Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 04-16-2007, 04:41 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.
Default Draft Strategy

In all my years of covering/studying the draft (only 5-6 years) I have never seen a situation with the Giants like this one. There are so many different directions we can go on April 28th if you think about it. I mean, without any trades, I would be happy with a CB, FS, WR, LT (Brown), or LB.

On top of that, there are so many different directions we can go in to acquire players at that position. I don't see a trade up in the 1st happening unless it is just a few spots to nab Nelson, but I can see a trade up in the 2nd or 3rd to grab a player like Ross, Griffin, Meriweather, Poz, Meachem....the list can go on. As many of you know, I have been saying that perhaps the best way to approach the draft is to stay put at 20, take BPA at one of our positions of need (above), and then trade our 2nd and 3rd to move up and grab another player in the top 40.

My rationale behind that is the lack of depth in this draft class but very strong top 40. We could possibly acquire two players ready to start off the bat and real get something to build around, missing one pick wouldn't derail us from our effort to rebuild this squad. I realize some of you will talk about the amount of holes we have on this team but honestly, there really aren't a ton of roster spots available for next year. Being down one pick won't hurt us in that scenario as we would still have 4 more to go.

BUT-I realize that many of you would much rather trade down and acquire extra picks and I'm not exactly 100% against that. I would not want to trade out of the 1st altogether because we need, absolutely need to get an impact player. Not necessarily one that will make the impact right away, but someone that can be relied upon as a starter for the next 5-6 years at least. I'm sick of the day one picks that end up sucking, in my opinion that has really been the difference between us and legit Super Bowl contention. Our day 1 needs to start turning into a strength rather than a weakness. With that said, the extra picks increase our chances of finding that sleeper. Look at the 2003 draft for example....we had 11 picks in that draft, 8 in the last 4 rounds. Some of those day 2 picks were Diehl, Ponder, Tyree, Walker, and Lucier. By no means are they superstars, but they all helped us win some games. Especially when you look at Diehl, arguably our most valuable offensive lineman, and Tyree, a pro bowler, it is hard to argue that getting extra picks is the wrong way to go.

So, you tell me. What do you think is the most effective draft strategy? What do you think we should do this year, and why? Let's try to keep the hostility out of this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Number 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 04:50 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm a guy that drafts mostly on need. A bit off topic, but I've heard that this draft is a relatively weak one in the first round. Colin Cowheard, ESPN radio host, had a bit on his show today that claimed this point He also said one analyst told him that there are only 18 players in this draft worthy of first round picks, but it is extremely deep between rounds 2-5. So it would be best to trade down, but if this the common consensus among NFL GMs, it made be hard to do so at this point. I would trade down personally if the opporunity arose. We have about 5 needs that could make a case as day one needs. If we can turn 3 first day picks into 4 first day picks and an early 2nd day pick, we should do so IMO.

PS - I hope this thread doesn't get as hostile as the previous one.
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:33 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It depends for me.

Im a big believer in establishing dominance along the offensive and defensive lines.

I also like drafting need, but I won't sacrifice grade for need, if theres a large discrepancy. Sometimes I would rather address a smaller need with a more talented player opposed to just drafting the BPA in our largest need.

I also have certain preferences. I prefer not to take WRs until round 3, as I feel that its the most overrated position in football. Im opposed to round 1 RBs unless a can't miss prospect (AD) falls to you. I don't like taking round 1 CBs unless he has shutdown potential.

Im a big believer in taking olinemen early and often. I also like taking dlinemen early and often.

But it depends, every year is different. Those are my general rules of thumb though.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:55 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!

It would be really nice if a guy like Adam Carriker, or another highly touted player fell to us so that we can use that pick as leverage and trade out of it. I think that if he fell to us at 20 we'd be able to trade down to 21 with Denver looking for a DE, and maybe be able to pry away Dre Bly. Just a thought.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky bobby View Post
It would be really nice if a guy like Adam Carriker, or another highly touted player fell to us so that we can use that pick as leverage and trade out of it. I think that if he fell to us at 20 we'd be able to trade down to 21 with Denver looking for a DE, and maybe be able to pry away Dre Bly. Just a thought.
I just have a feeling that Denver is gonna make some kind of move on draft day. They always do. Somehow, Shannahan is gonna put it in Dan Synder one more time.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:20 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
It depends for me.

Im a big believer in establishing dominance along the offensive and defensive lines.

I also like drafting need, but I won't sacrifice grade for need, if theres a large discrepancy. Sometimes I would rather address a smaller need with a more talented player opposed to just drafting the BPA in our largest need.

