it sounds like we agree. It's just that McCourty hasn't adjusted to the pro game entirely, yet.

It's just so frustrating to see other DBs able to make that play and him not.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:04 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

@CockyBelichick tweeted:

Quote:
@DangeRussWilson Hello Jamarcus Russell Wilson. Nice to meet you. Prepare to come up short this weekend. At 5'4" you shouldn't have a prob.
https://twitter.com/CockyBelichick/s...85069137350656

Quite funny.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:47 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

I think for the Pats to win against Seattle they are going to have to score some points early and sustain long drives to take the crowd out of the equation. It all starts up front and establishing the running game IMO.

The most important players, arguably after Brady, for this weekend are Mankins, Wendell and Connolly.

Brandon Mebane will spend most of the day slanted on Wendell from the left side. Combo blocks between he and Mankins need to be able to blow him off the line of scrimmage. However that will at times leave Connolly to single block Red Bryant in the run game. From a scheme point of view I would like to see Gronk motion to full back to help with a double team inside then get out to the LBs. The Pats do a great job of running off tackle both ways and running on Seattle's edges shouldn't be as much of a problem as it was Denver's (Von Miller and Doom actually do a very good job setting the edge). However the line need to get physical up front and let Ridley/Bolden pound it between the tackles. When we can establish a strong running game then Brady can utilise play action. The Seahawks LBs are exploitable, however I don't think it will be a good idea to go empty too often to dink and dunk it on them. If Brady is in empty and the crowd get into the game it will make communication extremely difficult.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

The offense (possibly) just got a little better... Hernandez is a game time decision!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:35 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you're overthinking the Seattle game. The Pats don't need to do anything special or specific to beat that team.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Vaylor
Rookie

Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vaylor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I think you're overthinking the Seattle game. The Pats don't need to do anything special or specific to beat that team.
They have a better defense and significantly better running game than Arizona. As long as Wilson doesn't crap the bed, Seattle will definitely be able to keep it a close game.
Vaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:23 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Their defense scares me more than any defense has in awhile. Conversely I feel the exact opposite about their offense. It's just impossible to simulate how big and physical their defensive backs are, and Earl Thomas is probably the best safety in the entire league. They're able to put some serious size up front with Mebane, Branch, and Bryant, so it's going to be extremely tough sledding in the run game. They're also incredibly good in press coverage with Sherman and Browner. We're going to need to be very clever play calling wise to isolate some of our quicker players in open space against their lanky corners. What they have in size we're going to have to counteract with agility. We're also going to need to bunch our receivers so that they can get some free releases. Also, Gronk needs to get the better of Chancellor and Thomas. Their whole team is physical, but Gronk is still the most physical guy on the field and he needs to play like it.

Also, we need consistent tackling to take down beast mode.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:50 PM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Good luck Pats fans. There's a chance of rain for tommrow's game. Negates some no huddle and running game advantages for you but makes Brady even stronger. Hawks may be better of punting on 3rd down.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:17 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Patriots/Seahawks preview is up:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/...-week-six.html
Old 10-14-2012, 09:07 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Nice write up. Wilson's ability to break contain, is going to be frustrating to watch.
I'm hoping to see some more Spikes blitzes as they seem to be very effective.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:29 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
But... the Patriots are 0-2 against teams with bird mascots.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

klsjdflakjdf;lajksdf;lajksdf;ajksdf;lakjdf;lajksdf ;ladjkf;lkj

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets scare me next week....looked good today vs. Indy.

Never know what kind of confidence the NY assholes will have.

Hope we can finally come out and just blow the Jets out of the water.

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Least Clutch Team Ever!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well...that blew

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:53 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Is it too soon to call it like it is yet? Brady just isn't a clutch QB anymore. It sucks because we have so many fond memories of him winning down the stretch for us, but he's been pitiful in that area recently.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:30 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

0-3 against bird teams. 3-0 against nonbird teams.

The Jets could break either way (some people call Jets "birds")