Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just curious but is there nothing in between game-manager and elite QB? How many quarterbacks can succeed when forced into must-pass situations against a great defense who is generating tons of pressure with just four defenders and who has basically taken away that quarterbacks only real threat at receiver? Maybe a handful? How many of them succeed 100% of the time in the face of such conditions? None. How many quarterbacks can consistently convert third downs with 10+ yards to go? A QB is elite if he converts 35-40% of those and pretty damn good if he converts 20-25% of the time in that situation.

There is something in between elite QB and game-manager, and that is where Alex Smith falls. He is a borderline top 10 QB who can sometimes lead his team back from big deficits if he has some help, like against the Eagles last season, and can sometimes even put the team on his back and lead them back from small deficits, like the Saints last year. He, like every other QB in the history of the NFL, obviously plays better when those around him are playing better and plays worse when they are playing worse.

Last edited by abaddon41_80 : 10-16-2012 at 04:16 PM.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Top 10?!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Without looking at names I could think of probably 15 guys I would take over Smith and I'm sure I'm missing some, and that shouldn't surprise anyone

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think, even with Sunday's game, it would be hard to argue against him being at least around the top 10 right now.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Without looking at names I could think of probably 15 guys I would take over Smith and I'm sure I'm missing some, and that shouldn't surprise anyone
15 guys playing better right now or 15 guys you would take over him?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:05 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and Shaun Hill is a top 20 QB...
Old 10-16-2012, 04:07 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brady
Rodgers
Brees
Eli
Peyton
Ben
Rivers
Romo
Stafford
Ryan
Flacco
Schaub
Cutler

I'm not even gonna include guys who played 3 years or less or else I could name another 5 maybe even 7 or 8 easily that I'd want over Smith.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:09 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

You cannot seriously make a case that Stafford, Romo, Cutler and Rivers are playing better than Smith this year. Schaub, Flacco and Roethlisberger are all performing about the same as Smith this year as well.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Big Ben owns Smith this year. Only number that Smith has over Ben this year is completion percentage.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No more Alex Smith talk please! We've already wasted too much time talking about this average QB. He's a mediocre game manager end of story.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:26 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I absolutely think that if you put anyone of those guys in Smiths position with the same offense/weapons/defense/responsibilities they out perform him. I'm pretty sure Rivers and Stafford would love to only have to put up 1 TD pass and still win games. If those QBs don't play great in a game they lose.
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the 49ers don't make it to the SB, I don't think Alex Smith is SF's starting QB in 2013.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:55 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
No more Alex Smith talk please! We've already wasted too much time talking about this average QB. He's a mediocre game manager end of story.
I don't agree with your view of Smith but you are right. No more Alex Smith talk. If people are so against Smith that they could argue for guys like Cutler and Stafford being better than him this year then no amount of arguing anyone can do can change their minds
Old 10-16-2012, 07:32 PM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Schaub, Flacco and Roethlisberger are all performing about the same as Smith this year as well.
Stop talking.

I was going to respond to your initial post until I read this. Especially Roethlisberger. If you think Alex Smith is comparable to Big Ben, then this conversation is over. He's light years behind Joe Flacco. Matt Schaub? A little less insulting, but still... he's not even Matt Schaub. There might be a class of QBs between elite QBs and game managers... Schaub can go in that category. Smith is about as average of a QB as there is in this league. And he's holding that offense back. It is a fact, and they wont win a Super Bowl with him at QB. I guarantee it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote