Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 08-27-2012, 05:03 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Second round pick, IMO.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:15 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigaro View Post
Its a mountain in the Himalayas. Supposed to be quite difficult, more so than Everest.

(It also a name for synthetic marijuana, with potentially serious side effects.)
The first one I knew, but not the second. Interesting, the synthetic marijuana is significantly worse for you than the natural kind? I can't imagine anybody at a major university (least of all a major athlete) not having access to the natural kind (even if it is illegal.)

So that's kind of weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Second round pick, IMO.
You take a guy in the second round after he sits out of football for a year in order to get a serious drug problem under control? Especially a guy who doesn't fit an obvious NFL mold (just ask yourself "which current NFL players does Mathieu remind you of?")

Interesting.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:56 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-Pro

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
The first one I knew, but not the second. Interesting, the synthetic marijuana is significantly worse for you than the natural kind? I can't imagine anybody at a major university (least of all a major athlete) not having access to the natural kind (even if it is illegal.)

So that's kind of weird.
Can be. They are cheaply created chemicals created with little regard to health concerns. You can suffer extreme anxiety, heart attacks, seizures, organ failure and occasionally even death(a basketball player for my hometown university died of the stuff). Most people will just get high(although I have heard its not nearly as enjoyable as the real stuff), but there is no real way to predict how someone will react to it.

As for why its taken, there aren't any good reasons. Some people just want to try it, some people may have access to the natural stuff, but not as easily or cheaply so they just go with synthetic, and some use the synthetic stuff purely for the legality(possession, drug tests, etc.) Obviously LSU still disallowed the synthetic stuff and tested for it, so I honestly don't know what Mathieu's motivation to use this stuff would have been.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:48 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the thing is its legal for some reason as apposed to weed :/
Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 AM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't even know what that is, so either it's a really big deal, or not that big a deal at all.
I'm gonna go with the latter.
"He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert
ellsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:51 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
the thing is its legal for some reason as apposed to weed :/
But they still get you in trouble with the NCAA and with LSU, which is something Matthieu should be much more concerned about than the cops. I mean "college student gets busted for pot" is not exactly a big deal as far as the law is concerned in most places. "Athlete gets busted with pot, whether synthetic or not" is a big deal with the NCAA and most colleges.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 AM    (permalink
Miaoww
Veteran

Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Miaoww is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You take a guy in the second round after he sits out of football for a year in order to get a serious drug problem under control? Especially a guy who doesn't fit an obvious NFL mold (just ask yourself "which current NFL players does Mathieu remind you of?")

Interesting.
Which current NFL player did Cam Newton remind you of?

Can't pigeon hole these guys.
Miaoww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:29 AM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaoww View Post
Which current NFL player did Cam Newton remind you of?

Can't pigeon hole these guys.
But the "who does this guy remind you of" question is something that actual NFL scouts and general managers consider in actual NFL war rooms. It's possible that someone is an unprecedented talent, and that merits further consideration (though I would say that Cam Newton reminded me of Ben Roethlisberger, but with better wheels.)

The thing is though that guys who are unprecedented talents are rare. 5-9 180 lb defensive backs without great speed or technique are not especially rare. Mathieu's aggressiveness and instincts are rare, but the fact that he's short, small, slow, and his technique is iffy means that he's going to be a hard sell in a lot of war rooms, since he's not an obvious fit anywhere.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know where people get the idea that he's slow from. The dude is very explosive.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mathieu might be undersized, but there are two elements of his skill set that just canít be taught. Thatís aggressiveness and ball skills.

As a coach, I can teach him to shift his weight at the line. I can teach him how to use his hands. I can teach him proper footwork. I can teach him how to position himself at the top of his back pedal. If he shows heís coachable at the Senior Bowl practices, and then does the same at the NFL Combine position drills, then I can teach him these things. Sloppiness in technique isnít a permanent state.

What I canít teach him is aggressiveness. Thatís a mind set thatís tough to ingrain in someone. Iíve seen 6-2, 210 lbs. cornerbacks that are soft as Kleenex and couldnít tackle themselves out of a wet paper bag and never improved. Mathieu is tenacious even though heís just 5-9, 180 lbs. Heíll stick his nose in traffic in run support and heíll battle with receivers in coverage no matter how much size he gives up to them. Cornerback is one of the most demanding positions in football. A lot of corners just canít cope with blowing their assignments or having Calvin Johnson abusing them. Those corners wash out. Iíve seen some factors to suggest that Mathieu isnít one of the ones that will get down on themselves and break.

What I canít teach him are ball skills. And thatís what separates Mathieu from most of his fellow prospects. His ball skills are supreme. Both when the ball is cradled on a runner and when the ball is in the air. He finds it and he fights for it. Those, to me, are valuable qualities that donít come around often at his position, so Iím willing to accept some of the less desirable stuff. Heís got innate football intelligence though. Your head gets your body to the football quicker than your legs ever can.

