Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2012, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco56
Veteran

Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Denver Bronco56 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Established Player Apperciation Thread

I ran across an article today mention how many great players we have been lucky to watch over the last 10+ years such as Champ Bailey, Tony Gonzales, Ray Lewis etc...

It was a Denver Post piece so it was focused on the high level that Champ Bailey has been playing this year and all homerism aside, It hit me that Im watching one of the best to play his position in the history of the NFL and he could play another 5 years he could decide to hang them up in a year who knows.

This isn't a this guy or that guy should be in the H.O.F type thread but more so just pointing out the players that have changed the game and giving credit to players that have been able to have success and play at a high level for not just a year or two but over the course of their careers.

That being said I present Champ Bailey

I'm going to go out on a limb," Smith said last week as snow descended on the Broncos' practice facility. "This is real close with him and another guy. [Bailey's] the best football player, period, any position I've ever played with. John Elway is a legend. Champ is at that status.

- Rod Smith said this about Bailey

Over his career Bailey has said that he has been targeted on average 3-4 times a game, and that is impressive considering the players that crossed paths with Bailey such as Marvin Harrison, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson, Jerry Rice and even the elite WR's today he still matches up with and has had no problems blanketing them also.

His 2006 season was in my opinion and others that are not broncos fans agree that it very well could have been the best season by a cornerback in NFL history, but was over shadowed because he was beaten out by Jason Taylor(Dont think he should have won the award but Jason Taylor did have a good year).

During that season teams were so afraid of Champ Bailey they would only throw it to his side of the field three or four times per game. He was only truly tested 35 times. Of those tests he brought in ten interceptions and only allowed four receptions. Of those ten interceptions 6 were in the Red Zone directly taking points from the opposing teams. And to throw more praise he was able to amass 85 tackles and 73 of them solo, taking in account that he only allowed 4 receptions it was not as if he was getting beat and making the tackle most of them were in the running game. He has been considered one of the best run defending defensive backs over his career.

All in all Bailey has been on of my favorite players since he was a Redskin, I still remember the day the Broncos pulled the trigger sending Portis to Washington.

Im not saying Bailey is still the best, that argument would be the same as when people try to still claim Kobe Bryant is the best in the NBA. It takes nothing away from them knowing and accepting they are no longer the BEST, but for players their age to still be considered among the best in the business speaks volumes to how good they were in their prime and how good they have been over their careers. And taking in account that his resume has coincided with the NFL evolving into a passing league making it that much more impressive to have been feared and avoided as he has been.

Career Stats
-201 Games played
-870 tackles (778 Solo)
-3 Sacks
-9 Forced Fumbles
-141 Passes Defended
-52 Interceptions
-4 Inteceptions returned for Touchdown

-89 Receiving Yards
-11 Rushing Yards
-1 Rushing Touchdown

-303 Punt Return yards

Last edited by Denver Bronco56 : 10-31-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Denver Bronco56 is offline   Reply With Quote