Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-22-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Welp, I meant to post that in the RDT.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Last edited by Brent : 09-22-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:11 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No students in the teachers' lounge.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
I didn't take it as bragging since it was pertinent to the discussion.
After looking at that site, and the way that system is set up, as I see it, the MAT is the course work you would acquire if you had acquired a Bachelors of Arts in Edu.

I admit, I may be a bit on the defensive on this subject as well. I have met far too many people who fast track them selves to a Masters in Edu. (Administration), then think they are better than me (a teacher with 11 years experience, certified in 4 subjects (PE, computer literacy, math and english), serves as a committee chair of a state mandated SWPB committee, on the SBLC and school improvement committee, and the athletic coordinator). By the way that is just this year alone.

Oh, also on a side note, due to enrollment numbers, they took my sports journalism class away and give me 5 classes of PE (it actually allows them to accommodate more students during the same amount of time) So now I teach two classes of robotics and 5 classes of PE. The cool part is that I can now where tennis-shoes to school.
Haha, I understand. A lot of people do the MAT program because it just makes more sense then minoring in secondary education (the secondary ed minor is 30 credits) so the MAT program, normally a two year program, can be condensed with certain prerequisites. I'm a little different, since I didn't go here as an undergrad and am also getting my masters in English.

I understand what you're saying though.

I'm curious, what's the process to get certified to teach in multiple subjects? Like I mentioned before, for my undergrad degree I've got a minor in history and I was hoping I might be able to teach that as well but I'm not sure how or if I am able to get certified to teach that.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In Louisiana, you have to go back and take the Praxis II and the PLT for that content area to earn "Highly Qualified" status.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:16 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm thinking about going back to school for a masters to teach. Any tips for a 25 year old to get into the game quickly?

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
I'm thinking about going back to school for a masters to teach. Any tips for a 25 year old to get into the game quickly?
Find the right ppl to shag.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:06 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
What Raiderz said, and;

I guess that depends on what you hope to teach and what your degree is in. The simplest advice I could give is get yourself to a school similar to the one you teach want to teach at and volunteer and start becoming fluent on issues teachers face and determine your stance and reaction to them.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this is awesome

[http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3r53gz/
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seven up was awesome. I loved that game.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:17 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm currently student teaching in a 7th grade math classroom and it's going really well. I'm also a head football coach at the 7th grade level and it's a paid position, which is nice. I'll spend nine weeks student teaching at the middle school and then I'll spend nine weeks student teaching in a 1st grade classroom.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:48 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
I'm currently student teaching in a 7th grade math classroom and it's going really well. I'm also a head football coach at the 7th grade level and it's a paid position, which is nice. I'll spend nine weeks student teaching at the middle school and then I'll spend nine weeks student teaching in a 1st grade classroom.
Must be nice. I coached a 7th grade team when I student taught and they didn't pay me. What made it worse was that half the other male teachers were pisses at me because I took potential money away from them.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:55 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Yes, today is Saturday.
Yes, I am currently setting in my classroom.
Yes, you will work weekends and during the summer.
No, you won't necessarily get paid any extra, monetarily, for it.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, today is Saturday.
Its when they graduate and say, "Thank you Mr. Feeney...eerr..Schneider, for everything. I also won't miss you trying to look under my skirt.", that makes it all worth it. Right CJ?

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:16 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, today is Saturday.
but you will have less stress by getting **** done

Old 10-06-2012, 08:18 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
but you will have less stress by getting **** done
I got a ton of crap done.

Louisiana revamped its PGP format and has begun the switch over to Common Core. This, in addition to the new ed. laws in this state is making teaching a chore instead of a joy. Now add to that, the fact that all my classes changed after the 6th weeks of school. It in essence put me six weeks behind.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Haha, well that's too bad CJ. Getting jerked around by the system is never fun I'm sure.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Louisiana revamped its PGP format and has begun the switch over to Common Core.
Texas' STAAR is basically the same thing. In essence, it's AP questioning.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Haha, well that's too bad CJ. Getting jerked around by the system is never fun I'm sure.
I feel like working extra hours and not getting paid is pretty common in basically any serious career...

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:29 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I feel like working extra hours and not getting paid is pretty common in basically any serious career...
Then I should be treated, respected, and initially compensated to reflect that fact.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Then I should be treated, respected, and initially compensated to reflect that fact.
I respect you CJ! I respect teachers more than plenty of other occupations which do a lot of work for little/no extra pay.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:25 AM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, today is Saturday.
This is why i never feel bad when i do chose to leave right after the kids do. I may not always be there for my full contract day, but the way i look at it, my district will always "owe" me for the late nights, early mornings, weekends, etc that i put in outside of the contract hours. This isn't even including work done in the summer.

I am jealous that you are in on a saturday. i used to be able to do that.....
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:43 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well, I just applied to the urban fellowship program at Rutgers, so there's that
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:46 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
I wasn't really referring to that. Merely to the being jerked around by the system (i.e. having to deal with these new teaching restrictions).
Old 10-22-2012, 02:30 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

I think this would be more geared toward Brent, or any other English teachers, but how do you typically read your books for class? I'm pretty old school, I suppose. I typically get a paperback and annotate a bunch of things I would want to discuss in class.

However, I need to read a lot more of the classics and HS required reading books and am debating getting a tablet (Kindle HD, Nexus 7, iPad mini, etc.) to store a lot of the books on there. A lot of the classics are free there, but I'm a little nervous about the note taking element on it.

How do you usually read your books?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:21 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I think this would be more geared toward Brent, or any other English teachers, but how do you typically read your books for class? I'm pretty old school, I suppose. I typically get a paperback and annotate a bunch of things I would want to discuss in class.

However, I need to read a lot more of the classics and HS required reading books and am debating getting a tablet (Kindle HD, Nexus 7, iPad mini, etc.) to store a lot of the books on there. A lot of the classics are free there, but I'm a little nervous about the note taking element on it.

How do you usually read your books?
Personal preference: paperback for annotations. That said, if you are teaching on-level, you won't be discussing much beyond the literal meaning of the text. Hell, you'll be lucky if half the kids read the assigned text. This is the inherent problem in having kids read "classics" like Animal Farm or whatever. Yes, they should be reading something that is important as far as the literary canon is concerned, but what is it that just about every English teacher wants? For kids to ******* read. Who cares if it's The Hunger Games or Harry Potter? I wouldn't build a curriculum around those but, there are so many excellent books, especially non-fiction, out there that it's counter-productive to be assigning kids the same goddamn books over and over. Of course, that's why they are assigned over and over because of the logical fallacy of "that's what's always been taught" or some other damn nonsense. There are a few things that the state expects a student to read over the course of the school year, but they don't dictate what I assign all year.