I also have certain preferences. I prefer not to take WRs until round 3, as I feel that its the most overrated position in football. Im opposed to round 1 RBs unless a can't miss prospect (AD) falls to you. I don't like taking round 1 CBs unless he has shutdown potential.

Im a big believer in taking olinemen early and often. I also like taking dlinemen early and often.

But it depends, every year is different. Those are my general rules of thumb though.

our D-line is close to dominance. I feel Cofield will become a VERY good player for yaers to come, and i bet you wont find another DT who had 2 INTS last year!! Also as your old, old sig(with great old D greats) we need tough smash mouth LB's. our O has enough fire power to compete if we put a strong tough D on the field that wont tire out at the end of games.

Number 10- i agree, we can go so many ways on draft day. But also look at it this way, we dont have a HUGE GLARING need. LB and CB are both obvious needs, but we have depth and some young talent there. Our right side of the OL is solid and talented but the left is unproven if diehl moves or we start guy. also toomer and plax are good WR targets and moss has good potential, but toomer is again and moss is coming off injuries(same with toomer), so we could go WR. lots of possibilties for us. I feel we cant go wrong going CB or LB round one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:07 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Unless Patrick Willis, Amobi Okoye, or Adrian Peterson miraculously drop to #20, I think we should look to trade the pick away if possible. If not, I'm going to throw something together here real quick.

1. Joe Staley LT
2. Craig Davis WR
3. Usama Young CB
4. Earl Everett OLB
5. Laron Harris DT
6. Romance Taylor RB
7. Craig Dahl S
8. Best TE available
Old 04-16-2007, 08:23 PM    (permalink
GiantRutgersFan
Veteran

GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GiantRutgersFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Unless Patrick Willis, Amobi Okoye, or Adrian Peterson miraculously drop to #20, I think we should look to trade the pick away if possible. If not, I'm going to throw something together here real quick.

1. Joe Staley LT
2. Craig Davis WR
3. Usama Young CB
4. Earl Everett OLB
5. Laron Harris DT
6. Romance Taylor RB
7. Craig Dahl S
8. Best TE available

We cant go offense the first 2 rounds. thats very high for Davis and Young as well. And idk how comfortable I would feel with an "Usama" on our team... Get your name changed or get a nickname or something....
Old 04-16-2007, 10:05 PM    (permalink
hugegmenfan
Pro Bowler

hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hugegmenfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersFan View Post
We cant go offense the first 2 rounds. thats very high for Davis and Young as well. And idk how comfortable I would feel with an "Usama" on our team... Get your name changed or get a nickname or something....
i totally agree. if we take staley 1st round which im starting to open up to a lil bit more defense must be addressed in the next 1-2 picks.

sig by jkpigskin

2007 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

2011 SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS
hugegmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.Number 10 is a cocksman.

Staley is the one guy I would be furious with in the 1st.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 04-16-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Number 10
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I'm a guy that drafts mostly on need. A bit off topic, but I've heard that this draft is a relatively weak one in the first round. Colin Cowheard, ESPN radio host, had a bit on his show today that claimed this point He also said one analyst told him that there are only 18 players in this draft worthy of first round picks, but it is extremely deep between rounds 2-5. So it would be best to trade down, but if this the common consensus among NFL GMs, it made be hard to do so at this point. I would trade down personally if the opporunity arose. We have about 5 needs that could make a case as day one needs. If we can turn 3 first day picks into 4 first day picks and an early 2nd day pick, we should do so IMO.

PS - I hope this thread doesn't get as hostile as the previous one.
No offense but Cowherd is one of the worst guys in the world to listen to regarding the draft.
Quote:
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Old 04-17-2007, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are so many different directions we could go in but I don't see how all that different it is than any other year. I mean, last year we all thought we had an idea where the Giants would go, and they picked a DE. The last position we thought would get chosen. So it is anyone's guess what direction we head in.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:13 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
Staley is the one guy I would be furious with in the 1st.
I'm very intrigued with his athleticism, especially with teams loading up on speed rushers to rush the blind side of the QB. He might not be a great run blocker, but he could buy Eli lots of time in the pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 View Post
No offense but Cowherd is one of the worst guys in the world to listen to regarding the draft.
Can't disagree with that, but he gets his information from other sources, which have at least some credibility. Here is an article about it by Peter King

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...g/04/15/draft/
Old 04-17-2007, 05:46 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-NFLDC

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I see Staley at 20, I will turn off the tv, he is probably going to be good but we have other needs and going with a project pick at a small impact position isn't something we should do. 1. CB, 2. LB, 3. LT, 4. S, 5. RB, if we do something similar to this than I think we'd be alright

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote