Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 10-25-2012, 12:45 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is quite possibly one of the worst things I have ever seen defensively. The Pats drop 7 into zones, the Jets send 3 WR/TEs out and still complete a 20+ pass to Keller.

4 defensive players appear to covering ghosts

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:05 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yay for soft zone coverages!

To be fair, the LB (second circle from the top on the second level) is likely responsible for Keller there. I can't tell who it is though.

The safety and near side corner are actually doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Last edited by descendency : 10-25-2012 at 02:10 PM.
descendency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:47 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post

This is quite possibly one of the worst things I have ever seen defensively. The Pats drop 7 into zones, the Jets send 3 WR/TEs out and still complete a 20+ pass to Keller.

Wow this is really bad. Generally in zone defense you 'float' in this kind of situation. Akin to an overload or rollout. This siutation is no different. The defensive guys need to be aware of this ****. What a waste. I expect teams have/will do this to expose the one on one matchups and lack of blitz (i read somewhere we're blitzing 7% of the time or something).
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

You have to keep in mind that this is clearly a play designed to beat the zone coverage schemes BB employs. The deep route clears the sector the TE inhabits right behind the linebackers. There's not much the players could've done in this situation IMO, it's all scheme. This is typical BB bend don't break defense. The underneath receiver is covered as well in the sense that he might catch the ball, but it'll be for a minimal gain. I can probably find 15-20 situations where the coverage is worse than here in that game alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:06 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
You have to keep in mind that this is clearly a play designed to beat the zone coverage schemes BB employs. The deep route clears the sector the TE inhabits right behind the linebackers. There's not much the players could've done in this situation IMO, it's all scheme. This is typical BB bend don't break defense. The underneath receiver is covered as well in the sense that he might catch the ball, but it'll be for a minimal gain. I can probably find 15-20 situations where the coverage is worse than here in that game alone.
Yeah that's my point. Realistically the players played this one how it was coached. The Jets were in max protect and only sent 3 guys into routes. Look at Hightower's angle on Greene. He played this one really well - kept the guy in front of him and was there to make a tackle for a minimal gain should the ball be thrown to him.

Likewise, McCourty and Dennard play the deep route really well.

It was a good call to beat a defensive scheme like this. I'm not so much complaining about that. However when you bear in mind the that it is Lex Hilliard and Jason Smith (extra TE I believe) then the close side of the field should realise that Smith in particular isn't a threa to come out into the play.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:27 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Ras-I Dowling to IR for the second year running which is just ******* great. I wonder if the Pats will be looking to trade for someone now

Old 10-26-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ras-I Dowling to IR for the second year running which is just ******* great. I wonder if the Pats will be looking to trade for someone now
I would love for them to trade for Mike Jenkins, but there is 0% chance that happens. This ******* blows. Just means more Arrington I guess.
cmarq83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:55 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarq83 View Post
I would love for them to trade for Mike Jenkins, but there is 0% chance that happens. This ******* blows. Just means more Arrington I guess.
Yay!!!!

It is a damning testiment to the ability to bring in guys who can play well at the position when you think that on Sunday the Pats best CB may well be a 7th round rookie player.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:45 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmarq83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Remember in the offseason when everyone was saying how we were going to be fine at CB because McCourty was going to bounce back, Dowling was going to stay healthy, and that Kyle Arrington was a good player?....
Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Remember in the offseason when everyone was saying how we were going to be fine at CB because McCourty was going to bounce back, Dowling was going to stay healthy, and that Kyle Arrington was a good player?....
No better time for optimism than before the **** hits the fan.

I honestly had hoped Dowling would stay healthy, however even when he was he was buried on the depth chart. Arrington just has no business as a boundary corner. He can be adequate to good in a physical slot role, however outside he is a liability. I still maintain McCourty is a quality player at CB, however with Chung and Gregory hurt I don't see him moving from safety for the forseeable future. They tried Ebner and Wilson back there and it was a monumental fuckup

Old 10-26-2012, 04:00 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yay!!!!

It is a damning testiment to the ability to bring in guys who can play well at the position when you think that on Sunday the Pats best CB may well be a 7th round rookie player.
lmao. I understand the frustration but we both know that's not fair. Dennard was 2nd round talent with a box of rocks for a brain. He was a steal* in the 7th.

*unless/until his assault case lands him in the clink.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:13 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Time to move on, I guess. Tons of talent but he's a total ***** about injuries. He's playing limited minutes and still can't stay healthy for an entire season? :/
Old 10-26-2012, 04:34 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Time to move on, I guess. Tons of talent but he's a total ***** about injuries. He's playing limited minutes and still can't stay healthy for an entire season? :/
2 season ending injuries in what 150 total snaps?

This one stings because you figured he was the last card the Pats had to turn this abortion of a secondary around. So many good cornerbacks were available in the offseason, but we passed them all up. Hindsight is 20/20, but it looks now like passing them up was a huge swing and miss.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We should just go out and sign Ty Law. I'll gladly take him in his 40s than any of these schmucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:34 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Right but zones are meant to adjust most of the time. The play is like was said a zone overload play to make a player make a bad decision. Still, the backside safety should've played over a bit and it looks like we let the wrong guy go free. The sad part is I don't know if this is coaching or lack of talent or both. I wish BB wasn't so opposed to bringing in fresh blood coaching wise to the D.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 10-26-2012, 05:35 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No better time for optimism than before the **** hits the fan.

I honestly had hoped Dowling would stay healthy, however even when he was he was buried on the depth chart. Arrington just has no business as a boundary corner. He can be adequate to good in a physical slot role, however outside he is a liability. I still maintain McCourty is a quality player at CB, however with Chung and Gregory hurt I don't see him moving from safety for the forseeable future. They tried Ebner and Wilson back there and it was a monumental fuckup
I still have alot of hope for both of those players but the speed of the game is obviously too much for them at this point.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 10-26-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradysKnee View Post
Right but zones are meant to adjust most of the time. The play is like was said a zone overload play to make a player make a bad decision. Still, the backside safety should've played over a bit and it looks like we let the wrong guy go free. The sad part is I don't know if this is coaching or lack of talent or both. I wish BB wasn't so opposed to bringing in fresh blood coaching wise to the D.
The play is designed to hit all 3 levels of the defense on one side. Sanchez has to make a reasonably easy read to find the open receiver. Our scheme is far too concerned with not giving up the big play down the field and not concerned enough with being aggressive and stopping most plays.

The safety, LB, and CB all are watching a backup OT and FB stand and block air. That's the downside to the Belichick scheme.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 PM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The play is designed to hit all 3 levels of the defense on one side. Sanchez has to make a reasonably easy read to find the open receiver. Our scheme is far too concerned with not giving up the big play down the field and not concerned enough with being aggressive and stopping most plays.

The safety, LB, and CB all are watching a backup OT and FB stand and block air. That's the downside to the Belichick scheme.
We still give up the big play frequently though lol.
I do remember us being really aggressive blitzing in the past though. I don't know what happened to that thought process with BB.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
Old 10-27-2012, 09:55 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradysKnee View Post
We still give up the big play frequently though lol.
I do remember us being really aggressive blitzing in the past though. I don't know what happened to that thought process with BB.
Didn't we blitz a bunch against Tennessee when we obliterated them?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:06 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Quote:
Didn't we blitz a bunch against Tennessee when we obliterated them?
This is the thing that frustrates me with the whole indivdual game plan thing that Belichick does. He blitzed quite regularly as well aginst Arizona and had good success in doing so. From watching the Pats, when Brandon Spikes blitzes through the A gap good things generally happen. Mayo is also a very good blitzer and one of Hightower's strengths coming out was how good a blitzer he is. So it's not like we don't have the horses to do it, it's just at times Belichick thinks it's better to use coverage based looks rather than pressure based looks.

Another thing that annoyed me during the Jets game is Chandler Jones was often used to hit TEs to dirsupt the timing of the plays. However often it was Cumberland he was knocking off. That doesn't make any sense at all to me. Why use your best pass rusher to disrupt the timing of a back TE? At best Cumberland was going to be the 3rd read. Let Jones rush the passer. It's what he does best.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:21 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Patriots/Rams preview:

http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/...eek-eight.html
Old 10-28-2012, 10:27 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great write up, as usual Matt.

It's a homecoming for both Lloyd and McDaniels. I can see Lloyd having a big day today.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
cmarq83
Pro Bowler

No Mankins today, bleh.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No Mankins today, bleh.
Yeah, that really sucks... :( The DL is terrifying. If our OL isn't ready Brady is going to get killed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:40 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Yeah, that really sucks... :( The DL is terrifying. If our OL isn't ready Brady is going to get killed...
Not as sucky as our secondary.