Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post
My favorite!

How's Schotty doing in St. Louis btw? Oh. You don't say.
St. Louis is averaging 18.3 points per game, good for 26th in the league. Not a large sample size, but still.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:01 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Chargers ran it 11 times and threw it 24 when they were up 24-0. The sudden growth of "omg don't blame OCs you don't know what's going on!!!!" is beyond stupid. Sometimes play callers do in fact do stupid ****.
1. They were averaging around 3.5 yards per clip. Not exactly setting the world on fire.

2. Peyton scored immediately to start the half. He then went on to go 13 for 13 before having an incomplete pass. They were scoring. The Chargers couldn't just run out the clock, if they tried with their monstrous 3.5 ypc run game, we'd all be killing him for not putting the game in his franchise qb's hands. Which leads to:

3. If I had Ryan Mathews as my running back, and Phillip Rivers as my qb, I'd trust Rivers to close the game out over Mathews too.

Mathews sucks. Closing the game out with him isn't the safest bet either.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's not blameless. But I can understand why he put his faith in Rivers. I don't think any of us expected him to throw all those picks in the 2nd half.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:25 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
he wasn't really getting it done in the first half either. *shrug* i understand putting the ball in your best player's hands, but sometimes you really ought to realize that you should stop trying to be cute, and just grind it out. it's not even like the receivers were open and that norv had found some flaw in the defense that rivers just failed to exploit.
I don't know. It's tough to say in hindsight. Like I said earlier, had he ran the ball the entire second half, and played extra conservative, with the rate that Peyton was going, he was going to score anyway, and we'd be talking about how Norv played it too conservatively today.

I think after Peyton scored the first touchdown so quickly in the 2nd half, and Rivers got stripped for a touchdown, that changed the landscape of the game. The Broncos had all the momentum. Countering that by going into a shell and running the ball wouldn't work either. It would just fire the Broncos up more.

They needed to throw for some first downs and tame the fire. It didn't happen. They lost.

I understand the arguments against him today, and I won't say Norv is free of blame, but I didn't notice it being a major problem within the flow of the game as I watched it live. I only realized the issue after I saw the box score.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:44 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
Icon

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm gonna agree with BBD on this one. If i'm Norv I'm putting on Rivers and not Matthews. Don't want to play the if game but I think throwing it was their best bet.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chargers passing game is balls. Their tackles can't pass protect, Rivers isn't as accurate as he once was, he doesn't throw a great deep ball, and his balls generally lack zip. And their receivers are very pedestrian, including Gates.

Last night the Chargers scored 7 points due to executing an offensive drive.

Another 7 came on one well-executed play, and the rest was the result of special teams/defense.

I've been driving the Chargers bandwagon forever, but it's entirely possible that Rivers simply isn't as good as we thought he'd be.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:50 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

The running game is balls too. Bigger balls actually.

That's the thing. You're damned either way. This isn't like the Eagles having McCoy getting 10 carries vs a terrible run defense in Detroit.

This is Ryan Mathews and a poor OL.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:51 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

Put it this way:

Imagine if the script was flipped. Would we be saying

"Peyton should have stopped passing and handed off to Slowshon the entire second half"

???

I'm using Moreno instead of McGahee bc McGahee is better than Mathews.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:52 PM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
St. Louis is averaging 18.3 points per game, good for 26th in the league. Not a large sample size, but still.
With a OL that has Wayne Hunter as its best guy. And scrub journeyman WRs that the Jets wouldnt use.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

I understand that. I don't blame you for feeling that way. But sometimes you have to overdo it to get the point across.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:16 PM    (permalink
ArkyRamsFan
Veteran

ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ArkyRamsFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.f.s. View Post
My favorite!

How's Schotty doing in St. Louis btw? Oh. You don't say.
Well, considering all of the OL injuries and now Amendola is out for awhile, I feel it is safe to say that Schotty has not been Schitty at all so far.....
ArkyRamsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:59 AM    (permalink
y.f.s.
Rookie

y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.y.f.s. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Chargers ran it 11 times and threw it 24 when they were up 24-0. The sudden growth of "omg don't blame OCs you don't know what's going on!!!!" is beyond stupid. Sometimes play callers do in fact do stupid ****.
I have no problem with somebody attacking the structure of an offense, or how it's designed, or what I think coaches at every level struggle the most with - misuse of player roles.

What I can't stand is "hurrrrrrrr they didn't run/pass it enough I knew every play that was coming hurrrrrrrrrrr." It's ******* stupid and largely correlation based.

There's a difference between running smart and running to show how big your balls are, or to run out clock with an entire half still in play. If you want this to be a legit criticism, look at how many 1st down runs SD called, what their YPC was for it, and do the same for 1st down passes. Why first down? It's the most important down in the game. You get more 1sts than any other down and if you can just get 4 yards on 1st, you become something like 70% more likely to convert a 1st over the next two downs.
y.f.s. is offline   Reply With Quote