I expect Mathieu to time slow, too. Heís a short-strider. But, as long as his hips are flexible and his short-area quicks are there, Iím comfortable with his timed speed. I think he profiles best as a slot corner in the NFL. He wonít be matched up against a ton of blazers there, so his long speed isnít as pressing of an issue.

Overall, before the drug issues surfaced, I thought the second round was a fair valuation. Since being dismissed from the team, I think heís much closer to the fourth. He wasnít a special talent to begin with and now heíll have to deal with the stigma of being a user. Janoris Jenkins was a much better prospect as a pure cover corner and he slipped out of the first even though the value of that position is at an all-time high right now.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 PM    (permalink
underscore
Veteran

underscore could make a wolverine purr.underscore could make a wolverine purr.underscore could make a wolverine purr.underscore could make a wolverine purr.underscore could make a wolverine purr.underscore could make a wolverine purr.underscore could make a wolverine purr.underscore could make a wolverine purr.

Honey Badger may have no choice but to go pro

A Sports Illustrated cover story reports that former LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu received benefits from a night club that could jeopardize his future eligibility.
"Since last January, Mathieu has allowed his image to be used on a flyer promoting an event at a local night club, appeared in several promotional videos online and... received benefits at the club that could affect his eligibility," the story reads. It is widely known that Mathieu is working towards rejoining the LSU football program, re-enrolling in classes after a four week rehab stay, and head coach Les Miles recently said he expects a "happy ending" regarding the two. The junior is obviously trying to make a positive change, but prior missteps may make it all for naught if eligibility cannot be achieved
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 AM    (permalink
SniperDosPuntoCero
Rookie

SniperDosPuntoCero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SniperDosPuntoCero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SniperDosPuntoCero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SniperDosPuntoCero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SniperDosPuntoCero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SniperDosPuntoCero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SniperDosPuntoCero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SniperDosPuntoCero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SniperDosPuntoCero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SniperDosPuntoCero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SniperDosPuntoCero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Honey Badger may have no choice but to go pro

A Sports Illustrated cover story reports that former LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu received benefits from a night club that could jeopardize his future eligibility.
"Since last January, Mathieu has allowed his image to be used on a flyer promoting an event at a local night club, appeared in several promotional videos online and... received benefits at the club that could affect his eligibility," the story reads. It is widely known that Mathieu is working towards rejoining the LSU football program, re-enrolling in classes after a four week rehab stay, and head coach Les Miles recently said he expects a "happy ending" regarding the two. The junior is obviously trying to make a positive change, but prior missteps may make it all for naught if eligibility cannot be achieved
Can you link?
SniperDosPuntoCero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:24 AM    (permalink
underscore
Veteran

underscore could make a wolverine purr.underscore could make a wolverine purr.underscore could make a wolverine purr.underscore could make a wolverine purr.underscore could make a wolverine purr.underscore could make a wolverine purr.underscore could make a wolverine purr.underscore could make a wolverine purr.

From Rotoworld,. but it's obviously citing an SI story
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

******* ****** just got arrested for weed again

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:55 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Better declare for the draft and enjoy that 4th-5th round salary.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have paid a lot of money to see the looks on the faces of Mathieu and Jefferson when the blue lights went off behind them. They saw the sportscenter update flashing before their eyes.

Feed Moncrief
Old 10-25-2012, 06:03 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 PM    (permalink
G Mobile
Veteran

G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.G Mobile is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He doesn't have getting away from the cops speed
G Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:01 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The dude is just pissing away his opportunity
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:26 PM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
******* ****** just got arrested for weed again
I'm pretty sure he's not draftable at this point. This is after he went through an exhaustive rehabilitation program. It apparently didn't take because the bust that resulted in the arrest of Matthieu as well as a few other former LSU Tigers occurred in Matthieu's apartment.

Last edited by PossibleCabbage : 10-25-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mathieu apparently wasn't arrested on charges of intending to distribute. He'll "only" be charged with possession. Still wouldn't touch the guy.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...d-drug-charges

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:55 PM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay, which is a bigger display of stupidity:

Tyrann - at any point in time apparently
or
Jevan Snead - believing Todd McShay

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:13 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

I believe in Snead

Feed Moncrief
Old 10-25-2012, 09:27 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Definitely not a draftable prospect. He's vastly undersized. He doesn't have a true position. He isn't that fast. And he makes Vince Young look like Albert Einstein. If anyone even signs him, Mathieu will be out of the league in two years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin. †One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one. †Awesome. †Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks.†
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:15 PM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Definitely not a draftable prospect. He's vastly undersized. He doesn't have a true position. He isn't that fast. And he makes Vince Young look like Albert Einstein. If anyone even signs him, Mathieu will be out of the league in two years.
Yes, I still can't believe people said he was still a 1st Rounder after he got kicked out of LSU. I mean he is undersized, not strong or fast enough, huge gambler and then add the Drug problem. I admit he has a nose for the ball and can make som big plays but I don't think he will make it in the NFL.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote